Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #9 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one thing we know for certain, is that CPS, the courts, and the mother have completely failed these children.

We do not know for certain what the allegations were in the past for them to release the kids back to the mother. Unless we are a fly on the wall we have absolutely no clue what transpired. When cases are being dealt with , social services and the courts can not predict what would happen in the future and they only deal with the present day situation. Both sides of the family have failed these kids. JMO

CPS and the court are acting in the best interest of the children, not the parents. I doubt the court is happy the father provided confidential documents about his children to the news media.
Riiiiiight. They already put them back into a home where one of these children was murdered. Then placed the boys with Grandmother who has volitile relations towards Alex, and Drunk Grandpa, mother violated no contact order . WTH? They needed to be exposed. One dead child is more than enough, are they trying for two more.
Seriously.
DCFS Needs to be exposed for their blatant ineptitude, before any more children get killed, or abused, neglected....

I'm confused why some don't believe abuse was going on in this house.The child is dead and while the cause of death hasn't been released LE has implied homicide.I don't see an accident leading a person to dump the body and fake a kidnapping.So someone just snaps for the first time ever and kills the kid?Sorry but I don't buy it.I strongly suspect a history of abuse that went too far this time.

Homicide, from a legal standpoint, doesn't always mean murder. Homicide just means that a person's death was brought about by another person. Fun fact: When a prisoner is executed by the state the manner of death on their death certificate is homicide because their death was brought about by another person.

As for the reasons of hiding the body, it wouldn't be the first time a child accidentally and the parent hid the body because they figured they would get in trouble. Truthfully, look at the number of times a child has died of a true accident and a parent or another adult in the home was sent away to prison. I'm not excusing the practice but I understand why someone might do it. You take your life in your hands when you're dealing with prosecutors. There is a reason for the statement "a prosecutor can indict a ham sandwich."

I guess I'm hardheaded because I'll NEVER believe that their household was anything short of a HOUSE OF HORROR.

Homicide, from a legal standpoint, doesn't always mean murder. Homicide just means that a person's death was brought about by another person. Fun fact: When a prisoner is executed by the state the manner of death on their death certificate is homicide because their death was brought about by another person.

As for the reasons of hiding the body, it wouldn't be the first time a child accidentally and the parent hid the body because they figured they would get in trouble. Truthfully, look at the number of times a child has died of a true accident and a parent or another adult in the home was sent away to prison. I'm not excusing the practice but I understand why someone might do it. You take your life in your hands when you're dealing with prosecutors. There is a reason for the statement "a prosecutor can indict a ham sandwich."
Yes I'm sure she slipped over a toy and died so they decided to fake a kidnapping and dump the body.I also believe in the easter bunny.

Riiiiiight. They already put them back into a home where one of these children was murdered. Then placed the boys with Grandmother who has volitile relations towards Alex, and Drunk Grandpa, mother violated no contact order . WTH? They needed to be exposed. One dead child is more than enough, are they trying for two more.
Seriously.
DCFS Needs to be exposed for their blatant ineptitude, before any more children get killed, or abused, neglected....

KW has violated a no contact order? Link, please. Thanks.

Based on the documents the bio dad released it doesn't appear the children were removed on the belt incident so either CPS determined the child did fall or they couldn't prove the injuries were a result of EK using a belt on the child. The two youngest children were removed over the SA situation - and requirements of meds and other conditions had to be met before they could return - apparently those conditions were met to CPS satisfaction. Do I think the kids were in a good situation no but I blame ALL the adults in the childrens lives for that.

Or, another possibility related to the belt incident, perhaps the whipping did occur and CPS determined the injuries weren't severe enough to rise to the level of abuse. I can't speak for rural NC (maybe someone from the area can shed some light here) but I lived in rural Texas for a time (2001-2006) and it was not uncommon for a kid to get punished with the belt, the parents didn't consider that abuse since it wasn't an all out beating but a few whacks with it on the bottom. I can see that situation maybe happening here and since the social workers were from the community they were in-tune with what the social norms were for the area so they dismissed it.

I agree. It's good to keep an open mind. And I didn't know the fun fact - that is interesting.

I hope this is allowed since AW said it on Nancy Grace, it's been bugging me that he said he suspected SA in that interview. I know he said a TON of things and we can't prove 99% of them. But, what bugs me, is if he suspected this, how long did he suspect this? We are not aware of CPS in their lives since 2016, well over a year ago. If he really did assume/believe this to be happening and didn't say anything that is really beyond comprehension.

For those of you who are familiar with CPS in North Carolina, how do you feel they would hear that type of statement from a parent who is trying to get custody?

In the end, I know we all want these children safe, regardless of if that means family, friends, or adoption. I really hope that AW was speaking from emotion, and the way Nancy Grace is trained as a prosecutor to "lead a witness" slyly.

I def don't want to start on the whether or not SA happened or not, that will be investigated and hopefully the results will be kept within the family. I just want to know how this type of statement MAY affect AW's attempt at gaining custody?

MOO

Thanks everyone!!

If my ex did what KW and her family did despite my warnings to the court, I would have done the same thing, in the best interests of the children.

I might not have released confidential documents but I'd make sure that folks knew that they took them from me and gave them back to her. She kept her from him alright. For good. That many days in the water, they surely didn't allow him to see her, even to say goodbye. Her final post on FB is just disturbing on so many levels now that we know what we know. I don't blame him for having no faith in the "system".

Many seem more upset with the dad than the mom which I don't understand.The guy is not john boy Walton and for sure has his faults but it seems like he tried to do the right things.It's very hard to deal with custody issues when he couldn't afford a lawyer.

it appears to me that AW filed a motion for emergency custody and it was denied. that was based on his concerns of abuse. I'm not sure what his handwritten responses were for. I don't see that he filed a motion for contempt of court against KW for not letting him see the kids. as far as I know, since the custody arrangement was already set by the divorce agreement, without winning the emergency custody motion he would have no other recourse to change the parenting agreement other than filing contempt repeatedly. contempt is difficult to prove and with KW making up stories and causing there to be volatility in the relationship that makes AW look bad, it may not have been in AW's best interest to file contempt. He could have called LE every time KW refused visitation so there was a record, but if the cops don't bother doing a welfare check, that would have gotten him nowhere. From AW's hand written statements, it seems the CPS social worker may have even been friends with KW/EK. AW was in a tough situation, without a lawyer he really had no options, except to video KW every time he tried to get his visitation, but I don't know what the consent laws are in NC for audio-videotaping.

Right. Didn’t I see an article somewhere in which a photo of the CPS workers child was playing with KW and AW’s children was being discussed?

I hope this is allowed since AW said it on Nancy Grace, it's been bugging me that he said he suspected SA in that interview. I know he said a TON of things and we can't prove 99% of them. But, what bugs me, is if he suspected this, how long did he suspect this? We are not aware of CPS in their lives since 2016, well over a year ago. If he really did assume/believe this to be happening and didn't say anything that is really beyond comprehension.

For those of you who are familiar with CPS in North Carolina, how do you feel they would hear that type of statement from a parent who is trying to get custody?

In the end, I know we all want these children safe, regardless of if that means family, friends, or adoption. I really hope that AW was speaking from emotion, and the way Nancy Grace is trained as a prosecutor to "lead a witness" slyly.

I def don't want to start on the whether or not SA happened or not, that will be investigated and hopefully the results will be kept within the family. I just want to know how this type of statement MAY affect AW's attempt at gaining custody?

MOO

Thanks everyone!!

Well, I'm glad someone else heard AW's comments the same way I did and wonder if he did report his suspicions of sa to CPS in those 16 months. His gf said they tried to get a Judge to listen but couldn't afford an attorney. If he did file reports and CPS failed to investigate, absolutely CPS is to blame.

treating him as a victim does not mean blindly accepting every word he says as absolute fact either.

ETA

I don’t think there is a law per se but from someone who has been a foster parent, adoptive parent and Guardian ad Litem volunteer, I can say that at every turn the parties are informed that no photographic reproduction of the likeness of a child in the custody of the Department of Social services shall be distributed without the express written consent of the department and absolutely no information about the custody process while the department has custody shall be publicly disseminated without the express written consent of the department. All information regarding the minor child whose custody is with the Department of Social services shall at all times remain confidential unless the department has issued written consent to the contrary.

Those ”rules” and conditions were practically burned into our brains. I had to seek written consent for newspaper articles regarding the child’s accomplishments or awards and some social workers went so far as to insist we obtained consent to allow the child to be included in school yearbooks.

Obviously, once an adoption is completed the department no long has custody and the choice becomes the parents.

I can can see all of that being the law, however, this man was in shock, traumatized and grieving.

I have no doubt AW was terrorized by KW and EK, just look at what they’ve done to his children!

I might not have released confidential documents but I'd make sure that folks knew that they took them from me and gave them back to her. She kept her from him alright. For good. That many days in the water, they surely didn't allow him to see her, even to say goodbye. Her final post on FB is just disturbing on so many levels now that we know what we know. I don't blame him for having no faith in the "system".

It was reported last Sunday or Monday that he was going to view her body that Tuesday, after the autopsy was complete.

Depending on the temp of the water and the depth that her body was at she may have experienced minimal decomposition in the week elapsed between her presumed death and her being found. A common misconception people have is that a water burial will speed up decomposition, it won't, a body can remain in a pretty good state for awhile if the water temp is cold enough.

I can have compassion for the bio dad that he lost a child, but still feel like releasing records he wasn't thinking about the best interest of the children, not take everything he states as fact, wonder why he just released the portion of the documents he did and not Kristys allegations as well, and not feel like the best place for the children at this time are in his care.

I'm not sure about NC law but in my state, CPS records, GAL reports, medical records that are part of court custody proceedings can't become public without the Judge's permission. I had two signed affidavits from physicians regarding suspected child abuse of my granddaughter and the Judge directed me to file them with the juvenile court clerk rather than with the Clerk of the Court and he said he didn't want them to become public.
Your right. There are federal laws and state laws. They vary as do the filing of complaints. I hope your granddaughter is ok. I am so sorry.

Since Trisha has said we can sleuth KW, I haven’t been able to find her FB. Did she delete it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member