UK UK - Alistair Wilson, 30, murdered at home, Nairn, Scotland, 28 Nov 2004

shadowdancer

Reaction score
I have always wondered about this murder.

At first it seemed so bizarre that somebody would kill this 'ordinary joe' in such a brutal and audacious manner, but then I saw articles indicating that he may have borrowed a large sum from illegal loan sharks, who then tried to blackmail him into laundering money through his bank.

I still can't believe that the killer is still at large, and of course the crime occurred with his small children in the house, which makes it even more shocking.

Any thoughts on this one? I was quite surprised to see no thread already.

I have always wondered about this murder.

At first it seemed so bizarre that somebody would kill this 'ordinary joe' in such a brutal and audacious manner, but then I saw articles indicating that he may have borrowed a large sum from illegal loan sharks, who then tried to blackmail him into laundering money through his bank.

I still can't believe that the killer is still at large, and of course the crime occurred with his small children in the house, which makes it even more shocking.

Any thoughts on this one? I was quite surprised to see no thread already.

I have been reading about this case for a while. I read that that AW and his wife had tried to use their house as a small hotel when they first bought the place. They failed to make a go of it. Their house was next door to a pub,which also was a small hotel. AW had complained to the local council about people who stayed in the pub's rooms throwing bottles into his garden. It struck me as strange that he got so annoyed. It sounded like he may have had some run ins with the pub's owners.

also, i read that he was about to go to work someplace else when he was killed, he had quit his job at the bank. The whole thing with the turquoise envelope was strange.Something seemed off there...is it true that several people in the town thought that AW's wife had him killed ? It is a fascinating case...

I've read slot about this case and sometimes just in my opinion and things I have read there might never have been anyone other than his "wife" 🤔

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have been reading about this case for a while. I read that that AW and his wife had tried to use their house as a small hotel when they first bought the place. They failed to make a go of it. Their house was next door to a pub,which also was a small hotel. AW had complained to the local council about people who stayed in the pub's rooms throwing bottles into his garden. It struck me as strange that he got so annoyed. It sounded like he may have had some run ins with the pub's owners.

also, i read that he was about to go to work someplace else when he was killed, he had quit his job at the bank. The whole thing with the turquoise envelope was strange.Something seemed off there...is it true that several people in the town thought that AW's wife had him killed ? It is a fascinating case...
Yes I think that could be a possibility as we only have his wifes testimony as to their being an envelope, a person etc ...

** There (spelling error) ^^^

Interesting. I"ve seen his face pop up in the news occasionally but never knew the full details. I don't understand why the gunman would have a conversation with him, let him go back into his house and only then shoot him in the head when he came back to the door. What a patient assassin.

Another thing that massively stands out is that police released a video of a child being told his dad was dead. I don't think I can think of a case where that has happened before.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

A new update on this case...

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/ne...-banker-alistair-wilson-shot-nairn-highlands/

Highlands banker murder mystery ‘could be solved’ as new witness named 13 years after doorstep hit

Nairn dad Alistair Wilson, 30, was gunned down in on November 28 2004, as he prepared his children for bed - his murder remains unsolved despite an extensive police investigation

By Laura Paterson
6th November 2017, 3:34 pm
Updated: 6th November 2017, 3:39 pm

A CRIMINOLOGY professor has said he believes the murder of a banker shot on his doorstep almost 13 years ago is now “eminently solvable” after receiving new information.

Father-of-two Alistair Wilson, 30, was gunned down in Nairn in the Highlands on November 28 2004, as he prepared his children for bed.

The murder of the 30-year-old remains unsolved despite an extensive police investigation.

David Wilson, Professor of Criminology at Birmingham City University, told BBC Radio Scotland he was recently sent a package containing new information about the case and now believes it can be solved.

Interesting. I"ve seen his face pop up in the news occasionally but never knew the full details. I don't understand why the gunman would have a conversation with him, let him go back into his house and only then shoot him in the head when he came back to the door. What a patient assassin.

Another thing that massively stands out is that police released a video of a child being told his dad was dead. I don't think I can think of a case where that has happened before.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

How did the shooter know for sure he would come back to the front door ? Wouldn't he have shot at the first opportunity ?

The new information is very interesting. It seems that there was another witness, not just Alistair's wife. Also, it has been revealed that the name "PAUL " was on the turquoise letter which the shooter supposedly gave to Alistair. What has never been revealed is the conversation Alistair and his wife had when he went to her with the envelope. Although it has been stated that Alistair knew the contents of the envelope. The criminologist said that Alistair's banking contacts should be looked at.

I read an article ( did not save it ) about a year ago, that stated that Alistair had handled a loan application for a business there. The loan amount was for GBP 1 million. Alistair had been confident he could get the loan approved, and he told the company CEO that it was going to be approved. However, the loan was denied by Alistair's supervisors. This article mentioned this loan denial as a possible motive. I guess it could be depending on the company involved. jmo

I don't buy that he was shot because he was laundering money.

I had a job where I managed very large amounts of money. It was simply not possible for me to stick another fifty grand into it and launder it. Banks have very strict codes of conduct and everything is accounted for. Plus if this was possible surely bankers would be getting shot by gangsters all the time?

I wonder was the "new witness" also in the house at the time as it appears there was three adults in the house including the victim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a job where I managed very large amounts of money. It was simply not possible for me to stick another fifty grand into it and launder it. Banks have very strict codes of conduct and everything is accounted for. Plus if this was possible surely bankers would be getting shot by gangsters all the time?

I wonder was the "new witness" also in the house at the time as it appears there was three adults in the house including the victim.

I think it must have been her dad at the home according to the 999 call transcript

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4396158.stm

I think it must have been her dad at the home according to the 999 call transcript

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4396158.stm

Yes, her father was there. I read that a man and his wife were passengers on a bus going to Nairn. The man noticed another passenger, dressed like the wife's description of the killer. He seemed nervous, and was last seen walking towards Alistair Wilson's house. I wonder if the guy on the bus is the new witness ? jmo

I agree about the money laundering, likely not true. However, I do wonder about the large loan which Alistair told his clients would get approved, and it didn't.

No way I would have continued to live in that house with two small children. Considering I was the only living witness who had seen the killer close up...jmo.though.

Yes, her father was there. I read that a man and his wife were passengers on a bus going to Nairn. The man noticed another passenger, dressed like the wife's description of the killer. He seemed nervous, and was last seen walking towards Alistair Wilson's house. I wonder if the guy on the bus is the new witness ? jmo

Yeah I just read about the couple who saw the guy dressed exactly the same, but no, apparently not the shooter, hmm!

I too would never have set foot in that house ever again, particularly out of fear for my children.

<modsnip: Not an approved source>

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I just read about the couple who saw the guy dressed exactly the same, but no, apparently not the shooter, hmm!

I too would never have set foot in that house ever again, particularly out of fear for my children.

This website has a good recap of lots of articles. Not sure about the first part though.

https://spidercatweb.blog/2015/12/18/the-mysterious-murder-of-alistair-wilson-the-nairn-banker/

After reading more carefully, it states that there was an independent witness to the shooting. To the shooting. So, either someone else in the house, or someone going into or out of the pub ?

The Wilsons bought that house with the idea of using it as a small hotel. It is a huge house, very grand, and it looks expensive ? But the hotel plan supposedly didn't pan out. Why, I wonder ? Also, did they need the income from the possible hotel guests to run the house ? I did read that Veronica's brother was going to cook for the hotel guests, I wonder if he ever lived with the Wilsons ?

People are so layered. Always have secrets, right ?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INSYSIV
Back