CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lived this life, not ready to tell my story yet... This hurts so much, I am now 48,and just when I thought the nightmares had stopped, this happens[emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]
I cannot reply or engage right now, but I will tell you this... Google Bill Gothard, Institute for Youth Conflict. Also google Alert, A..T.I.A - The advanced training institute of America headquarters in Wheaton, Illinois or Oakbrook Illinois. Immediately , when I saw her age, and heard the sister’ s comment about how their dad used to be a pastor, I got chills.... It is very possible that her parents were in the above referenced “Ministry”, of which and several “survivors”, call a cult... I have to take an emotional timeout now, I am too invested... Just know, that I am okay, that my children are okay, and that everyday it is my goal to be the parent I needed... The doubly ironic part is, I too ran away at 17, but I had to save myself....��[emoji25][emoji25]��

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Hugs to you Iona. Come back when you're ready.

I lived this life, not ready to tell my story yet... This hurts so much, I am now 48,and just when I thought the nightmares had stopped, this happens[emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]
I cannot reply or engage right now, but I will tell you this... Google Bill Gothard, Institute for Youth Conflict. Also google Alert, A..T.I.A - The advanced training institute of America headquarters in Wheaton, Illinois or Oakbrook Illinois. Immediately , when I saw her age, and heard the sister’ s comment about how their dad used to be a pastor, I got chills.... It is very possible that her parents were in the above referenced “Ministry”, of which and several “survivors”, call a cult... I have to take an emotional timeout now, I am too invested... Just know, that I am okay, that my children are okay, and that everyday it is my goal to be the parent I needed... The doubly ironic part is, I too ran away at 17, but I had to save myself....��[emoji25][emoji25]��

:grouphug:

I would not be surprised if the mom had no medical intervention during her pregnancies, and birthed at home unassisted. I don't expect many medical records on her or the children.

JMO

Wonder if any of these children were ever vaccinated? For anything? This would make them very vulnerable. Or dental?

Bbm: It could be older girls are experienced midwives? And, nannies, and caretakers.

Thing I wonder, is even as underweight as they were, what happened when a teen's natural hormones and desires kicked in? Was this somehow surpressed in some militaristic way? Was that why they were shackled? So they wouldn't run away or act out their urges with each other? Were they punished if they did?

I mean, the parents were all about the PDA at the reenactment weddings. And was that fairytale display of love only for them?

Maybe that is the ob/gyn from only the latest baby- 2015.

The medical personnel at the hospital thought the adult offspring were children. The 29yo woman was thought to be not only a teenager, but a young teen. For all we know, those older females haven't even reached puberty. You need to reach puberty to be able to conceive.

LE has said all the children belong to the two parents. The case is horrific enough without jumping to even worse conclusions without proof. I'm taking LE's word for it....unless it changes in the future.

jmo

I also noticed some medical bills on the bankruptcy forms. Anesthesiology I believe was on one of the bills. So IT does seem atleast someone was seeking medical attention.

I cannot reply or engage right now, but I will tell you this... Google Bill Gothard, Institute for Youth Conflict. Also google Alert, A..T.I.A - The advanced training institute of America headquarters in Wheaton, Illinois or Oakbrook Illinois. Immediately , when I saw her age, and heard the sister’ s comment about how their dad used to be a pastor, I got chills.... It is very possible that her parents were in the above referenced “Ministry”, of which and several “survivors”, call a cult... I have to take an emotional timeout now, I am too invested... Just know, that I am okay, that my children are okay, and that everyday it is my goal to be the parent I needed... The doubly ironic part is, I too ran away at 17, but I had to save myself....蠟[emoji25][emoji25]蠟

Thank you for telling us a tiny bit of your experience. Your strength and resilience are incredible.

I know far too much about Gothard and ATI, Doug Phillips, and all the other scandals and information surrounding these sects and it;s mind-blowing. Worse is that t.v. networks actively promote a whitewashed view of these "quaint' families while the ugly reality - sex abuse, physical abuse, domestic violence, poverty, neglect, insanity and deprivation, often lurk beneath the surface.

I'm sorry you went through that.

Another possibility is that one or both parents, despite the regimented appearance OUTSIDE, live chaotic lives (perhaps evidenced by the messes referred to inside), at least some portion of the time INSIDE. As an example, while I don't see anything leading me to suspect alcohol or drug involvement, households afflicted by addiction frequently seesaw between deprivation (while adults are pre-occupied) and some version of bounty (making it up to the family). Might also be the case for adults with extremes of depression or particularly bipolar disorder. When adults are deep into a disease, children don't get fed. And given the overall controls (chains, locks, training children not to talk to outsiders), children are even prevented from developing "little adult" coping skills seen in some such households.

Again, for me the big thing is that I don't see much evidence of future planning in these folks.

This is VERY insightful. I see a manic-depressive cycle in the lives of this family, now that you point it out. Manic = let's go to Disneyland, let's go to Vegas and have a wedding! (three times), let's move to California, let's spend way more money than we have, and depressive = forget or refuse to feed the kids, chain them to the bed, neglect the house, hoard things.

Overlay all that with religion and psychosis and you have a giant mess.

I am sure this has been shared but just in case. Sounds very hopeful to me.
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/doctor-sh...-achieved-021212999--abc-news-topstories.html

''The adults siblings are currently in stable condition but have not been medically cleared to be discharged from the hospital. They are being kept together in the same unit in an attempt to recreate a family environment as they undergo physical, psychiatric, cognitive and medical evaluations by a team of doctors in the coming days.

Hospital staff are most concerned about the eldest child, a 29-year-old woman who Uffer mistook as about 13 to 14 years old, he said.

Kamalpour and Uffer hope that with the a good environment that includes "appropriate" nourishment, physical activity and social interaction, all of the siblings will eventually be able to live a normal life. Hospital staff are currently coordinating with adult protective services to determine how to achieve that, emphasizing that there is "no rush to push them out the door," Uffer said.''

I very much hope that their hope is realistic. But....can't help but be reminded of the older Fritzl ("dungeon") kids. The youngest, Stefan (I think he was 7 when they were finally freed) apparently was able to recover fully, but the older kids (both teenagers) were not so fortunate.

IMO it's difficult to imagine, sadly, that the oldest kids (in their 20's) will ever be fully whole or OK, given how long they were cut off from normality, physically and emotionally tormented, and forced to witness their many younger siblings being subjected to the same abuse.

Aunt on the father: "He did things that made me feel uncomfortable," she said. "If I were to get in the shower, he would come in there while I was in there and watch me, and it was like a joke. He never touched me or anything."
http://abcnews.go.com/US/aunt-13-siblings-allegedly-held-captive-years-touch/story?id=52401005

BBM
Oops! I didn't know you were in here?! Did not hear that running water! Geeze, just let me grab a couple things, wanna chat? :eek:hoh: uhmm hmmm. The Aunt is very fortunate that she was not found chained to a bed too.

Even before they had children they were real private and didn't come around much. It's not like this just happened two years ago. If that had been the case we'd have thought more about it. (Loosely quoted from video interview in the article).

http://abcnews.go.com/US/aunt-13-siblings-allegedly-held-captive-years-touch/story?id=52401005

Interesting that you mention this as I also suspected this w/ a couple of the offspring. Specifically the middle boy and one of the younger girls. they have the facial features of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome children.

Someone else brought up Russell Silver syndrome or Turners. I researched Russell Silver, having never heard of it before and it makes some sense. Who knows? I;m sure the doctors will do testing.

You know in other cases where children were confined or locked away there was speculation that they may have had some learning or other issues that the parents felt shame about or did not know how to cope with, which was part of the chain of events that led to the later abuse.

The medical personnel at the hospital thought the adult offspring were children. The 29yo woman was thought to be not only a teenager, but a young teen. For all we know, those older females haven't even reached puberty. You need to reach puberty to be able to conceive.

LE has said all the children belong to the two parents. The case is horrific enough without jumping to even worse conclusions without proof. I'm taking LE's word for it....unless it changes in the future.

jmo

Thank you for saying that. I really hate when we try to make a case more horrific than it might be without evidence of anything worse. It's lurid. And truly this case is mind-bogglingly bad enough.

I'm sorry this is bringing up difficult memories and issues. It's a reminder that mistreatment of others and suffering reaches far. Take your time with this case - and also thank you for alerting us to a possible connection.

:grouphug:

Oh I wish that were so. The reason there are so many people with psychological problems - anxiety, depression, bi-polar disorder, personality disorders, sexual issues, addiction, PTSD, etc. - is in large part because of what they suffered in childhood.

Kids bodies are resilient. Their minds are not. Their minds are quite fragile in a sense, they are very impressionable and any kind of fear or trauma or significant or on-going stress can negatively effect them permanently. Trauma in childhood of any source can cripple children and cause them to struggle to be sane and functional as adults, for life: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15985923

(That is, BTW, why I would never use hitting of ANY form, fear or humiliation to discipline a child. It has an impact).

However, and it is a big "but", children's minds are "plastic", much more so than adults, and so the earlier they receive treatment of trauma they endured, the better chance they have at recovery or learning adaptive coping skills.

As to the older "kids", I have no idea how these young adults will be able to function and cope normally. Sadly, I believe they will likely need disability payments and assistance for life.

Never underestimate the power of human strength,courage, and love.
I need to add one more thing, let’s all remember that while they are now “free to grow and think like normal humans “,they will also be curious (and sensitive) about everything, including themselves, what people say and what people think... Websleuths and the big wide web is just a click away, please be sensitive to that fact when questioning certain things and how you phrase them. They are the biggest story in the world right now, let’s be sensitive to the fact that they are people with feelings that have been damaged and hurt enough...

I very much hope that their hope is realistic. But....can't help but be reminded of the older Fritzl ("dungeon") kids. The youngest, Stefan (I think he was 7 when they were finally freed) apparently was able to recover fully, but the older kids (both teenagers) were not so fortunate.

IMO it's difficult to imagine, sadly, that the oldest kids (in their 20's) will ever be fully whole or OK, given how long they were cut off from normality, physically and emotionally tormented, and forced to witness their many younger siblings being subjected to the same abuse.

In the press conference I believe it was the M.D. said all the children would need to be treated for PTSD.
I can't imagine that there won't be lifelong emotional scars on the bulk of these offspring.

I'm hearing things that raise red flags for me, with the extended family, so I am hoping these siblings have other options for care. From the different stories the sisters are telling, and the changing of stories (as with the parents flying out several times and being turned away changed to they called and were turned away.), I feel like there is a little drama/attention seeking happening. "It's all about me!" Which is in line with what I've seen in the videos. These siblings need people in their lives who focus on their needs, not the adults' needs.

And this. "David Turpin's mother, Betty, said she doesn't have any information about the case.
But she said "we feel like one side of the story has been reported. This is a highly respectable family."
For example, the siblings wore identical outfits based on gender to help "keep up with the kids" during outings, she said." http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/16/us/california-turpin-family-what-we-know-dont-know/index.html
What? "One side" and "highly respectable family"?????? No. Just No. This is NOT about public perception of your family. This is about what happened to these 13 children. There is NOTHING that makes what happened okay, and there is NO WAY that this was the children's fault. They could never have done enough to deserve this. (Not saying that's what this grandmother was saying, but it seemed like she was insinuating something.).

Sounds to me like David Turpin's mother is in denial and has been in denial about her son for a very, very long time.

I cannot reply or engage right now, but I will tell you this... Google Bill Gothard, Institute for Youth Conflict. Also google Alert, A..T.I.A - The advanced training institute of America headquarters in Wheaton, Illinois or Oakbrook Illinois. Immediately , when I saw her age, and heard the sister’ s comment about how their dad used to be a pastor, I got chills.... It is very possible that her parents were in the above referenced “Ministry”, of which and several “survivors”, call a cult... I have to take an emotional timeout now, I am too invested... Just know, that I am okay, that my children are okay, and that everyday it is my goal to be the parent I needed... The doubly ironic part is, I too ran away at 17, but I had to save myself....蠟[emoji25][emoji25]蠟

Thank you lona, for this post and sharing your experience with us here. I am so sorry you had to experience this. We are all here in support of you, whether we are in a different town, different city or different state entirely. :grouphug:

Sounds to me like David Turpin's mother is in denial and has been in denial about her son for a very, very long time.

I can't even with "grandma". For real.

I hope all the kids/adults are recovering some strength. I pray for their integration into a real loving family; but I can anticipate keeping them together will prove pretty hard to do.

sooooo...what is with the hair cuts on the men?

I really hate when people do this, but I'm really short of time today and won't be able to read other posts before writing mine. My apologies if this has already been mentioned. Something that has been on my mind for a while is that some of the "victims" (hard not calling them kids) seem to look a bit like some I've seen with fetal alcohol syndrome. I wonder if LT has a history of drinking; it doesn't always take a lot to cause problems. That could account for the short stature, possibly some of the low weight, in-coordination and other things. If so, common signs of it are also irritability, aggression and hyperactivity. If so, they may have just started confining them to keep them from causing more problems. Either way, it wouldn't excuse the things that were done, but it means there is a very small possibility that the parents were just ignorant and frustrated rather than the monsters they seem to be.

I know this is all pretty unlikely, but I always try to look at issues from all sides. MOO

I think that's a definite possibility but IMO they wouldn't be as controlled and obedient in public. I didn't see any hyperactive behavior in any of the kids in the videos I saw. Of course I'm sure some of that is due to abuse, but from what I know about FAS I think it would be hard to "abuse" the FAS behaviors out of a child. I know many FAS kids due to our involvement with adoption and in general, the parents have a very hard time with them. I could be wrong. MOO

This is VERY insightful. I see a manic-depressive cycle in the lives of this family, now that you point it out. Manic = let's go to Disneyland, let's go to Vegas and have a wedding! (three times), let's move to California, let's spend way more money than we have, and depressive = forget or refuse to feed the kids, chain them to the bed, neglect the house, hoard things.

Overlay all that with religion and psychosis and you have a giant mess.

I'm thinking what you're thinking. I think severe depression and manic episodes are a big part of this. They don't explain everything, but I do think depression/mania is a factor.

I think the mom had high hopes with each new child....only to be overcome with the responsibilities of motherhood. She drowned in the responsibilities - and part of drowning was surrounding herself with the hoards of stuff and grime. Once in awhile she would bounce up big and they'd go to Vegas. And then back down.

I think she was incapable from the start to run a household and it spiraled and spiraled and spiraled down.

Don't know about the father, though. I think he was just sorta "there." Others are seeing a patriarch, but I'm seeing a passive man. THIS IS SPECULATION probably based on the dorky haircut, which I admit is flimsy evidence! :slap:

jmo

How big is the back yard? Any speculation that they may have buried some? if there were other children.

Catching up and not sure if this has been posted yet, but here’s a YouTube video of the Turpin’s California home and backyard filmed from over the back fence by the neighbors.
In a few of the photos you can see inside what looks like the kitchen area. Boxes and boxes of diapers and other things stacked up in there.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gj46zG3ZJA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members