VA - Bethany Stephens, 21, mauled to death by her 2 dogs, Dec 2017

Out of curiosity, I checked out my county animal shelter online. Broke my heart. Out of 13 dogs listed, 8 were identified as and looked like pit bull types/mixes, 1 was a Rottie, 1 was a German Shepherd, and only 3 were small dogs (chihuahua, dachshund and Jack Russell types which are known to be high-strung and aggressive). Not one easier breed in the bunch. Some had been relinquished by homeless owners (and there are many with dogs in my town). When I expanded the search to 100 miles through Pet Finders, the results were similar. Anyone looking for a small, easy dog from a shelter or rescue organization is unlikely to find it. And I can’t imagine that all these big dogs will be adopted. :(

https://jacksoncountyor.org/hhs/Animal-Services/Adoption/Dogs

https://www.petfinder.com/search/do.../medford/?distance=100&sort[0]=recently_added

It shocks me to look at the websites for animal rescues around here ... 99% is the average rate of all pit-bull or pit-bull mixes. There is a reason, and I don’t believe it is just too many births; the majority were bred and discarded.

We had a neighbor who was twice caught keeping 8-12 German shepherds inside her home ... once was before they moved here. They never allowed them out, not even to potty. So when one might escape, it terrorized the neighbors. We did not know how many were there until the house was raided by police and animal rescue after a repairman reported nearly being attacked and the house was condemned .... it stunk just to walk by. Where the dogs ended up, I have no idea.

Out of curiosity, I checked out my county animal shelter online. Broke my heart. Out of 13 dogs listed, 8 were identified as and looked like pit bull types/mixes, 1 was a Rottie, 1 was a German Shepherd, and only 3 were small dogs (chihuahua, dachshund and Jack Russell types which are known to be high-strung and aggressive). Not one easier breed in the bunch. Some had been relinquished by homeless owners (and there are many with dogs in my town). When I expanded the search to 100 miles through Pet Finders, the results were similar. Anyone looking for a small, easy dog from a shelter or rescue organization is unlikely to find it. And I can’t imagine that all these big dogs will be adopted. :(

https://jacksoncountyor.org/hhs/Animal-Services/Adoption/Dogs

https://www.petfinder.com/search/do.../medford/?distance=100&sort[0]=recently_added
Those are interesting results. Quite a big difference depending on the region. However, note that many of the more adoptable animals may have found homes between the big pre-Christmas petsmart events, reduced adoption fees, and on site adoptions.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think that anyone who has read through this entire thread would hopefully walk away with a bit of knowledge when it comes to getting a dog, or any animal.

Any breed needs to be carefully assessed as to it's basic development......ie., is this breed a companion, tool, both, or neither?
If you have the opportunity to interact with the dam and sire, are they well mannered, stand offish, and/or aggressive?
If you get from a breeder, call the animal control in their area to see if there's been any complaints.
God bless you if you decide on a rescue, but out here in the boonies, displaced city folk tend to pass on their problems when their "awesome Herd dog" slaughtered all their chickens or their expensive "Livestock Guardian dog" gutted a calf. Here we have a leash law, "open range", so you better keep your property fenced. Dogs have fenced ACREAGE to run, dig, and play on. Dumping them at a rescue is just passing on a disaster.

I've had one total cluster **** of a rescue about 9 years back with a wolfdog (wolf hybrid). I've had wolfdogs since 1995. I KNOW when to walk away.........but, the owner in Texas sedated the dog, at the halfway point in New Mexico the WD showed major aggression towards all the handlers (sedation again), we picked her up in Albuquerque (that was a trial by fire) and got her home. Within 18 hours, she had savaged my forearm (my male wolfdog rolled her before I even knew I was bleeding), attacked both me and my ex BF, stalked us and the other animals here..........and no sanctuary had any openings. Tough call but we weren't going to pass her on. Seriously, she scared the bejesus out of us, and my male placed himself between us. We got the back story on her in the next few weeks and it was HORRIFIC. Inbred (father/daughter), lone survivor of a litter of 8, rescued, rehomed, red flagged at 2 Petsmart's (Michigan & Texas), ended up on a chain, underweight, and repeatedly hit with a 2 x 4, everyone lost interest, County was going to take them to court for dog at large (3rd offense), HOA was going to sue. AND no one had her vac records if she even had any.

We got NONE of this info. And we were the one's who had to put her down. Needless to say, I quit supporting and referring people to that nationwide organization.

I imagine with the popularity of "Game of Thrones", wolfdogs and wolf looking type dogs are becoming the newest accessory. I wouldn't know, I quit keeping up on the trends.

KNOW the breed you're looking at, read EVERYTHING you can on it. Does it fit your lifestyle? Do have enough room? Will it be around adults only or a mixed bag of humans? What about other critters? Are you going to provide the thing that the dog does best. ie., herding, running, playing, hunting, or just chillin out?

As far as training, read the books, listen to the experts, and take what works for YOUR dog, you know him best, and leave the rest. Your dog isn't going to read any of those books or respect every trainer it meets.

This tragedy could have been avoided, like many have said, "It was a perfect storm". A dog (or any animal) is a LIFE TIME commitment (10-18 years for dogs). They're like children: when you relocate, when you aren't available, when they're crated, when someone else feeds them........they stress. They may panick. They may, in extreme cases, go bat **** crazy. And some may be cool as a cucumber.

As far as "There are no bad dogs, just bad owners".....NOT in all cases. Some dogs are just born evil, just like people.

Great post! I'm not so sure about the evil but I do think that for some, like people, it is in their genes, dna, bloodline, breeding, whatever you want to call it. Just like some folks are born as sociopaths or psychopaths. I think dogs can have things wrong with them, like that. It's been show that dogs, and other animals, especially with inbreeding, can have a forms of mental retardation, autism, epilepsy, etc... This is why, and it may sound cruel, but I will not adopt Rotts., nor any large breed dog, from county shelters. I have adopted smaller dogs, though. I know what folks do with these dogs and they can be very damaged, and some of our county folks, as much as they care, I worry about their qualifications at assessing. I want to see parents, papers, kennel, talk to the owner, etc...

Those are interesting results. Quite a big difference depending on the region. However, note that many of the more adoptable animals may have found homes between the big pre-Christmas petsmart events, reduced adoption fees, and on site adoptions.

I certainly hope some have been adopted. I felt so sorry for them. I just hope their sad eyes didn’t play on the emotions of people with big hearts but ill-equipped to handle them. Thankfully, I think prospective owners are pretty well screened.

Yes, thanks. This tragedy was reported and a new thread linked upthread yesterday. I posted a link to this thread over there so folks can be aware of the intelligent and in depth discussion contained here.

Ah, sorry, I must have missed it, so many long posts!

Ours has about 1/4 pits and pit mixes, combined. It's sometimes more when it's pup season. They just adopted one a 3 or 4 y/o Pit, whose description kind of gave me pause, the description read the dog needed a home with older, sturdier, children, and the dog needs basic obedience training, is "very strong" and pulls on her lead. There's also a mastiff that gave me pause, Adult Mastiff - No Small Animals (I'd not be too sure about small kids with that description.) Then there's an adult Heinz 57 who is up for adoption, but is okay w/dogs & cats, but is currently terrified. I think these dogs need some additional help, at a foster placement, before going out to the average dog owner. That's just me.

There's a Cons & Canines type of thing at one of the local prisons and it has been a very good program for both the Cons and the Canines. They teach them their obedience training, house training, etc... to help the dogs have a better chance of making it with their new family, when ready for adoption.

Ours has about 1/4 pits and pit mixes, combined. It's sometimes more when it's pup season. They just adopted one a 3 or 4 y/o Pit, whose description kind of gave me pause, the description read the dog needed a home with older, sturdier, children, and the dog needs basic obedience training, is "very strong" and pulls on her lead. There's also a mastiff that gave me pause, Adult Mastiff - No Small Animals (I'd not be too sure about small kids with that description.) Then there's an adult Heinz 57 who is up for adoption, but is okay w/dogs & cats, but is currently terrified. I think these dogs need some additional help, at a foster placement, before going out to the average dog owner. That's just me.

There's a Cons & Canines type of thing at one of the local prisons and it has been a very good program for both the Cons and the Canines. They teach them their obedience training, house training, etc... to help the dogs have a better chance of making it with their new family, when ready for adoption.
Putting them up for "adoption" on petfinder doesn't mean that they are seeking just any home, or even a regular home yet. Petfinder is a way to keep your intake in a computerized system that rescues and fosters can look at. This is how many dogs are found by rescues. I wouldn't be too nervous about these dogs going to just any home unless your shelter has a reputation for poor placement. The animal control facility where I primarily pulled from had its kennels EMPTIED December 23rd by rescue pulls. Never seen that happen in all my years, but it did this year!

They do where I live and it we have hardly any strays, or they are not strays for long.
I know of one county in Kentucky that requires that any dog adopted in Fayette must be microchipped.

It's become standard practice for most US rescues and many animal control agencies to microchip prior to adoption, though. Breeders, however, seem to be slower to catch on. It would hold them more accountable, though, for their bad matches and poorly bred dogs that could be tracked back to them when it goes wrong (and perhaps that's why it's not standard with them).

If one of our previously adopted dogs or cats gets lost and the owner cannot be reached, we get a call as the organization that chipped them. That helps me rest easy, as it is less likely that anything I've rescued would end up euthanized in a shelter for any reason.

I know of one county in Kentucky that requires that any dog adopted in Fayette must be microchipped.

It's become standard practice for most US rescues and many animal control agencies to microchip prior to adoption, though. Breeders, however, seem to be slower to catch on. It would hold them more accountable, though, for their bad matches and poorly bred dogs that could be tracked back to them when it goes wrong (and perhaps that's why it's not standard with them).

If one of our previously adopted dogs or cats gets lost and the owner cannot be reached, we get a call as the organization that chipped them. That helps me rest easy, as it is less likely that anything I've rescued would end up euthanized in a shelter for any reason.

Dogs and cats that are sold, either from a breeder or a pet shop are not allowed to sold without a microchip. It works very well with dogs, but kittens who are just given away, not so well. Once an animal has been in a shelter, they are not allowed to be adopted until they have been desexed and microchipped, if they haven't already.
We do have a few pitbulls, but they are, as of fifteen years ago, not allowed to be imported. The small residual breeding pool of them, must be kept under strict regulations and registered as restricted breeds.also have to have a breeders licence to breed them, the person who buys them, has to be approved and if not a registered breeder has to have them desexed within 28 days of ownership.

Dogs and cats that are sold, either from a breeder or a pet shop are not allowed to sold without a microchip. It works very well with dogs, but kittens who are just given away, not so well. Once an animal has been in a shelter, they are not allowed to be adopted until they have been desexed and microchipped, if they haven't already.
We do have a few pitbulls, but they are, as of fifteen years ago, not allowed to be imported. The small residual breeding pool of them, must be kept under strict regulations and registered as restricted breeds.also have to have a breeders licence to breed them, the person who buys them, has to be approved and if not a registered breeder has to have them desexed within 28 days of ownership.
Is this Canada? This is smart. We need more breeder regulations and spay/neuter control here. Most of our shelters, except some back woods ones, alter all animals prior to adoption.

Putting them up for "adoption" on petfinder doesn't mean that they are seeking just any home, or even a regular home yet. Petfinder is a way to keep your intake in a computerized system that rescues and fosters can look at. This is how many dogs are found by rescues. I wouldn't be too nervous about these dogs going to just any home unless your shelter has a reputation for poor placement. The animal control facility where I primarily pulled from had its kennels EMPTIED December 23rd by rescue pulls. Never seen that happen in all my years, but it did this year!

No, this is on our FB County Shelter site, listed under Adoptable. The put Foster Needed when that's what they are seeking or Foster Placement Only.

Is this Canada? This is smart. We need more breeder regulations and spay/neuter control here. Most of our shelters, except some back woods ones, alter all animals prior to adoption.

Australia. We have many unique wildlife species (especially Koalas) who have no defence mechanisms against imported predators. Our cats are not allowed out at night. Of course some irresponsible people do let their cats out, but most don't.

Australia. We have many unique wildlife species (especially Koalas) who have no defence mechanisms against imported predators. Our cats are not allowed out at night. Of course some irresponsible people do let their cats out, but most don't.
I'm impressed.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member