CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Confirmation bias, also called confirmatory bias or myside bias,[Note 1] is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's preexisting beliefs or hypotheses.[1] It is a type of cognitive bias and a systematic error of inductive reasoning. People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. The effect is stronger for emotionally charged issues and for deeply entrenched beliefs. Confirmation bias is a variation of the more general tendency of apophenia.

People also tend to interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing position. Biased search, interpretation and memory have been invoked to explain attitude polarization (when a disagreement becomes more extreme even though the different parties are exposed to the same evidence), belief perseverance (when beliefs persist after the evidence for them is shown to be false), the irrational primacy effect (a greater reliance on information encountered early in a series) and illusory correlation (when people falsely perceive an association between two events or situations).

This is not factual as there are photos with extended family as well as posts. There is also a photo of grandparents at the double wide with LT and -DT. Side note his hair style is normal and shorter. In background a young daughter walking around. Photo is dated 2002 IIRC and sitting at one end of large brown sectional similar if not same that lids all on with infant.

And 29 is age of oldest and we've seen photo of LT, #1, and LT, with a big cake.

Too much assumptions jmho

And there are pictures of the Turpin family attending Disneyland with an uncle, aunt and cousins; we know the grandparents (LT's parents) went so far as to fly to California to try to see the kids and LT wouldn't tell them where they were; LT's sister would skype with the kids until a couple of years ago.

ISTM that the extended family TRIED to keep in touch and see the kids, and they were not permitted by DT and LT.

Did the extended family contact CPS? It doesn't look like they did, but they had no reason to. If you called CPS today and said, "my adult daughter has cut ties with me and won't let me see my grandchildren, and I want you to investigate." They would say, "do you have any evidence the children are being abuse or neglected?" The extended family did not have proof of that, to the contrary the public profile LT put up was the "perfect family." So CPS would tell you, "I'm sorry, but adults can decide who they want to associate with, and they can decide who their children can see and associate with. There's nothing we can do."

So don't assume that the extended family didn't care or made no effort. It doesn't appear to me that there was anything they could do.

I'm the same. No doubt they have suffered awful abuse at the hands of their parents, but I also don't think they were absolute prisoners also. They were not totally hidden from society.
I think it is probable that there were favorites and not. That some were chained up for months at a time, some not all, some over and over. I noticed in the Elvis wedding videos some just looked thin and some seemed skeletal. But when a 25 yr old man has to go ask his mother if he can have a friend, he is a prisoner whether he is chained up or not. And then afterwards he doesn't get to go class again at all, yep, he's a prisoner. The DA said Hero#1 was sure she would be killed if caught. And the neighbor said some were too frightened to talk but one of the older girls drove the Jetta. I think if she felt they would actually kill her then there were other serious threats used to control them, such as believing another of their siblings will pay the price; a common tactic. So even if some were allowed to come and go, with strict guidelines, that is still a prisoner. It just doesn't look as much like one. To fool people or maybe to fool herself.

Jaycee was able to sue the government and get a large settlement before it went to trial from the state of California for $20 million because the parole officers continuously went through Garrido's house in Antioch and completely missed that she was held captive there. Luckily the legislature granted the settlement. She lost the Federal case however. Unfortunately.

I don't know how the Turpins could get a comparable settlement unless it was proved that someone called CPS or some other agency or one of the children somehow contacted the police or sheriff or some other law enforcement agency at some point and it is found that the agency did absolutely nothing to help them. But you never know. It maybe the case that down the road something will be disclosed that they did try to escape say in Murrieta or some place like that. If one of the kids escaped for example in Murrieta and hypothetically the police returned the child to the parents, then they could sue and potentially get a huge settlement in the millions, in my opinion. Revelations like this down the road won't be surprising to me.

Confirmation bias, also called confirmatory bias or myside bias,[Note 1] is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's preexisting beliefs or hypotheses.[1] It is a type of cognitive bias and a systematic error of inductive reasoning. People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. The effect is stronger for emotionally charged issues and for deeply entrenched beliefs. Confirmation bias is a variation of the more general tendency of apophenia.

People also tend to interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing position. Biased search, interpretation and memory have been invoked to explain attitude polarization (when a disagreement becomes more extreme even though the different parties are exposed to the same evidence), belief perseverance (when beliefs persist after the evidence for them is shown to be false), the irrational primacy effect (a greater reliance on information encountered early in a series) and illusory correlation (when people falsely perceive an association between two events or situations).

So the condition they were found in, we are overreacting to? Overreacting to no medical or dental care? Overreacting to the cognitive disabilities which are affecting at least some of the kids? The evidence seems pretty clear just by going with what the police and DA have said.

BBM

I completely agree. This type of bias also resides in obtuse denial in the face of facts.

moo

Are there live streams to court hearings, or do we get video afterwards? What time is their hearing today? TIA

I agree! And I believe the older ones may have ID. Jmho and the article makes the Elvis Vegas make a little more sense in timing!

According to People mag the couple brought kids to Vegas 9/2/2013 - #2 who was born 2/3/1992...was 21 yrs old. 10/31/2015 again kids went #3 would be 22. #4 would turn 21 on 11/17/15.

"Louise Turpin introduced Simon to the children who were with her at the event. One of the boys, Turpin told Simon, was in his mid-20s.
"I told him 'You look so young, you look 15,'" Simon recalled.

The young man smiled and nodded, but Louise Turpin did almost all of the talking for the family, Simon said.
Louise Turpin told Simon that she and her husband had taken their older children to Las Vegas when they turned 21. Turpin laughed about how her children were constantly asked for an ID during those trips because they look so young.
Over the years, Simon said, she would wave hello and goodbye to the family from across the road. From time to time she took them their mail, and last year, when Simon's daughter was selling Girl Scout cookies, Louise Turpin bought eight or nine boxes, Simon said." http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-turpin-public-life-20180124-story.html
From the interactions with this neighbor it would seem that the family was not completely nocturnal.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-turpin-public-life-20180124-story.html

"James Turpin, David Turpin's father, told the Southern California News Group that he and his wife visited the family about six years ago when they lived in Murrieta and stayed for five days.

He saw nothing wrong, he said.

"Everyone was loving and kind. The children were happy," James Turpin said."

There have been some contradictions in the stories we've seen. If the above is true, wouldn't this relative have noticed that the children lacked basic knowledge, like what a police officer is, or what medication is? Some stories said that the 17-year-old who escaped and called 911 didn't know what a pill was.

(I hope this makes sense. I hate ending sentences with "is" and "was"!)

That may have been true with some of the younger ones, and this visit was six years ago. They lived in WV. I saw some relatives twice a year at most and was kind of a shy kid. I didn't sit down and have meaningful conversations with the elders. They'd ask me if I liked school, I'd lie and say yes. Do you like your teacher? I'd say yes although I hated school . Do you make good grades? Yes, (and I did til later, in h.s., when I ditched all the time). Awww, give your insert relatives name, a hug, and have a piece of pie! Then the adults talked, and us cousins began to chat and warm back up to each other.

Note: Please don't get me wrong. My relatives talked to us but as a shy kid, I just didn't say much. I call and talk to my relatives around Christmas, send them photos of the family in a Christmas card, but that's about it. If I were starving my kids, they'd have no earthly clue.

I think it is probable that there were favorites and not. That some were chained up for months at a time, some not all, some over and over. I noticed in the Elvis wedding videos some just looked thin and some seemed skeletal. But when a 25 yr old man has to go ask his mother if he can have a friend, he is a prisoner whether he is chained up or not. And then afterwards he doesn't get to go class again at all, yep, he's a prisoner. The DA said Hero#1 was sure she would be killed if caught. And the neighbor said some were too frightened to talk but one of the older girls drove the Jetta. I think if she felt they would actually kill her then there were other serious threats used to control them, such as believing another of their siblings will pay the price; a common tactic. So even if some were allowed to come and go, with strict guidelines, that is still a prisoner. It just doesn't look as much like one. To fool people or maybe to fool herself.

I don't disagree that they were horrifically treated and their upbringing was way outside the norms of society. I was just hopeful thay maybe the didn't suffer quite as much as we had originally thought. That things werent awful for them every single day of their lives. It is still awful if even 1% of their life was abusive, but also I hope that maybe they did manage to enjoy the odd interaction here and there.

I wonder if this is a temporary solution? I realize that with 13 individuals it would be difficult to find a place that would accommodate all of them on an immediate basis. But, I hope that in the future, something can be found that will accommodate all.

One thing about assisted living facilities for the adult children that's good is that a typical assisted living apartment has a bedroom, bath, small sitting area with television, and a kitchen with small refrig. microwave, sink, and dining area. Most of the assisted living facilities have a common dining room where breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served. There's usually larger rooms that can accommodate a family for a visit. I can see that as a place where minor children can be brought to visit with the adult children on a regular basis. We have relatives in one local assisted living facility that's more like an nice hotel. So, on a temporary basis, an assisted living facility is a good place. The adult children are under the watchful eye of medical professionals.

Foster care is by nature temporary. And even though the state will undoubtedly move to terminate all parental rights, a real "forever home" cannot be put in place until that has happened. There are lots of steps--some administrative and others having more to do with determining what is ultimately in the best interests of the children (vis a vis placement together and so forth). Some times it comes down to a balancing act. If there are no adoptive homes on the horizon willing and able to take six siblings, is it better to wait in hope that someone will step up, or to move to stabilize the children in multiple placements.

I just googled "turpin hoax" and all I could find was a bit of a nutjob on twitter calling it a hoax.

Just heard on my TV that today's court proceeding will happen in less than 1 hr. Also, older children are in a group home and younger children in foster care.

Where on earth did you read this??

I think we should ignore, scroll by, or report any mention of hoaxes, and or outrageously offensive conspiracy theories that minimize these survivors horror. They have no place here and we should not give them life.

It's appalling beyond words and absolutely disgusting.

In an ideal world, every adult would have living parents. My mother died of cancer when I was 13, and my dad died of cancer when I was 37.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of an assisted living facility for the adult children. I think of the large facility just a few miles away that has independent living apartments, assisted living apartments, and skilled nursing care. There's a tennis court, a swimming pool, a mini golf course, a gym, a library, an auditorium where guest performances are presented, pool tables, a game room where daily or weekly card games take place, etc. The facility also has shuttle buses that take residents shopping or to a group activity like attending a play.

We visit relatives who live there and most of the residents are very happy and friendly people. With the adult children, I can see a senior citizen becoming close to them and being a 'grandparent' to them. Depending on the activities offered, I see an assisted living facility as a really good option at this point.........lots of learning opportunities for them.

Aw, I Imagine it is very hard losing ones parents so young. And I think your point about parental, and grandparental figures could be be very promising for these adult siblings.

I am at the age where I am tracking my elderly parent - my mom passed about eight years ago.

She lived in senior housing for ten or so years. It's more independent than assisted but it had many services, programs, transportation, and it was also very close to center of town for those walkers. Anyway, her community was the sweetest community. I got to know some great seniors over the years. The holidays were always lovely, and many had really pretty gardens, in springtime, and afternoon coffee and tea with someone was always welcome. Many had family out of town so I always felt like a welcome child when I visited.

My father now lives in a retirement village with a great community. With the heartbreak of these siblings I can see people reaching out with kindness and compassion in this setting...

So I wonder if adult services has a good match vetted for these older sibs... All of these children could, might really benefit from some kindness instead of fear... I am feeling hopeful.

This is slightly off topic, but one of my brothers had a seizure and then was unresponsive for a while overnight. He is now in the hospital while they try to figure out what’s going on (he has a history of a brain tumor, so anything like this is potentially serious). I am at the airport preparing to leave on a work trip. We haven’t lived together for over 35 years and we are at opposite ends of the political spectrum, but I would give anything to be by his side right now. I can’t imagine how this feels for the children. [emoji22]

I'm sorry Doghair. :grouphug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member