CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say that if a neighbor child approached me asking for help and a ride and info on how to escape such as how to get a driver's license and how to reach the police, I would help that child and drive them to the police station to tell their story. I would feel obligated as a normal person and I would have to help the child. I don't understand why someone, apparently a police officer, would return them to the abusive home the child was allegedly trying to escape. Did the officer even inspect the home and notice it was trashed and the siblings were also suffering and starving? Or take the child seriously? I have so many questions.

I don't understand this either. I HOPE upon hope that whoever found her didn't disregard the child's concerns and brought her back home.
Story may not be accurate or true though.

That was my fear. But the second letter could also be a smaller upper case/capital F, and not a T?

Yes, I think that if the writer knew how to make that "J" with a cross bar at the top, they would've known how to make the "T" with a cross bar too. Second symbol sort of looks like a backwards question mark too. Who knows...:thinking:

I have to say that if a neighbor child approached me asking for help and a ride and info on how to escape such as how to get a driver's license and how to reach the police, I would help that child and drive them to the police station to tell their story. I would feel obligated as a normal person and I would have to help the child. I don't understand why someone, apparently a police officer, would return them to the abusive home the child was allegedly trying to escape. Did the officer even inspect the home and notice it was trashed and the siblings were also suffering and starving? Or take the child seriously? I have so many questions.

Has any victim ever came out and admitted that they had Stockholm Syndrome? I wouldn't put much stake in any victim denying it. If my memory of that case is correct, she heard searchers calling her name but didn't answer them. She then started following her kidnaper around town to restaurants, stores, and libraries, but still made no attempt to get help from anyone. If that is not Stockholm Syndrome, I don't know what is, whether she wants to call it that or not.[/QUOTE

I thought that way too. Then I went to read the definition of Stockholm Syndrome:
feelings of trust or affection felt in certain cases of kidnapping or hostage-taking by a victim toward a captor.
Maybe it's the "feelings of trust or affection" part that ES is referring to and disagrees with.
I always though Stockholm Syndrome was more of a mindset of survival and brainwashing of sorts.

I don't know much about interpreting children's drawings but I remember reading that small arms imply helplessness/weakness. On the inverse children will often draw their abusers with huge arms or hands, iirc.

Exactly,

The Turpins DEMANDED that they had to be in charge of the kids at every possible moment. The abuse with the ropes, chains, and locks was their form of control. Following four different cult like religions at once, the kids could not do anything without a parent being there. As bad as that, they were insistent on not having the kids observe anything that would take away their control. And the religious obsession made matters beyond all comprehension. Can't let the kids date. Their partner might think about sex, and we can't have that. Can't let the kids watch TV, cause the ideas and views they get from the shows are "wrong." And we can't have that. Can't have the kids playing with toys or games because they might get ideas that our not ours and we can't have that, All of these things were Louise's and David's ways of sadistic, cult-like, controlled thinking,

Louise probably hated the idea of the older son taking community college classes, but her being there at every moment was a mandatory condition for the son to do that. She probably would have proffered to be in the classroom with him, but unless signed up for the class herself, school policy would not allow her to do that. The girl who tried to bond a friendship with the son taking the class. He told Louise that he had no friends and she had no friends, asking her if they could be friends. This was only the second night of class, Louise, according to the girl, coldly said "Whatever" and got in the van with her son, who never attended the class again.

I did read that the whole family attended a community college show in 2016, all wearing the same type of outfits. What the show was about I do not know, but I think the older son was in the program. I think that the Turpins saw the outside world as a threat to their authority and only exposed their kids to this, if and only if they were able to regulate the situation.

Nothing that David or Louise did was for the kids, with the possible exception of the toddler. Louise had an obsession with cute things, such as little babies and Disney. Being the narcissists that she and David were, they could not love anything that they did not like. When the babies were no longer cute, to Louise and David, they became ugly and repulsive to them, and their children's' natural curiosities about the world were met with disdain and disapproval by both parents. They had to use physical punishment, intimidation, and torture, to prevent the children from discovery. In their sick minds, if they didn't do this, control would be lost.

I could even see Louise as mentally incompetent in several areas. She may have never been taught the skills of cooking, and cleaning, or what love is. Or maybe she was so sick and twisted that she just didn't care. Cleaning the house and caring for the kids in terms of personal hygiene and nutrition, she never saw the responsibility of being a mother or learned the duties and commitment associated with nurturing and Mothering. David's threats and intimidation made Louise's behavior ten times worse. And when the children became so accustomed to living in this hell hole with these monsters, David and Louise would find new ways to intimidate them. This wasn't going to stop until the kids were able to notify authorities or until the parents were arrested. Even if one of the kids would have died of starvation, David and Louise could care less. She would just want another "Cute" baby to make up for the "dead repulsive one."

This witch was living in a fantasy world with her warlock husband who wanted a life of Disney and "Cute" toddlers.

Satch
CONTROL...
All that comes to mind is

BIRTH control.
They knew how babies were made.
I KNOW- religion, but a vasectomy would have been so much better than the energy required to imprison a dozen (+) children/adults and live and breathe the filth.

Carry on!
Please don't start a debate.
It was the "parents" choice to live and do what they did.
May spend the rest of their lives imprisoned, just as they did to their precious children.
MOO

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Those houses are so close together. I wonder how their next door neighbors are feeling right now.

The houses in my neighborhood are about the same distance apart. Our house is a tri-level like the one on the right in the picture. I know waaaay too much about my next door neighbors (and their 5 kids) who live in a ranch much like the house of horrors. I mean we know what our neighbors are cooking for dinner.

How could you not SMELL it?

attachment.php
I can smell what my neighbors are smoking!
And it's not on a grill!!
MOO

I agree Mars might be the only place this might not be covered, but anything is possible! But seriously, I don't know how far away they'd move something. And I know CA is a huge state. But somewhere that is suffering from their own horrific local crime with deep community impact might not be following this to the extent some of us are (Blaze Bernstein comes to mind, I hope that isn't disrespectful).

Also, respectfully, just because there is enough evidence to convict doesn't always equal a guilty plea. I don't understand the when and why but could they take an Alford Plea or plead "no contest" to admit there is enough evidence to convict but not admit guilt. Lawyer thoughts?

I expect the judge would deny a change of venue, based on no benefit, because of national / international publicity.

Do they have Lincoln hearings in CA? In New York we use them for custody cases (not sure about criminal cases), where only the child, child's lawyer, court reporter and judge are present so that's it's not so scary/intimidating for the child.

Not in a criminal case. The defendant has a Constitutional right to face their accusers.

Has any victim ever came out and admitted that they had Stockholm Syndrome? I wouldn't put much stake in any victim denying it. If my memory of that case is correct, she heard searchers calling her name but didn't answer them. She then started following her kidnaper around town to restaurants, stores, and libraries, but still made no attempt to get help from anyone. If that is not Stockholm Syndrome, I don't know what is, whether she wants to call it that or not.

I think Stockholm Syndrome is when they relate to their captor.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

I've got N. American friends who've talked about screens and I've been curious and jealous of them! I hate flies and wasps getting in in the summer!

We do have mosquitoes, but usually just a few days here and there when it's very hot in summer and there's a standing pool of water in the grass. My mum used to say they bit her (she called them gnats and I didn't know until recently that gnats were mosquitoes) but I've never been bitten.

They don't seem to come inside and they don't carry disease here, so that would make a big difference in screens not catching on over here. But also it could be the British way for tolerating rubbish things, and if it's only for a few weeks a year, then we'll just turn on the stiff upper lip and get on with it? But the lack of disease risk over here compared to high disease risk in the US from mosquitoes, I think that's probably the most important difference.

One of my curiosities with screens is "how do you open the windows?", but most houses here have windows that open outward, and I see the Turpin house had sash windows, so there's another practical difference that would prevent them from catching on over here, and we'd have to have some other option to fit on the inside of the windows. I have seen a door screen sold in DIY stores (hardware stores) in summer months that's a nylon mesh with magnetic fixings down a central line in the screen so you can still walk through it, but also keep out flies, and you fix it internally so that you can keep your back door open in summer without as many flies getting in.

I have lived in several apartments in the US and in Japan, that had windows that opened outward, and screens on the inside. The windows were controlled with a hand crank like this. If you don't have an option like that, I suppose you could buy a DIY screen, that could be easily snapped in and out. Then you could open the window, snap the screen in place. When you are ready to close it, you could remove the screen and close the window. When the window is closed you could either store it some place, or leave it on the closed window.

FH08_SEP_WINNEW_01_2.jpg

This is an HONEST QUESTION.
Is there a mental disorder related to DISNEY?
Dee Dee Blanchard and Gypsy Rose come to mind.
Her mother chained her to a bed to keep her from running away.
Mom had munchausen by proxy and lived the fame and attention- so a polar opposite, but seriously.
While the movies seem so innocent, they are a little disturbing when you actually get to thinking about them.

THAT whole "Happily Ever After" I'm sure happens for many people, but...

These people who are really obsessed, and I don't mean they visit Disney regularly, I mean the eat, drink, sleep, breathe DISNEY.

THERE may not be yet, but I see a DSM VII or VIII diagnosis in parents who abuse their children that are also DISNEY obsessed.

Fantasmic Magical detachment disorder or similar.
MOO
(If Sigmund Freud were alive today...)
Goodness he'd be a busy man!

So we basically don't know who this neighbor is, whether the daughter wound up calling 911, whether or not the police came out, why she was returned the house if she left, etc. This story is very strange.

Some people will say anything to get their 15 minutes of fame, as this case certainly proves.

Some people will say anything to get their 15 minutes of fame, as this case certainly proves.

Their 15 minutes of fame and a little spending money for their stories and pictures.

This is an HONEST QUESTION.
Is there a mental disorder related to DISNEY?
Dee Dee Blanchard and Gypsy Rose come to mind.
Her mother chained her to a bed to keep her from running away.
Mom had munchausen by proxy and lived the fame and attention- so a polar opposite, but seriously.
While the movies seem so innocent, they are a little disturbing when you actually get to thinking about them.

THAT whole "Happily Ever After" I'm sure happens for many people, but...

These people who are really obsessed, and I don't mean they visit Disney regularly, I mean the eat, drink, sleep, breathe DISNEY.

THERE may not be yet, but I see a DSM VII or VIII diagnosis in parents who abuse their children that are also DISNEY obsessed.

Fantasmic Magical detachment disorder or similar.
MOO
(If Sigmund Freud were alive today...)
Goodness he'd be a busy man!

I like the Fantasmic Magical detachment disorder. Or maybe Mickey Mouse Syndrome. LOL.

I'm sure there is nothing in the DSM that would cover that, but sometimes I think there should be. Especially when I see some YouTube Disney vloggers, who are 40-something year old men, and some women too, going to Disneyland every single day to film a new video there. Something just seems a little off with them. But if they can make a living doing that, more power to them, I guess.

I am no psychologist, but I did take a Psych 101 class in college. There are some people that actually live in a complete fantasy world, similar to people who are addicted to gambling, and are truly disconnected to reality. It could be Disney, Star Wars, Star Trek, or anything. Also, when I look at that enormous DVD collection spanning that entire wall of the triple garage and multiply that about how many hours it would take to watch every one of them just once, we are talking multiple years.

Also in the Psych 101 class, there were a couple of lectures on cults. Also, there are plenty of people that obsess about these things, but I have never heard of obsessions with Disney associated with purposefully starving children. I have heard of people purposefully starving their own child to make them look sick so that they can go around collecting donations because they claim their child has some sort of disease. I haven't heard anything like that related to this case, however.

All right, folks .. it took 4 days but I've finally caught up here. I'm a longtime WS lurker but just made an account today bc I wanted to have access to some of the links/attachments in the Turpin threads. I've followed every article on this case from every news outlet since day 1, but you guys have done a fabulous job collecting/organizing links here & I THANK YOU SO MUCH for that.

I am/was a court reporter/stenographer in CA from Feb 2011 thru April 2017 -- I'm just out on medical rn -- but I've spent several hundred hours taking down all manner of child abuse & domestic violence type cases in family law & civil court in Northern California. I am NOT an attorney & def NOT an expert by any means, but I will say I feel for the ppl here who are offering counter-arguments to the alleged abuse, or possible explanations for the alleged abuse -- NOT BECAUSE WE DON'T BELIEVE THE ABUSE ACTUALLY HAPPENED, but bc we are trying to formulate in our minds what the defense MIGHT say when/if this thing goes to trial. (And calling it "alleged abuse" is not at all indicating the abuse didn't happen -- that's just the language we are "supposed" to use while the case is pending. It's semantics, really.)

Keep in mind it might not actually go to trial. They may reach a plea agreement of some kind. I'd wager that's pretty likely, considering the widespread media coverage affecting potential jury pool, AND esp if the prosecution does not want the kids to have to testify. (I'm aware most of the "kids" are not really "kids" but considering their assumed developmental delays, well, all the more reason to not make them testify & relive all this nightmare .. I want them to get on w/ their healing & their lives.)

Incidentally, I am a white brunette 29-yr-old female, born 1988, and reading about the eldest Turpin daughter really hit me. I'm 5'9" & 140 lbs. If she really weighed in the 80s when they found her...my god. I can't imagine. Yes I've seen all the photos .. & my heart breaks w/ every new detail I hear. I am glad the media is lumping all the children in together regardless of age, bc I daresay the damage done to the adult children is even worse than that done to the minors...as in accumulatively, obv.

I feel strongly that the contents of the journals may not play a role in the case at all. We don't know yet what's in them, & I somehow doubt they are day-by-day, play-by-play details of the alleged abuse. I was never abused or neglected in the manner the Turpin kids were, but I was raised in the LDS church & was instructed to keep a journal from a young age, and most of what I wrote was just what my parents & church leaders WANTED me to write or EXPECTED me to write, as opposed to any of my real actual thoughts/feelings at the time. JME

One thing kinda bugging me is all the speculation about LT's smiling during the most recent hearing. I don't have children but yes I agree it is TOTALLY BIZARRE for any genuinely caring mother to smile for EVEN ONE MOMENT in such circumstances .. but this has come up in many other cases I've followed over the years. Skylar Neese's teenage murderer Shelia Eddy raised many eyebrows after smiling/smirking thru her first few court appearances. Yeah maybe not totally relevant bc she was very young & this was a totally diff type of case, BUT many observers commented that it may have been 1) pure nervousness, 2) her way of signaling "everything's okay" to onlookers (or even just to herself?) or 3) it was simply her genuine reaction to suddenly being in a totally foreign & very heavy situation. I don't think it's right for the media to scream "LT SMILES THRU ENTIRE COURT APPEARANCE!" bc that's not what she did...but that's just the defense atty in me, I guess .. like, I'm just trying to see their potential angle on it. It's NOT justification, and yeah I hope these "parents" (massive eyeroll) get what's coming to them. I'm just looking at it objectively from having sat in a heck of a lot of courtrooms (tho yes I acknowledge I've spent a very short time working in the field, compared to some of the attys on this site).

Yes, I think that if the writer knew how to make that "J" with a cross bar at the top, they would've known how to make the "T" with a cross bar too. Second symbol sort of looks like a backwards question mark too. Who knows...:thinking:

Javi? Jevi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member