Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #9 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting that they are now asking for the public's help in assumably trying to fit together a possible alternate timeline of Mariah and her family's whereabouts and status prior to the night of the 26th...

Tortoise I know you and I were thinking along the same lines about what might've happened over Thanksgiving break til Mariah was reported missing.

Right now I'm just going to think out loud again because this case has left me with little else to think about anyway.

I'm still thinking there might've been something that happened traumatically to Mariah prior to EK and the boys leaving town for Thanksgiving break (IF KW and MW did not go with them). I think there was either a very traumatic injury, and/or various visible injuries on little Mariah and that's why Mom stayed home with her, to watch over her and/or to hide her injuries. Nobody we know of has come forward to say they saw them or were with them over the break. Not sure what day or time EK and the boys left, but perhaps it was after school and they didn't even see Mariah with her injuries prior to their departure. Perhaps only EK and KM somehow played it off where they had to leave without the boys thinking much about not seeing Mariah for themselves.

Over the break, if indeed this was the case, I wonder if KW talked to or saw ANYONE. If she was hiding an injured child she may not have answered phone calls or the door if anybody stopped by. It's suspicious that she wouldn't have spent at least part of the holiday with her own local family if nothing were amiss IMO.

When EK and the boys reportedly arrived home Sunday around midnight, the boys might've gone straight to bed, and either assumed or were told that Mariah was already sleeping. I sure hope the boys were kept in the dark as much as possible about anything that might've gone down. :(

I assume it wasn't long before EK went back for the dressers, perhaps they passed the house on their way home and he decided he'd drop the boys off, check in on Mariah's status and KM first then go back for them (I know some laughed at my theory that they "simply needed dressers" but I've heard since then (possibly a rumor) that Kristy in fact had been looking to get a couple dressers. Although I lean toward Mariah not being severely injured yet if dressers were still a priority that night.

Loaded the dressers up, brought them home, stuck them in the shed. If they'd injured her badly prior to the trip maybe they knew was just a matter of time til she succumbed (horrible thought, I'm sorry). It's also possible that something happened that was the straw that broke the camel's back and he completely lost it with her, whether it be a potty training accident, or just being in his way and not in bed like she should've been. Maybe that's when the final trauma occurred. (But even if Mariah wasn't seriously injured prior to their Thanksgiving trip, I still think if Mom and Mariah stayed home there's a good chance that it was to hide obvious injuries from prior abuse (perhaps a black eye and swollen lips, a broken bone or unexplainable pronounced or widespread bruising. I have heard abusers often "strike" in places others aren't as likely to notice, such as their torso, back, legs, buttocks...wherever is normally covered in clothing. But knowing EK and MW I don't think they took much "care" or forethought into their abuse of that beautiful little girl.

Either way, I bet there was a lot of arguing and hysteria and fighting in the course of deciding what actions to take, which resulted in ultimately dumping Mariah's body and getting rid of evidence. There's just no telling what the boys might've heard, but I'm certain they heard enough at least after the fact to get the jist of what was happening. I agree that the neighbor who saw someone carrying something out of the house at 3 am was most likely EW with Mariah, whether she was in a suitcase or blanket or whatever he had her in. Being the homes are so close together I would think whatever he was carrying was not likely to be simply a limp child...but he's so dumb you never know. Also, I would've thought it would've been reported by now if the neighbor had said that it looked like he was carrying one of the younger kids who was asleep. I think it was reported he was carrying something smallish, but no reference to a toddler or sleeping child was made that we know of.

All this is JMO. I'm not convinced it went down like this, after all, we don't know for sure where KW and MW were during the holiday break. But if home, I would suspect something similar to this may have happened.

I doubt either KW or EK got a wink of sleep that night. They had to get their stories straight...

In the hand-written response AW gave to the court, I can't find any mention that he contacted CPS after June, 2016. If he contacted CPS and they failed to respond, wouldn't he mention it to the court?

The one thing we know for certain, is that CPS, the courts, and the mother have completely failed these children.

The better question might be why weren't the first allegations better investigated by CPS so Mariah wasn't thrown away like a piece of garbage by mom's violent boyfriend.She should be looking forward to what Santa was bringing her right now but was left in an abusive household instead.

Very interesting that they are now asking for the public's help in assumably trying to fit together a possible alternate timeline of Mariah and her family's whereabouts and status prior to the night of the 26th...

snipped for space

could you provide a link for LE asking publics help regarding new timeline? I have searched and searched and could not find it - very interesting in reading that information.

What kind of blatant and malignant stupidity would lead DCF to think this was a good idea? Brilliant...absolutely brilliant!! Put the boys with someone who is hostile to their father to further poison their mind and manipulate them to defend their egg donor.

Gah! The stupid...it's just so strong.
I could not have put it better. Their blatant malignant stupidity already helped murder little Mariah, they must want to out do themselves.
SMH.

snipped for space

could you provide a link for LE asking publics help regarding new timeline? I have searched and searched and could not find it - very interesting in reading that information.

I read it on here, hang on, I'll go look, hopefully not just a rumor...

treating him as a victim does not mean blindly accepting every word he says as absolute fact either.

SBM for focus

Correct. You can believe what he says about the custody issue or not. The weight of his statements will be decided by the reader.

The following is not directed at any specific poster but bouncing off this post to be very CLEAR. Discuss what AW has stated to the press. Discuss the known facts of the murder of Mariah.

I have removed some posts that were bickering in nature about what AW did or did not do to address the custody issue and whether he contacted CPS or not. That debate is over. You either believe him or you don't. Move on. This thread is NOT about AW. This thread is about MARIAH.

agreed busylady danthrplgst and tortoise...i could be wrong but foster placement in that particular neck of the woods might be extremely scarce. they may be hard pressed to find a suitable relative much less another family altogether. and without moving them to another school district or church. which seem to be the only steadiness in their life right now.
Yeah steady Hell.

Can someone please cite the specific law/s that state it is prohibited for a parent to share information provided to them from CPS. I'm not finding federal or NC state law that prohibits it. I've seen posts accusing AW of just that but it needs to be shown as fact when referred to as such. I see that NC CPS agencies are required by state law to prepare a written summary for public release "if a child dies, or is in serious or critical condition as th
result of sickness or injury caused by suspected abuse, neglect, or dependency and the
person responsible for the fatality or near fatality is charged in the incident (or would have
been charged were it not for that person's prior death
*" but found nothing about a parent's right to share that info. When I adopted a foster child I was given all of her reports and info and was told as her legal parent the info was mine and though I was free to share do so with discretion and in the best interest of the child. Sorry, I am a stickler for fact unless stated it's opinion. If someone has a link to the actual federal or state law clarifying, please share. It doesn't matter to me if it is legal or not, I just want to know which it is, TIA. That said, unless AW has been charged or is a named as a POI why are we not treating him as a victim, per rules?

* https://www2.ncdhhs.gov/info/olm/manuals/dss/csm-60/man/CS1428.PDF

Okay, you made my old brain whirr so I had to find the info here is the general statutes for the state of NC regarding what is considered information to be sealed for confidentiality and who or how it can be obtained or distributed.

[FONT=&quot]§ 7B-2901. Confidentiality of records.[/FONT][FONT=&quot](a) The clerk shall maintain a complete record of all juvenile cases filed in the clerk's office alleging abuse, neglect, or dependency. The records shall be withheld from public inspection and, except as provided in this subsection, may be examined only by order of the court. The record shall include the summons, petition, custody order, court order, written motions, the electronic or mechanical recording of the hearing, and other papers filed in the proceeding. The recording of the hearing shall be reduced to a written transcript only when notice of appeal has been timely given. After the time for appeal has expired with no appeal having been filed, the recording of the hearing may be erased or destroyed upon the written order of the court.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The following persons may examine the juvenile's record maintained pursuant to this subsection and obtain copies of written parts of the record without an order of the court:[/FONT][FONT=&quot](1) The person named in the petition as the juvenile;[/FONT][FONT=&quot](2) The guardian ad litem;[/FONT][FONT=&quot](3) The county department of social services; and[/FONT][FONT=&quot](4) The juvenile's parent, guardian, or custodian, or the attorney for the juvenile or the juvenile's parent, guardian, or custodian.[/FONT][FONT=&quot](b) The Director of the Department of Social Services shall maintain a record of the cases of juveniles under protective custody by the Department or under placement by the court, which shall include family background information; reports of social, medical, psychiatric, or psychological information concerning a juvenile or the juvenile's family; interviews with the juvenile's family; or other information which the court finds should be protected from public inspection in the best interests of the juvenile. The records maintained pursuant to this subsection may be examined only in the following circumstances:[/FONT][FONT=&quot](1) The juvenile's guardian ad litem or the juvenile, including a juvenile who has reached age 18 or been emancipated, may examine the records.[/FONT][FONT=&quot](2) A district or superior court judge of this State presiding over a civil matter in which the department is not a party may order the department to release confidential information, after providing the department with reasonable notice and an opportunity to be heard and then determining that the information is relevant and necessary to the trial of the matter before the court and unavailable from any other source. This subsection shall not be construed to relieve any court of its duty to conduct hearings and make findings required under relevant federal law before ordering the release of any private medical or mental health information or records related to substance abuse or HIV status or treatment. The department may surrender the requested records to the court, for in camera review, if surrender is necessary to make the required determinations.[/FONT][FONT=&quot](3) A district or superior court judge of this State presiding over a criminal or delinquency matter shall conduct an in camera review before releasing to the defendant or juvenile any confidential records maintained by the department of social services, except those records the defendant or juvenile is entitled to pursuant to subdivision (1) of this subsection.[/FONT][FONT=&quot](4) The department may disclose confidential information to a parent, guardian, custodian, or caretaker in accordance with G.S. 7B-700.[/FONT][FONT=&quot](c) In the case of a child victim, the court may order the sharing of information among such public agencies as the court deems necessary to reduce the trauma to the victim.[/FONT][FONT=&quot](d) The court's entire record of a proceeding involving consent for an abortion on an unemancipated minor under Article 1A, Part 2 of Chapter 90 of the General Statutes is not a matter of public record, shall be maintained separately from any juvenile record, shall be withheld from public inspection, and may be examined only by order of the court, by the unemancipated minor, or by the unemancipated minor's attorney or guardian ad litem. [/FONT][FONT=&quot] (1979, c. 815, s. 1; 1987, c. 297; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 7, s. 1; 1995, c. 462, s. 4; c. 509, s. 5; 1997-459, s. 2; 1998-202, s. 6; 2001-208, s. 10; 2001-487, s. 101; 2009-311, s. 18.)[/FONT]

https://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_7B/GS_7B-2901.html

The one thing we know for certain, is that CPS, the courts, and the mother have completely failed these children.

We don't know that for certain. Those are all angry accusations by a grieving father who didn't see his children for the last 1.5 years of Mariah's 3 years on earth.

The better question might be why weren't the first allegations better investigated by CPS so Mariah wasn't thrown away like a piece of garbage by mom's violent boyfriend.She should be looking forward to what Santa was bringing her right now but was left in an abusive household instead.

According to AW, CPS did do an investigation and returned the children to their mother in June, 2016. I'm not aware of any CPS investigation since that time other than the one that started with Mariah's disappearance.

Okay, you made my old brain whirr so I had to find the info here is the general statutes for the state of NC regarding what is considered information to be sealed for confidentiality and who or how it can be obtained or distributed.

https://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_7B/GS_7B-2901.html
Thanks, I did read that earlier. And honesty I'm not blindly believing anything lol. Even though I play devils advocate at times it doesn't mean I'm leaning towards one side or the other. I've seen several references that infer (maybe I'm wrong in my perception of them) CPS records are never released to the public which they clearly can be and AW has been legally negligent by sharing records given to him concerning his child. Law is black and white with very little gray. Years of checking and rechecking every little word, fact, and legal document written for the court makes me want the facts but has also taught me never to assume. I know that may not be needed as much here but it's one of those things that becomes part of who you are.

We don't know that for certain. Those are all angry accusations by a grieving father who didn't see his children for the last 1.5 years of Mariah's 3 years on earth.
I don't see how anyone could say her mother didn't let her down.She brought a violent man into her children's lives.A mother's job is to protect her child and put them first.I'm not saying KW murdered the child because I don't think she did but she bears a huge portion of the blame and Mariah paid the ultimate price.

According to AW, CPS did do an investigation and returned the children to their mother in June, 2016. I'm not aware of any CPS investigation since that time other than the one that started with Mariah's disappearance.

IMHO CPS failed and shouldn't have returned the children back to the household where the abuser was still presently living. I wonder if HE had to jump through any more hoops? Seems like reunification with the mother is usually the goal...and she probably told them everything she wanted to hear. If I was working for CPS, I'd want to hear that THE THREAT was no longer there before I placed them back in her custody. She may have even said she was going to leave him and blah blah blah...and I wonder if CPS did any post placement visits to see if the environment was safe. I don't believe it ever was.

J.M.O.

Based on the documents the bio dad released it doesn't appear the children were removed on the belt incident so either CPS determined the child did fall or they couldn't prove the injuries were a result of EK using a belt on the child. The two youngest children were removed over the SA situation - and requirements of meds and other conditions had to be met before they could return - apparently those conditions were met to CPS satisfaction. Do I think the kids were in a good situation no but I blame ALL the adults in the childrens lives for that.

Thanks, I did read that earlier. And honesty I'm not blindly believing anything lol. Even though I play devils advocate at times it doesn't mean I'm leaning towards one side or the other. I've seen several references that infer (maybe I'm wrong in my perception of them) CPS records are never released to the public which they clearly can be and AW has been legally negligent by sharing records given to him concerning his child. Law is black and white with very little gray. Years of checking and rechecking every little word, fact, and legal document written for the court makes me want the facts but has also taught me never to assume. I know that may not be needed as much here but it's one of those things that becomes part of who you are.

You and and I agree on a lot. Thanks

I'm confused why some don't believe abuse was going on in this house.The child is dead and while the cause of death hasn't been released LE has implied homicide.I don't see an accident leading a person to dump the body and fake a kidnapping.So someone just snaps for the first time ever and kills the kid?Sorry but I don't buy it.I strongly suspect a history of abuse that went too far this time.

I'm not sure about NC law but in my state, CPS records, GAL reports, medical records that are part of court custody proceedings can't become public without the Judge's permission. I had two signed affidavits from physicians regarding suspected child abuse of my granddaughter and the Judge directed me to file them with the juvenile court clerk rather than with the Clerk of the Court and he said he didn't want them to become public.

Based on the documents the bio dad released it doesn't appear the children were removed on the belt incident so either CPS determined the child did fall or they couldn't prove the injuries were a result of EK using a belt on the child. The two youngest children were removed over the SA situation - and requirements of meds and other conditions had to be met before they could return - apparently those conditions were met to CPS satisfaction. Do I think the kids were in a good situation no but I blame ALL the adults in the childrens lives for that.

Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member