VA - Bethany Stephens, 21, mauled to death by her 2 dogs, Dec 2017

I know areas in Denver and Miami have BSL. The military does in their housing laws. I have not analyzed the data and am ambivalent about the situation

There have been studies which you may know about the rise in serious bites and deaths from bites as the Pitbull mixes have not only gained in numbers but literally exploded as dog of choice in marginalized neighborhoods. Most common shelter dog in my area by far.

My husband who grew up here said that there always were loose dogs, neglected, abused dogs, dogs in problem areas but they were not pitbull types when he was a child. I assume that people are going to get dogs regardless and if a pit ban happens here, some other dogs will take their place. The question is whether the damages will as bad. Pit bites are worse than many breeds’.

The other problem in areas like mine is that there is dog fighting. The vets and authorities know its happening here and in areas around here. That is part of the reason for so many Pit type dogs. That is something that should be completely wiped out.

The other problem with pit bulls are the jerks who get them and deliberately make them mean for certain persona and tough look.

But no dog attack deaths reported in 30 years of data. And one mauling some years ago despite the high density of pit bulls here.
I wish I knew what state you were in. I will tell you this, though. If you have dog fighting rings there, the HSUS has an arm that does undercover investigations on these. I knew the guy who used to do the undercover work. Balls of steel to take that chance, I tell you. But anyway, contact your regional HSUS representative and you can get your area on the list of places they will try to investigate. Local authorities in the south often just let these things slide, so you have to reach outsiders who can help.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BBM

Thanks for responding. Actually, I have read your posts carefully, but it’s not always easy to remember specific points people make. So thanks for the recap. :) I was addressing the individual responsibility of large breed owners. But you make a very good point that legislation and local ordinances need to take up the slack when it comes to irresponsible owners.

Enforcing those local ordinances is problematic though, in my experience. For example, my community has a leash law. When my husband retired, he volunteered at the local police department to patrol the local bike path on his bike and radio in if there were problems. Many people walk their dogs there off-leash, claiming they are “under their control.” My husband sought clarification from police, and they waffled on the meaning of the ordinance, so it was not enforced, and was useless.

You make a very important point in your last sentence about education. I think ignorance is just as much a factor as the me-ism I mentioned in my previous post. I will confess to being a young and dumb first-time dog owner in 1969. We were moving to our newly purchased 10 acres in the redwoods, friends had adorable registered Samoyed puppies, and we impulsively took one with us. Both of us came from extended families with either no pets or cats, so we were clueless about dogs. We didn’t know what we didn’t know, although we did try to do research and train her a little. We never gave much thought about our responsibility toward others. Did I mention we were young and dumb (about dogs, anyway)? Fortunately, Heather was a wonderful dog, so our ignorance did not cause damage (except to furniture!). We decided later to stick to cats. :)

I think many well-meaning people like us go into dog ownership uneducated and unprepared. If they have a large breed, the results can be terrible. And, as the horror story posted above shows, even the most conscientious dog owner can have a catastrophe.

So this is a valuable conversation, even though there is no way to completely erase risk, with legislation or education. But it’s a start.
Don't feel powerless to get those leash laws enforced or beefed up. I addressed this in a post above while you were typing.

You can also work with your local Humane Society to tackle the issue of education.

As to her size and handling two on leash, it might be pretty difficult. When Tonk was young, it appeared she used a gentle leader, which gives you good control. However, it takes some effort to place one on two dogs, and if you don't get it on right, it can come off. I wonder if she took the time to place gentle leaders on them that day, or perhaps even got one on wrong and one got loose.

My guess is that Bethany let the dogs off leash in that area. That’s what I do when I take out dogs to 800 acres of forest, field, farm. Private property owned by family. I have my dogs on a Leerburg dominance collar when I walk them in the neighborhood or take them anywhere because I cannot physically control them with regular collars or harnesses if they should decide not to to indulge me, and I know it. Though they now are fine with regular collared and leashes, one is even well trained off leas, I want that extra control in public places. That collar works like a charm. My second dog would pull at the leash before I got that. Now they both walk in step with me and I rarely have to tug, even with a regular collar. They wear regular collars all of the time, but i slip on the Leeburg that i kept attached to their leashes. I remove that collar still attached to leash when we go out to the country.

Yes it Involved a number of risks I take going there. Alone with just the dogs in secluded place, someone might approach me, tics and bugs, dogs might not return from romp, I could have a stroke or heartattack, fall and get hurt, ...or God forbid, a Bethany situation, something that did not occur to me.

No one who is a guest on our property has to deal with our dogs if they have any misgivings, and in certain cases even if they are fine with the dogs, we still put them away into a locked bedroom. Children, and elderly, and anyone who appears uncomfortable though saying they are fine, fall into that category. Also I’d the dogs are becoming too much of a distraction or misbehaving ( jumping, sticking nose uninvited, trip factor, etc) But I fully acknowledge that there are still risks

1) Yes, I believe it is possible for any dog to “snap” from any trigger that we often cannot identify
2) if something should happen, I am not physically fast or strong enough to control those dogs
3) things can happen so quickly that damage can be done before any intervention or defense be enacted
4) I have the added risk of 2 dogs. So pack mentality is a wild card factor here. A large number of attacks involve multiple dogs. You don’t just double risks with a second dog. They go up sharply. The dogs compete for attention which can whip them into a frenzy. Though we remove the dogs when we see this, things can happen fast
5) one of the dogs is a mix likely in the higher risk categories for dog bites. He is also stronger and faster than his size warrants.

These factors all carry real risks. I can counter with low risk factors in place; dogs trained, no history of aggression, neutered, know history since 8 weeks old, well socialized, extremely instantly reactive with a tongue click from me—yes, they instantly stop whatever they are doing and immediately come to me and get a treat when they do do. (So far 100% compliance
But.... does that make them 100% safe? No . And even 99% is not good. enough given that means at least three misses in a year with 365 days. Percentages have to be far far lower than that

So fears are real, yes. We get to choose some of them. But if you are out and about, not so much when there are people with dogs that are not completely under owner control out there. Because dogs are allowed, that risk is there for anyone who ventured outside of home

We do much the same with our big guys, and even the little fellas. Not everyone is comfortable with them and we put them up if we know they are coming or see them pull in. Especially the elderly and folks with children with them. Even if they didn't mean to hurt them they could cause a terrible fall just bouncing around them wanting to be petted. One of my grandchildren has a terrible fear of all dogs and is not to keen on cats, either. We put everyone up when he is coming to visit. He starts asking before we even pull in the drive if our dogs are put away. He is only six and developed this fear out of nowhere, about two years ago, after a traumatic surgery, unrelated to dogs at all. The doctor said it was common in small children who have gone through trauma, to develop fears afterward. They said he should outgrow them.

I posted the story from Dogbites about little Dax. I realize they are an anti-pit, anti-Rott, site and almost an anti-dog site. My main reason for posting the story is because this is what can happen when one has large dogs whose lineage come directly from being bred to chase, and hold bear, and bulls, etc., then were further destructed by humans thinking it was cool to fight them in pits against one another.

I didn't post it for stats, I posted it as a realistic view of what can happen to a child up against a pit whose never bitten anyone, and was raised from pups, by the same owner. I, unlike dogbites, agree with the sheriff, in the story, that it was a "perfect storm" that day. Three years ago this Christmas, a woman left to see family, and upon her return, her husband had been mauled to death by one, of their two pits. She said there'd been signs of food aggression in the past and she'd asked him to euth the one responsible for killing him. He wouldn't. Apparently that Christmas Day, the perfect storm happened. She saw the signs, he didn't think the dog would do that. If your Yorkie goes ballistic on you, you aren't likely to die, not so with these big dogs. Signs of aggression need to be taken seriously. The woman who babysat Dax, may not have noticed signs in her own dogs, or dismissed them.

I agree, all dogs can bite. I had a couple Beagles when I was very young, 4-5, that became protective of me, and would snap at folks who came around me. My parents gave them back to my grandpa, who'd given them to me,as pups, to use as hunting dogs. My Malamute, I had, years ago,bit a guy who was at our home. I'd told him to not touch her, that she was hurt, and didn't know him, and could bite. I was calling a vet to come out (they used to do that here, that was over 30 years ago), but he went right ahead and messed with her, and she bit him. Four perfect punctures in his arm. A couple stitches in each puncture and that was it, my dog had been hurt badly, and had to be put down. :(

Even though they may not bite any more, than other dogs, my point is, that when they do bite, it is usually extremely severe, and many times fatal, for a small child, or an elderly person. Cane Corsos are getting a rep now too. Do I think that all Cane Corsos are bad dogs? No. But the AKC even states the type of temperament the dog has, and type of owner that the dog should have. I think a lot of folks don't take these things seriously when getting a dog. They get a dog that's too much for them. I don't ride and train horses anymore b/c I know my limitations now, after some rather bad injuries. I've had a couple of very temperamental walking horses but that doesn't mean all walkers are bad. For the most part they are a wonderful breed that has suffered much abuse. However, I've never sold a temperamental horse to a person who was a beginning rider and I've been up front about their history. We have a little pony mule for the grandkids to learn to ride on and that's it now.

The article below is from the Christmas Day death, and has a quote from a certified dog trainer and dog behaviour consultant. While I agree with her, I have to admit that we don't usually see these types of wounds, from other breeds. That's my concern about the pit bull terrier lines, when they do go aggressive.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/...cle_ada25297-f706-5674-b4f5-e1f16ad882b7.html
From the bit I posted earlier

"*advertiser censored*recent (2017)*peer-reviewed study*that analyzed 140 dog bite incidents concluded*that there is*no*difference (in the medical treatment required*following a bite or in the*type of bite inflicted)*between dog bites*by breeds perceived as "dangerous" (legislated breeds such as "pitbull-type" breeds)*and*breeds that are not perceived as "dangerous" (non-legislated breeds)."

The actual study is here.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28736610

I think we've been inundated with so much false information that our brains are having trouble digesting that scientific studies point to much of this being myth.

I wish I knew what state you were in. I will tell you this, though. If you have dog fighting rings there, the HSUS has an arm that does undercover investigations on these. I knew the guy who used to do the undercover work. Balls of steel to take that chance, I tell you. But anyway, contact your regional HSUS representative and you can get your area on the list of places they will try to investigate. Local authorities in the south often just let these things slide, so you have to reach outsiders who can help.

There are suspicions that LE are involved in the dog fighting. The vets in the area have had investigations triggered because they have seen uptick of fight type injuries.

Just a note before I get on with my day. Each of you has the power to make change if you are really passionate about protecting people and animals. I know for some it may seem daunting, but it's really not that hard to affect change at the local level, or at least instigate a community conversation about it. And you can find support with local animal groups. And yes, I am talking about the dangerous dog issue.

Your local animal groups need the support and voices of average citizens to help instigate change. Local politicians don't want to enact laws that infringe on people's rights. So you go at it from the angle of protecting children and the community. Gather the statistics from the CDC and AVMA and take it to your city council or county board and ask them to pass common sense ordinances against chaining and small kennels. Ask that they enact a variable dog registration license that makes it more expensive to keep unaltered animals. As that they pass a non breed specific dangerous dog law. Ask that they enact or enforce leash laws. Look at the common factors that scientific studies have shown with these attacks and tackle those problems. Because if you just try to get BSL, you won't reduce fatal attacks in the long run. Studies have shown that a different breed will simply fill that vacuum and you'll be right back where you started.

Agree. We now even have our county judge on board with personally trying to make things better.

I am very grateful for all of the discussion on this topic. I'm sure, or at least I'd imagine, Bethany would have given her passionate argument for her right to own pitbull-type dogs in general, and the dogs that eventually killed her, in particular.

If BSL were successful in wiping out the pit bull types, let's pretend, there would always be another powerful breed to take their place.

Extremists from both sides muddy the waters, imo.

That is my biggest complaint about Sarasota.

Pretty much everyone who owns a dog drags them everywhere they go, lets them run around loose at times like right outside Publix this morning (as if I care how well trained someone's dog is when it comes to vocal commands) and yeah this is really getting old and I do not just mean the people either...

I would not even get into the discussion of restaurants since DH and I very rarely eat out...

Just a note before I get on with my day. Each of you has the power to make change if you are really passionate about protecting people and animals. I know for some it may seem daunting, but it's really not that hard to affect change at the local level, or at least instigate a community conversation about it. And you can find support with local animal groups. And yes, I am talking about the dangerous dog issue.

Your local animal groups need the support and voices of average citizens to help instigate change. Local politicians don't want to enact laws that infringe on people's rights. So you go at it from the angle of protecting children and the community. Gather the statistics from the CDC and AVMA and take it to your city council or county board and ask them to pass common sense ordinances against chaining and small kennels. Ask that they enact a variable dog registration license that makes it more expensive to keep unaltered animals. As that they pass a non breed specific dangerous dog law. Ask that they enact or enforce leash laws. Look at the common factors that scientific studies have shown with these attacks and tackle those problems. Because if you just try to get BSL, you won't reduce fatal attacks in the long run. Studies have shown that a different breed will simply fill that vacuum and you'll be right back where you started.

Bbm
You took the words right out of my head, with studies to back you up no less. I appreciate your input and should have read through before I posted.

Forgot to add:

While on the subject of dogs and parks - and there are a number of offenders here in the city - parks like Red Bug Slough Preserve which allows dogs on leashes (yep people still take them off the leashes and let them run around; oh, the park also has a lot of signs posted by the water areas that say no dogs beyond this point (gee maybe because there's alligators in the water?!).

Plenty of news items out there - pit bulls are not exempt either.

Alligators, American Crocodiles, Dogs, and Florida

From the bit I posted earlier

"*advertiser censored*recent (2017)*peer-reviewed study*that analyzed 140 dog bite incidents concluded*that there is*no*difference (in the medical treatment required*following a bite or in the*type of bite inflicted)*between dog bites*by breeds perceived as "dangerous" (legislated breeds such as "pitbull-type" breeds)*and*breeds that are not perceived as "dangerous" (non-legislated breeds)."

The actual study is here.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28736610

I think we've been inundated with so much false information that our brains are having trouble digesting that scientific studies point to much of this being myth.

I don't disagree with the type or the location but their bite is more severe due to their determination, and ability, to hold on and shake. These are dogs who took down bulls and bears. Not just any breed can do that. Also the study is from Ireland. Ireland had a problem with inbreeding their dogs, but, some have started to import dogs to help with that problem, but others wanted the specific colors, size, etc... and found inbreeding to be a fix for that. However, just as in humans, it is problematic more-so, than bringing out positive traits. I'd not doubt that inbreeding has occurred here to produce desired colors (red nose/blue nose, etc...). Some folks will argue all day long over which nose color makes the best pitbull. However, inbreeding takes a toll on the dogs mental stability. I've wondered if that could be the problem sometimes when a dog triggers. Look at how inbreeding and just plain poor breeding standards nearly ruined the Rott and the GSD. All of the rules and regulations in the world cannot stop poor breeding.

"A mental element is also inherent to the dangers of inbreeding pit bulls. Healthy, well-adjusted and well-bred pit bulls are known for being eager to please and devoted to their owners and families as well as being friendly but protective of their families if they are aware something is wrong. Dogs that have been inbred show few of these traits, and mental illness is common in puppies with closely related parents. These inbred dogs are difficult to train and are potentially dangerous; unfortunately these traits often come out after they have been purchased from a breeder and taken home. A genetic defect that results in mental illness also has the tendency to skip a few generations, so if a puppy with the condition is bred, it may become much more severe several generations later."
https://www.cuteness.com/article/inbred-pitbulls

"Dogs that are inbred are sometimes much more aggressive than their mixed breed counterparts. This can result in behavioral problems including biting, chasing cars and other animals, escaping and playing too roughly, among many others."
https://www.vetinfo.com/problems-with-inbreeding-dogs.html

Breeders who mate closely related dogs are creating genetically unstable animals, writes Karlin Lillington
https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/dog-s-life-for-pedigree-breeds-due-to-inbreeding-1.932691

That is my biggest complaint about Sarasota.

Pretty much everyone who owns a dog drags them everywhere they go, lets them run around loose at times like right outside Publix this morning (as if I care how well trained someone's dog is when it comes to vocal commands) and yeah this is really getting old and I do not just mean the people either...

I would not even get into the discussion of restaurants since DH and I very rarely eat out...

I have a problem with folks being able to buy a therapy dog vest on amazon, cards included, then putting it on a non-therapy dog, and then bringing said dog with them all over tarnation.

I know of a lovely young couple who have a pitbull and are about to have a baby. I'm considering sending them these stats. Any parent who risks having their child near this breed of dog is in serious denial and needs their head examined.

"The numbers don't lie.

And when it comes to pit bulls and fatalities, here's what they say: "In the 10-year period from 2005 to 2014, pit bulls killed 203 Americans and accounted for 62 percent of the total recorded deaths (326). Combined, pit bulls and rottweilers accounted for 74 percent of these deaths."
That's from dogsbite.org, a national dog bite victims' group dedicated to reducing serious dog attacks.
If you're thinking that maybe we just have a lot of pit bulls in America, so of course they bit more people, no. They make up about 6 percent of the total dog population in the country."

[FONT=&amp]What’s wrong with pit bulls?[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]

• There are more than 25 media reports of pit bull attacks on people per week, and one death every 13 days.
  • By comparison, there are approximately 15 shark attacks on people per year in the United States, with one death every two years.
  • Pit bull attacks are rarely “dog bites”. Most attacks require hospitalization.
  • Although they represent only 4.5% of dogs in America, pit bulls killed 64.4% of 360 Americans who died as a result of a dog bite injury between 2005-2015, compared to Rottweilers at 11.4% and German Shepherds at 3.6%.
  • Pit bull attacks have increased 830% in seven years in the US and Canada.
  • In addition to attacks on people, pit bulls killed 24,000 other dogs and 13,000 cats in the US in 2015, or 66 dogs per day.
[/FONT]

I know of a lovely young couple who have a pitbull and are about to have a baby. I'm considering sending them these stats. Any parent who risks having their child near this breed of dog is in serious denial and needs their head examined.

"The numbers don't lie.

And when it comes to pit bulls and fatalities, here's what they say: "In the 10-year period from 2005 to 2014, pit bulls killed 203 Americans and accounted for 62 percent of the total recorded deaths (326). Combined, pit bulls and rottweilers accounted for 74 percent of these deaths."
That's from dogsbite.org, a national dog bite victims' group dedicated to reducing serious dog attacks.
If you're thinking that maybe we just have a lot of pit bulls in America, so of course they bit more people, no. They make up about 6 percent of the total dog population in the country."

[FONT=&amp]

• There are more than 25 media reports of pit bull attacks on people per week, and one death every 13 days.
  • By comparison, there are approximately 15 shark attacks on people per year in the United States, with one death every two years.
  • Pit bull attacks are rarely “dog bites”. Most attacks require hospitalization.
  • Although they represent only 4.5% of dogs in America, pit bulls killed 64.4% of 360 Americans who died as a result of a dog bite injury between 2005-2015, compared to Rottweilers at 11.4% and German Shepherds at 3.6%.
  • In addition to attacks on people, pit bulls killed 24,000 other dogs and 13,000 cats in the US in 2015, or 66 dogs per day.
[/FONT]

Anybody who owns a dog and is bringing a baby home needs to take extra precautions and heed any warning signs.

I hope you can find a way to approach your friends that will allow them to be open minded about the safety of their newly minted family.

Imo, I'd leave the "need to have your head examined" part out if you value the friendship.

ETA:. Here is a 2008 story that stuck with me of a lab puppy that killed a baby. http://m.newson6.com/story.aspx?story=8746561&catId=112042.

I remembered this from 2006, but unfortunately it is a pit bull, not another breed, but still a puppy eating baby toes. http://www.foxnews.com/story/2006/1...chewed-off-baby-toes-while-parents-slept.html

Babies in particular are truly in danger of any dog. These are clearly neglect cases as well, but babies and dogs require vigilance and knowledge and preferably experience.

I always introduced my dogs to my newborn child as soon as we got home from the hospital. I let the dogs sniff the child - some say this tells the dog that the child is related to us and therefore part of the "master". I remember my GS the most. She gave my daughter, brought home on Christmas day, a huge kiss with her big, wet tongue. My mother almost had cardiac arrest 'cause it was unsanitary, and not safe. But it was safe, even if a bit unsanitary. From that time on the dog knew the wee one was part of me, leader of the pack, and acted accordingly.

Anybody who owns a dog and is bringing a baby home needs to take extra precautions and heed any warning signs.

I hope you can find a way to approach your friends that will allow them to be open minded about the safety of their newly minted family.

Imo, I'd leave the "need to have your head examined" part out if you value the friendship.

Had a wolf hybrid (keri) few years back, already had lab & husky. She was not a problem until young child (5) was visiting. While standing on the other side or the fence and looking at keri she paced back and forth the whole time looking at child like she was her next meal.

Needless to say she went back to breeder.

The world needs more dog owners like you.

ETA: not that I advocate "getting rid" of a dog at the first sign of trouble, just feeding the warning the dog gave you. There are almost never any perfect solutions when a dog can't remain in the home for whatever reasons. I do hope to be an individual part of the solution.

Others said this was a good article someone else posted. I don't have a subscription, but wanted to bring this forward for Bethany and her family to bring the conversation there again.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-described-the-horror/?utm_term=.9471cf24d65f

I was shocked by some original details like someone reporting after the fact that they'd heard screams, the body being unclothed. They struck me as odd for different reasons, but both details were eerily echoed in little Dax's horror story. I feel confident these and other details were alluded to when LE mentioned they'd had contact with other departments with similar cases.

I wish Bethany had more information at her disposal. I wish she'd viewed euthanizing a dog, especially a powerful dog, who'd shown aggression (as the one dog did in recent news reports) as the most loving and compassionate option. I wish she'd had the time to gain experience and live her life.

"The numbers don't lie.

[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

Not a pit, but this happened in my state, a few years back. Although there's been several dog attacks, some resulting in fatalities, here, since this happened. Children and the elderly are at the highest risk.

This, for me, is the story though that I tell, and feel helps, people understand, to not leave an infant/young child unattended with your dog. Based on the two interviews, with the father, I truly do not believe the dog was attempting to harm this particular child, but it was a tragic incident nonetheless. It highlights the need to be very watchful of dogs (and cats) around infants. Most folks cannot fathom that their pet would hurt them or their child. When they see it like this, it can help hit home. This dog was just doing what came natural to this dog, is my thinking. I'd not left the dog in a position to be able to go into the child's room though.

Wolf-hybrid takes infant from crib.
http://www.wdrb.com/story/10766315/wolf-hybrid-dog-drags-baby-from-crib

"She said, 'It's quiet. I'm going to run upstairs real quick,' and when she ran upstairs, she realized the back door was open," he said. "I heard her scream and at that point knew something wasn't good."

They immediately suspected their 4-year-old wolf-collie mix, named Dakota, had something to do with the disappearance of their newborn.

"She just has a habit of taking cubs or stuffed animals and takes them out to several places in the back," Smith said. They started searching in the woods surrounding their 20-acre Jessamine County home. Five minutes later, Smith spotted Dakota with his baby.

http://www.wlky.com/article/father-dog-carried-baby-like-loaf-of-bread/3726850

Note: Do a google on Cat Attacks Baby... My ex was attacked by a cat in his 20s! His mother's house cat. Albeit he probably deserved it but they liked to have never got that cat off of him. He was shirtless and bore scares til the day he died. A co-worker was attacked by her cat and nearly lost her foot (she kept the cat). My own cat held a stranger, in our home, at bay only because SHE didn't know him. The man was calling out for us to help him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back