Laura Babcock Murder Trial 11.29.17 - Day 24

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's been waiting for a chance to address a jury since he started writing letters to CN. He even plotted a particular balance of emotions to project his innocence. Worried but stoic, or something like that. I think this deserves copious mocking in the form of other word pairs. Like he needs to be focused, but passionate. Or beefy, yet fragile.

I think the jury might see DM as Sleepy and Dopey. :jail:

He's been waiting for a chance to address a jury since he started writing letters to CN. He even plotted a particular balance of emotions to project his innocence. Worried but stoic, or something like that. I think this deserves copious mocking in the form of other word pairs. Like he needs to be focused, but passionate. Or beefy, yet fragile.

Deceptively Honest

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

People are a little hard on this guy's lawyering skills, but this was an unwindable case. If he stayed quite like Dungey, people would have ripped on him. This ain't TV and no amount of lawyering skill was going to get him off, he basically confessed in those letters for crying out loud. But from all those that watched in person, all I heard was that he did a pretty admirable job and that most were impressed.

I said it before, its a travesty this guy didn't decide to do something positive with his life because if he'd put his mind to it, he could have been quite successful.

Would have thought MM deserving of the same view from those that can see DM in a more positive light. Jmo.

I'm not worried about DM. He's cooked his own goose here and I don't think he made any friends with the Jury.

I'm waiting on the Decision Trees. That's what we really need to hear so we can place MS where he needs to be - guilty or not.

I'm hoping his involvement will be locked down in the Closing and the Decision Trees will help the jury get there.

M00

I can't say we know that for sure.
The closing is each party's version of the story the evidence is supposed to tell.
So... DM could basically say MS was the last to see LB alive, per the letters.
And MS could basically say, No evidence points to me, it was him based on cell pings and my obliviousness to spliffs and missions.
And the Crown could basically say... MS got DM the tools, DM did the execution and they both did the clean up.
And the judge will review each piece of evidence and scenario with the Jury...
And then the jury will decide...

IMHO. MOO.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

MS/ Dungey could also say that DM was a master photo shopper and cut him into the incinerator with rake photo.

Again, thanks DM for bragging you’re a great photo shopper :facepalm:

97% :giggle:

ETA: Sorry, I couldn't resist giggling about the 97% after that witness, GA, last night. I totally agree dar107. I am glad that the family will have closure soon. I think about LB's parents all the time, I can tell that she grew up in a loving home. It is always a tough time when our kids grow up and become adults. Sometimes the transition doesn't go well, especially when mental illness is involved. I really hope her parents don't blame themselves for this in any way. DM is a horrible person who ruined so many lives in addition to the lives he took.

Unless you have a mentally ill child, no one knows the difficulties of this situation. My daughter is now 24 and has been battling Bipolar/Schizophrenia for many years! I've finally found a home for her that takes care of her and her everyday needs cuz I can’t do it anymore. Every parent deals with these situations in different ways. I was able to holdback on placing her somewhere for over 7 years. Some parents I’ve learned over the last few years just kick them out and hope they smarten up. Unfortunately most of them end up dead.

If his Closing is written in the same style as his letters to CN or his father's obituary he's in a heap of trouble.

DM, if any of your crew are reading here maybe they will pass this on KISS. Just remember, no gang lingo, no street slang, no ridiculous emotive writing.

We don't understand anything you've been saying or writing since the beginning. KISS (Keep it simple stupid) :gaah:

People are a little hard on this guy's lawyering skills, but this was an unwindable case. If he stayed quite like Dungey, people would have ripped on him. This ain't TV and no amount of lawyering skill was going to get him off, he basically confessed in those letters for crying out loud. But from all those that watched in person, all I heard was that he did a pretty admirable job and that most were impressed.

I said it before, its a travesty this guy didn't decide to do something positive with his life because if he'd put his mind to it, he could have been quite successful.

I think the positive reviews are more because people expected him to be a blathering idiot rather than he did well.

Bringing up the video to the guy who said he saw LB would be a fireable offense for a real lawyer.

I suspect more MS-related evidence was argued out of the trial. If the Crown has him for M1 for obtaining the guns, why not also for WM then? I think there is something more.

The M1 for MS on this one is the eliminator and the prep of it that indicates knowledge of what was going to happen. The guns are a small part.

With WM there was no incinerator so no charge.

MS provided an intro for DM and MWJ months earlier in an entirely different context. Every single dealing since then with regard to guns was between the DM and MWJ directly. Beyond that, DM himself didn't even solicit the gun presented as evidence in this trial, he essentially got cold called out of the blue by MWJ trying to shop a gun. Finally, we don't even know if that gun or any other gun was connected to Laura's death. Given all that, it repeatedly surprises me that people think it's reasonable to make MS responsible in the law for the alleged murder weapon.

The whole point of MWJ coming back the second day was to refute the cold call on the guns and explain they were discussions. Did you miss that?.

Stoic LMAO. To be fair, he was living on chunky soup and fish crackers. Definitely denying the food network-inflicted hedonistic tendency.

For MS, two hypothetical cases come to mind.

1) Imagine that the person who assembled the rifle that Oswald used to kill JFK also bragged about this rifle at some point killing a president. Even though the prediction would be scary and highly improbable, is this person guilty?

2) Somebody setting a landmine off a rarely visited trail. Somebody goes to relieve him or herself and gets killed. Despite this being a low probability event, setting the landmine was clearly directed to kill or main someone. Does this look like M1?

How this applies to Smich. At the time of purchasing the incinerator, they didn't kill anyone yet. Could MS really anticipate that the incinerator will be used for a murder? Would it be hard to believe if he said that he considered this a joke?

Unless you have a mentally ill child, no one knows the difficulties of this situation. My daughter is now 24 and has been battling Bipolar/Schizophrenia for many years! I've finally found a home for her that takes care of her and her everyday needs cuz I can’t do it anymore. Every parent deals with these situations in different ways. I was able to holdback on placing her somewhere for over 7 years. Some parents I’ve learned over the last few years just kick them out and hope they smarten up. Unfortunately most of them end up dead.

Psychopathy is not a mental illness.

I am so happy to hear that you and are daughter are able to get her the assistance she needs. We have a family member with schizophrenia and other mental illnesses as well but he is in his 60s now. You are right, every parent would deal with these situations differently. It is so hard when they are adults because they can make their own choices and there is nothing you can do about it. It sounds like her parents did have a rough go of it, I heard that they did change the locks at one point, but she was able to go back home when she needed to since that is where she dropped off her dog and her belongings before she went missing, and her parents did know that she was planning a trip so she spoke with them. It also sounds like she was trying to get help but not always consistent with following her treatment plans, which i’m sure you know is not uncommon. Our province needs to do a much better job of providing mental health care and services, especially support services for family and friends. Sadly, I do believe that this is another example of a situation that could have been prevented long before it happened. :(

Does anyone recall when that one juror wanted to be finished by (and if not they were going to walk away before deliberations)? I'm wondering how that fits into the projected timeline.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

It doesn't. They agreed the juror would be dismissed it the timeline for him/her to be free on the 21st didn't work. I highly doubt there will be more than a week or deliberations.

In many ways, I'm happy that DM represents himself because it gives everyone, especially the jury, a much more precise idea of who he is. On the contrary, it makes me sick that he was questionin LB's father in court. No father should have to be questioned by their child's accused killer.

I don't stop thinking about this case; Laura, her family, how I loathe DM, my lack of respect for CN. I don't think about MS much, to be honest, but I think he's equally guilty for being so willing and eager to follow DM. He was DM's puppy; he would have done anything without questioning it.

I mentioned in another thread that the relationship between LB and DM really resonates with the one I had with my ex. I struggle with mental health as well; not to the extent of Laura, from what I've gathered, but I know how horrible it is. I know what it's like to be so entranced with someone, that deep down, you know is bad. My ex wasn't nearly as deplorable as DM, not even close, but he didn't care about me like I cared about him. I now have a stable partner whom I love and loves me; a healthy relationship with him, taking care of myself, and away from the toxicity of negative people. I so, so wish Laura could have had that same opportunity because it's such a beautiful journey. To really move on from that person (hers being DM) and find your strength. Hoping that justice is served - although the real justice should have been Laura's life flourishing and continuing on this day.

[FONT=&quot]As the jury filed out — not for the first or last time Wednesday — Mark Smich turned around and grinned at Dellen Millard.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hard to evaluate that brief smile between the one-time best friends and, allegedly, buddy-killers in the murder of 23-year-old Laura Babcock. Hostile? Triumphant? Sly?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But it was the only time, with jurors at least sort of present, that the two men co-accused of first-degree murder have looked directly at each other in a trial that began Oct. 23.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It's been as if they hardly inhabit the same space, even if with their fates intertwined.

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/7971584-millard-smich-choose-not-to-testify-at-babcock-murder-trial-dimanno/[/FONT]

MS/ Dungey could also say that DM was a master photo shopper and cut him into the incinerator with rake photo.

Again, thanks DM for bragging you’re a great photo shopper :facepalm:

Not really. Because they didn't ask the expert witness if the metadata indicated it had been photoshopped. And he had testified that he could tell when an image had been photoshopped.

"In late spring of 2012, Mr. Nando LaRocca purchased a .32 calibre Smith and Wesson firearm from Miss Theresa Boisvert. This is the same .32 calibre Smith and Wesson that was later found at 5 Maple Gate Court in the fall of 2012. He paid $100 for it. On June 24, 2012, Mr. LaRocca sold this firearm to Mr. Matthew Odlum. He did so at the corner of Baby Point Rd. and Humbercrest Dr. in Toronto. When Mr. LaRocca sold the firearm to Mr. Odlum there was no ammunition in it."

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/...t-to-testify-at-babcock-murder-trial-dimanno/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike