Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
To others involved. The fact that 33 is the unit looking after this says a whole lot too.

Can you elaborate for those of us that don't live in Toronto and are not aware of the history/special status of Toronto Police Service, 33 Division?
I thought 33 Division is looking after this because they are the nearest division, located less than 4km from the Sherman's mansion.

To others involved. The fact that 33 is the unit looking after this says a whole lot too.

What do you mean by that? Just curious. Tx.

They resided in the TPS 33 division, thats what it means for most of us.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by andreww
I find it odd how frugal he was. Verging on mental illness if you ask me. There is nothing frugal about driving a car in to the ground. Breakdowns and repairs become frequent, costing valuable time. Time is money, and when you are as wealthy as Sherman, what does half a day in a repair shop cost you?

Doesn't strike me as odd at all. Some of his actions remind me of my own father, who was also a successful businessman (though not a billionaire!). It makes financial sense...and common sense not to throw out and buy new all the time. I rather admire it.

jmo

What's that saying.. something like.. "if you're rich, you're eccentric; if you're poor, you're just plain crazy".

Apotex Inc. says it wants to set the record straight about how the pharmaceutical company will be managed following the death of its founder, Barry Sherman, and his wife Honey.

Apotex says that Sherman, 75, hadn't been involved in day-to-day operations since he stepped down as chief executive officer five years ago.

Jeremy B. Desai has been president and CEO of Apotex Inc. since 2014 and, prior to that, the CEO's job had been transferred from Sherman to Jack Kay, who is now the company's vice-chairman.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/apotex-barry-sherman-sucesssion-1.4462150?cmp=rss

I find it odd how frugal he was. Verging on mental illness if you ask me. There is nothing frugal about driving a car in to the ground. Breakdowns and repairs become frequent, costing valuable time. Time is money, and when you are as wealthy as Sherman, what does half a day in a repair shop cost you?
In my experience, the wealthy are the chintziest of all.. I was always informed that being chintzy is part and parcel of the wealthy..

This way of killing them seems very movie-like to be a murder or a "hit". Hard to imagine it in real life.

Wasn't it transferred to 'homicide division'? I thought '33' was due to the specific geographic area, but now homicide has taken over. "Homicide detectives have now taken over the investigation into the deaths of two pharmaceutical billionaires that police have deemed "suspicious."" (December 16 article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/shermans-homicide-1.4453623 )

Wasn't it transferred to 'homicide division'? I thought '33' was due to the specific geographic area, but now homicide has taken over. "Homicide detectives have now taken over the investigation into the deaths of two pharmaceutical billionaires that police have deemed "suspicious."" (December 16 article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/shermans-homicide-1.4453623 )

I think its still being described as 'suspicious deaths', not homicides. Yes, homicide has come in to do forensics etc.

I am having a hard time with the message hit too. I mean , Perp says to killers , here is the layout of the house, the Sherman's schedule and half up front . Oh by the way make it look personal and revenge like so I am under police security forever. ????

I think Homicide was investigating since day 1. I think the Unit 33 investigating was just thrown into the media for a purpose. This is just my speculation though.

The pool is an interesting element of this, no pun intended. To me, what better way to hide evidence than to commit the crime in the water? I think they will find that the wife drowned and the husband was hung, with someone pulling on his feet from the water.

Except for the oldest daughter, Honey was not their natural mother. The son and other two daughters were the result of surrogacy.

Some insight to Barry’s thinking - “As a committed Darwinian, he naturally favoured the preservation of his genetic material. In the early 1980s, surrogacy had just become an option in the U.S. It’s likely that his son, Jonathon, was the first child in Canada born to a surrogate mother. “It worked fine.”

https://torontolife.com/from-the-archives/barry-sherman-bitter-pill-from-the-archives/

Could this be the reason that she stood off to the side during the funeral with her young son? It struck me as unusual that Jonathan was up front (yes he was eulogizing) with only two sisters behind him. The eldest was over to the side with a young boy and she was the only one who didn't speak or sing. Maybe she just wasn't up to it after this tragedy. JMO

Regarding the memorial vs. funeral is anyone familiar with the rites of burial relating to suicide in the Jewish religion? If there is no funeral to follow and we only hear of a memorial it may give us a glimpse into the truth in this case. JMO

The pool is an interesting element of this, no pun intended. To me, what better way to hide evidence than to commit the crime in the water? I think they will find that the wife drowned and the husband was hung, with someone pulling on his feet from the water.

None of the autopsy done determined drowning as cause-of-death for either Barry or Honey.

Regarding the memorial vs. funeral is anyone familiar with the rites of burial relating to suicide in the Jewish religion? If there is no funeral to follow and we only hear of a memorial it may give us a glimpse into the truth in this case. JMO

Rumor! There have been no determinations released as yet. According to BenjaminsPark, the funeral director website, the burial was after yesterdays service and Shiva is private

It has nothing to do with the murder, but I do not understand a person with arthritis driving to SC when one could fly there First Class.

To me it seemed an amazing thing to do, in the winter. It really stood out for me. It gave me some insight into Honey's personality. jmo

Hi Everyone,

A quick reminder. Please stay on topic. Opinions on world events, the media, or anything not directly related to this case should not be posted in this thread.

If you do see a post you feel violates our Terms of Service please alert on the post but remember not to quote the post or discuss the post.

If it is decided the post you reported does violate our terms of service we will remove it as soon as possible but if you quote it then we have to remove those posts as well.

Thank you very much for making Websleuths a part of your life.

Take Care,
Tricia

I agree with your statements regarding Jewish law and rules for funerals. In this case, however, the bodies weren't released from the coroner until Monday (as stated by LE) so there was just enough time for a secondary autopsy before this funeral service yesterday. Not sure why you would think they would bring in empty coffins? From the demeanour of the family, their extreme distress during the eulogies etc, it was a funeral. It was also noted as a funeral on the BenjaminsPark website.

There were at least three areas at the conference centre, friends of family, dignitaries and employees. Then, the general public could take the remaining seats.

The private burial took place after the service and shiva is private. Once again, the family are asking that their privacy be respected. JMO

Oh yes thanks - I didn't know they'd released the bodies, I thought the autopsies would take longer than that. A friend of my family died and their body was not released for a couple of weeks because of the autopsy which caused the family a lot of distress. That was because the insurance company required further checks and a second autopsy as asbestosis was involved and it would have resulted in a major claim.

I suppose it didnt feel like a funeral more a memorial - but as you say they went on to the more private, personal funeral afterwards. All very tragic.

I really warmed to Honey in the dance clip - she just seemed bouncy and full of fun and not taking herself too seriously. I bet she was a great Mum. And He comes out of it really well too.

Rumor! There have been no determinations released as yet. According to BenjaminsPark, the funeral director website, the burial was after yesterdays service and Shiva is private

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member