Sentencing and beyond- JA General Discussion #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
's appeal to the COA was filed in May 2015.

A year later, in May, 2016, after the trial record was certified as complete and opening briefs were scheduled due within several months, her attorneys stopped the briefs clock by filing motions to supplement the record.

Many supplement requests & a full redo of the trial transcripts later, in April, 2017 the Court again certified the trial record complete.

But...nope. Though that date still stands as official on the COA docket, more skirmishes and motions and transcript clean ups & redos followed, from April-August 2017, when the COA first issued the new deadline of February 28th, 2018 for the 's opening brief.

Miraculously, the 's criminal appellate attorneys have not filed a motion of any kind since AUGUST 2017!

Yes, her civil attorney, Karen Clark splatted onto the docket with her request in October, 2017 that she be granted access to sealed files, perhaps for the case against Nurmi, perhaps because she & the appellate attorneys intend to incorporate portions of the civil case into the criminal appeal.

But.....no motions by Clark have followed from the access she was granted in October.

I think this is it, that just shy of 3 years from the initial appeal being filed we are only about 5 weeks away from hearing that the opening brief has been filed. WOOT! :)

As reminder- the brief may well be ordered sealed, but if not, a COA clerk promised me she would email me the brief, and I'll post it as soon as I receive it.

I'm very glad I made the trip (forgot who it was here that convinced me it wasn't a bizarre thing to want to do), and am even more glad to have had the company and input and sleuthing power of so many here, literally every step of the way. It was for sure the most amazing sleuthing experience I've ever had, in large part because of that sharing of it with y'all. :)

Among other moments I'll never forget is parking on that sidestreet near Travis's house after I'd driven all over his neighborhood & realized it was the only place where she could have parked & slept in her moving van before leaving Mesa.

And immediately after parking there, experiencing that deeply disturbing & creepy sense of certainty I was parked where she had parked that AM, sitting where she had been, thinking about her in the place where she had been thinking about and anticipating killing Travis.

Man, was I especially grateful then to have not felt alone.

I think a bunch of us ganged up on you to do the unthinkable, take a side trip from your vacation, and explore every nook and cranny.

Yes, I’ll never forget how vacant those streets seemed in Travis’s neighborhood. The homes are fronted with multi-car garages, blank house fronts. IIRC. There were no kids playing in the streets, no one mowing a yard. Almost antiseptic. It’s hard to imagine such a slaughter being committed in such a benign neighborhood, but so it is.

I got the creeps real-time as you drove about and posted your pics. Yes I remember your pause where JA must have laid in wait. Sickening.

In case other posters are wondering, maybe we should have a link to your Mesa trip posts with all those photos? I’m not sure where they were put.

In case other posters are wondering, maybe we should have a link to your Mesa trip posts with all those photos? I’m not sure where they were put.

I took all the pics on my cellphone & lost all the pics I'd stored there when I bought my next phone, so don't have firsthand access to them anymore.

I think my overall trip out west & back was in late July through early August, 2016. Is the best way of locating the posts/pics trying to find the threads from back then? Do photos stay put as attachments after all this time?

----
Edit: posts and pics are in sentencing thread #7, beginning around post 690 or so? I think I just saw a photo of the sidestreet in post #717......

I was thrilled when H4M was in Mesa! I couldn’t wait for her posts!
Hope, I would have had butterflies in my belly if I felt certain that I was actually in the very spot the killer parked. I am going to search back through our posts.
So February 2018 will be the month the killer files her case for appeal. Seems to me Esquire Clark is not so much into the appeal as she is working the case against Nurmi.
I was also thinking, when will the killer turn on Wilmott? While I don’t think this will happen, I can just imagine the killer going down her “list” of people that did her wrong in AZ. If she had the resources she would probably sue them all.
There is a pic on Angela’s instagram supposedly of a recent visit to Perryville where the entire clan is pictured with Angela & her new baby.
If interested go on Instagram & search
Angela_susan.
I think the pic is a fake as I didn’t think the killer was allowed contact visits @ PV. In the pic, the killer’s teeth look photoshopped. If that murderer is allowed contact visits after only 3 years incarceration at a state prison, then the Correction system is bonkers.

She told the Utah officer her friends must have been playing a trick on her. I suppose that was her on-the-spot answer, and when it got down to brass tacks with investigators and attorneys, she thought up something less believable but more fitting for her alibi.
Yes, of course! More fitting to her alibi is key here! WE all knew she went into the state of Arizona, but at trial she wanted J.M. to believe she went from California directly to Utah, so it had to have been degenerate skate punks who messed with her license plate in Pasadena. It only took me five years to connect the dots (and helped by your comment), but not her. She already knew what to think and say. I don't know if that says more about the way her mind works, or less about the way mine works. lol

The pic with the killer’s leg in it could actually be the moment she was slashing his throat as well. How horrible.

And no, I don’t think we left any stone unturned during our discussions way back. I enjoyed every dissection as many of you, IMO, are really observant and great sleuthing minds.

Accolades aside, I started to look back for Hope’s Mesa trip pics on #8 but haven’t found them yet, but have all day today and plan to find them.

Wing Ding, it's easier to remember the theories that haven't been covered on this forum :) Stealing plates would have been unnecessarily risky for her, as your question points to.

Heh, I'll add your final question to the list I would have liked Juan to have been able to ask.
I would like to see your list of unasked questions.

Is one of those unasked Juan-questions why Travis flipped-out after she dropped his camera, but not after she "fubar'd" his BMW?

And why is it that Jodi was able to offer so many different excuses for cutting her left ring finger, but J.M couldn't show Jodi's interview with Det. Flores where she said she cut it the day of the murder? I realize she wasn't admitting to the murder, it was the two masked intruders who "were there for Travis" and not "that biotch from California", but she still said she got a cut on her finger that day -- presumably from a scuffle with the girl. I wonder if that was precluded for some reason, or if Juan just didn't think the cut on her finger would be important until the cut on her finger became important. And really, when she took the witness stand and admitted killing Travis in self-defense "because he attacked her and she defended herself", why is the cut on her finger an issue at all? Why would she deny cutting it during the murder, if she'd already admitted to the murder? I guess that's just one more thing I don't get about her.

I took all the pics on my cellphone & lost all the pics I'd stored there when I bought my next phone, so don't have firsthand access to them anymore.

I think my overall trip out west & back was in late July through early August, 2016. Is the best way of locating the posts/pics trying to find the threads from back then? Do photos stay put as attachments after all this time?

----
Edit: posts and pics are in sentencing thread #7, beginning around post 690 or so? I think I just saw a photo of the sidestreet in post #717......

That sounds about right. That's probably close enough on the spot for people to go looking for the photos. They would have been spread out quite a bit, too, since we were chatting up a storm.

Yes, of course! More fitting to her alibi is key here! WE all knew she went into the state of Arizona, but at trial she wanted J.M. to believe she went from California directly to Utah, so it had to have been degenerate skate punks who messed with her license plate in Pasadena. It only took me five years to connect the dots (and helped by your comment), but not her. She already knew what to think and say. I don't know if that says more about the way her mind works, or less about the way mine works. lol

IIRC, JA wasn't trying to prove she never went to Arizona, since she'd already admitted to the crime. However, the plate swapping went to pre-meditation.

Re: the cut finger- Juan did show the pic from early 2008 with Jodi’s arm around Angela, but no, he didn’t spend much time refuting that testimony. And I believe Ryan & Leslie Udy confirmed the killer had her hand bandaged in Utah post murder 6/5. But why Juan didn’t cite this cut directly from the Flores investigation when the killer said it was done by the “ninja” female?
That finger....I hope every single day the incorrect healing of her finger reminds her of what she did to Travis. Her being left handed, it has to.
I’ve often wondered if that, after many years go by or on her deathbed, the killer will tell the truth about what happened that day. That’s a big “if”.
Ten years it will be on June 4 that Travis is gone. Ten years for the killer to be in jail. I am sure she’s acclimated by now but am sure she is in misery.
And next month - appeal brief due. With no new motions or complaints on the record since October 2017, I don’t see it being delayed. Her appeal - do you think we will know by the end of this year?
I personally think there is no way in the world she’ll be given a new trial. The evidence against her was too strong. Very few procedural errors were made by JSS; nothing that will warrant another trial as any procedural error IMO would not have changed the verdict.
A question I have is that if this first appeal is denied, what are the factors the killer & her legal team have to establish to exist for an appeal paid for by the killer? Apparently there is an “Appeal Fund”. Can a defendant simply ask for a “do over”? I don’t think so unless new evidence is found disputing the conviction.
She’ll never fade away, however. Killer loves herself too much to go quietly.

I was thrilled when H4M was in Mesa! I couldn’t wait for her posts!
Hope, I would have had butterflies in my belly if I felt certain that I was actually in the very spot the killer parked. I am going to search back through our posts.
So February 2018 will be the month the killer files her case for appeal. Seems to me Esquire Clark is not so much into the appeal as she is working the case against Nurmi.
I was also thinking, when will the killer turn on Wilmott? While I don’t think this will happen, I can just imagine the killer going down her “list” of people that did her wrong in AZ. If she had the resources she would probably sue them all.
There is a pic on Angela’s instagram supposedly of a recent visit to Perryville where the entire clan is pictured with Angela & her new baby.
If interested go on Instagram & search
Angela_susan.
I think the pic is a fake as I didn’t think the killer was allowed contact visits @ PV. In the pic, the killer’s teeth look photoshopped. If that murderer is allowed contact visits after only 3 years incarceration at a state prison, then the Correction system is bonkers.

Sorry to say that the corrections system is bonkers, because she is allowed contact visits, has been allowed them for over a year, iirc, and is allowed to have multiple visitors on contact visits.

That photo may well be photoshopped, but I think it's real, sadly.

(PS- the Travis house & neighborhood photos & route discussions are in thread SEVEN, beginning around post 710 or so, and on for many posts, because after looking them up again, I remember it took a long while that day to be able to upload pics onto WS. ;)

Somewhere after Mesquite? She gets gas there, right? Did she have to get to Mesquite quickly in order to make the timeline on the gas receipt?

Your quote, Rickshaw, is from a page following the pics Hope posted of her 2016 trip to Mesa (and beyond).

I hadn't thought of this before reading your comment, but Hodi says she stopped in Pasadena to fill her rental. Her next known stop for fuel was in Mesquite, right? According to Mapquest, the mileage between the two cities is 340 miles. It's very likely she would have been able to drive there from Pasadena on a full tank of gas, so that sounds like another calculated part of her plan. And of course she would have gotten a receipt for documentation to prove she was "nowhere near Mesa". (ha ha) And wasn't that the leg of her trip where she got lost and then fell asleep in her car (which would explain the additional time to get there)? How conveeeeeeenient. Oh, she so sneaky!

Was there a receipt from the Mesquite gas station entered into evidence? I'd like to know how many gallons of fuel she paid for, for that 340 miles. ;)

Btw, I only saw two pics Hope posted (sidestreet and open garage door). Are there, or were there, more?

The pic with the killer’s leg in it could actually be the moment she was slashing his throat as well. How horrible.

Examine Gray Hughes' incredible projections from 4 minutes in and you may agree that the position seems pinpointed precisely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FZsNR4sLmU

Forensic evidence points to the bedroom carpet being the point where Arias viciously slashed TS's throat. Not too far away, granted, and horrible, absolutely.

Huh? Did we miss presenting & arguing about ANY theories here? :D

About the license plates. Exactly when she switched plates around- likely not just once but twice, and perhaps even 3 times, will remain a mystery, alas.

😶The meat has been picked from the bones of this case, for sure. Almost every rational (and quite a few whacky) theories has been debated intensely. Now the licence plates could have been replaced up to three times? 🙂 Why not five? Or ten?

Joking apart, I'll have to give some further thought to this.

I would like to see your list of unasked questions.

Is one of those unasked Juan-questions why Travis flipped-out after she dropped his camera, but not after she "fubar'd" his BMW?

And why is it that Jodi was able to offer so many different excuses for cutting her left ring finger, but J.M couldn't show Jodi's interview with Det. Flores where she said she cut it the day of the murder? I realize she wasn't admitting to the murder, it was the two masked intruders who "were there for Travis" and not "that biotch from California", but she still said she got a cut on her finger that day -- presumably from a scuffle with the girl. I wonder if that was precluded for some reason, or if Juan just didn't think the cut on her finger would be important until the cut on her finger became important. And really, when she took the witness stand and admitted killing Travis in self-defense "because he attacked her and she defended herself", why is the cut on her finger an issue at all? Why would she deny cutting it during the murder, if she'd already admitted to the murder? I guess that's just one more thing I don't get about her.

Wing Ding, on reflection, my preference would be for Juan Martinez to be able to cover all the questions/areas he couldn't in his book. Maybe one day we will get to hear him more freely express his impressions and more information.

Laughing at "that biotch from California". Arias was unintentionally hilarious at times - laughing at her, of course. I'd have liked Juan to have been able to ask more about her journals and faking/removal of entries. More about her stalking and slashing of tyres. Yes, some questions around the car too and her different accounts around the week where she burnt the engine out would be useful, I agree.

Regarding the ring, one of my favourite moments in the trial was when he caught her out lying on day 25.

Juan did show the interview with Detective Flores and the cut to her finger regarding the 'Ninjas'. It is from 30 minutes in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PboeQxoY3o

Is this the one you refer to? She gave a different account (as you know) in an early interview. Detective Flores was brilliant, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member