Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Billionaire pharmaceutical magnate 'killed his wife, hung her body from railings next to their indoor pool then committed suicide in the basement of their $5.4million home before a realtor found their remains'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...spicious-death-billionaire.html#ixzz51Smz9cZK

This headline is misleading....the article states that it MAY have been murder/suicide which is really nothing new. Sorry I posted before reading further!

CP24 just announced that there is a statement coming from the Sherman family.

Maybe some sexual assault allegations against Mr Sherman were forthcoming? Perhaps the wife found something out? In this climate, you never know. What a strange case; anything is possible.

Sherman family not buying the suicide or murder suicide story. Are asking the media to refrain from publishing stories until police have completed their investigation. On CP24.

Statement from the Family of Barry and Honey Sherman

PRESS RELEASE PR Newswire
Dec. 16, 2017, 04:14 PM

TORONTO, Dec. 16, 2017 /CNW/ - Our parents shared an enthusiasm for life and commitment to their family and community totally inconsistent with the rumors regrettably circulated in the media as to the circumstances surrounding their deaths.

http://markets.businessinsider.com/...-Family-of-Barry-and-Honey-Sherman-1011611912

Agreed. Makes absolutely NO sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe there is more to this sad story. I don't believe it's a murder suicide. A 70 year old killing his wife, moving her body to the basement, then hang her and himself... It's unbelievable. He would have to be Superman to do it.

"We are shocked and think it's irresponsible that police sources have reportedly advised the media of a theory which neither their family, their friends nor their colleagues believe to be true."

Of course no one wants to believe it, we see this kind of statement time and time again here on WS when people commit suicide. Look at Chris Cornell. He committed suicide and a lot of people still think he was murdered and set up. Also the case with "regular" folks. No one wants to think that their family or friends could do such a thing. Add a possible murder to the mix and the denial will get even stronger.

Having said that, I hope LE does a thorough investigation to be 100% sure of whatever is is that *did* happen. If indeed it was a double murder, and then set up to look like a murder/suicide, I have a feeling that the perps won't be too hard to find.

It's a horrible situation no matter what transpired.

The Winter case is interesting, but I agree, not legally viable. For one thing, It was launched in 2007, over 30 years too late for any legal remedy. You can't sue in middle age for every bit of bad luck in your childhood that you think deprived you of the life you could have had, imagine how clogged the courts would be.

I also don't think that case would have preyed on Barry Sherman's mind unduly, he had his own family, friends, philanthropic activities, was probably on numerous boards of directors, a very full life. Something more basic happened for him to give it all up, allegedly kill his wife, hurt his family, abandon his proud legacy, basically declare none of it had any value to him.

I believe if you are claiming a beneficial interest/unjust enrichment you can sometimes get around standard tort claim limitations.

Police services spokesman Mark Pugash wouldn't comment when The Globe asked about the case, but he did tell the outlet that the homicide squad was part of the investigation.

"Homicide is working with 33 Division on this until we get the post mortem," Pugash said. "When we get the post mortem result, that should give us a good indication of where the investigation goes from there."

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/1...y-found-dead-in-their-mansion-police-say.html

Dear Gregjrichards, always glad to see your insightful and compassionate posts.

I agree, the post mortem examination will yield many clues.

I am curious as to whether the examiner will find skin scrapings under the nails, bruising anywhere and especially evidence of strangulation before the hanging.

I'm sure there is a myriad of other information that the bodies will show possibly happened.

This is a tragic case regardless of what happened. It is always so sad for those loved ones who remain, in this case, their children.

I trust that the police are working exhaustively on this case and hopefully they will determine some answers for the children.

Unrelated to the case, but keeping in mind, fwiw. imo, speculation.

https://www.cp24.com/news/community...reak-and-enters-in-bridle-path-area-1.3706791
December 4, 2017 A community safety meeting was held in North York’s Bridle Path area to address about 160 break-and-enters that led to millions of dollars’ worth of valuables stolen since the beginning of the year.
“I think there are a lot of savvy burglars in our neighbourhood and they have found a way – probably watching when people are leaving, coming and going and they pick the right time,” he said.
Greco said neighbours should be talking to each other about seeing anything suspicious nearby.
“If they see suspicious activity then the police can get a heads up, other residents can get a heads up and then from there we can address the problem before it’s too late.”
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...f_stealing_millions_swears_shes_innocent.html
This is a story about missing millions, stately mansions on the Bridle Path, broken business relationships and an alleged death threat. It features a cast of characters operating in the world of real estate and private loans. Among them is Vakili, a promising young lawyer now on the lam; a businessman who bought the largest home in Canada and who in the past has been charged with several violent crimes though never convicted; his former business associate — a wealthy woman who accuses both of them of defrauding her family — and a shell-shocked husband searching for answers.
Camp located in Bridle Path area
https://globalnews.ca/news/767980/tribute-unveiled-at-camp-rochelle-wise-helped-build/
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Beach-10-Jan-2013&highlight=Donny%94+Pichosky
FL - David 'Donny' Pichosky, 71, & Rochelle Wise, 66, Hallandale Beach, 10 Jan 2013

Florida police ID Toronto couple found dead in townhouse
Deaths considered double homicide after bodies found by concerned neighbour

I believe he would be capable of killing his wife, given the right circumstances, personality wise.

I believe he would be capable of killing his wife, given the right circumstances, personality wise.
I guess, and it would depend on his state of mind in that moment in time. I still can't see him doing it by himself IMO

Since they had been at the home since 1985 and now in their 70's they are selling? It is said that they were going to build another home but really I wonder if they were separating. Maybe they got in some sort of altercation and he killed his wife, then decides to take his own life. Maybe she wanted to leave him and he didn't want her to leave, they fight and she's killed. Then he brings her body to hang with him because he is making sure she is not leaving him.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...potex-founder-two-bodies-north-york-1.4452684
Meanwhile, news of the deaths has prompted an outpouring of grief from neighbours, friends, family, politicians and the business community alike.

Honey Sherman was a member of the board of the Baycrest Foundation and the York University Foundation. She also served on the boards of Mount Sinai's Women's Auxiliary, the Simon Wiesenthal Center and the International American Joint Distribution Committee.
Speaking to reporters on Saturday, Toronto Mayor John Tory described the pair as "extraordinary citizens of the city of Toronto."
"Honey Sherman was a volunteer extraordinaire," he said. "She lit up any room that she came into. She was involved in so many causes in the Jewish community [and] many not…. She was at the centre of raising money and giving money.
"Barry Sherman was a more reserved man but a man who, over his business career, created hundreds and hundreds of jobs for people in the city of Toronto," he added.
"Their memories will live on for a long time because of what they did as two human beings that contributed a lot to our community and our country."

Am wondering if either one of them was newly diagnosed with a terminal illness that no one knew about and they decided it was time to leave this earth together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member