Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #5 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
When my now 21 yr. old son was 3 he was staying at his Grandmother's house for the day. ..and he came up missing. Police were called, I rushed there and eventually he was found by an offficer curled up sleeping behind the A/C unit in the utility room. I was in sheer panic mode/ bewilderment the entire time. Thank God the news didn't show up because my reaction would've been scrutinized. .I wasn't a blubbering, sobbing mess....didn't shed a tear until he was found..however I was mentally to the point of losing all eloquent speech and saying God knows what in my panicked state. And I'm in Mississippi, so her words are not striking me as odd. We cannot really judge Mom's reaction in an interview until we have been in that position. And this was the first of 2 times he gave me a near fatal coronary by disappearing.

Yes. That's true. I had a moment in life like that. In my mind I immediately felt certain of doom. But I think I appeared cold and emotionless. When the little guy was found I cried uncontrollably for half an hour. I couldn't stop. It's like I was gripping on to sanity and control until I didn't have to!

I need to chime in on the social services chatter that has been brought up in the thread by several posters. I was a social worker for a very long time until I headed back to teaching again. There is a myth that wards of the state are minority juveniles. This is untrue. I can tell you that I have had many cases that dealt with families who were middle class and above. Civilians would shake their heads with what these cases were about. Like most organizations there is a pyramid for who is in charge, Most cases our hands are tied because upper mgt can call the shots. We can plead all we want but many action plans can be dismissed by a person who has no idea what is going in an individual case.

Social services needs to do a huge over haul in their policies but other agencies need to step up and stop relying on social services to fix every problem. That is the reason why that field is overwhelmed and overworked. It was heartbreaking to evaluate each case that was evaluated by a criteria form and that is how cases are prioritized to get a case worker out to investigate. I saw a steep climb in LE taking kids into their protective custody so the kids could get into the system faster.

Insurance companies need to approve more services and mental health organizations need to step up to take action because one system in the country is taking a direct hit to solve everything. The family unit in today's world is so different from the 70s and 80's and social services and other organizations are outdated and that sets them up for failure.

So before we all rant on case workers, ppl need to be aware that we are human and yes we make mistakes. Intentional....no. Yes there are a few bad apples but the majority have put in more hours than you can imagine in making a difference in a child's life but taking aim at a state level will not change it. More parent education needs to happen nation wide through various organizations but one agency can not solve the world's problems.

I don't believe anyone here is lumping all social workers together. These cases keep happening and it seems they always involve caseworkers who failed to do the job they were paid to do.

Semaj Crosby was living in a filthy home and a caseworker had just visited. There had been several visits. Caseworkers never bothered to find out how many people lived there. One estimate was 30. Her 7-year-old brother had a psychiatric disorder which required hospitalization several times and DCFS failed to follow up with the hospital.

Colton Turner's dad had begged CPS to get involved and they ignored his repeated calls. The agency ultimately fired several people.

A state agency has very well-paid leadership to make sure workers do their jobs but also fix broken processes and improve services. There should be intra-agency audits to make sure clients are actually seen. It is a systemic dysfunction and it seems to be nationwide. There are politicians paid to fix it.

Yes. That's true. I had a moment in life like that. In my mind I immediately felt certain of doom. But I think I appeared cold and emotionless. When the little guy was found I cried uncontrollably for half an hour. I couldn't stop. It's like I was gripping on to sanity and control until I didn't have to!

I had a child die suddenly and unexpectedly. I didn't cry then or at her funeral. I was stunned and numb and way beyond tears.

Wesley Mathews told LE that he put his daughter outside their house at 3:00 am in the morning as punishment for not drinking her milk. He was arrested for child abandonment. That was a cover up lie but he was still arrested for it.
I think we have the same thing going on with with the damned dressers. He told LE thats what he was doing that night. Cover up lie that got him arrested, along with the other arrest warrant.

Went on a geographical sleuthing mission, because I wanted to see what this area was like.
Here is a google drive map I made, using clues I gathered from videos of local reporters on the scene. Sharing for anyone else who wanted to see it. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1to5IRzl0BO0lYfbJvLBwfZHS5PA55XaX&usp=sharing

It is very interesting to look at these locations on Google, so you can drop onto the roads and see the actual river, etc.

Mariah's body was found in a branch of the Northeast Cape Fear River, off of Shaw Hwy (aka Shaw Rd). LE accessed the river from Shelter Creek Boat Launch, which is just off of Shaw Hwy.
Her body was found somewhere between Shaw Hwy and Shelter Creek Road, in this branch of NE Cape Fear River.
This chunk of river, which feeds into the ever growing NE Cape Fear River, is actually the Holly Shelter Creek (aka Shelter Creek). On the map I put points for the two uses of Holly Shelter Creek so people can see them. The location of where LE accessed the river is called the Shelter Creek Boat Launch. Here is a link to the boat launch info https://www.visitnc.com/listing/shelter-creek-boating-access
My guess is all the locals know it as Shelter Creek, but big Google Maps calls it NE Cape Fear River.

This is awesome - thanks GJean

( For reference:

Michael Turner pleads guilty, gets 20 years in Colton Turner case
http://kxan.com/2016/02/26/boyfriend-charged-in-colton-turner-case-expected-to-plead-guilty/

Eta: Reading up, ugh:

"The 20-year sentence did not sit well with Colton’s grandmother and grand-aunt who reminded the media of the toddler which was lost.

“His favorite place was under the kitchen sink and he loved the gummy bear song,” said grand-aunt Diane Battles. “I feel numb when it comes to Mike and Meagan. There is nothing I feel for them except hate.”

Court documents show Turner and Work did not want to take Colton to a hospital after he suffered serious injuries for fears they would be held responsible. The young boy would eventually succumb to those injuries, but Brand said Michael Turner is not accused of actively harming Turner. The charge of Injury to a Child by Omission is because neither he nor Work sought medical help for the boy’s injuries. A decision Brand cannot explain.

“I wish there was an explanation we could come forward with on why things happened the way they did,” Brand said. “Unfortunately there is not.”")

(Eta: Ugh, seems to be a theme:

"According to the internal investigation, there were four Child Protective Service investigations into the allegations that Colton was being abused. Supervisors and case workers failed to follow policy and made many mistakes. Three CPS workers were fired for how they handled the case." )

I feel for the grandmother. The mother won't go on trial until next May.

The parent’s right to parent being a bigger priority than a kid’s right to a healthy and safe home is something I will never understand. My ex is violent and is diagnosed a sociopath and is a malignant narcissist. For a long time he was only allowed to see my daughter when supervised by a court appointed therapist (because regular supervisors couldn’t keep him from bad behavior in front of her). Over time he did the bare minimum and was able to get visitation every other weekend, despite it not being in her best interest. She hates going and begs not to go, but I am required to literally force her into his car so he can “parent” her every other weekend in a toxic, angry environment... because he claimed he wanted to and is entitled to. Not only is he unable to parent because of his personality disorders, he and his new wife fight constantly and a lot of the blame is placed on her which is eff’d up.

The one time I didn’t force her into his car and honored her request to stay home after a particularly bad visit, instead of trying to encourage her to get in his car and go with him, he called the police on her. He knew I wasn’t withholding his parenting time, so he called the cops on a seven year old and told them she wouldn’t go with him. He doesn’t even enjoy her, but he is entitled to the time and so he will take it because he knows we don’t like it.

Yours is a situation that is all too familiar to me from my business. Terrifying.

Is that a law? So, hypothetically speaking, I could be arrested if there was a petition with 5000 signatures asking for my arrest? I’m not saying she innocent or not, but that doesn’t sound right. What would they arrest her for? I’m pretty sure if they had something to charge her with they would arrest her.

<modsnip> Im surr the powers that be are quite intent on justice for this little doll. We just have to wait and see what that justice is going to end up being.

I had a child die suddenly and unexpectedly. I didn't cry then or at her funeral. I was stunned and numb and way beyond tears.

Sorry for your loss - hugs.
We can't say how we would behave in that situation. We can think we know, but the reality is we can't say with 100% certainty. I know I would have pain and emotions that I've never felt before, but I have no idea how I would behave. After all the cases I've followed, I'm pretty sure my behavior would be picked apart and I would raise a lot of red flags.

Sorry for your loss - hugs.
We can't say how we would behave in that situation. We can think we know, but the reality is we can't say with 100% certainty. I know I would have pain and emotions that I've never felt before, but I have no idea how I would behave. After all the cases I've followed, I'm pretty sure my behavior would be picked apart and I would raise a lot of red flags.

Yes, but my child did not disappear. She died and there was a medical reason for it, so I was never blamed and never had to put on a performance to deflect blame. Although, to this day, I still feel some guilt, not because I did anything, but did not push hard enough when I had taken her to the doctors, the afternoon before. Intellectually, I know that I should not feel that way, but emotionally, I do. If only we could fix things with hindsight.

All this talk about the dad not being able to afford to get his kids etc. It’s interesting, but dad has a pretty bad past and due to TOS we will never be able to talk about it. It’s because of this I don’t really put a lot of stock in what he says. I 100 percent think he is genuinely grieving.

I don’t know where I’m going with this, but it’s frustrating to keep scrolling... but I’m trying LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I 100% believe dad that he had temporary custody of his kids due to abuse allegations. Also, Mariah didn't die in his care and he and his wife seemed immediately certain she was dead when they heard she was missing. Specifically they stated something to the effect of they were scared something like this was going to happen due to past abuse.

I believe him.

Yes, but my child did not disappear. She died and there was a medical reason for it, so I was never blamed and never had to put on a performance to deflect blame. Although, to this day, I still feel some guilt, not because I did anything, but did not push hard enough when I had taken her to the doctors, the afternoon before. Intellectually, I know that I should not feel that way, but emotionally, I do. If only we could fix things with hindsight.

:grouphug:

I 100% believe dad that he had temporary custody of his kids due to abuse allegations. Also, Mariah didn't die in his care and he and his wife seemed immediately certain she was dead when they heard she was missing. Specifically they stated something to the effect of they were scared something like this was going to happen due to past abuse.

I believe him.

I believe him, too.

RSBM. You mean like bio dad and his SO? The difference was amazing, although it is true that people react differently to crises.

Yes! It is true people react differently, but beyond her reaction, she just didn’t seem concerned about her daughter at all. I just don’t understand that reaction from an innocent, uninvolved mother or father. She had some tears in her eyes but I felt like she was grieving her loss because she knew Mariah was dead, not responding to the life threatening situation her baby was in.

Totally agree about bio dad and possibly nothing more than lack of resources. Each state has set guidelines/laws which dictate time frames for reunification. Termination of parental rights is not that easy. Unfortunately, the guidelines under which many children are returned is sub standard for lack of better wording, imo.

I’m surprised they let her have the kids back with him in the home. Maybe she misled them to think he moved out, and they eventually closed the case?

I don't believe anyone here is lumping all social workers together. These cases keep happening and it seems they always involve caseworkers who failed to do the job they were paid to do.

Semaj Crosby was living in a filthy home and a caseworker had just visited. There had been several visits. Caseworkers never bothered to find out how many people lived there. One estimate was 30. Her 7-year-old brother had a psychiatric disorder which required hospitalization several times and DCFS failed to follow up with the hospital.

Colton Turner's dad had begged CPS to get involved and they ignored his repeated calls. The agency ultimately fired several people.

A state agency has very well-paid leadership to make sure workers do their jobs but also fix broken processes and improve services. There should be intra-agency audits to make sure clients are actually seen. It is a systemic dysfunction and it seems to be nationwide. There are politicians paid to fix it.

Your right with your analysis but I just wanted to give an inside perspective. There are flaws in any type of organization and everyone needs to be held accountable. From State to Federal and many private areas as well which includes the justice system. The people that were elected or hired to protect people are failing miserably. But there are many ppl in these fields that give it their all but it is still not good enough because someone ends up hurt or is killed.

I believe him.

He did have the 3 children for a month but after the initial case with the mother was resolved , she regained custody.

I&#8217;m surprised they let her have the kids back with him in the home. Maybe she misled them to think he moved out, and they eventually closed the case?

I think that they have had him in custody for a while, longer than we know. Or closely watched.

I beg to differ regarding copper. Though NC may have different laws than TN, scrapyards don't want to be complicit in receiving stolen property.

Just last month we got a new set of breaker panels installed & had quite a bit of copper wire & related scrap from the old fuse box that came out. When I took it to the scrap yard they photocopied my drivers license, scanned my right thumbprint, & instead of paying me on the spot, issued a check through the mail, once it was confirmed there had been no reports of stolen copper matching the description of what I'd brought to sell.

I'm glad for failsafes like that, because like NC, there are many abandoned & unliveable houses around here that people have tried to strip copper from.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

A lot of places are above board but some places are lax.

Something I find very interesting......on EK's arrest record/warrant it lists the data in columns .....types, dates, descriptions, relationship. On 11/27 is an entry for missing person and under relationship, reporting party. He is the one that called LE to report Mariah missing. I just find this interesting.........

There's also a quote from FBI Agent Meador that Mariah's mother made the 911 call.

"It was too late to save Mariah the moment the 911 call came in," FBI agent Stanley Meador said of the call the girl's mother made Monday to report her missing. "The arrest warrants are public record and the records speaks for themselves. We will not discuss any details related to the homicide investigation."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mariah-woods-body-found-earl-kimrey-arrested/

I remember reading somewhere that both mom and b/f called 911 but I can't find the link anymore. If anyone has a link I'd appreciate it, in the meantime I'll keep looking for one.

I'd like to know if both did call and of course I'd like to hear the 911 call from either but it doesn't look like it'll be released for now.

The Daily News has requested and been denied two public records requests pertaining to the ongoing investigation into the missing 3-year-old girl.

On Thursday, the newspaper made a request to the Onslow County Emergency Operations Center for audio files of the 911 call made by Mariah Woods’ family on Nov. 27, the day the child was reported missing. That request was denied through Onslow County spokesman Chad Ray, citing orders from the authorities conducting the ongoing investigation and the Fourth Prosecutorial District Attorney’s Office.

On Friday, a request was made to the Onslow County Sheriff’s Office for deputy call logs made to the Woods’ residence for the past four months, since Kristy Woods and her boyfriend, Earl Kimery, moved into the home on Aug. 1. That request was denied by OCSO Maj. Chris Thomas without providing a reason.

http://www.jdnews.com/news/20171201/daily-news-request-for-911-audio-and-callout-logs-denied

He did have the 3 children for a month but after the initial case with the mother was resolved , she regained custody.

I'm very interested in how the case was resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member