Found Deceased CA - Blaze Bernstein, 19, Lake Forest, 2 Jan 2018 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Though I have no direct knowledge of Blaze's parents, I would not be surprised if their doctor has them under fairly heavy sedation with anti-anxiety medication at this time. In fact, I tend to believe that may be more likely than not.

I worked on an adult in-patient, locked psychiatric unit of a regular hospital for the last fifteen years of my nursing career. Was Charge Nurse for the last seven.

We often had people admitted who had lost children and were understandably, having great difficulty coping. Their doctors kept them under heavy sedation with anti-anxiety meds until they had a better grasp on their tragic situations.

The medication makes them move and process conversation much more slowly.

I remember one mother particularly. Her 11 y/o daughter went out for a bike ride on their quiet suburban street. When she didn't come home the mother went searching. She didn't have to go very far before she found her a few houses down. Dead, next to her bike, a victim of hit and run.

We kept the mother under very heavy sedation. She was the first one I thought of when I saw Blaze's mother in the videos.

I could be wrong of course but I know myself, I would not cope well. I believe his parents are going through the worst nightmare possible. People under extreme stress do not react as they normally do.

I myself, am giving them a whole lot of leeway before I do any judging of whether their reactions are what I call appropriate or not...

JMO

I agree, she looks medicated, with good reason.

I get a feeling he is suffering from bipolar. People with this condition can be exceptionally brilliant. Him cooking dinner and shopping before he left indicates he was manic which can lead to an increase in risk taking behavior. They are also at an increased risk for suicide and can go days without sleeping.

I get the feeling that the parents have kept a close eye on him for most of his life and guided him at every turn to negate some of the effects of this mental illness.

Little confused here. He went to the park on the 2nd near 11:00PM. Parents said that they did not know he was missing until the mom went to the dentist appointment on the 3rd and he did not show up. That would have been AFTER the 5AM call that the dad said he received on the 3rd of someone saying he was spotted.

:yeahthat:

I'm curious now, too. So the father has Blaze's phone and Blaze had a relative's phone. Maybe Blaze's phone is now repaired?

It's also strange that father would know how to access Blaze's phone. I find it hard to believe that a 19-yr-old was cool with his parents having access to his phone. Is that how they were able to access his SM accounts?

I personally don't find it strange that his father knows how to access his phone. My son is a few years younger than BB, but he got a new iPhone for Christmas, and when we sat down to set it up I made a point of writing down both his passcode to unlock the phone and his iCloud username and password. We even had a discussion about how I have no intent to snoop on him but I need this information just in case. I have this information for my younger teen's phone as well.

Wonder if his scent has been tracked leaving the family home?

Interesting info from the mom:

Over the weekend, she found a note on his computer describing how important it was to be an optimist. Blaze, she said, managed his stress with school by cooking and writing.

BBM - managed his stress with school and cooking. This is really specific as if he has been working on ways to handle his stress. Maybe this is why he left school on leave....things pop up at this age with large amounts of stress.

Just guessing here, but maybe it is lazy reporting and it's actually meant to say...
"A news source reported that Bernstein's father said he received two independent calls notifying him of a potential sighting of Bernstein on a nearby highway on Jan. 3 at around 5 a.m."

Ah-ha-moment

:tyou:

Wonder if his scent has been tracked leaving the family home?

I would hope they checked, anyone can move a phone for tracking purposes.

I questioned this earlier, especially when the father was inviting friends and family to stop by the house in the early days Blaze went missing. I believe he said he had between 10-15 people at the house.

why didn’t he go to the house and check on him when he wasn’t responding to texts, etc?

Because I doubt many young adults would feel comfortable knocking on a stranger's door in the middle of the night. Especially if they were going to have to say something like, "Hey, I knew your son in HS and he asked me to give him a ride to the park a few hours ago so he could meet a Grindr hookup. Now he isn't responding to my texts and I am worried."

Little confused here. He went to the park on the 2nd near 11:00PM. Parents said that they did not know he was missing until the mom went to the dentist appointment on the 3rd and he did not show up. That would have been AFTER the 5AM call that the dad said he received on the 3rd of someone saying he was spotted.

Thanks for pointing that out!

The father said that when his son failed to show for a dental appointment (Jan. 3 in the afternoon), the family became concerned and came to realize he was missing.
https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/...-Missing-Orange-County-Teenage-468211203.html

Bernstein's father said he received two independent calls on Jan. 3 at around 5 a.m. notifying him of a potential sighting of Bernstein on a nearby highway. The timeline of the tips and the location of the sightings, his father said, is consistent with where Bernstein would have been at that time.
http://www.thedp.com/article/2018/0...upenn-penn-orange-county-student-philadelphia

"If you have no information, please withhold from calling" WTF!

I'm sorry, I'm not going to go there, but the parents statements and photos to the press have been irritating to me.

Jumping off your post JerseyGirl. I'm late to the discussion, so this might have been brought up before, but this jumped out at me when I first started reading.

"Blaze's father, told ..the news ..that he hadn't noticed anything was amiss with his son, who he said "loves cooking." ... He said his son is a sophomore planning to declare a major in psychology with a minor in chemistry and "pursuing it with a pre-med focus." from this article: https://patch.com/california/lakeforest-ca/missing-lake-forest-have-you-seen-blaze-bernstein

Sounds to me that Blaze wants to be a chef or a writer, but his parents want him to be a doctor. Praying that Blaze just chose to 'escape' for a while.

Maybe someone with more specifics can chime in here but as far as I understand it even though Blaze is technically an adult due to his age and the circumstances surrounding his disappearance LE will still investigate it as if he is a minor child. In fact, LE has already stated that they have 6 homicide detectives still combing through evidence.

<modsnip>

I'd also like to comment on the criticisms being lobbed at Blaze's parents about their behaviors, pictures, etc. We can all sit here and say what we THINK we would do in a situation like this and how we would act but the fact of the matter is this: we don't know what our reactions would be. Different people process and handle things differently. When my brother was murdered my parents kept up a very strong facade when they faced the public, they even maintained their composure around me and my surviving brothers. Privately however, they let their emotions loose. They yelled and screamed and cried. I didn't know they did that until years later when I was an adult and I was speaking to my mother about that dark time and she told me how her and dad felt they needed to show strength not only to us kids but to the larger community. Ultimately how they chose to handle that entire situation was informed by their own upbringing where they were taught that you don't wear your emotions on your sleeve, you don't let other people know what you're thinking or feeling, you show confidence and control when facing adversity but let your guard down when in private, among the people who matter, your family.

<modsnip>

THANK YOU DAnthrplgist for this intelligent and compassionate post <modsnip> I have enjoyed reading your posts and find them extremely helpful and informative

I know snap chat chat conversations aren’t “saved” like text messages but I bet they are recoverable from snap chat ? An article said he was snap chatting before exiting the car. May be nothing ... but may be to the person he met in the park. Does this friend that waited in the car not know who he was meeting or anything ? Seems odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basketball legend Kobe Bryant and Hollywood actors Jeremy Piven and Mayim Bialik are among those posting on Facebook and Twitter to help in the hunt for missing 19-year-old college student Blaze Bernstein.

Also posting were retired basketball star Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and “The Real Housewives of Orange County” cast members Vicki Gunvalson and Tamra Judge.

“The investigation is still very active,” Braun said Tuesday (OC Sheriff spokeswoman). “This is absolutely not a typical missing person case.” She declined to elaborate.

Also, Orange County Supervisor Todd Spitzer on Tuesday offered a $1,000 reward for information leading to Bernstein’s safe return.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01...lebrities-help-in-search-for-blaze-bernstein/

I finally read the animal among us, have you guys read it? Wow incredibly heavy

A news source reported that Bernstein's father said he received two independent calls on Jan. 3 at around 5 a.m. notifying him of a potential sighting of Bernstein on a nearby highway. http://www.thedp.com/article/2018/0...upenn-penn-orange-county-student-philadelphia Is there another account of when he was noticed missing?
I wonder if that's just another example of poor reporting. I would expect it to say "Bernstein's father said he received two independent calls notifying him of a potential sighting of Bernstein on a nearby highway on Jan. 3 at around 5 a.m."

I agree, she looks medicated, with good reason.

I get a feeling he is suffering from bipolar. People with this condition can be exceptionally brilliant. Him cooking dinner and shopping before he left indicates he was manic which can lead to an increase in risk taking behavior. They are also at an increased risk for suicide and can go days without sleeping.

I get the feeling that the parents have kept a close eye on him for most of his life and guided him at every turn to negate some of the effects of this mental illness.

Could be undiagnosed - The average age of onset of bipolar disorder is early 20's. He's led a sheltered life, but that doesn't mean his parents are aware of a mental illness.

A news source reported that Bernstein's father said he received two independent calls on Jan. 3 at around 5 a.m. notifying him of a potential sighting of Bernstein on a nearby highway. http://www.thedp.com/article/2018/0...upenn-penn-orange-county-student-philadelphia Is there another account of when he was noticed missing?
I wonder if that's just another example of poor reporting. I would expect it to say "Bernstein's father said he received two independent calls notifying him of a potential sighting of Bernstein on a nearby highway on Jan. 3 at around 5 a.m."
Ha! Grapey, I didn't see that you had already made this distinction before I did.
Just guessing here, but maybe it is lazy reporting and it's actually meant to say...
"A news source reported that Bernstein's father said he received two independent calls notifying him of a potential sighting of Bernstein on a nearby highway on Jan. 3 at around 5 a.m."

There are other mental illnesses that have an onset in the early 20s, schizophrenia as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JerseyLizard