Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #7 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's like someone else said, for them Thanksgiving is going to be tainted for a long, long time. And it will affect Christmas too, wherever they are and whoever they're with, and however much anyone tries, they're going to be missing their baby sister so much and wishing that she was there with them.

This is so heartbreaking. I'm not sure it is something they will ever get over.

Agreed. A reasonable policy is understandable and smart, but I don't know why anyone would need a $100,000+ policy. Usually large life insurance policies are insurance for the primary breadwinner to ensure the family can continue on in the case of his or her death.

Maybe enough for funeral expenses plus to cover paychecks for a period of time in case the parent(s) aren’t immediately able to return to work.

Would the type of abuse detailed in the CPS report have necessarily left physical traces that a doctor could find? I would think a 2-year old (as she was then) would be too young to tell anyone.

There are also other ways to abuse that won't leave traces on the child's body, or might only leave 'question mark' traces that could have other explanations. They might just not have been able to get strong enough evidence of it?

The thing is that if it happened the night she died, there's every possibility that it had happened before, and it might have taken a while to build up to this particular type of abuse, and earlier preludes to this act might not show up forensically or physically.
I'm betting he did much more to her, then what the brothers witnessed! (IMO)

Would the type of abuse detailed in the CPS report have necessarily left physical traces that a doctor could find? I would think a 2-year old (as she was then) would be too young to tell anyone.

There are also other ways to abuse that won't leave traces on the child's body, or might only leave 'question mark' traces that could have other explanations. They might just not have been able to get strong enough evidence of it?

The thing is that if it happened the night she died, there's every possibility that it had happened before, and it might have taken a while to build up to this particular type of abuse, and earlier preludes to this act might not show up forensically or physically.

If a child is being sexually abused, a specially-trained physician can do a forensic physical examination. They can run tests for sexually transmitted diseases and the older brothers are old enough to be forensically interviewed. I think little Mariah and her brothers had been suffering for quite some time and that's why the mother denied visitation to their dad. There is no doubt in my mind that the mother is going to be charged.

that may be too. but I said in a subsequent reply. it could be that the police wouldn't intervene when mom denied access. some states they will tell you its a civil matter and go back to court.

CPS cant change custody other than to temp remove to foster home... you gotta go to court for that.

This as a CPS case, why didn't he have the rights to visitation? I wasn't thinking of changing custody, but his right to see to them. If he had visitation, it should have been enforced without having to go to court with an attorney. I'm sorry, but I think dad dropped the ball on these children also.

Hi. New here. I noticed that too, but doubt they'd be quite so careless with relatively expensive, or at least precious, drugs. I haven't seen cocaine thrown out as one of the drugs of choice. Do people do lines of meth? I thought meth was smoked.

I finally decided it must be random dust. Would this be when EK's biological daughter was an infant? Could it be formula powder? A friend and I joke that it always looks like a Coke den in the kitchen after Daddy makes a bottle.

ETA: Dang. Supposed to be a reply to Tippy Lin post of horrible couple in kitchen circa Feb '15

How did KW become opened for discussion? Was she charged? I missed a lot.

Originally Posted by georgiajean
Now that KW is open for discussion, did anyone cache the video from her FB of her with Mariah, "reading?" I really wanted to watch it again, but KW took her FB down. It's the only video of Mariah that I know of.

Tricia’s post on page 1 of this thread explains it.

This is just my opinion, but I think that either one or both of the brothers either witnessed or heard it all. My heart is breaking for these boys who should be looking forward to Christmas and not attending their sisters funeral.

Living in a home where violence regularly occurs trains kids to be very very good observers. It can be the difference between getting hit or not, between getting yelled at or not. So my guess is that they were very aware of what was happening at all times in that home. And they likely are holding a lot of guilt that they were not able to stop what happened. (No one would expect them to have stopped it, but as the brothers, they are going to struggle with that for the rest of their lives, IMO).

Probably both. But she could had sold her body for drugs,and forgone having a man around. I think She's a narciccist, all about image. Look at me, I love my children so much, look at my boyfriend ain't he something.

I tried to keep an open mind. Devil's Advocate if you will. Her language didn't bother me at all, nor did her tears, or pauses, dinner out, where she stayed, etc... What I did find a bit odd, was that it appeared that she put on makeup for the camera. I'd have wanted to look presentable (jeans, clean shirt), and I don't even know if I'd thought about that... but I doubt I'd even thought of combing my hair. However, I know there's some females who apply theirr makeup the very first thing when they wake up each day. It's routine. One told me that her spouse has never seen her, in the morning, without makeup. She got up before him, and that was the first thing she did, apply her makeup. To each their own. Knowing what we now know, if the kids hadn't spoken up, I believe she'd have thrown EK under the bus, and went on with her life.

my step sons GAL asked to use the bathroom right away too. wonder what he was looking for.

There's an old trick social workers use. They go in the bathroom and count the toothbrushes..4 people but 5 toothbrushes would be a clue....JMO

that could very well be why the 10 yo got punched - for trying to protect Mariah.

Living in a home where violence regularly occurs trains kids to be very very good observers. It can be the difference between getting hit or not, between getting yelled at or not. So my guess is that they were very aware of what was happening at all times in that home. And they likely are holding a lot of guilt that they were not able to stop what happened. (No one would expect them to have stopped it, but as the brothers, they are going to struggle with that for the rest of their lives, IMO).

I feel, in an entire year, he couldn't go to CPS or Court to plea for the right to see his children? He wouldn't need and attorney for that. What would be the cost in that?
We don't know what actions he took during that year. We only know he hasn't seen them in that time and that he has tried to consult lawyers.

With only partial information, we cannot judge

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

that and her post about "what's gone is gone" on Sunday night (since deleted) makes you question her.

I tried to keep an open mind. Devil's Advocate if you will. Her language didn't bother me at all, nor did her tears, or pauses, dinner out, where she stayed, etc... What I did find a bit odd, was that it appeared that she put on makeup for the camera. I'd have wanted to look presentable (jeans, clean shirt), and I don't even know if I'd thought about that... but I doubt I'd even thought of combing my hair. However, I know there's some females who apply theirr makeup the very first thing when they wake up each day. It's routine. One told me that her spouse has never seen her, in the morning, without makeup. She got up before him, and that was the first thing she did, apply her makeup. To each their own. Knowing what we now know, if the kids hadn't spoken up, I believe she'd have thrown EK under the bus, and went on with her life.

I know, I am in CA and have had to call the cops on my step kids mom before. but some states, they wont.

not sure about NC but in some states police will enforce the custody agreement. I've had to call the cops even for my ex not letting me call my daughter during his parenting time, which is part of our plan, and they will contact him and encourage him to follow the plan.

bump - am I the only one to think this?

No, I think that they learned a lot from the boys and the grandparents may very well have thought that EK had something to do with this and talked with them, especially the eldest, and then called LE. CPS likely moved them from the grandparents so that mom couldn't try and come around. I'm just guessing but I'd say there's no visits for her at this point. If so it would be supervised by CPS.

This as a CPS case, why didn't he have the rights to visitation? I wasn't thinking of changing custody, but his right to see to them. If he had visitation, it should have been enforced without having to go to court with an attorney. I'm sorry, but I think dad dropped the ball on these children also.
Several people have given examples that this is just not true in most places. LE does not typically enforce custody issues, so he would have had to handle it through the courts.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Could him (EK) taking the boys and not Mariah, mean that she was ill or bruised in a way that would be noticeable and mom was trying to get her better? Possibly knowing how hurt she was and not seeking medical aid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member