CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
The screens on windows are to keep bugs from entering when the glass window is opened.

Just a personal note from experience, I don't know if it still exists. I saw that they purchased the home through an FHA loan. FHA require screens on Windows. At least they did a long time ago. Somebody else may know what is current.

Also I keep seeing again and again notes about Stockholm Syndrome. I saw an interview with Elizabeth Smart about 3 weeks ago? I can't remember where it was on. But she the vehemently denied as to Stockholm syndrome. She said it was for survival, it was not Stockholm syndrome! She was very very strongly against people calling at Stockholm Syndrome.

I am confused about the screens. There can be metal screens which are more expensive but work well for a dry climate as they can rust.

Most homes have a type of plastic screen. These are held in place on the outside by a spline that fits into a channel. Easy to push out.

Plastic screen weakens after it has the sun beating down on it day after day.

I feel it is very easy to push screen out.

It is strange that the engineer father would not have alarm set ups. But chains and padlocks are so much more fun for sadists,

I am confused about the screens. There can be metal screens which are more expensive but work well for a dry climate as they can rust.

Most homes have a type of plastic screen. These are held in place on the outside by a spline that fits into a channel. Easy to push out.

It is strange that the engineer father would not have akarm set ups. But chains and padlocks are so much more fun for sadists,
Some are easy to push out - others not so much. But she may not have known about how they were attached, that spline pulls out. (It's something I never thought about until I had to repair screens because of my dogs, and purchased a spline roller.)

Otherwise, you're right - she could have taken a pen or pencil, pushed the spline up in a corner, and just pulled the spline all the way out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It is strange that the engineer father would not have alarm set ups. But chains and padlocks are so much more fun for sadists,

KB Homes has model homes all out here in California (formerly called Kaufman and Broad). While the homes are models, the model homes have no screens on the windows. I don't know whether this is because the screens get dirty very easily in California and are hard to clean or what, but if you go to a new development in California and walk through the model homes, the windows are locked and there are no screens (and no interior doors).

Also I recall that I read somewhere that the kids were out in the front yard installing sod to reinstall some sod after some incident with some sort of complaint about yard upkeep. This could have been the HOA or someone else, but cutting sod requires a knife and perhaps the kids kept the knife.

Also, the last thing they do before the developers turn over the models to be sold is install the screens and the interior doors. This model would have been the last to sell because they had to tear out the sales office that used to be in the garage and return the space to a real garage.

I am not sure what type of screens were installed, but in my own struggle with screens and cleaning them every year, some are really hard to pop out without some sort of screwdriver. The window frames are made with some sort of non-wood material so nailing would be hard to do, but they could have been secured close with some other type of contraption. I doubt the monster parents allowed the windows to be opened because the stench would have noticeable to those passing by, particularly the front window that the 17 year old escaped from.

I wonder if they somewhere in the court documents, will list each child with the weight they were when located?

KB Homes has model homes all out here in California (formerly called Kaufman and Broad). While the homes are models, the model homes have no screens on the windows. I don't know whether this is because the screens get dirty very easily in California and are hard to clean or what, but if you go to a new development in California and walk through the model homes, the windows are locked and there are no screens (and no interior doors).

Also I recall that I read somewhere that the kids were out in the front yard installing sod to reinstall some sod after some incident with some sort of complaint about yard upkeep. This could have been the HOA or someone else, but cutting sod requires a knife and perhaps the kids kept the knife.

Also, the last thing they do before the developers turn over the models to be sold is install the screens and the interior doors. This model would have been the last to sell because they had to tear out the sales office that used to be in the garage and return the space to a real garage.

I am not sure what type of screens were installed, but in my own struggle with screens and cleaning them every year, some are really hard to pop out without some sort of screwdriver. The window frames are made with some sort of non-wood material so nailing would be hard to do, but they could have been secured close with some other type of contraption. I doubt the monster parents allowed the windows to be opened because the stench would have noticeable to those passing by, particularly the front window that the 17 year old escaped from.

My screen windows came out with simply pulling on two interior tabs at the bottom of the screen. I lived in MN and had expensive windows because of the issue of having to have windows that did not send tons of warm air out through them.

I am , however, referring to only the screen part. Not the whole assembly. Screen gets rotten from the sun beating on it. And it is easy to accidentally push it out of its frame. Hence, my experience with spline.

<snip>

It is strange that the engineer father would not have alarm set ups. <snip>

I don't think that would have helped them. That lot is small and not much space between homes. Alarms would have alerted the neighbors as much as the parents, a kid escaping to get help could possibly have been met with neighbors on the way over to see if everything was okay. I know there are silent alarms but IME those alert a security service which they definitely wouldn't have wanted.

I am posting this for people who are not familiar with screens. About thirty seconds. How to remove a screen window. These are the windows I had.

https://youtu.be/sLC8LbuzNJY

I don't think that would have helped them. That lot is small and not much space between homes. Alarms would have alerted the neighbors as much as the parents, a kid escaping to get help could possibly have been met with neighbors on the way over to see if everything was okay. I know there are silent alarms but IME those alert a security service which they definitely wouldn't have wanted.

Never thought of the neighbors. Makes sense.

Engineer father could have made silent alarms for,his house only if they are going to use the defense they needed to shackle children for safety.

To me it points clearly that they loved sadism

I think that maybe the kids cut the screen instead of removing it because 1) they didn’t know it could come off so easily; or 2) removing it could make more noise; and/or 3) removing it would be far more obvious, so they cut the hole at shrub-level and escaped into the shrub, which would also give them more cover from neighbors potentially seeing them escape.

Nailing would not work well, but they can be screwed in pretty easily. We had to do this to a few of ours after the Great Cat Escape one evening, whereby Miss Kitty popped the corner of the screen out and released all of the foster cats into the wild!

I agree that some of these screens are very difficult to remove. All of ours were the same, yet some had to be removed with a tool, while others could be popped out by a 6 lb kitty.

They all, inevitably, fell to the ground making noise, however, unless we had someone outside holding onto it.

For this reason, I now use a backup screen insert when I open windows, just to be sure nobody (nobody being critters) falls out.

Unrelated to this case, but similar situation: “DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — An Iowa woman convicted of murder in the starvation death of her 16-year-old daughter was given three life sentences Friday.”

https://apnews.com/72d66a0520984a66875d1a885f357e88

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh my God. CPS could have stopped this.

Sometimes I regret changing my major from social work all those years ago.

An easy answer is she didn't know how to take a screen out. Or possibly her parents had somehow screwed them in. I would be surprised if the windows were not screwed shut. Many parents do that in their teens rooms to make sneaking out more difficult. Maybe she assumed if she had to use a screw driver to open the window that she needed a tool to cut the screen as well. I'm sure my 17 yr old wouldnt have known how to lift the tabs and remove a screen. Or maybe they thought it wouldn't be as readily seen if they woke up before LE arrived. Maybe with furniture placement or moving boxes it could easily be blocked from the inside.
If DT had installed alarms on windows and doors, maybe they figured out how to disable the window without it being noticed. They could have had a lot of time to themselves to figure stuff out.

Oh my God. CPS could have stopped this.

Sometimes I regret changing my major from social work all those years ago.

CPS in some areas is similar to Animal Control. A bunch of lackees getting a weekly paycheck but too lazy to earn it.
In my area, we've had numerous starving, skinny horses inspected by Animal Control. But because there was hay
and feed in the barn, AC allowed the owners to keep horses, with only a verbal warning. Usually the next good samaratan
call is because the horses are now dead in the pasture.

I don't think it took much to cut the screen, and was probably much quieter than taking the screen off from the inside of the house. Whatever Hero did, she did a great job.

No! Maybe for half a week in the height of summer but no need for screens here! I’m 40 min train ride from London but have lived all over the UK

In court, there will be photographs of the beds and whatever shackling devices were in use. Prosecution might even reassemble such a bed. I am just guessing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spartan12!!