CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Turpins barred from contacting their children for three years. I guess this is to keep them from manipulating the sybling's stories - sad for the baby - bad time to break a bond, of course for the better in the long run.

IMO this is the perfect time to break the bond to an abuser.

I don't see that. I see all those kids responding to what they are told to do by Elvis. There is no spontaneity where they impulsively jump up to do a few quick dance steps to Jailhouse Rock, no real interaction between them and Elvis that is not called on by him for them to do, no impulsive hugs for each other or mom and dad.

In my family, the kids would have jumped up and danced in the aisles at an occasion like that. Some of the adults too. They might have been quiet during the "vows" part of it, but when the music started their legs would have been jumping in time with the beat of the music. Given the circumstances where they have been starved I can see they may not have felt like running around, but on the other hand, there is no real pleasure in the faces of those kids.

In my view for what was supposed to be a joyful occasion, it had almost a funeral air. If the T's meant to show how happy their kids was, it was a huge flop in my opinion.

But if we had seen those videos as the Elvis crew did, jmho no one would have thought same as thinking now. Wasn't it on their YouTube page until very recently yet no one had those observations before Jan 14, 2018? According to current neighbor interview LT said took kids to Vegas when they turned 21, which does match with dates went with ages. I see people enjoying themselves being silly in video.

I never said there was an attack. I said there was minimization of the victims experience and narratives on a victim friendly forum. As evidenced above. As if any of that somehow negates the facts of this case. None of it does. It minimizes the horror. It is not victim centered.

imo

I'm pretty sure I haven't heard from any of the victims, so I can't say what their experience was.

You're really making this out to be more than it is. All I'm saying is we should wait to get more information and to hear from both sides.

Did anyone see the reaction of the parents to the entry of the protective order? Were they in court? Was there any weeping and gnashing of teeth?

"... Jose Medina, a Democrat, said he plans to introduce legislation requiring state officials to conduct on-site inspections of all private schools in the state, which include parents who educate their children*at home."

https://world.wng.org/content/california_lawmakers_call_for_more_homeschool_oversight

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I would have thought there were already some sort of guidelines that are monitored for home schooling/home base schools.

I would have thought there were already some sort of guidelines that are monitored for home schooling/home base schools.
Each state does their own thing. Apparently the only thing required in CA, IIRC, was a yearly fire inspection, which didn't happen.

I have an adult daughter who does not have a drivers license. She lives in my home. I drive her to classes and wait for her to be done to drive her home. I drive her to therapy sessions and wait in the waiting room until it is time to drive home. Does that make me a monster parent?

My point is that mom driving son to school and waiting for him to attend classes doesn't mean she is a child abuser. Maybe she is, but that fact tends to prove very little.

Context is everything. If you also had 10 other kids (excluding a baby) who by every indication were NOT free to come and go anywhere, even outside their own home, and if pictures & info was available of homes you'd lived in that were so squalid visiting rats probably put gloves & galoshes on before entering, and if one of your children told LE, after escaping and calling 911, that she feared for her life, and if 3 of your kids were known to be just freed/found shackled to beds in their own waste, and if you had been charged with dozens of felonies involving child & adult abuse then no, I would not give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were just being a good parent and helping out one of your kids. Nope.

BBM
While I agree that they these kids were abused, chained to furniture, and lived in filthy, disturbing, conditions, it's coming out that there were sightings of them outside, in what seemed to be normal family activities. I agree, that it seems, as you say, LT/DT either felt they were normal, or attempted to do/be normal, at times.

In the beginning, though, I thought that no one had seen them at all, except Elvis dude, the kid in TX and the person who'd found the runaway. It turns out that lots of folks have seen them but had no clue what went on behind closed doors, they just thought they were odd, or, they were like the kid in my class who hadn't been taught at home about pesonal hygiene.

Yet the statement of "runaway" was stated as fact in one article and option got from hearsay. Nothing to prove that the child had or hadn't ran away. Nothing reported, ever.

I wonder if the inspections will be scheduled or unannounced.
I wonder what's happening about the missed fire inspections. How many years did they just skip that? So what else hasn't been getting fire inspections, either? Somebody ought to be in deep doo doo.

Did anyone see the reaction of the parents to the entry of the protective order? Were they in court? Was there any weeping and gnashing of teeth?

Supposedly, LT smiled at DT when they entered the courtroom, according to an article I read, but I didn't see any commentary on how they behaved when the order was issued.

I may have already posted this. My s.t. memory isn't the greatest (lots of stuffs over the years) but, I was watching the vid online again, and my spouse looked over, and asked what I was watching. I said the Elvis vow renewal. He said, I thought so... We both agreed that the guy is NOT a very good impersonator, nor singer, and we could not for the life of us see the allure of three renewals (nor one for that matter), but, that Elvis dude DOES seem to be a purdy nice fella. I can't watch it for long either though, it' too campy, I guess is the word, but I do watch a clip here and there because, in part I find it is so bizarre, and in part, because I can tell the kids are having fun. This case makes me feel like I need a shower, constantly, but, watching Elvis guy give the kids a fun outing, does help me with it, a bit, but, I agree, I personally do not find him a very good impersonator, but that doesn't take away from him likely being a nice fella though.

I have to agree about Elvis maybe he was the cheapest. Had my children been there they'd have been pushing and shoving and scaling the columns.. lol.

Remember, we can all scroll and roll to the next comment without commenting on ones that contradict our beliefs or morals.

<modsnip>

I think some folks just like to have more facts from indictments, trial etc instead of news headlines when we've been told over and over about "fake news" and just knowing that news headlines sell. They have to make them catchy to sell. And quote people's opinions without knowing all the facts yet. Above report was the kids still haven't told the whole story as it will come out slowly.

I think everyone here has agreed that the kids were abused and neglected. The only dispute is how exactly and the depth which we won't know for awhile or ever if this doesn't go to trial.

Aw, I Imagine it is very hard losing ones parents so young. And I think your point about parental, and grandparental figures could be be very promising for these adult siblings.

I am at the age where I am tracking my elderly parent - my mom passed about eight years ago.

She lived in senior housing for ten or so years. It's more independent than assisted but it had many services, programs, transportation, and it was also very close to center of town for those walkers. Anyway, her community was the sweetest community. I got to know some great seniors over the years. The holidays were always lovely, and many had really pretty gardens, in springtime, and afternoon coffee and tea with someone was always welcome. Many had family out of town so I always felt like a welcome child when I visited.

My father now lives in a retirement village with a great community. With the heartbreak of these siblings I can see people reaching out with kindness and compassion in this setting...

So I wonder if adult services has a good match vetted for these older sibs... All of these children could, might really benefit from some kindness instead of fear... I am feeling hopeful.

I think many of these seniors will be able to offer the young adults the emotional support they need while the facility itself meets the other needs. I can see a senior citizen grandmotherly showing the adult girls how to scramble an egg, or "here's my recipe for a really delicious meatloaf." I think a senior citizen could provide some of the basic lessons these young adults need.

They were charged with six counts of child abuse, this includes the baby. One count for each minor child. They did not charge torture or false imprisonment respecting the baby. In essence, LE still allege the baby was abused but was not treated as badly.

Thank you...I did find this from AP

“Severe, emotional, physical abuse,” Riverside County District Attorney Mike Hestrin said in announcing numerous charges against David Allen Turpin, 57, and Louise Anna Turpin, 49. “This is depraved conduct.”

Prosecutors filed 12 counts of torture, seven counts of dependent adult abuse, six counts of child abuse and 12 counts of false imprisonment against the couple. David Turpin was additionally charged with one count of a lewd act on a child under age 14.

The victims range in age from 2 to 29. The charges involve acts in Riverside County dating to 2010.

The torture and false imprisonment charges do not include the 2-year-old, Hestrin said."

My point remains the same - these headlines are sensational, and for no other reason than to garner clicks.

I am wondering if the lewd act is on one of their children or a child outside the family?

I've been following along for days on these threads, contributing rarely. I'm surprised to see how much infighting is going on here. I have to agree somewhat with those who have suggested that there may be some sensationalism going on with the media reports. I don't think anyone is lying about how the 13 have suffered, but at the same time, allowing so many conflicting stories from people who really do seem to be coming out of the woodwork saying fairly strange things makes it hard to know what's true. I've been feeling this way for a few days now, but have felt apprehensive about saying anything along these lines here.

I agree with the poster who discussed what her own backyard looks like, and how the weeds and disorder in the T's backyard seem to be, in the media, some kind of indication of their evilness. I, too, have a crummy-looking backyard at the moment. I'm also feeling a little worried about all the discussion of the children wearing pants with cuffs, as if this is a universal indicator of abuse and neglect. My kids are both on the smaller side for their ages and their pants are always too long. I buy ahead in sizes so they can grow into them. It's a budget issue for me. I hate to think that people seeing their cuffs think they aren't being cared for properly. I hope this isn't what people mean but it's hard to tell.

I'm not telling people how to post. I've been lurking on WS since 2004 and a member since 2012, I've seen a lot of stories come and go, and I know most people mean well. I'm just concerned that we've moved past discussing the facts of the case and now we're just speculating on anything and everything as evidence of abuse.

There's a lot that sensational about the reporting in this case...starting with the headlines that were splashed everywhere in the news and social media. I would expect this from the Mirror or Daily Telegraph, but not NBC

NEWS JAN 16 2018, 10:26 AM ET
California parents arrested after 13 children found shackled, held captive in their Perris home (link)

Obviously the 29 yr old escapee was not found shackled. There were actually 2 or 3 found shackled and there were no charges against them related to the baby.

Do these statements of fact minimize the neglect and abuse these children and adults suffered?

Hey there!! It was the 17 yr old that escaped not 29. And there is a count for the 2 yr old.

But it's quotes like this from DA, yet here we have 1 going to CC and accounts from neighbor of one driving Jetta, and most of all a 17 yr old who cut screen, escaped and used a non working phone to call 911?

"It appears to me that they lacked any kind of understanding about how the world worked," Hestrin said." http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/da-seeks-bar-parents-contacting-13-kids-captive-52571131

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks