Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #9 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an NBC12 article that really adds to the timeline confusion.

http://m.nbc12.com/story/36932357/a...s-search-for-missing-toddler-in-onslow-county

Also in same article, a quote from Kristy's mother, and more timeline confusion.

Wow. No wonder I was confused early on. I do remember reading about 11 and then 12 and was struggling to find the exact time someone last saw her. I didnt realize there were even other times besides those that were reported on.

Its no wonder LE was asking for other witnesses to come forward if they saw the child in the days prior to that. They were trying to establish the truth and could not get the truth out of the adults IMO.

I would take it as the child reporting what they heard from the other room. I am not personally seeing any signs of someone telling them alternative explanations to confuse the story at all. Everything seems clear as long as I take it that it's someone in another room listening to what's going on and interpreting the sounds they hear.

So if the child says Mariah woke up crying, then I would interpret that as they heard Mariah crying. I would interpret the uncertainty in knowing for sure whether it was EK or KW as the child being unable to actually see, but being able to hear raised, angry voices, I don't know if they could hear a loud slap through the walls, or maybe Mariah going flying across the room? But if not, I think it would be interpretable by hearing the raised voices and then an increase in the level of crying, then more shouting, and you'd figure that the increase in crying was from Mariah being hit/hurt by an adult.

There was an interesting comment above the one I've quoted, about the actions of EK and KW. If KW was innocent, why not scream blue murder and go and get a neighbor to call 911? Why not scream at EK to leave the home and call 911 as soon as he's out the door and bolt it behind him? But instead we hear that KW told EK to hide the body, and EK does as he's told? This sounds to me as if they both feel complicit in what happened and at that moment in time all they want to do is 'cover up' what really happened for their own protection.

There seemed to be some uncertainty in that speakerphone call over whether or no Mariah was actually dead. That could just be from someone in another room hearing someone say, "is she dead?" And then maybe an answering voice saying, "no, I don't think so..." And then the next thing is hearing "you've got to hide the body!"

So there's more going on, we're getting a synopsis almost. But it does sound to me like a first report from a listening child, and they would need re-questioning to get a few more details.

We don't know when the bloody nose occurred. There's no report of it happening during an attack on Mariah, so it could have happened earlier in the day. The boys could have just hunkered down in their room with blankets over their head trying desperately to block out these sounds, and then in the morning pretending they slept through the whole thing and playing naive so as to not get themselves into trouble. I keep coming back to how would those boys be feeling after hearing their own mother tell EK to hide their sister's body? Wouldn't they be fearing that if they put one toe out of line that might be their fate, too? Especially bearing in mind the allegation about the belt and the bloody nose...they've likely suffered being hit, too. They don't know how they're going to survive this situation.

I think that maybe going to school that day, and then not being allowed back in the home (as it had become part of a crime scene) that night, kept them from being told an alternative story by KW. If they play "we were asleep, no we didn't hear anything!" in the morning, and then by the evening the grandmother is around and KW doesn't get privacy to take the boys aside and feed them an alternative story, then all they know is that the police are around, their sister has been reported 'missing' (but at least one of them heard 'hide the body' and finally they've been questioned, possibly by a police officer with the grandmother present and grandpa listening outside the door, and I think they've just told exactly what they heard. I think the boy(s) were showing extreme bravery at this point to relate what they heard no matter that it implicated KW, their own mother who, from what they've heard, was complicit in the death of their baby sister and the hiding of their sister's body. I would think KW would have been in police questioning at the police station at the time for them to open up this way.

That bothers me too. I just can't see my hubby disposing of a body (let alone a child's body) just because I told him to.

It just doesn't sound right unless EK is mentally challenged to the point he just mindlessly obeys everything someone tell him to do.

No I think EK had a vested interest in hiding the body also. And I think KW took the attitude of "what is done is done" so now let's figure a way out of it.

Law enforcement seems to know she was removed from the scene of her death, so they must have grounds to believe she was dead.

I agree. I have a feeling that evidence that they sent off for testing was something significant like blood stains or something.

We probably will not find out what that evidence was but I suspect it was the key that informed LE that something bad happened to her at the home.

Can dogs alert if there was presence of a deceased body? Does anyone know if dogs were brought into the trailer? I know vehicles were removed.

I'm thinking that "Maple Hill" is a retrofitting, and that term didn't actually come from the person (presume child) who overheard the incident. I think they maybe heard a rough description of the area, perhaps KW asks EK where he put the body and he replies "Threw it over a bridge into a creek...down near *some rough description*" ...and someone's then retrofit "Maple Hill" into the description, but the police were just looking for days in various places where a body could be thrown into water. LE was still trying to do a systematic search working out from the mobile home, but it was noticeable that they seemed to be focusing on these kind of areas, so the description of the spot couldn't, in my mind, have been clear to LE in the way that it was to the family who might have been able to say, "ohh I wonder if it's that spot down Maple Hill?"
I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean HC didn't actually tell LE she had been told the body would be found in Maple Hill, and she's just added that in after they found her? Or did you mean Vance guessed it might be Maple Hill from the description the child gave? I'm not sure the child would have been able to describe the area if he didn't go along.

Can dogs alert if there was presence of a deceased body? Does anyone know if dogs were brought into the trailer? I know vehicles were removed.
yes and yes.

I agree. I have a feeling that evidence that they sent off for testing was something significant like blood stains or something.

We probably will not find out what that evidence was but I suspect it was the key that informed LE that something bad happened to her at the home.
The report I linked a day or so ago indicated the items sent off to Quantico were found not too long before EK was arrested.

I'm really racking my brain to think what that could be because they hadn't extended the search to Maple Hill (I don't think) at that time, and it seems whatever was in the trailer would have been found closer to the start of the week. I'm wondering if they went back again and found something underneath the trailer. Those laser scanners appeared on 29th/30th which was the Weds and Thurs. but that might be irrelevant.

I don't know if they were cadaver dogs, but there were dogs.

Hey Everyone,

If you are using Alex's (the bio dad) notes to base your posts on remember you must let people know you are using notes that are based on Alex's statements and then a link to those statements.

These accusations are not fact. We need to make sure a strong accusation made by Alex is not assumed as fact. You can use it while posting your theories as long as you post a link and remind everyone you are getting your info from Alex's notes.

Remember, you must always post a link when you make a statement of fact*. There are many good posts in this thread that I do not want to remove because they have great critical thinking but absolutely zero links provided.

People reading this thread would assume what you are posting without links is fact. That's what we need to avoid.

Thank you,
Tricia

*unless the fact is a widely known fact then you don't need to keep posting the link over and over. It's a grey area so you will have to use your judgment.

The fact that the son said when Mariah was crying, KW or EK hit her, and KW told EK to get rid of her.

This really stood out to me today. I think it lends more credence towards KW being abusive to Mariah as well. Otherwise he might've said, "But I don't think so, because my mom never hits Mariah/us."

Also that KW told EK to get rid of her. That almost sounds like someone who had really lost it with their child, knew it, and was still angry about it, kind of like, "get her out of here, she's caused me enough trouble."

JMO of course.

Please feel free to correct me but throughout this case investigation I have wondered if Mariah was actually deceased when they disposed of her . Gut wrenching thought , but given the many tales told thus far , could she have been unconscious or even in a coma due to her injury / injuries ?
And my theory regarding where she was dumped is that the High Hill house was EKs first choice , would not be surprised at all to know he had been in that house before , and that's how he knew if the dressers. So he not only steals the dressers , he comes up with plan B and drops her in the water .
They are both responsible , EK and KW, no doubt in my mind at all
JMHO

Questioning the timeline again. Could Mariah have died earlier and placed under the trailer until EK disposed of her to avoid being found by her brothers? MOO

The report I linked a day or so ago indicated the items sent off to Quantico were found not too long before EK was arrested.

I'm really racking my brain to think what that could be because they hadn't extended the search to Maple Hill (I don't think) at that time, and it seems whatever was in the trailer would have been found closer to the start of the week. I'm wondering if they went back again and found something underneath the trailer. Those laser scanners appeared on 29th/30th which was the Weds and Thurs. but that might be irrelevant.

If I recall the van was impounded immediately, testing of evidence could of come back from the van that indicated Mariah was deceased when she was placed in the van? I am searching for link on when van was impounded but so many articles have been updated, changed etc finding it tough to find the one I am looking for but will keep trying.

Here's another case of mama's new man and dead baby:
A 24-year-old Oklahoma man faces upgraded charges to murder after a toddler died Monday from brutal injuries -- including being slammed into a wall so hard a hole was made -- after the baby would not go to sleep, police said.
Zachary Collins, 24, of Tulsa was originally arrested Saturday on child abuse and neglect after he allegedly threw his girlfriend's baby into furniture until the child was unconscious and quiet while he was babysitting Friday night.
He originally tried to blame another child for the baby's severe injuries, claiming a 3-year-old pushed the toddler off the bed.
Investigators said the injuries were too severe for officers to believe the story, and Collins later admitted he was behind the brutal assault. He also told police he drank a six-pack of beer and a half pint of tequila that night, the Tulsa World reported.
Collins, who is already involved in a separate domestic assault case, had his charges subsequently upgraded to murder.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/12/babysitter-allegedly-kills-toddler-by-throwing-him-against-walls-and-furniture-to-make-him-sleep.html

Let me guess - unemployed prize of a man watching some woman's extremely precious and vulnerable young child while she works?

Love his background. What a prize!

If I recall the van was impounded immediately, testing of evidence could of come back from the van that indicated Mariah was deceased when she was placed in the van? I am searching for link on when van was impounded but so many articles have been updated, changed etc finding it tough to find the one I am looking for but will keep trying.
I believe that info came from a NG podcast dated November 30th but I haven't listened so I don't know if it has the date the van was impounded in it.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-County-27-Nov-2017-3&p=13786582#post13786582

http://www.crimeonline.com/2017/11/30/crime-stories-missing-mariahs-dad-speaks-to-nancy-again/

Here's another case of mama's new man and dead baby:
A 24-year-old Oklahoma man faces upgraded charges to murder after a toddler died Monday from brutal injuries -- including being slammed into a wall so hard a hole was made -- after the baby would not go to sleep, police said.
Zachary Collins, 24, of Tulsa was originally arrested Saturday on child abuse and neglect after he allegedly threw his girlfriend's baby into furniture until the child was unconscious and quiet while he was babysitting Friday night.
He originally tried to blame another child for the baby's severe injuries, claiming a 3-year-old pushed the toddler off the bed.
Investigators said the injuries were too severe for officers to believe the story, and Collins later admitted he was behind the brutal assault. He also told police he drank a six-pack of beer and a half pint of tequila that night, the Tulsa World reported.
Collins, who is already involved in a separate domestic assault case, had his charges subsequently upgraded to murder.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/12/babysitter-allegedly-kills-toddler-by-throwing-him-against-walls-and-furniture-to-make-him-sleep.html

Let me guess - unemployed prize of a man watching some woman's extremely precious and vulnerable young child while she works?

Love his background. What a prize!
Is this the same as the live in bf who.killed the three year old for not putting on her pajamas?

Way too many murdered 3 yr old girls on the last month...

ETA it's not. This one was in Missouri.

http://www.newsweek.com/man-accused...hree-year-old-daughter-not-putting-her-745500

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean HC didn't actually tell LE she had been told the body would be found in Maple Hill, and she's just added that in after they found her? Or did you mean Vance guessed it might be Maple Hill from the description the child gave? I'm not sure the child would have been able to describe the area if he didn't go along.

Yes, I'm suggesting that both V and HC have guessed at Maple Hill from a description of the place, but that LE wasn't able to make the same interpretation, therefore it was a few days until they did move out to that spot, probably due to HC, AW and V saying that 'they' thought that place fit the description. I also recall that there were two spots being searched when Maple Hill was searched, and the other place was a lot closer to the home.

I don't think the child could describe it or know the exact name of the place, but I think he maybe heard something that made the adults who knew the family prick up their ears and believe it was Maple Hill that was being referred to. I can't effectively suggest what kind of thing might have been heard ... "threw the body into water from a bridge...down near my favorite fishing spot. No one will find the body there, we just need to pretend she was abducted and they won't find her, we'll be okay". And LE asks EK and KW where's EK's favorite fishing spot? And they are both in CYA mode and offer up a dozen different places where EK goes fishing, but they don't tell LE *that* spot.

The boy listening might not have been able to make the connection, LE couldn't make the connection, but I'm hypothesizing that *something* was said that was just enough to point some of the relatives to the right place, while the police were stuck with trying to figure it out from words like "bridge", "water" and maybe another word or phrase that just wasn't enough to send them to the specific spot but only to a type of location.

Is this the same as the live in bf who.killed the three year old for not putting on her pajamas?

ETA it's not. This one was in Missouri.

http://www.newsweek.com/man-accused...hree-year-old-daughter-not-putting-her-745500

Way too many kids period killed by mama's new man because mama is desperate to have a dude in her life, puts her needs ahead of her child's and doesn't care if the guy abuses or neglects her child.

3-yrs old seems to be a very risky age for children at the moment, it's cropping up in what feels like an inordinate number of cases. I have no idea if that is observer bias or whether statistics might bear it out. I think that late two- and three-year old children can be very challenging for parents, and also the first 3 months or so when baby cries incessantly for hours for days and weeks on end, and the parent (or bf) doesn't have enough experience/patience to handle it. I am also thinking that 3 is an unusual age for an abductor to go for, so these could be key ages for parental (including partners of bio parents) murder of a child.

I would be interested to see stats on this.

It disgusts me on a human level as I feel nothing but maternal feelings for children of those ages, but I do feel those are particularly challenging times, and wonder on an intellectual level whether that is being borne out by stats.

To me, three is an age of "why? why?" and challenging the parent's authority and testing parents for how far they can be pushed. Not all parents cope well with this stage, parenting isn't always easy, it can be frustrating for the best of parents. It should *never* end in abusing or murdering a child, I am not making excuses, I'm wondering if these are key points, though, where those who don't have the patience are more likely to break into violence toward the child.

You disclose the conflict of interest and let the court or the parent decide whether they want you to proceed.

I am sorry, but in most small towns/counties the odds of you recognizing someone are high. Every caseworker cannot stop what they are doing and call the office or contact the courts if they recognize a face. By your standards, if I were a case worker in the county I grew up in I would not be able to handle 90% of the cases I was given because I would either recognize the kid, the family name, or have gone to school with the parents or grand parents or have had contact with them socially at some point. I mean I cannot think of a place I have been in my home county where I have not gone into a business or a home and after speaking with someone for 10 minutes not realized I knew someone in a round about way or had someone say 'hey I know you, you are so and so's kid'. That's small town/county life. Come to think of it, I can go anywhere in a 3 county radius from my home county and have the same thing happen. Heck,I moved 6 hours away and still run into people who know my parents, etc...so by your standards I pretty much could not work anywhere in my state probably. Once you throw in my ex-husbands family and everyone knowing him where I now live, I really could not work anywhere in this state if I were a caseworker.

The fact that the son said when Mariah was crying, KW or EK hit her, and KW told EK to get rid of her.

This really stood out to me today. I think it lends more credence towards KW being abusive to Mariah as well. Otherwise he might've said, "But I don't think so, because my mom never hits Mariah/us."

Also that KW told EK to get rid of her. That almost sounds like someone who had really lost it with their child, knew it, and was still angry about it, kind of like, "get her out of here, she's caused me enough trouble."

JMO of course.

Is it a fact that the son said all those things? Can you provide a link where I can read that? Thanks in advanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie