Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tie a rope or belt around something you consider heavy, wrap the other end around your wrist and then lean back.

As long as your weight is comparable to the item you're dragging, it will move.

Do the same for lifting. Put the belt or rope up over something and pull down. Using an object like a pulley immediately halves the weight you have to lift. (Plus a bit of friction)

It's basic physics. There are many people over 70 that can still perform some serious physical tasks. There is no indication he was frail, underweight, sickly or bedridden.

There is indication though, that he was a "rocket scientist", so creating a murder-suicide scene could have been a rather simple task for him if he put his mind to it.

July 2008
..Like many prodigies, Barry was an awkward, introverted, insecure little boy. He suffered so severely from lethargy that his Grade 5 classmates called him “Grandpa.” To this day he fights fatigue, needs 10 hours of sleep and struggles to get out of bed in the morning.

Snipped...

https://torontolife.com/from-the-archives/barry-sherman-bitter-pill-from-the-archives/

Which is the opposite of what has been said recently, such as he only sleeps a few hours a night. Maybe he was on some sort of medication that kept him "up" and that can cause anger issues. Also not sleeping much can make people snappy.

I agree with the post that said, likely the first call of it being a murder-suicide is correct and that all this sewer business etc is going through the mechanics of the investigation to assure everyone that nothing was overlooked. If the police thought it was a double homicide there would be some effort to look for a suspect and at least a feasible way the house was entered and exited. Surely some neighbours have cameras pointed at the street. Age doesn't necessarily indicate anything eg Barry was 75 so unable to physically commandeer something like this. People age very differently. Some are 'old' as in worn out at 55 while others are physically and mentally in good shape at 75 or older. :scared:

Why is that angry red face in the upper left corner? Some glitch.

Widow, The police have not spoken for over a week, then only to give the COD. We have no idea of what efforts are being made to find suspect/if there are suspects or whatever else they may be doing. The toxicology reports are not in, won't be for probably another week.
There were links to the FACT that the Shermans left the side door open and you could just walk in. The police did do a search for video from other homes and had an ADT tech out there one week ago. They are not saying anything until after speaking with the family, as it should be but we have no idea when/if that will happen. There is also a separate, private investigation happening because the family wanted it and have the resources to do so. Lawyer Brian Greenspan is helping them with manoeuvring through this terrible tragedy.

Nothing can be ruled in or out at this point. Although at this point in time, I believe they were murdered. IMO

Well I can't compare this with terrorists or these videos. Barry was old and to do this to a wife he was married to for years on end and being 75 it's hard to imagine him going through this. I think he would be too old and tired. MOO
BBM

I’m not replying to be argumentative, but to counter the oft-repeated stereotype that a 75 year old man is automatically too old and tired to do something this physical. We honestly don’t know what kind of shape Barry was in. He doesn’t look like an athlete, but he doesn’t look infirm either. Aging is very individual. Some 60 year olds are “old” and some 85 year olds are amazingly fit. I know of a 100 year old who only recently gave up playing tennis! A friend golfed into his 90’s. My 73 year old husband rides his electric bike or walks all over our town. Unless we know for sure that Barry had issues preventing physical activity, we really can’t say what he could or couldn’t do.
Stepping off my soap box...very carefully so I don’t fall and break my hip. :D

I agree, too many minor variances but money talks. A very nice home in the works though. Well, with permits, it will sell easily. JMO

Do you think the home will be built? The variances go with the property so if someone else buys it, they get those variances, I believe,.I wonder what happens with the contract with the builders, etc in this kind of circumstance?

Anyway, I was actually womdering how soon their original house would sell . The one they were living in. Not after the tragedy. I was wondering where they would live while the house is being built.

I was womdering if they anticipated a long wait for a sale?
They wanted a bigger home. Honey did a lot of entertaining in her home. So where were they going to live? Buidling a house like the one they wanted would take how long?

Which is the opposite of what has been said recently, such as he only sleeps a few hours a night. Maybe he was on some sort of medication that kept him "up" and that can cause anger issues. Also not sleeping much can make people snappy.
Having known a number of entrepreneurs and executives, I doubt he could have built his company into a billion dollar multinational business if he slept almost half a day. Likewise with his academic achievements. To achieve what he did takes drive, energy, stamina, and a willingness to work 24/7 at the expense of all else.

He either grew out of it, got over it, or exaggerated it, but no way was he constantly fatigued and sleeping 10 hrs a day as an adult. He simply would never have succeeded in the business world if that were true.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I agree Coyote, common sense tells you that a sluggish snail didn't build a billion dollar empire. And, yes Lilibet we're not all over the hill, ready to roll down it into an abyss by the seventh decade. Aging like everything else varies. I agree that a double homicide is possible but some camera even a neighbours should have detected someone going in or leaving the house or walking or driving down the street. I'd find it hard to believe that there's no cameras pointed at the street in that neighbourhood unless there's a tunnel into the sewer system from the Sherman house. Barry was capable of killing himself but the vivacious Honey wasn't. She didn't have the personality for it.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...seduce-3-immortalize/article1352843/?page=all
[h=1]HOW CHARITIES COURT THE RICH 1. IDENTIFY2. SEDUCE 3. IMMORTALIZE[/h]
Kelly Grant
Published June 14, 2008 Updated March 27, 2017

BARRY SHERMAN
$75-MILLION

CAROL SEIDMAN, FUNDRAISING GURU FOR THE UNITED JEWISH APPEAL'S TOMORROW CAMPAIGN, BROUGHT IN THIS DONATION FOR THE SHERMAN CAMPUS COMMUNITY CENTRE
They're here to learn how to track rare prey worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Mostly women in pantsuits with laminated name tags dangling from their necks and folders wedged under their arms, they're professional fundraisers from non-profit groups of all sizes.

So many of them have crammed into a windowless room at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, organizers have had to fetch extra chairs for the back and centre aisles.

There's good reason for the full house. Standing at the front of the room are fundraising gurus Carol Seidman and Nicholas Offord. They're about to divulge the secrets of persuading the rich to cut mammoth cheques for charity.

"Carol and I share one big passion," Mr. Offord begins, "big-game hunting."

The audience titters at the joke. Mr. Offord continues, doling out pearls of wisdom he gathered as fundraiser-in-chief for McGill University and the Mount Sinai Hospital Foundation. Among his tips: Set your sights on donors with a net worth of at least $100-million; dispense with the idea that selling the naming rights to a building is "gauche"; carefully price your naming rights ("Just being on University Avenue adds $5-million to the value of a naming right, in my view").
In Canada, the centre of this world is Toronto. Thanks to a confluence of wealth (seven of Canada's 20 richest people live in this city; another two live nearby in Waterloo) and need (the city boasts three universities, 22 hospitals and six major cultural institutions, most of which perpetually solicit gifts from the affluent), Toronto has led an impressive increase in the size of mega-gifts over the past five years, according to Ketchum Canada Inc., a consulting firm that tracks trends in philanthropy.

Barry Sherman of Apotex Inc. (net worth: $3.61-billion) and his wife, Honey, are members of what Ms. Seidman calls her group of 12 - a dozen dedicated volunteers who use their contacts to reel in fresh donors and persuade those who have already given to open their wallets again.

"We just talk to them and explain the facts. Simple as that," Mr. Sherman says. "We have a duty to do it. I always say, 'Look, we benefit now from all the institutions built for us, not by ourselves, but by generations before us.' "

The Shermans are low-maintenance donors. They have given $75-million to the Tomorrow Campaign, no strings attached
The North York campus, located on Bathurst Street north of Sheppard Avenue, will be renamed in their honour. The UJA had to persuade them to accept naming rights. "The last people in the world that wanted anything named after them were the Shermans," Ms. Seidman says. "We had to do a lot of arm-twisting.
"
rbbm.

I agree Coyote, common sense tells you that a sluggish snail didn't build a billion dollar empire. And, yes Lilibet we're not all over the hill, ready to roll down it into an abyss by the seventh decade. Aging like everything else varies. I agree that a double homicide is possible but some camera even a neighbours should have detected someone going in or leaving the house or walking or driving down the street. I'd find it hard to believe that there's no cameras pointed at the street in that neighbourhood unless there's a tunnel into the sewer system from the Sherman house. Barry was capable of killing himself but the vivacious Honey wasn't. She didn't have the personality for it.
Welcome to Websleuths !

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I agree with the post that said, likely the first call of it being a murder-suicide is correct and that all this sewer business etc is going through the mechanics of the investigation to assure everyone that nothing was overlooked. If the police thought it was a double homicide there would be some effort to look for a suspect and at least a feasible way the house was entered and exited. Surely some neighbours have cameras pointed at the street. Age doesn't necessarily indicate anything eg Barry was 75 so unable to physically commandeer something like this. People age very differently. Some are 'old' as in worn out at 55 while others are physically and mentally in good shape at 75 or older. :scared:

The sewer business is exactly one of the reasons I don't think this is murder/suicide. I have never heard of LE going to this extent on a case to look for something. I think this says it all.

The sewer business is exactly one of the reasons I don't think this is murder/suicide. I have never heard of LE going to this extent on a case to look for something. I think this says it all.

They check for weapons in sewers routinely

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by andreww

I find it odd how frugal he was. Verging on mental illness if you ask me.

There is nothing frugal about driving a car in to the ground. Breakdowns and repairs become frequent, costing valuable time. Time is money, and when you are as wealthy as Sherman, what does half a day in a repair shop cost you?

What's that saying.. something like.. "if you're rich, you're eccentric; if you're poor, you're just plain crazy".

Thank you! I have a family member that did this. I always felt something was "off" about that.
It makes no sense!
It also can put their loved ones lives in danger, because this "quirky" car you bought for such a great "deal" is a hunk of junk likely to seize up in the interstate!
[emoji848]
MOO

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yes, but with the family conducting their own investigation, presumably complete with private investigators and PR people, LE doesn't want to be accused of tunnel vision, negligence, or incompetence.

A week later they finally do a search? It took that long to decide they might not have a murder weapon or disguise in their possession? They don't have any video to narrow down which sewers to search?

It seems more about countering conspiracy theories later. "No, we even searched the sewers and there was nothing."

They wouldn't want a private investigator to locate a mysterious glove in the sewer two months from now.

I think the search of the sewers means they are looking for something specific. IMO there is a piece of the puzzle missing from the house. That is a place someone would dispose of evidence and if they have all the evidence needed to draw a conclusion as to what took place in the house there would be nothing to look for.

It's possible Barry Ieft the house to dispose of something too, if he killed Honey.

I think this was a hit with bungled staging however, and I think the killer was lying in wait inside the house, having already taken two belts from bedroom closets. If the police could see Honey's death wasn't a suicide there was some indication of her being killed or injured in the house and it makes no sense for Barry to overlook that. I think the hit man would have used ligature devices found from inside the house, otherwise it's not going to look like suicides.

IMO.

BBM

I’m not replying to be argumentative, but to counter the oft-repeated stereotype that a 75 year old man is automatically too old and tired to do something this physical. We honestly don’t know what kind of shape Barry was in. He doesn’t look like an athlete, but he doesn’t look infirm either. Aging is very individual. Some 60 year olds are “old” and some 85 year olds are amazingly fit. I know of a 100 year old who only recently gave up playing tennis! A friend golfed into his 90’s. My 73 year old husband rides his electric bike or walks all over our town. Unless we know for sure that Barry had issues preventing physical activity, we really can’t say what he could or couldn’t do.
Stepping off my soap box...very carefully so I don’t fall and break my hip. :D
I saw this mention of his physical condition

Like the family, most friends of the Shermans dismiss the notion of murder-suicide. Murray Rubin, one of those family friends, told the Post Barry’s strength was intellectual, not physical.
“He used to belong to my tennis club. It was a joke,” said Rubin. “He couldn’t move around. He moved around with his brain. … He tried. He isn’t athletic physically at all.
“That’s why when they said it was a murder-suicide, it’s so impossible. It’s like when a duck and a pussycat get together in the same cage and the pussycat dies, you say the duck killed the pussycat. He didn’t have the physical strength to do it or the inclination. He was a very gentle person.”

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada...ter-violent-deaths-of-barry-and-honey-sherman

This link contains many Getty images from:

http://www.gettyimages.ca/photos/ba...ography&phrase=barry sherman&sort=mostpopular

• the funeral, including our PM
  • Conference Centre,
  • demolition at the new-to-be-built Sherman's house
  • outside the Sherman's house (50 Old Colony Rd.)
  • forensics gathering evidence from outside the house,
  • gathering evidence from inside one of the vehicles (the one parked at the top of the ramp)
  • Also images of a few houses from the surrounding area,
  • and BS pictures at Apotex

Outstanding photos here. Very helpful. Thank-you, Hazel.

Yes, but how many times have you heard glowing reviews of people from those close to them that were completely biased and out to lunch? Denial?

The gang member that was shot who was the most giving person in the world? The killer that would never have done anything like that? The overdose victim that would never, ever take drugs willingly?

I'd put more stock in someone close to them discussing a diagnosis of a spinal issue or major surgery that prevented him from walking upright, rather than a cartoon character comparison between a duck and a cat.

The very comparison between the duck and cat is a strong indicator of the person grasping at straws to maintain their narrative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member