Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #9 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to agree that the court is ruling against the bio dad simply bc there is a "volatile" relationship between AW and KW. But as I know well, just bc one parent is volatile, doesn't mean the other one is, but the other one has to engage if they want their kids, so they appear to be playing a role in the volatility, when it may not be their fault at all. In my case, my ex knew how to play me so he appeared calm (bc he's a psychopath with no fear or emotions) and I had so much PTSD I was traumatized and reacting from that. But in this case, I think AW is being punished for responding to KW's behavior. Unless there are other abuse/neglect charges or investigations against AW that we don't know about, he should get the kids. The oldest son seems to have some serious issues (surely resulting from a hostile environment). even if that resulted from when he lived with both bio parents, I think there is a string likelihood KW was the instigator. I would even go so far as to imagine that any previous SA could have been on the part of KW.

When CPS understands the nature of psychopathy and abuse, they will be able to better evaluate parents.

CPS and the court are acting in the best interest of the children, not the parents. I doubt the court is happy the father provided confidential documents about his children to the news media.

If my ex did what KW and her family did despite my warnings to the court, I would have done the same thing, in the best interests of the children.

CPS and the court are acting in the best interest of the children, not the parents. I doubt the court is happy the father provided confidential documents about his children to the news media.

agreed busylady danthrplgst and tortoise...i could be wrong but foster placement in that particular neck of the woods might be extremely scarce. they may be hard pressed to find a suitable relative much less another family altogether. and without moving them to another school district or church. which seem to be the only steadiness in their life right now.

Possible. However, now, they broke the rules, and let mom visit. I'm not especially surprised. So, the kids may have been moved, again, it seems. CPS really should have seen that one coming.

IMO releasing of those documents did nothing but cause more trauma to the children, those records are sealed for a reason and that should of been respected and handled in court. Those records are out there now forever so not fair to those children.

IMO releasing of those documents did nothing but cause more trauma to the children, those records are sealed for a reason and that should of been respected and handled in court. Those records are out there now forever so not fair to those children.
I agree.Some very hurtful stuff was released about the oldest son and he has enough to deal with already.

If my ex did what KW and her family did despite my warnings to the court, I would have done the same thing, in the best interests of the children.

I don't agree with you and apparently neither does the court. The silence about yesterday's court hearing has been deafening.

So are we for sure that mom broke the CPS rules about visiting the kids? I am not seeing MSM about it...and I would think this information would be sealed, anyway.

So are we for sure that mom broke the CPS rules about visiting the kids? I am not seeing MSM about it...and I would think this information would be sealed, anyway.

No I don't think we know for sure - came from a source that is not approved.

According to this news article the reason for Friday's hearing was to decide if the allegations of abuse are accurate.

Woods and his ex-wife, Kristy, were scheduled to be in court over the custody of the boys Friday morning, where the court will decide if the allegations of abuse are accurate. If the court rules that the allegations are true, there will be another hearing to determine the fate of the brothers.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/crime/article188156729.html#storylink=cpy

I hope this is the case. For the love of Pete, the grandfather has an alcohol problem that is bad enough that they had to include a stipulation that grandma had to handle all care for the two kids, well three, if you include grandpa. Living with a drunk is no fun. I know. I lived with one. Whoever came up with approving this idea should be fired.

There are steps and protocol that happens in every case. Social workers are only human and make mistakes. Most relative placements become permanent if the court approves the plan presented by social services during the first initial dependency hearing. I doubt they had all the info from the family because each adult who is living in the home has to go under a background check and give references before a placement is considered final. That is how my state operates. Many things to do and it can be overwhelming and heartbreaking at the same time.

There are steps and protocol that happens in every case. Social workers are only human and make mistakes. Most relative placements become permanent if the court approves the plan presented by social services during the first initial dependency hearing. I doubt they had all the info from the family because each adult who is living in the home has to go under a background check and give references before a placement is considered final. That is how my state operates. Many things to do and it can be overwhelming and heartbreaking at the same time.

Has any media report stated that the CPS was currently involved with KW at the time Mariah went missing?

Can someone please cite the specific law/s that state it is prohibited for a parent to share information provided to them from CPS. I'm not finding federal or NC state law that prohibits it. I've seen posts accusing AW of just that but it needs to be shown as fact when referred to as such. I see that NC CPS agencies are required by state law to prepare a written summary for public release "if a child dies, or is in serious or critical condition as th
result of sickness or injury caused by suspected abuse, neglect, or dependency and the
person responsible for the fatality or near fatality is charged in the incident (or would have
been charged were it not for that person's prior death
*" but found nothing about a parent's right to share that info. When I adopted a foster child I was given all of her reports and info and was told as her legal parent the info was mine and though I was free to share do so with discretion and in the best interest of the child. Sorry, I am a stickler for fact unless stated it's opinion. If someone has a link to the actual federal or state law clarifying, please share. It doesn't matter to me if it is legal or not, I just want to know which it is, TIA. That said, unless AW has been charged or is a named as a POI why are we not treating him as a victim, per rules?

* https://www2.ncdhhs.gov/info/olm/manuals/dss/csm-60/man/CS1428.PDF

it appears to me that AW filed a motion for emergency custody and it was denied. that was based on his concerns of abuse. I'm not sure what his handwritten responses were for. I don't see that he filed a motion for contempt of court against KW for not letting him see the kids. as far as I know, since the custody arrangement was already set by the divorce agreement, without winning the emergency custody motion he would have no other recourse to change the parenting agreement other than filing contempt repeatedly. contempt is difficult to prove and with KW making up stories and causing there to be volatility in the relationship that makes AW look bad, it may not have been in AW's best interest to file contempt. He could have called LE every time KW refused visitation so there was a record, but if the cops don't bother doing a welfare check, that would have gotten him nowhere. From AW's hand written statements, it seems the CPS social worker may have even been friends with KW/EK. AW was in a tough situation, without a lawyer he really had no options, except to video KW every time he tried to get his visitation, but I don't know what the consent laws are in NC for audio-videotaping.

<modsnip>

What kind of blatant and malignant stupidity would lead DCF to think this was a good idea? Brilliant...absolutely brilliant!! Put the boys with someone who is hostile to their father to further poison their mind and manipulate them to defend their egg donor.

Gah! The stupid...it's just so strong.

edited... i get it now.

CPS has completely and utterly failed in this case.

oh I missed something. So KW saw the kids since they were taken into DSS custody?

Possible. However, now, they broke the rules, and let mom visit. I'm not especially surprised. So, the kids may have been moved, again, it seems. CPS really should have seen that one coming.

Can someone please cite the specific law/s that state it is prohibited for a parent to share information provided to them from CPS. I'm not finding federal or NC state law that prohibits it. I've seen posts accusing AW of just that but it needs to be shown as fact when referred to as such. I see that NC CPS agencies are required by state law to prepare a written summary for public release "if a child dies, or is in serious or critical condition as th
result of sickness or injury caused by suspected abuse, neglect, or dependency and the
person responsible for the fatality or near fatality is charged in the incident (or would have
been charged were it not for that person's prior death
*" but found nothing about a parent's right to share that info. When I adopted a foster child I was given all of her reports and info and was told as her legal parent the info was mine and though I was free to share do so with discretion and in the best interest of the child. Sorry, I am a stickler for fact unless stated it's opinion. If someone has a link to the actual federal or state law clarifying, please share. It doesn't matter to me if it is legal or not, I just want to know which it is, TIA. That said, unless AW has been charged or is a named as a POI why are we not treating him as a victim, per rules?

* https://www2.ncdhhs.gov/info/olm/manuals/dss/csm-60/man/CS1428.PDF

treating him as a victim does not mean blindly accepting every word he says as absolute fact either.

ETA

I don&#8217;t think there is a law per se but from someone who has been a foster parent, adoptive parent and Guardian ad Litem volunteer, I can say that at every turn the parties are informed that no photographic reproduction of the likeness of a child in the custody of the Department of Social services shall be distributed without the express written consent of the department and absolutely no information about the custody process while the department has custody shall be publicly disseminated without the express written consent of the department. All information regarding the minor child whose custody is with the Department of Social services shall at all times remain confidential unless the department has issued written consent to the contrary.

Those &#8221;rules&#8221; and conditions were practically burned into our brains. I had to seek written consent for newspaper articles regarding the child&#8217;s accomplishments or awards and some social workers went so far as to insist we obtained consent to allow the child to be included in school yearbooks.

Obviously, once an adoption is completed the department no long has custody and the choice becomes the parents.

treating him as a victim does not mean blindly accepting every word he says as absolute fact either.

The father and his girlfriend have made a lot of accusations to the news media about his ex-wife and CPS but has he ever said he contacted CPS during those 1.5 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member