CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to take a brief breather from commenting on this case.

I know I'm among many here who find this case heartbreaking. The momma in me is completely and utterly shocked at the neglect - but we don't need to be mothers to be shocked and heartbroken by this case. My nerves feel sensitive - I don't want any more shocking revelations about the case or even unkindness in general anywhere around me (which is unrealistic to expect, which is why I needed a breather from posting).

As I read the developments with care for the siblings, I'm going to pull away from that aspect of the case and wish them well. This is a crime forum, and I'm turning my attention to the criminals. I AM NOT TELLING ANYONE HOW TO POST so please don't react as if I'm pointing fingers (which I can't do since I'm right here with all of you and completely understand the fascination and concern about the sibs).

But for me, I feel like I'm intruding on their rights to privacy by commenting with my opinions on the assisted living vs. foster care vs. what else they should do from here on out.

Again, I am not suggesting anyone follow my suit or that I think my approach is superior - far from it!! I know WSers care deeply about victims and I respect that.

But I am uncomfortable and I hope to regain my WS footing by focusing on the crime and criminals.

jMyOpinion, with respect to the opinion of others

(See ya in another thread, IntheDetails...I get it....I've stepped away from some threads here as well, and as I've said before I think this is one of the most important skills for websleuthers, knowing when to step away. :heart:

Snip
Another relative, David's brother, Randy Turpin, is the president of a Christian college in Ohio. He wrote a book about the spiritual benefits of fasting.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/califo...orrors-to-face-restraining-order-13-children/

A source close to the investigation told CBS News Randy told authorities in California on Tuesday that he wanted to explore the possibility of adopting the children.

Randy Turpin is a member of the clergy and in the eyes of the State of California, is a "mandated reporter." I can understand the elderly parents in their 80s not recognizing the children were starving, but don't buy that the brother did not see it. Oh well, perhaps they were on his 21 day religious fasting plan (sarcasm).

Here is an article that states they were under IV, antibiotic, vitamin, and nutrition care initially.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/...rside-County-California-Perris-469938463.html

Initially and some may been prevented care as they didn't know much. It was said they didn't know what medication was. With such a large group we don't know how many got what. The fact they're being moved after just one week is promising to me. We don't if all, some or how many are being released. But they don't keep you inpatient any longer than medically necessary. (catching up so may know more now)

Well, I hope these kids find some piece now that this chapter of their life is over.

(See ya in another thread, IntheDetails...I get it....I've stepped away from some threads here as well, and as I've said before I think this is one of the most important skills for websleuthers, knowing when to step away. :heart:

Can't get rid of me that easily!

I'll still be here but will do my best to restrict my comments to the criminals and their crimes, and not comment about victims. (My choice, not a judgement of others.)

jmo

I agree. His singing left a lot to be desired but he did try hard to draw the kids out. I really don't see in those videos that the kids were having fun. Their responses seemed a bit staged to me. They laughed whenever he said something to them directly but it sounded forced to me. In other words they only laughed when they were expected to. The only spontaneous laughter I saw was when they were laughing at DT when he messed up. They never laughed at LT at all.

When I watched those videos I couldn't help thinking that those kids just sat there quietly while DT and LT were dancing to some of the more upbeat music. They only got up and danced when Elvis called for them to. If that had been the kids in my family they would have been up there rocking the stage during those numbers without being asked to do so. Adults too. Dancing in the aisle. Overall I didn't get the vibe that it was a truly joyous occasion for those kids. More like a "sit down and keep your mouth shut or you are in for it when we get home" occasion.

But to give Elvis props he tried hard to draw them into the whole thing.

JMO

Oh, it's definitely different than anything at our place too. We're a raucous bunch. One banging on the piano, the t.v. blaring something, or one showing off dance skills, and another shooting nerf hoops. It gets a little crazy. If that had been us, at least one of mine would have been singing into the microphone w/Elvis dude. He did try though. I agree it seemed staged, and it was awkward, but I just don't think that they really knew how to have fun (if that makes sense). Maybe they can find their voices now and have some good ole rambunctious fun!

FWIW, IVs are not supplied in a SNF. They would need to be in a hospital proper to receive IV meds.

Not sure about the facility but I was sent home with an IV medication that an RN came and hooked up and monitored then unhooked from port. But not sure in this situation. Hoping they aren't needing those any longer.

Just because someone volunteered to take them all doesn't mean that volunteer was approved or appropriate. Foster families have to have background checks, home studies, and training, and all of that takes time.

I'd also imagine that assessment and evaluation of the children is ongoing and evolving. It's likely that it will take months to fully work out what each child needs for the best outcome.

Yeah someone on here pointed out the dysfunctional dynamics a family this disturbed may have going on. It may actually be better for them to be split up. At least for awhile.

I just hope they had a choice in the matter. Thats all. They have had zero choice their entire lives and only they know what they have been through.

I get the assisted living for the adults, I think that is a great solution for so many reasons. Also, being in foster care, I know for a fact that sibling visits will be offered to them if they want them. (Between the adults and children and between the children that are being separated). CW agencies usually take pains to not separate siblings whenever possible, as they have a right to family and the family is already shredded and disrupted enough.

All I can say is that I really hope the minor survivors had a choice in the matter and that their wishes were considered. Empowerment is so important, especially with trauma and especially in a situation as horrific as this.

I had another thought as well regarding the age ranges of the minors, besides the two year old. We know the oldest minor is 17 and the youngest 12 maybe? I think I even tend to forget that they are actually adolescents and not grade school age due to the three youngest girls appearance in the photos.

Also, did you notice when the survivors join their "parents" on stage in the Vegas video that they sort of align and "group up" into certain groups according to their age? They are not being told to do so, as they likely were in photographs. They do this automatically and with zero direction in the videos. It stood out to me and I noticed it.

My point is, it was reported early on that the siblings were "kept separate" in different rooms. .So maybe, sets of them are closer than others. Maybe they have been split into two homes, but the team was thoughtful about it, and kept the sets that were closest and most bonded together in the same foster homes.

Just thinking.

All my opinion only.

Snip
Another relative, David's brother, Randy Turpin, is the president of a Christian college in Ohio. He wrote a book about the spiritual benefits of fasting.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/califo...orrors-to-face-restraining-order-13-children/

A source close to the investigation told CBS News Randy told authorities in California on Tuesday that he wanted to explore the possibility of adopting the children.

NO. I hope they are not going to consider this because "faaaaaamily" or because kinship care is cheaper. No-one in the family should be able to adopt or foster the kids or adults, and definitely not get their hands on any money.

There is clear evidence that the children were physically objectified. They were turned into props, particularly obvious in the staged events and photos. This is a common evidence of abuse. When a person is objectified, everything that makes them unique and human is taken away. How far did these parents go to objectify their children?

We see it when they are all wearing the same clothing and shoes, and all have the same hair cuts, girls all the same length and all the children the same colour. Considering that they had a bath once a year, it is not inconceivable that they also got a hair cut once a year, probably in preparation for an "event" and had their hair dyed at the same time to eliminate any personal differences between sibling. Given the parents' hair colour, having 12 children with the identical dark hair is not genetically expected.

If their hair was dyed, then I have no doubt that will be used as evidence in court for the abuse that they sustained, for as you say, there is no logical reason why their hair would be dyed. It's inconceivable in a normal parent-child relationship, but in this case, the relationship was so depraved, that it goes beyond imagining.

One thing that I've noticed that is different from us, our family, anyway, is that I've not seen individual pictures of the kids. They're always lined up and grouped together. Even the baby is with LT. I've not seen their entire FB so idk for sure. I always took individual shots of the kids too. Shots of the kids actually doing stuff. I've got shots of them actually riding rides at parks, on their pony, playing with the dogs, I've got all kinds of shots. Maybe it's just the photo-bug in me, but I found no individuality in any of the shots I've seen. No cute impulsive shots. They were just taking a shot to prove they went somewhere, or to possibly pacify relatives, imo.

The Assisted Living facility that my post was referring to (my mom w alzheimers) supposedly w memory care unit and all the bells and whistles was a farce. It was Sunrise, in Ann Arbor. As I said, the staff was nice, but it was totally inadequate for my moms needs, or for anyone who needs help with bathing and hygiene and doesn't know to ASK for it. Mom fell out of her bed and we don't know how many hours she was on the floor in her room w a broken hip before someone bothered to check on her. I know these kids don't have dementia, but they WILL need special assistance and may not even realize it to ask for it. I just hope their recovery is well monitored. (I DID move my mom immediately to a skilled nursing facility, which was great). JMO

My grandmother was in the dementia unit at a Long Island Sunrise. NOT a good experience.

O/T for here, but just a quick quip to say new information available for anyone here who may also be following the case of Mariah Woods (the NC toddler killed by a mom's bf) from back in December. Won't post anything here, just as a WS public service announcement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think assisted living is good for the older children. These kids have been held down and confined without a normal life for long enough. I think it is unfair to say the older ones should be responsible for the younger ones. It is time the older kids are allowed to live a free and normal life without being held responsible for caring for six kids that are not theirs. In other words the older ones should be allowed to live free and pursue an education or get a job without worrying about providing a home for and finding daycare for their younger siblings.

JMO

About the IV's.....Myself and one other person already replied with the articles about that so you may not be following all the replies.

ETA Somehow I replied to wrong post. It was the one where you were again asking about the IVs for the 2nd time.

My grandmother was in the dementia unit at a Long Island Sunrise. NOT a good experience.

I know what you mean. I've worked in a few carehomes. My guess is that they will put the children in a separate wing of the building where they will not associate with the other residents and get the personal care they all need. It's probably the best option they have for this number of children. These siblings need each other now, imo.

yes, the adult children would not qualify for SSD because they did not have work quarters in 5 of the last 10 years. but they WOULD be in the running to qualify for SSI.

SSI does not carry Medicare with it, but they should qualify for Medicaid.

SSI can be expedited based on circumstance - hopefully the awareness of this case would lead to expedited SSI, and then Medicaid would automatically follow.

I think Medicaid has recently been changed . It now requires a work mandate and what else?

You are correct, going BOTH in and out of a memory care unit is by key code or RFID badge.

It may be more about making them feel safe that nobody can get into the facility and get them.

Forgive this question if it seems like I'm a dimwit..but, who ever said these folks are going in to a memory care facility?? Assisted living and memory care are two totally different venues. My father was first in Assisted, and progressed into Memory Care..totally different 'wing' of the facility. One end, he could have walked himself right out of; the other..totally locked in (access codes.)

I also believe there are some steps someone needs to be taking..conservatorship, perhaps. Some type of guardianship. I'm sure this is all very complicated.. Parental rights need to be terminated. (Takes time I think.). Family may pipe in, too. His family, her family. So, for the time being these kids are safely being looked after. (At 60, they are all kids to me.)
Imo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah someone on here pointed out the dysfunctional dynamics a family this disturbed may have going on. It may actually be better for them to be split up. At least for awhile.

Each one of the 13 children, minors and adults, are dealing with their own issues whether those issues are physical, mental, or emotional. After years of abuse they may need some space to deal with their own issues first.

Most of the assisted living facilities are set up for 1 - 2 people. Splitting them up into 2 to a room is more like the real world, and all seven can get together for meals or activities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member