CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
An abscessed tooth can be fatal. It can go to the brain. I beliee they may have been fortunate enough to may have inherited good teeth. We see at least two children with eye issues though.

I'm also wondering about their concept of time. I know when my ex became so malnourished, he lost all concept of time. I thought he'd had a stroke, only he hadn't. I thought at one point he was faking, so people would take care of him, but he wasn't. (You'd have to know him...). One of the kids, usually my eldest, would go see him frequently and even stayed with him for awhile before his memory got so bad (he was old enough to choose). I'd call his house, to get in touch with my son, and he'd tell me he hadn't been there. While we were on the phone, my son would come strolling through the room, and his father would say, Well I didn't know you were here!

When we looked back, we saw when it had started. It was very strange. It wasn't until he was hospitalized that we learned of the malnutrition, and the severity. I'd even called in a wellness check, because I knew something wasn't right, and, because our son was staying there, and, thought he should come back home. They came, asked the ex some simple questions, but didn't "talk" to him, and declared him, and his living quarters, just fine. Stunned. I think that they thought I was just a disgruntled ex (anything but).

From the link below: Nutritional Deficiencies (Malnutrition)
"Deficiencies can lead to a variety of health problems.These can include digestion problems, skin disorders, stunted or defective bone growth, and even dementia."

Vitamin A is a group of nutrients crucial for eye health and functioning and reproductive health in men and women. It also plays a part in strengthening the immune system against infections.

B1 deficiency/lack of thiamine.
A lack of thiamine can result in weight loss and fatigue as well as some cognitive symptoms such as confusion and short-term memory loss. Thiamine deficiency can also lead to nerve and muscle damage and can affect the heart. (Often seen in long term alcohol abuse)

Niacin (vitamin B-3) is another mineral that helps the body convert food into energy. A severe deficiency of niacin is often referred to as pellagra... Symptoms of pellagra include diarrhea, dementia, and skin disorders. You can usually treat it with a balanced diet and vitamin B-3 supplements.

B9 Deficiency (Folate) Folate is especially important for fetal development.

Vitamin D Deficiency: A lack of this nutrient can lead to stunted or poor bone growth

Calcium Deficiency: Calcium helps your body develop strong bones and teeth. It also helps your heart, nerves, and muscles work the way they should.

Nutritional Deficiencies (Malnutrition)
https://www.healthline.com/health/malnutrition#causes
I have been reading the same and similar articles as well on the effects of prolonged malnutrition. The brain is not impacted as highly in adults, so if it escalated in the last 10 yrs or 2 yrs even then it is reversible for most. But as I suspect if some were treated worse than others and for prolonged periods at a younger age, when malnutrition is so severe there is both wasting and stunting there is a high incident of mental retardation, even epilepsy, and depending on when it is finally treated may not be completely reversible. In children and adults it can lead also to spinal disorders, gait disruption (maybe like we saw in the Elvis video I believe).
I'm thinking of all the things they must be doing for the adults and children including physical therapy, dental work (did you see the media seeking chamber of commerce chairperson who said dentists had stepped forward to offer free dental for life! Thats probably not fair and I appreciate if he was seeking exposure to their fundraising.) Hair cuts and new clothes. Their first iPad. I know it's for therapy and not so their can IG everything they do but as their health improves I hope they find a release in creative energy. I hope CCStudent learns to play guitar and is amazing and we get to see him play a Hendrix version of the Star Spangled Banner in the World Series and he has more friends than he can count.
Wouldn't their advocates and case workers have already filed for emergency disability benefits for them? It's possible some may be permanently disabled. I can't even imagine.

Everywhere David Turpin has worked offers very good benefits. I know some plans, especially these days, are virtually unusable due to high deductibles or qualifiers or limitations on services. But, I doubt he ever had to face that kind of problem. And, back when I first started working, insurance plans were a lot better at just regular companies than they are now.

Granted, some of his dependants are now too old to be on his plan (29, for example). But, she had a lot of years where she could have visited a dentist and, from what we have been told, she still wasn't taken.

An earlier post of mine links to benefits they have. It's not their site, but you can search "Northrop Grumman benefits" and their site will come up.

A lot of companies have plans where preventative types of care is very cheap or even free. I think it is possible this will be used against them in court, particularly for the younger children. But, that is just a guess of mine that this could help show willful neglect. IDK for sure.

It says that "The Hill County Sheriff’s Office has no record of a child or young adult calling 911 to ask for help at the Hill County Road property. " so maybe she never got to make that call. Maybe she chickened out when she reached the phone or perhaps the neighbor didn't take her. It is weird, though. They have to investigate every call that's made, even if it's just a welfare check, so you'd think that they would've gone out there and see the shape of the house and things would've change.

Doesn’t the article say calls are only kept for a year?

The child who called probably will remember and the info will come out .

It baffles me that people will pay $150 to get their hair colored every 6 weeks, have cable tv and cell phones, cars, a cigarette habit, drink, gamble, computers, wi-fi, manicures and pedicures, etc., etc., but balk at spending money for doctor visits.

The women you speak of probably have extremely high deductibles to pay before their private and expensive insurance picks up any of the bills. Someone paying $600 and up per month for insurance ($7,200 after tax dollars each year) can't meet the deductible too (often $6K and more out of pocket) as it has all spent on premiums. Imagine having to spend $13,200 before your insurance picks up the tab for anything. It is insurance that can't be used.
I understand now. I have almost always had dental care available (VA diability, and good private insurance as a kid) but my husband doesn't because his insurance premiums are insane, too. We've had to pay thousands and thousands for unexpected medical care, I apologize if I offended. I understand high deductubles and having ro pay excessive amounts that you might not have (we've had to pay for two surgeries in the last decade). The women I know that I was referring to spend very frivolously and brag about it, and spend money to get their own teeth upkept (one spent $10,000 to get fake teeth for herself, had made comments to me about my husband having bad teeth because "it was only $10,000" for hers, but won't take her kid to the dentist). We make less than $40,000 a year and spend a good portion of that on insurance and medical expenses that crop up.Anyway, I apologize for the way I came off. This is getting off topic, so I'm going to scroll and roll on the dental comments.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Great question and shows your sensitivity to their ongoing plight. My guess is they feel some relief but much confusion and fear and anxiety of what comes next. Remember these 'helpers' are all strangers. And trauma victims
generally (IME) are wary of people, in general. It will take time and kind support for them to come in from their
emotional prisons. Step by step, they will learn to trust again, but very slowly. Some may never trust again.
Some will hold in anger and not react for years to come. This is a very long road ahead for them to heal. Some may never heal. Children do not understand why they were so mistreated. They just know they were.
Helping them will be like peeling an onion.
but for some, the onion is rotten on the inside. They will each feel and react differently to their new surroundings.
But the real damage is inside and can't be seen.

They are going to have effects forever, but remember this was planned for two years, Maybe some siblings were left out of the plan.

Remember that the chaining started because one of the children got out of his ropes. Maybe each child got love and attention as a baby and that has given them some kind of fortitude.

The oldest girl may have stories of the freedom when she was allowed to,play outside. They saw Disneyland and Vegas. They must have stayed overnight somewhere that was not filled with filth.

Doesn’t the article say calls are only kept for a year?

The child who called probably will remember and the info will come out .

It says that they are only kept for a year unless an investigation is done. If the house is as bad as we're believing, and their circumstances that dire, then I find it difficult to believe that a case wasn't opened. I was a social worker for many years and while it's much harder to open a case than people realize, there are some things that are taken VERY seriously. Feces on the wall, chains or ropes on beds, excessive garbage, etc. would not have ended with a shrug. At the very least, they would have investigated, even if it hadn't resulted in anything.

I tried to edit a post and deleted it. I am sorry, I have had that problem in the mobile version.
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong . Here it is again. Sorry for the technical difficulties.

I can't say I'm very encouraged by the sentences handed down in any of the other horrible abuse cases posters have brought forward here. I really pray LT isn't currently pregnant (no indication she is, just a fear of mine) and they at least get locked up until the toddler is an adult.

I think the privacy of the siblings is important. But I'm disturbed by the tragic life of Genie. We don't even know if she is still alive, do we? Privacy, extreme and calculated privacy, is one ingredient needed to allow abuse to happen. Abuse is a pattern that repeats itself all too easily. The smartest and strongest woman who leaves one abusive relationship, may find herself in another. Abuse happens generation after generation in families. If you've never learned that love doesn't hurt, then real love doesn't feel right. How do we keep these siblings safe?

I hadn't thought it until now, but these siblings need agents. Not court appointed guardians ad litem either. The best money can buy. But $$$ can't be the motivation either....so maybe somehow each one, adult and minor, could be adopted by an individual family to watch for that child's best interest. Then these dream neighboring homes could be set up and there would be this huge extended family there to coordinate care. I know it's an unrealistic, logistical nightmare, but each one of these kids needs to figure out the rest of their lives.

Man, I was going somewhere else with this post, but it felt good to dream for a minute so I'll leave it. Please don't rip me to shreds for the "agent" bit, I don't mean it in the let's make them stars way at all.

One point I was going to make in the case of Wesley a poster mentioned before from the 1990s (Wesley appeared on a couple of talk shows w/ Dave Pelzer of "A Child Called 'It'" fame). His abuser would take him to the front porch and dare him to run across the street to the court house and tell them. It doesn't really make it "better" somehow when abusers let the victim taste freedom from time to time.

These magnificent 13 are not the first, last, worst or only case out there. And they told us the kids were strangled! There is no if, and, or but to be had there. In all of the discussion, I see the strangulation get lost. Are these the intentional harm charges?

Final thought on journals. From the fundamentalist group home abuse that came up at one point, I saw several survivors speak of journaling. They seem to basically have to admit to whatever offense the abuser has accused them of in order to earn privileges back in those prisons. Ask for forgiveness for their supposed sin. I can only assume the siblings in the Turpin case had similar journaling to do. Especially given the info we do know about DTs family.

I'm sorry this is long, all over the place and with no links. If you need links, let me know and I'll do my best to find 'em from my browsing history.
I have also hoped that their appointed case worker is the best and that any services they need, counseling, physical therapy, education, job training, music lessons, that they get that person's best.
The thought on their journals is really interesting, because I had feared they would not find much as their abusers would not allow them to write stories that painted them in a bad light, like filled with, "My mom's the best" type stuff. But if they had to write about their infractions and ask forgiveness, for getting their wrists wet, then you are right on and those journals will be very convicting.

In this photo, I green boxed the hands of two of the survivors because of the very long overgrown fingernails on the one (found chained on arrest & rescue day) compared to the other (allowed to take some CC courses).

Attachments

• fingernails1.JPG
    fingernails1.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 185
Picture number 11 in that article shows a sewing machine in the kitchen. I am noting this because earlier people were asking if somebody sewed.

I cannot imagine why anyone would clean that up. Burn it. Ugh

Doesn’t appear to be that “steady”. See the pic below.

The screen cut looked way too perfect to me, as well. I DO think that is how she escaped, but it looks like it would have taken time, a decent tool, and a steady hand to make that cut. And it would have had to be done shortly before she escaped through it, because it was highly visible from the outside of the house, and would have been obvious if anyone opened the bedroom door and peeked in. JMO

a26eaf01be4263e0de864b325455f2cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have also hoped that their appointed case worker is the best and that any services they need, counseling, physical therapy, education, job training, music lessons, that they get that person's best.
The thought on their journals is really interesting, because I had feared they would not find much as their abusers would not allow them to write stories that painted them in a bad light, like filled with, "My mom's the best" type stuff. But if they had to write about their infractions and ask forgiveness, for getting their wrists wet, then you are right on and those journals will be very convicting.

I am curious as to what govt services would pay for things such as music lessons and years of therapy?

In this photo, I green boxed the hands of two of the survivors because of the very long overgrown fingernails on the one (found chained on arrest & rescue day) compared to the other (allowed to take some CC courses).

Even with zooming in I cannot see what you describe. Maybe my ancient eyes, sorry.

It says that they are only kept for a year unless an investigation is done. If the house is as bad as we're believing, and their circumstances that dire, then I find it difficult to believe that a case wasn't opened. I was a social worker for many years and while it's much harder to open a case than people realize, there are some things that are taken VERY seriously. Feces on the wall, chains or ropes on beds, excessive garbage, etc. would not have ended with a shrug. At the very least, they would have investigated, even if it hadn't resulted in anything.

The question is as to what was done. Nothing? No notes on it.

Hopefully the children know and will give info

I think the likelihood of them getting these diseases would be low because they had very little contact, and more recently, no contact, with other children.

Agree. I believe that now is the time that it would most likely be o most concern that they'd catch things. They are going to be exposed to others now, frequently. When I finally got to bring my firstborn home, he was still a very sick baby, and I was not allowed to take him out of the house for a solid year (except dr visits and my parent's home). I had to hire an in-home sitter when I had to go back to work. They said if he caught a cold it may go into pneumonia, and he couldn't fight it off. I had to wait until the doctor gave us permission to take him anywhere. I couldn't even go to the grocery store until some could sit with him.

I have an iPhone X and can’t tell the difference in the two male’s nails. Will take your word on that and wouldn’t be surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cannot imagine why anyone would clean that up. Burn it. Ugh

Bulldoze it and rebuild. They don’t make a tyvek suit that would be thick enough for me to go in that hell hole.

I am curious as to what govt services would pay for things such as music lessons and years of therapy?
No I don't expect government disability to pay for music lessons but at some point he will qualify for a grant and back to college? Medicaid pays for physical therapy if it is prescribed. And there are mental health services that are free to qualifying individuals.

If someone is eligible for and receives disability payments or SSI, they can use some of their funds for music lessons. Therapy is probably covered under Medicaid.

I think the likelihood of them getting these diseases would be low because they had very little contact, and more recently, no contact, with other children.

There have been disease outbreaks especially measles. Going to Disney would be a prime example of an exposure issue. They were lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07