Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #9 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not defending the mother or her boy toy. I am not trying to crucify the father but I have very serious concerns about the release of the sexual assault info. I do not care if it was dad, mom, a social worker or the pope that released it, that act was irresponsible and cruel. The possible ramfications far out weigh any possible benefit gained and regardless of emotional distress or anger or any other emotion it was simply a poor choice. NG or AB or any other media should have had the scruples not to put the info in the public eye but parenting is about making the right choices to protect your child even in or maybe especially in times of emotional distress and grief. We know the mom made poor choices and it cost a child her life but before it is over I am relatively sure that she will pay a heavy price for it. Heavy enough to satisfy everyone probably not. I also think in the end there will be more than enough blame to go around that we don’t have to chose either/or neither will we have to choose 1 from column A and two from column B.

All it would have taken was to use a black magic marker and redact the most sensitive parts. Who will be to blame if this child ends up a suicide statistic because of the information being released. I could care less what the adults do to one another as they can take care of themselves but it is the surviving children I am concerned about. Stop and think how you would feel if someone put this kind of information, correct or not about your child out there for the entire world in perpetuity.

If you dont think you would be outraged you are not being honest with yourself. I would move heaven and earth to protect my children and I would do everything in my power to keep something like that from following them the rest of their lives. When he learns that the info is there when he googles his family’s names he will be forever changed and will always look at other people differently wondering who knows, are they treating me different because of it. His friends will see it and their parents also, there will be nowhere to hide from it. So not only will he have the survivors guilt over his sister’s death and what ever damage from what he saw, experienced or heard in his lifetime now this too. This poor child can just not catch a break.

JMHO

I understand what you're saying, but why should a child victim of SA be ashamed to talk about it and make it known to everyone who the abusers are in their life? It's a subject every child should feel okay to discuss and report with adults because the child did nothing wrong. Child abuse should never be hushed, and all the perpetrators of it need to be outed IMO. It's when society tries to hide it behind closed doors that is the problem.

I am not defending the mother or her boy toy. I am not trying to crucify the father but I have very serious concerns about the release of the sexual assault info. I do not care if it was dad, mom, a social worker or the pope that released it, that act was irresponsible and cruel. The possible ramfications far out weigh any possible benefit gained and regardless of emotional distress or anger or any other emotion it was simply a poor choice. NG or AB or any other media should have had the scruples not to put the info in the public eye but parenting is about making the right choices to protect your child even in or maybe especially in times of emotional distress and grief. We know the mom made poor choices and it cost a child her life but before it is over I am relatively sure that she will pay a heavy price for it. Heavy enough to satisfy everyone probably not. I also think in the end there will be more than enough blame to go around that we don’t have to chose either/or neither will we have to choose 1 from column A and two from column B.

All it would have taken was to use a black magic marker and redact the most sensitive parts. Who will be to blame if this child ends up a suicide statistic because of the information being released. I could care less what the adults do to one another as they can take care of themselves but it is the surviving children I am concerned about. Stop and think how you would feel if someone put this kind of information, correct or not about your child out there for the entire world in perpetuity.

If you dont think you would be outraged you are not being honest with yourself. I would move heaven and earth to protect my children and I would do everything in my power to keep something like that from following them the rest of their lives. When he learns that the info is there when he googles his family’s names he will be forever changed and will always look at other people differently wondering who knows, are they treating me different because of it. His friends will see it and their parents also, there will be nowhere to hide from it. So not only will he have the survivors guilt over his sister’s death and what ever damage from what he saw, experienced or heard in his lifetime now this too. This poor child can just not catch a break.

JMHO

I understand that it is awful and someone will have to talk to the children at some point. Even if Dad hadn't put that out there, it's a small, rural, area, it would have spread mouth-to-ear, and someone would have posted the "rumor" anyway, much like that old game Telephone. I agree he was in the wrong, but, if I looked it up, I'd probably see my Dad as being desperate to save me.

I am still confused about that incident. I never brought my kids into that work environment unless there were family fun days and they volunteered to face paint the littles.

A statement made by AW, in the 2016 CPS documents, discussed an incident that involved the CPS workers child.

I understand what you're saying, but why should a child victim of SA be ashamed to talk about it and make it known to everyone who the abusers are in their life? It's a subject every child should feel okay to discuss and report with adults because the child did nothing wrong. Child abuse should never be hushed, and all the perpetrators of it need to be outed IMO. It's when society tries to hide it behind closed doors that is the problem.

The bottom line is the story wasn’t his to tell. It was the boys story to tell when he was ready and no one had the right to take that away from him.

JMHO

Should it be shameful for the victim? No! But a young adolescent (10 years old!) may not want this information shared with the world. The victim may not want his or her immediate community knowing the most intimate details of his/her life.

Agree a million percent. And to take it one step further. Many of the people on here have stated they have been abused either as children or later in life in domestic violence type of situations. I know from my own experience with extreme domestic abuse, that I would be absolutely mortified if someone were to go against the gag order that was immediately placed on the case for my protection, and decided to tell not only my family and friends etc what happened to me, but the entire world! I am in Canada, probably 25 hour drive away, and as a result of these documents, I know the names of these children, their birth dates, and so on. I cannot imagine HOW they will be able to move on with life, in that area, with those names. If I was in that situation and someone had exposed the things that happened to me I would want to start over fresh, new city/state, new identity, new family and friends. My trust in the people around me would be gone, and again, I am an adult. So, I simply cannot imagine, as a mother and as a survivor how this can be "fixed" without extreme measures.

How do these boys go back to school in the next few weeks with teachers and classmates having read and heard the rumors? It spikes my own PTSD and anxiety just thinking about being in their shoes.

I realize there are several people on here who are giving AW a pass because of his extreme grief, but IMO that is a reason to protect the babies you have left even more.

As i've said in other posts, I really do hope AW is a good dad and that these boys will learn that with a ton of therapy and help in reunification. I do worry about the oldest child as at that age, a abusive nature may have already planted its seeds. The idea of seeing him on here as the "monster" in a few years, is a scary possibility if he doesn't get a loving stable home life that focuses on rehabilitation and takes it very very seriously.

MOO

BBM

This is bothering me a lot in this case too. This case is killing me. I'm very concerned for these two kids. It would be so horrible to see one of them pop up in a headline on WS, in 10-20 years, with folks hating him.

The bottom line is the story wasn’t his to tell. It was the boys story to tell when he was ready and no one had the right to take that away from him.

JMHO
I don't agree with that. As we have seen, why are they telling their stories now? Why not when it happened?

JMHO

I don't think he thought that far out. He was thinking of the here and now and getting at least two of them back alive.

I sympathize with the dad for his unimaginable loss. In an interview he and his fiance said they were afraid something like this might happen.

The issue I have is that Mariah was failed by many adults in her life, yet the father seems to point fingers at the system having failed her. In my opinion (and I realize it's not a popular one) he failed her as well.

Just one example: Would a $4,000 - $7,000 retainer fee stand between you and your 3 children whom are being sexually and physically abused?

I would NEVER just throw my hands up in the air, admit defeat and go back to my life with my fiance and their children.
Never.

It's terrible that this info about the surviving kids is out there. I don't blame it on dad's grief or anger. I think he wanted to make sure he didn't lose another child. It smacked of desperation to keep his kids alive not irrationality.

Nevertheless, this is highly sensitive info and it is quite sad that the kids have their personal hells publicized forever.

Hopefully they are too young now realize what's happened.

I don't think the court is going to be happy with dad.

I sympathize with the dad for his unimaginable loss. In an interview he and his fiance said they were afraid something like this might happen.

The issue I have is that Mariah was failed by many adults in her life, yet the father seems to point fingers at the system having failed her. In my opinion (and I realize it's not a popular one) he failed her as well.

Just one example: Would a $4,000 - $7,000 retainer fee stand between you and your 3 children whom are being sexually and physically abused?

I would NEVER just throw my hands up in the air, admit defeat and go back to my life with my fiance and their children.
Never.

It stands between people and their kids every day. Because not everyone has the resources or the intellectual capacity to try to figure out and successfully navigate the complex court system on their own, especially when they've hit a few judicial road blocks. Many, many people simply give up.

This man tried hard to get his kids. He is not the one to blame here. Let's leave him alone.

I'm sure the judge is not pleased with AW for releasing the CPS docs, but if I were AW I'd have a hard time not criticizing the judge (if it's the same one) for placing the kids back in KW's care. that's hard to swallow.

Yep. We had to tell the parents that before we handed them the report and they had to sign an parent agreement. This is why I was so surprised the docs were breached. I understand the emotions were high but a bigger hole has been dug. You work with them and not against them. Guarantee it that the judge talked about that in the first hearing. JMO

Never.

I can't speak for AW but in my granddaughter's case, the retainer fee was irrelevant. If there is an inappropriate relationship between the CPS worker and a parent, no amount of money is going to surmount that fact and there is very little an attorney can do to defeat recommendations of CPS or a GAL. I would rate the success right up there with impossible.

It's getting harder and harder to read posts in this thread. I understand due to the nature of this case it is very emotional and hard to grasp.

I am probably am not going to keep up with this thread very often but let us not forget we are not in anyone else's shoes. We all did the best we could here on WS and other ways such as social media, maybe there were some members who even volunteered and searched.

Together as a society we have to find ways to help make the world a better place. I would love to wave a magic wand and make it happen, unfortunatly I know that isn't possible. One thing I think many can do is to reach out to your local school discrict and see if they hold assemblies or have classroom discussions on the difficult topic of child abuse.

My prayers have been with Mariah since the day she went missing and they still are. Her brothers have also been added as well. I hope those who loved her and are innocent but just don't know how to cope with this can get the help they deserve and can heal and find a way to make something positive happen. I hope those who are responsible are found guilty and punished to the maximum sentence of the law.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Should it be shameful for the victim? No! But a young adolescent (10 years old!) may not want this information shared with the world. The victim may not want his or her immediate community knowing the most intimate details of his/her life.
The victim would want help i would imagine. The damage was already done before all this came out in the media. I have nothing but empathy for the children that these so and so's molest young vulnerable children, and society should have zero tolerance for the mongrels that perpetrate their sickness on kids, and kids should feel okay with outing them and encouraged to do so.
And i thought the allegation of SA was it happened to Mariah not the other children?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82