PA PA - Philadelphia, Delaware River near Fort Mifflin Pier, WhtMale 40-50, UP16626, Apr'57

I wonder if Philadelphia PD thought these two cases were related back then? I realize that they were taking statements from possible witnesses about a man seen with the boy in the box, but were they making the connection or just gathering more info? I totally agree that two bodies found in the same county a couple months apart is way too much coincidence to ignore.

I agree with madamx on the scar tissue - seems like something you would remember, even if the scarring wasn't extreme. I feel like anything like that on the face is something that gets committed to memory, just because it's unique.

Also, one of the informants (the post is from page 2 of this thread) said the man was "sloppily dressed", but he was found in a suit.. it's possible that he wore the suit on purpose if he was planning to commit suicide, that way he would be found in his "Sunday best". Of course, it's also possible that he was just dressed casually when the informant saw him, but looking a little deeper, this is also a possibility.

Last thing - I wonder why he wasn't entered into NAMUS until May of this year? That's a whole 60 years that almost no one knew of his existence. Really sad.

It might not be in Namus because that's when somebody found a record of it, or received an inquiry, or something.

As for "sloppily dressed," it is entirely possible to be extremely sloppy in a suit. For instance, Steve Bannon.

It might not be in Namus because that's when somebody found a record of it, or received an inquiry, or something.

As for "sloppily dressed," it is entirely possible to be extremely sloppy in a suit. For instance, Steve Bannon.
Good points. Unfortunately cases do get lost in the shuffle sometimes. And a person can look sloppy overall in any clothing. Thanks [emoji4]

Hopefully they will have more information out on him soon.

I'm please just bumping up this poor man to help get him Identified.It's very sad.It's been a long time for him.

I tried to turn this in to see if this Unidentified man was related to the boy in the box found in 1957 also in Philaelphia.I never heard anything back.Please let me know if anyone has heard if they looked into this.

He could be the father of "The Boy in The Box" and he felt regret over killing his son so he killed himself?. This is just a theory. :thinking:

I was wondering, could this unidentified man be the father of the boy in the box??? I had another theory, but maybe I'm wrong. What if this unidentified man killed the boy and then killed himself?????

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
It seems like I'm not the only person who came to that theory.

Not to burst anyone's bubble but it is HIGHLY doubtful that this unknown gent has anything to do with the Boy in the Box.

1. On the topic that they were found in the same county. Counties in PA, NJ and most of the other eastern states are not small and neatly drawn counties such as those found in other parts of the country, particularly in the south. Counties in PA tend to be VAST geographic regions, it could easily take you a couple of hours just to traverse some counties in PA. The fact that they were in the same county really doesn't mean anything since they were found quite a distance apart in completely different areas.

2. The Boy in the Box was found approximately 1/8th-1/4 of a mile from the intersection of Susquehanna Rd and Pine Rd in the Fox Chase section of Philadelphia. Our unknown was found at the Fort Mifflin Pier on the Delaware River. That is a distance of approx 23 miles on completely different sides of Philadelphia County.

3. Just a word of advice to anyone who considers contacting the Philadelphia Police or the Philly ME's office regarding a connection between this man and the Boy in the Box, they more than likely will not contact you back. Philly is not going to exhume this man to get a DNA sample unless there is compelling factual evidence of a possible connection between him and the boy in the box. Philly is under a tight budget crunch these days and it's impossible to get them to even plow and salt the streets let alone exhume a body for DNA testing based on nothing more than a hunch.

This is so sad.I have not heard a lot on this poor man.Has anyone heard any updates on him.

I am still not ruling out this unidentified man and the boy in the box are related some how because of how close they were found apart in the same county.They need to get DNA on this poor man whether he is related to the boy in the box or not for him.He needs to be Identified too.This makes me very sad for him.I did turn in someone else I thought this man can be also.I have heard nothing back from anyone so far.He fits this John Does NAMUS profile.Not the newspaper article description.

Pietro "Pete" Taormina
Missing since December 1, 1956 from Norristown, Montgomery County

Vital Statistics
Date of Birth: April 26, 1903
Age at Time of Disappearance: 53
Estimated Height: 5'3" to 5'6"

Estimated Weight: 140 lbs
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
AKA: Peter Taormina, Pete

Medical: had been diagnosed with diabetes
Known Clothing at Time of Disappearance: blue topcoat, maroon shirt, black shoes.

I pray he is Identified soon.I feel very sad for him.He did not seem to get a lot of attention.

I hope they are looking into him and these possible leads.Does anyone know or can find out which Unidentified Does they are exhuming?If someone finds out please let me know ok? I have a facebook page for Unidentified man found in April 1957 in FORT Mifflin.I wanted them to get DNA on him to check with a possible relation to The boy in the box.If they are not related to each other.he also might be Pete Taormina missing in 1956 from Philadelphia.I also asked for them to check both of those leads with John Doe Fort Mifflin 1957 for possible matches to him awhile ago.
New effort to unearth buried secrets of old Philadelphia crimes

Not to burst anyone's bubble but it is HIGHLY doubtful that this unknown gent has anything to do with the Boy in the Box.

1. On the topic that they were found in the same county. Counties in PA, NJ and most of the other eastern states are not small and neatly drawn counties such as those found in other parts of the country, particularly in the south. Counties in PA tend to be VAST geographic regions, it could easily take you a couple of hours just to traverse some counties in PA. The fact that they were in the same county really doesn't mean anything since they were found quite a distance apart in completely different areas.

2. The Boy in the Box was found approximately 1/8th-1/4 of a mile from the intersection of Susquehanna Rd and Pine Rd in the Fox Chase section of Philadelphia. Our unknown was found at the Fort Mifflin Pier on the Delaware River. That is a distance of approx 23 miles on completely different sides of Philadelphia County.

3. Just a word of advice to anyone who considers contacting the Philadelphia Police or the Philly ME's office regarding a connection between this man and the Boy in the Box, they more than likely will not contact you back. Philly is not going to exhume this man to get a DNA sample unless there is compelling factual evidence of a possible connection between him and the boy in the box. Philly is under a tight budget crunch these days and it's impossible to get them to even plow and salt the streets let alone exhume a body for DNA testing based on nothing more than a hunch.

Agree 100% with your entire post.

Fox Chase up there is nowhere near Fort Mifflin. Plus just thinking why would the poor man at Fort Mifflin have carried around that box if he took a bus? Maybe found it? Anything is possible.

Fort Mifflin is close to South Philly so I was thinking mob related albeit no mobster would be sloppy. Plus if not giving tours it's isolated except for ghost hunters which I'm guessing back then wasn't a huge deal.

Exhuming this guy? I'm sorry Ms. Suzanne. I so admire and am touched by your care and concern. However, it took long enough to get that little boy a headstone. Mr. Weinstein never, ever, ever forgot getting that call and searched his entire life along with other Police/Detectives for who killed that boy.

This City is caving as it is without exhuming bodies, but good lookout. Your human kindness radiates.

They Apparently cannot find this poor mans remains to exhume him and they do not think it is a priority to do so. If anyone finds out more on this please let us know. That is very sad and very wrong. I pray they are trying to find out where he is located. Someone must care what happened to him and is still looking for him.

I agree that this man and the boy in the box aren't related. Unless we get a facial recon or DNA, this man isn't any more likely to be his father than any other man in the city. I really hope they can eventually find his body, though. He definitely needs closure no matter what.

That being said, the scars on his face and hands stood out to me. The way they're described makes me think they're probably burns, maybe from an explosion. I'm not sure how tight patient confidentiality was in the '50s but I wonder if there's medical records of anyone in the area being treated for injuries that could result in scars like the ones he has?
Depending on how severe his scars were, he could have struggled to fit in or could have committed suicide due to being unable to cope with looking 'different'- just a theory, but it's what came to mind. He kind of reminds me of "Jigsaw Doe" in Kentucky, who also had severe facial injuries and committed suicide.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back