Found Deceased CA - Blaze Bernstein, 19, Lake Forest, 2 Jan 2018 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve got to find the link somewhere that said the friend/driver tried to text BB but didn’t hear back and so left the park. I’d read it on the old thread, and will search for it once it’s back up. Am I mistaken that that was said or have i just gotten mixed up with it all?

According to The Orange County Register, Blaze “sent a text message at 9:30 p.m. Tuesday with his family’s address so a high school friend could pick him up and take him to the park to meet the third person.” Bernstein walked into the park alone. “Bernstein’s friend eventually began sending text messages to him when he didn’t return, but did not hear back from him… The friend left and then returned at 4 a.m. to look for Bernstein again,” reported The Register.

https://heavy.com/news/2018/01/blaze-bernstein-missing-found-facebook-photos-pennsylvania/

I know it isn't the original article but this one quotes it stating it was in an OC Register article. Is that the quote you were looking for?

ETA: Here is the link to the Register article https://www.ocregister.com/2018/01/...19-year-old-student-blake-bernstein-vanished/

Thank you so much for the photos SoCalRes! Now I really wonder how the friend would know that Blaze went into Whiting Ranch Park? He could have gone anywhere!

Hi everyone,

As a current Penn undergraduate, I thought that there were some questions that were posed in the old thread that I would be able to answer regarding administrative policies.

First, Penn would not disclose if a student was on a leave of absence to outside parties. As well, to the claim that Blaze had taken a six-month leave of absence, that duration of leave is usually very rare and reserved for professional development or family issues. Penn administration pushes most students seeking leave for medical or psychological reasons to leave for at least two semesters, primarily in response to the recent uptick in student suicides.

Second, one item that I found very interesting about Blaze's student records is that he was initially described as a student in the Vagelos program at Penn, which is a very prestigious program in molecular science/biochemistry, and is now listed as a psychology major on a pre-med track. While these programs do have some attrition, I think that switching majors might be indicative of some stress that could have caused him to take an unannounced leave before the semester restarted.

<modsnip>

Hi 001! Welcome to WS and thank you for sharing this information. Do you think Blaze was/is under a lot of stress?

Regarding the medication, it was stated that he needed it to "function". <modsnip>

I posted this on the original thread right before it was closed.

RSBM

Thank you so much for the information, photos and map! Is it even possible to see the beginning of the trail he was supposedly on while next to the bathroom at night? Seems pretty far.

I live in the area and the helicopters are back up. Not sure if it’s related but it’s the same area.

Based on the SAR search of the dogs, not finding Blaze's scent anywhere in the park, I honestly do not believe he was ever there.

Buddy friend has some major explaining to do, IMO. I hope LE was able to get a search warrant for Buddy friend's phone. It would be interesting if his GPS was turned off around the same time Blaze's was.

Since the search has been called off for the park, I sincerely hope LE has an idea of a secondary place to look.

In the meantime, I am still waiting for positive ID on the burned out car victim in Angeles Forest. I'd like to know it's NOT Blaze.

https://heavy.com/news/2018/01/blaze-bernstein-missing-found-facebook-photos-pennsylvania/

I know it isn't the original article but this one quotes it stating it was in an OC Register article. Is that the quote you were looking for?

ETA: Here is the link to the Register article https://www.ocregister.com/2018/01/...19-year-old-student-blake-bernstein-vanished/

yes thanks! So, if this is true then I&#8217;m sure it has been backed up by OCSD by phone tracking and all that, and that is why the search was so many days at the park. It costs money to do searches, I don&#8217;t think they would have followed that lead so intensively if there wasn&#8217;t some truth to it. I still think there&#8217;s a possibility he was at that park. I could be wrong and this is all just my opinion and thoughts

Also a “patrol check” at Borego Library” which is by the park

On a side note, Kobe Bryant just posted the sheriffs missing person flyer of BB on his fb page, he has 20 million plus followers!
(Happy he's getting the word out,if only all missing persons got this type of exposure)

What's really cool...ANYONE can message a celebrity (unless they have their messaging turned off) with a copy of ANY missing persons poster and ask that celeb to share it!
The amount of exposure any case gets is somewhat dependent on friends/loved ones/sleuthers, etc. willingness to really work the case by spreading the message far and wide.
One example is the Michael Chambers case...many of us got very active in contacting news shows, podcasts, missing persons pages, etc. and even nationwide firefighters pages, as well as retired firefighter pages and asked them to share MC's poster.
I've seen 'share campaigns' where someone has messaged a missing person's favorite singer/band and asked for a share to help out the missing fan.
Danielle Stislicki's family and friends have done an incredible job of advocating for the return of their beloved daughter. Created bracelets, started a painted rock campaign, have get togethers where they paint car windows with Dani's hashtag and info. They have what seems a close relationship with a certain reporter who they keep in the loop and who keeps us in the loop. Sadly, there are SO many missing persons that those with 'squeaky wheel' supporters get the most attention.
Be creative and reach out.

There isn't a lot some of us can do from miles and miles away, but some of us can dedicate some time to sit down with ANY missing persons case and spread the word.

RSBM

Thank you so much for the information, photos and map! Is it even possible to see the beginning of the trail he was supposedly on while next to the bathroom at night? Seems pretty far.

No, it is highly unlikely you could see anyone at the far end of the park from the parking lot. Especially someone wearing dark colored clothing at night.

Based on the SAR search of the dogs, not finding Blaze's scent anywhere in the park, I honestly do not believe he was ever there.

Buddy friend has some major explaining to do, IMO. I hope LE was able to get a search warrant for Buddy friend's phone. It would be interesting if his GPS was turned off around the same time Blaze's was.

Since the search has been called off for the park, I sincerely hope LE has an idea of a secondary place to look.

In the meantime, I am still waiting for positive ID on the burned out car victim in Angeles Forest. I'd like to know it's NOT Blaze.

I think that unless the body is identified as Blaze tomorrow, it is exceedingly unlikely. The turnaround on identifying burned bodies from dental records is only a few days, and given the vast resources of the OCSD and the significant media attention given to this case, I believe they already have internally answered that question by now.

Hi 001! Welcome to WS and thank you for sharing this information. Do you think Blaze was/is under a lot of stress?

Regarding the medication, it was stated that he needed it to "function". The medication you describe would not be describe like that I would presume?

Thanks for the welcome. I can't speculate on Blaze's stress level considering that I didn't intimately know him, but I think in general, Penn students operate with a high degree of stress and that campus culture increases it while providing few outlets for it. I remember an article about a Columbia student who vanished for two weeks only to be found when she reactivated her credit cards, having broken down due to the pressure of final exams. She was described as a model student with a good family just like Blaze.

Thank you so much for the photos SoCalRes! Now I really wonder how the friend would know that Blaze went into Whiting Ranch Park? He could have gone anywhere!

He could have been walking in that direction, but no, I wouldn't have assumed he walked into Whiting Ranch just because he was walking in that direction. I would have assumed the shopping center before Whiting Ranch.

yes thanks! So, if this is true then I&#8217;m sure it has been backed up by OCSD by phone tracking and all that, and that is why the search was so many days at the park. It costs money to do searches, I don&#8217;t think they would have followed that lead so intensively if there wasn&#8217;t some truth to it. I still think there&#8217;s a possibility he was at that park. I could be wrong and this is all just my opinion and thoughts

Good point. Does anyone know whether a cell phone's location can be retrieved from the info associated with a text? If so, LE could have verified whether and when the borrowed phone Blaze was using was in the park as well as (with permission) whether and when the phone of the friend who drove him was in the park.

He could have been walking in that direction, but no, I wouldn't have assumed he walked into Whiting Ranch just because he was walking in that direction. I would have assumed the shopping center before Whiting Ranch.

Thank you. I have been wondering that for a few days now based on the map of that area. I wonder why it was assumed he was heading into Whiting Ranch just from the direction he was traveling, unless they have information from his phone putting him there.

"Patrol check" is pretty generic. Typically it means someone called and asked the police to go check the area out. E.g. because they saw something that didn't look right, or they are on vacation and want their home checked on. I don't think we can read anything into that call classification. It could mean almost anything.

We don’t know if it’s related but it’s in the same area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member