NC NC - Asha Degree, 9, Shelby, 14 Feb 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's crossed my mind a few times the possibility that Asha could have gotten lost in the woods and succumbed to the elements. Maybe - for whatever reason - she did decide to leave on her own and this was the result.

I suppose that wouldn't account for her back pack being left in trash bags and buried, though... then again, maybe someone stumbled across it and with her name and number being included inside, realized whose it was and didn't want to possibly be implicated in the crime so they decided to get rid of it.

fwiw
Of all the cases here, for some inexplicable reason- right from the get go, i had the sense that Asha was still alive.
Complete speculation, imo.

Another interesting thing is the direction she was going in was the same route her bus took (even though her school was in the other direction, but she'd be used to the way the bus went). And she packed her basketball uniform. Just lost a basketball game, heading in route her bus takes to school...hmm Maybe she thought she could practice in the school gym after hours? Maybe they should check with school employees from that time. Maybe one is now a registered sex offender.

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

I think there is a possibility the motorist were incorrect about their sighting. I try not to look at every piece of evidence as fact. I believe she likely left on her own. I think maybe she went to a "friends" house nearby, maybe their was an invitation for her to come anytime. This person could of been grooming her for a long period of time. The police have said they believe that someone they have already spoke to knows more then what they are admitting to....so that tells me they have a suspect/s. There has been a sudden increase in articles about Asha, where the police are acting very confident and optimistic, almost like they have more info or they want the suspect to feel the pressure. I sincerely hope the people they believe are not telling the whole truth are not her family...that would be awful.
I have faith this case is going to be solved soon.

I think there is a possibility the motorist were incorrect about their sighting. I try not to look at every piece of evidence as fact. I believe she likely left on her own. I think maybe she went to a "friends" house nearby, maybe their was an invitation for her to come anytime. This person could of been grooming her for a long period of time. The police have said they believe that someone they have already spoke to knows more then what they are admitting to....so that tells me they have a suspect/s. There has been a sudden increase in articles about Asha, where the police are acting very confident and optimistic, almost like they have more info or they want the suspect to feel the pressure. I sincerely hope the people they believe are not telling the whole truth are not her family...that would be awful.
I have faith this case is going to be solved soon.
False sightings happen all the time. I am of the belief the father had something to do with her disappearance/probable death. Does any one know if he and/or other family members took polygraphs? I know there not admissible in court but I just think it's very unlikely she ventured out on her own.

Sent from my Studio XL 2 using Tapatalk

Asha's father got home from work at approximately 12:30 a.m. on 2/14. There are two reports of what happened next.

1. He watched TV and went to bed at 2:30.
2. He went back out to pick up candy and then went to bed at 2:30.

Scenario #2 just doesn't sit right with me...

False sightings happen all the time. I am of the belief the father had something to do with her disappearance/probable death. Does any one know if he and/or other family members took polygraphs? I know there not admissible in court but I just think it's very unlikely she ventured out on her own.

From the accounts I read, her father passed a poly. I can't find any info on whether or not her mother took one.

Her family was cleared very early on in this investigation, which to me means a lot since usually in similar situations the parents have the finger pointed at them and they are consistently hassled by media/investigators.

She had visited family in the days following up to her disappearance. I always wondered if it were an adult cousin's boyfriend or someone else close to the family that would be low on the radar. She also had family that lived down the street.

She also had a basketball game days before. A coach, school employee, or team mates parent?

fwiw
Of all the cases here, for some inexplicable reason- right from the get go, i had the sense that Asha was still alive.
Complete speculation, imo.

May I ask why? Gut feeling or is there evidence to make you think so?

False sightings happen all the time. I am of the belief the father had something to do with her disappearance/probable death. Does any one know if he and/or other family members took polygraphs? I know there not admissible in court but I just think it's very unlikely she ventured out on her own

There's always the possibility of a mistaken sighting but I personally feel like her stuff being found 600 feet away from where and was last seen would be a big coincidence.

Asha's father got home from work at approximately 12:30 a.m. on 2/14. There are two reports of what happened next.

1. He watched TV and went to bed at 2:30.
2. He went back out to pick up candy and then went to bed at 2:30.

Scenario #2 just doesn't sit right with me...
To be fair, it was his anniversary and Valentine's day and they would be celebrating later on. And when you work a night shift I could see you doing some things at odd hours. Maybe he wanted to surprise Iquilla?

There's always the possibility of a mistaken sighting but I personally feel like her stuff being found 600 feet away from where and was last seen would be a big coincidence.
These were planted, not left by the child in my opinion.

IMO I always questioned the validity of the shed items being Asha's.
Candy wrappers and a Mickey Mouse hair bow aren't super rare or uncommon things. It would be different if it was a super special item to Asha or if it had her name on it. From what I got from these items was a grieving parents recollection, like how Nick Barclay's family believed a 20-something con-man was their young teenage son even though he was foreign and had a different hair and eye color then Nick. Any piece of evidence gives a grieving parent hope.

I also wonder about the validity of the highway sightings and wonder how they are classified as being confirmed. When I first starting looking into this case I read that they thought they saw a teenager who looked young. And was white clothing missing from Asha's room? And did the witnesses see them carrying a book bag?

To be fair, it was his anniversary and Valentine's day and they would be celebrating later on. And when you work a night shift I could see you doing some things at odd hours. Maybe he wanted to surprise Iquilla?
I have worked 3-11 and 11-7 over 20 years and it takes me a while to wind down when I come home. I know people are different, but it seems the father was the last to see her. I do believe Asha was killed shortly after she went missing. But ran away without a jacket and locked the front door. Not likely. Also what really bothers me how could someone in the house not hear this child up/leave? Of all the missing cases I follow this one mystifies me. So young and beautiful and it seems to me police chalked her up to runaway status to quickly.

In my reading I've seen in an interview with Iquilla that when the K-9 dogs came to try and catch Asha's scent all they could find was Iquilla's. If search dogs supposedly catch scent better when the air is wet (and it was raining that night) then why couldn't they find her scent?

Did someone pick her up right outside of her house?

In my reading I've seen in an interview with Iquilla that when the K-9 dogs came to try and catch Asha's scent all they could find was Iquilla's. If search dogs supposedly catch scent better when the air is wet (and it was raining that night) then why couldn't they find her scent?

Did someone pick her up right outside of her house?
Very interesting, I am usually not of the belief family was involved. But this case was categorized as runway far too a quickly. I pray I am wrong.

I'm currently working on a true crime radio show for my local station. It's hard to know what to say. Could one speculate that the parents were responsible? Yes. But if the police don't count them as POIs then is that something that should be brought up? One minute you believe this happened and the next you're convinced of the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46