NY NY - Brooklyn, Wycoff Ave, WhtMal 25-45, In Concrete in Bsmnt, Ital'n shoes, clothes/glasses, Sep'99

madamx

Reaction score
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/6135

Date found: Sept. 15, 1999

Sex: Male
Race:White
Ethnicity:Unsure

Weight: null lbs
Height: null inches

Hair color: Brown
Head hair:
gray-brown, straight, 1"

Body hair:
straight, thick dark chest hair

Left eye color
Unknown or Missing
Right eye color
Unknown or Missing

Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton Retained metopic suture

Address:
137 Wycoff Avenue

City: Brooklyn
County: Kings
State: New York

Clothing:

undershirt, striped button down short sleeved men's shirt,
tan slacks, tan socks

tan italian made leather shoes

Circumstances:
Mostly skeletonized remains found by construction workers buried in concrete in a basement at above location.

https://lostandfound.revealnews.org...3&end_date=12/31/2000&unidentifiedperson=6135

K99_04274_glasses[1].jpg

Nothing to indicate how long he might have been down there? Surely there'd be some idea of when building works had last been carried out in the basement.

In buildings like this, what would the basement have been intended to be used for? Storage for the retail business on the ground floor? Who would have had access to it?

Nothing to indicate how long he might have been down there? Surely there'd be some idea of when building works had last been carried out in the basement.

In buildings like this, what would the basement have been intended to be used for? Storage for the retail business on the ground floor? Who would have had access to it?

Under circumstances on this UIDs namus page says the time of death range is 1994 to 1997. The Italian leather shoes and dark thick chest hair makes think this might have been mob related.

Google and a medical database tell me that the metopic suture is one of the seams in a human skull. The skull sutures are normally flexible at birth and become gradually replaced by solid bone as the child grows up, eventually smoothing out altogether in an older adult. But sometimes the suture doesn't close up in an adult. That's a retained or persistent metopic suture.

This is something that the person probably wouldn't have known about and per the medical database it has no clinical significance. But it would show up on a skull x-ray of a missing person.

The Wikipedia article has a nice picture: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontal_suture

Long shot..... this guy is from Baltimore and had a gambling problem ties to Atlantic City and had debts that he owed to gambling associates went missing Jan 1997.. His glasses look the same as the glasses pictured found with UID.. he was wearing Tan pants which are the color that were found on UID. Now the only thing it says that he had blonde hair.. but the photo looks like he has brown.. I thought I would post him anyway.

https://lostandfound.revealnews.org...1/1993&end_date=12/31/1998&missingperson=2289

Circumstances:
Demyon was last seen leaving his townhouse in Cockeysville, Maryland on the evening of January 13, 1997. Demyon drove away from his house in the unit-block of Gurteen Court in Cockeysville at around 6:15 p.m., driving to a nearby motel to use a pay phone. His car, a 1989 dark blue Pontiac Bonneville, was found on February 20, 1997 in the 1800-block of North Calvert Street in Baltimore City. No evidence of foul play was discovered. Mr. Demyon was the vice president of Safety/Sight Incorporated in Cockeysville, a firm founded by his late father. He was an avid gambler, and frequented Las Vegas, Atlantic City, and the horse tracks, and was apparently in debt to several gambling associates.

Date last seen
Jan. 13, 1997
Age last seen
47 years old
Sex
Male
Race
White
Ethnicity
Unsure
Nickname/Alias
Tommy

pd_demyon_flipface_thumb[1].jpg

https://www.baltimorecountymd.gov/Agencies/police/homicide/unsolvedmissingpersons/demyon1997.html

Thomas Gregory Demyon
Missing Since January 13, 1997

Baltimore County police are continuing their search for clues to a Cockeysville man’s disappearance.*Thomas Gregory Demyon was 47 years old when he left his townhouse on the evening of January 13, 1997.
Demyon drove away from his house in the unit-block of Gurteen Court in Cockeysville at around 6:15 p.m., driving to a nearby motel to use a pay phone; the home phone had been disconnected.*His car, a 1989 dark blue Pontiac Bonneville, was found on February 20, 1997 in the 1800-block of North Calvert Street in Baltimore City.*No evidence of foul play was discovered.
Mr. Demyon was the vice president of Safety/Sight Incorporated in Cockeysville, a firm founded by his late father.*He was an avid gambler, and frequented Las Vegas, Atlantic City, and the horse tracks, and was apparently in debt to several gambling associates.*
The victim was reported missing by his wife on January 14, 1997.*He is described as a white male, 5'10" tall, 230 pounds, with a large build, blue eyes, and fair complexion.*He*had blonde hair and was balding. When last seen, he was wearing a green "Resorts" jacket, and tan pants.
pd_demyon_flipface_full2[1].jpg

Under circumstances on this UIDs namus page says the time of death range is 1994 to 1997.

Thanks. I'd missed that. So he wasn't down there for decades.

The Italian leather shoes and dark thick chest hair makes think this might have been mob related.

I wouldn't necessarily assume it was mob related without more evidence. Italian shoes are still mostly made by old fashioned craft methods and are a luxury product much as a Rolex watch is. As such, they may be more an indicator of social class or economic status than ethnic origins.

I was checking NYC Department of Buildings to see if there was any work done in the building around those times and found that the building has 2 entrances and 2 addresses. Since its a corner it has one on each block.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/P...&s=A03C41B885B461E4F46BD08866A7430E&restore=1

349 STOCKHOLM STREET
BROOKLYN***11237
and
137 WYCKOFF AVENUE

it would be interesting to know what restaurant was there before Dunkin Donuts.. I see that the building got a new owner in 1999.. so I guess when they were doing construction they found the body.

these are the job filings for work there.. the last one I listed is SEPT 1999 which I am assuming is when they found the body..

09/08/1999
A2
X SIGNED OFF
06/08/2001
0025618 RA
KLIESCH

NOT APPLICABLE

*FILING FOR RENOVATION OF EXISTING COMMER CIAL SPACE AT CELLER AND 1ST FL

*Work on Floor(s): CEL,1, 2

11/29/1996
A2
R PERMIT-ENTIRE
02/27/1997
0063062 PE
KATHERIN

NOT APPLICABLE

*RENOVATE EXISTING RESTAURANT WITH NEW KI TCHEN EQUIPMENT

*Work on Floor(s): 1

11/21/1995
A2
P APPROVED
11/21/1995
0007310 RA
WESTPHAL

NOT APPLICABLE

*DOC WITHDRAWN 08/18/2011

09/05/1995
A2
Q PERMIT-PARTIAL
10/23/1995
0007310 RA
WESTPHAL

NOT APPLICABLE

*JOB WITHDRAWN 08/18/2011 INSTALL NEW COOKING EQUIPMENT INSTALL FI RE SUPPR

08/11/1993
A2
P APPROVED
09/01/1993
0055822 PE
KETCHEDJ

NOT APPLICABLE

*REFURBISH INTERIOR OF DINING ROOM, NEW COUNTER WITH PLUMBING, NEW EXHAU

I was thinking he had an undershirt.. older men like my father wore undershirts always under their button down shirt. And also says he had short sleeves on so I am assuming this UID was put in there in the warmer months which would prob run from April to Aug here in NY.. or March to Sept.. the guy would not be wearing short sleeves after that.. just some thoughts

if they found the shirt and pants and shoes couldn't they give us an approximate size?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/875dmnj.html

Name: Christopher Allen Zahl
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: May 12, 1994
Location Last Seen: Holmdel, Monmouth County, New Jersey
Physical Description
Date of Birth: January 11, 1951
Race: White
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 200 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Blue
Nickname/Alias: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Scar on right knee, Blood type A positive
Identifiers
Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Available
DNA: Available
Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Watch and key chain
Circumstances of Disappearance
Christopher Zahl was last seen in Holmdel, New Jersey on May 12, 1994. His vehicle was found the next day at a train station in Red Bank, New Jersey. Foul play is possible.
CAZahl[1].jpg

I submitted Joseph Restivo for this UID, for those that do not know Staten Island is part of NYC and the Verrazano Bridge connects Brooklyn to Staten Island. Joseph went missing from Staten Island and happens to wear the same glasses that were found at the scene. https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/8042/176/

A construction person would know when concrete was being poured, they are usually the ones that place the body before the concrete is poured, or building management or super.

I wouldn't necessarily assume it was mob related without more evidence. Italian shoes are still mostly made by old fashioned craft methods and are a luxury product much as a Rolex watch is. As such, they may be more an indicator of social class or economic status than ethnic origins.

I agree. Though towards the Mafia possibility, the victim is said to also have some Mediterranean physical features. Then factor in that the Mafia, like all organized crime groups, largely preys on their own ethnic group.

Though none of this proves it is Mafia related, it does raise some reasonable suspiscions.

I submitted Joseph Restivo for this UID, for those that do not know Staten Island is part of NYC and the Verrazano Bridge connects Brooklyn to Staten Island. Joseph went missing from Staten Island and happens to wear the same glasses that were found at the scene. https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/8042/176/

A construction person would know when concrete was being poured, they are usually the ones that place the body before the concrete is poured, or building management or super.

oh that is great houndpounder I had not seen him.. let us know if they get back to you on Joseph.. Yes and I totally agree with you, the building super is the one person that you find in the building basements or construction workers..and nobody would think twice of them being down there

I agree. Though towards the Mafia possibility, the victim is said to also have some Mediterranean physical features. Then factor in that the Mafia, like all organized crime groups, largely preys on their own ethnic group.

Though none of this proves it is Mafia related, it does raise some reasonable suspiscions.

Reasonable suspicions, I agree, but I'm just cautioning against excluding other possibilities. Mediterranean features could also cover Greek, Cypriot and Maltese as well as Spanish/Hispanic. The Greeks, Cypriots and Maltese have also had organised crime, though on a smaller scale than the Italians. Indeed in the 1940s and 1950s the Maltese were very big in racketeering in the UK, though I imagine in the US context the Hispanic/Latino connection has been much more significant than the Greek, Cypriot and Maltese ones.

Reasonable suspicions, I agree, but I'm just cautioning against excluding other possibilities. Mediterranean features could also cover Greek, Cypriot and Maltese as well as Spanish/Hispanic. The Greeks, Cypriots and Maltese have also had organised crime, though on a smaller scale than the Italians. Indeed in the 1940s and 1950s the Maltese were very big in racketeering in the UK, though I imagine in the US context the Hispanic/Latino connection has been much more significant than the Greek, Cypriot and Maltese ones.

Not to mention southern France and potentially most of the Balkans, maybe even Turkey.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back