CA CA - Dr. Enrique Garibay Ruiz, 51, Los Angeles, 6 Oct 2017

I was thinking this exact thing. I've been in academia and my father was a humanities professor, and nowadays there's no need for face to face meetings. If he told his family that this was the sole purpose of his trip, that's suspicious. Why didn't he continue his job as an professor? It's unusual to leave the security of academia unless there's a great job in the private sector or his wife was wealthy. But the $33 hostel wouldn't fit that scenario. I wonder if he met someone online in the USA and had a secret phone to communicate? Wouldn't he have a list of contacts for the trip in his email or phone log? I wonder if they found that. If he took the car to Mexico, it might be easier to keep it or get new plates for it. I feel he left voluntarily for some reason.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
This is definitely possible. Why would he contact his family with the "waiting for a flight" story, though? Why not just land in the States and cut all communication with them? This is one of my many questions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Questions were asked regarding his passport, there's some info snipped from the above link:

...On September 15 he entered with a Spanish passport to the United States to spend a vacation and negotiate the publication of some of his books, according to his family members.

...After several days without knowing his whereabouts , a report of disappearance was presented to the LAPD and assistance was requested from the Consulate of Mexico in Los Angeles to try to locate him.

The consular authorities issued a bulletin that Garibay has the Mexican and Spanish nationalities , but that his official address is in Hungary, where he lives with his wife who is a citizen of that European country

...During his stay in Los Angeles, Dr. Garibay stayed at a hostel on Western Avenue, almost on the corner of Melrose , where the shared rooms cost $ 33, and the one he left on October 3.

Dr. Garibay is born in Mexico and his maternal family is originally from Cantabria, Spain. After completing his basic studies in his native country, in the second half of the 1980s he received a scholarship to study nuclear physics at the University of Debrecen, in Hungary.

He later obtained a Ph.D. in computational neuroscience at the physics school of Brandeis University, in Massachusetts, United States, before returning to Mexico and working as a professor of physics, mathematics and computer science at the Leon, Guanajuato campus of the Institute. Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey (ITESM).

:thinking:

Thank you, tarabull! I remembered seeing his passport information somewhere, but I couldn't find it when I went back through.

When it says above that Enrique has both Spanish and Mexican nationalities, could that mean that he has dual citizenship? If so, I still wonder if he could have had a Mexican passport with him even if he traveled to the US on a Spanish passport.

In a earlier post it was revealed that Enrique's last CC transaction was done on Oct. 6th at Carl Jr.'s across the street from a LAX parking lot. It does seem possible that he was at or near near LAX during the time period in question. It is unknown if LAPD was able to obtain any video from Carl Jr's to verify if it was Enrique who made the purchase there.

Another issue that's strange is why would Enrique rent a car on Oct. 4 and plan to leave on Oct. 5 after spending about 10 days in LA without a car. Is there any CC activity in that time period for a taxi or ride sharing service. How did he meet with publishers or friends during this time.

Thank you, tarabull! I remembered seeing his passport information somewhere, but I couldn't find it when I went back through.

When it says above that Enrique has both Spanish and Mexican nationalities, could that mean that he has dual citizenship? If so, I still wonder if he could have had a Mexican passport with him even if he traveled to the US on a Spanish passport.

AFAIK you can't have dual citizenship in Spain. My family lost theirs when they came to US.

why would a doctor stay at a hostel?
They may be romanticized in europe but in america not so much

Actually you can have dual citizenship if one of your parents is from Spain. My children have dual citizenship spanish and american.

In a earlier post it was revealed that Enrique's last CC transaction was done on Oct. 6th at Carl Jr.'s across the street from a LAX parking lot. It does seem possible that he was at or near near LAX during the time period in question. It is unknown if LAPD was able to obtain any video from Carl Jr's to verify if it was Enrique who made the purchase there.

Another issue that's strange is why would Enrique rent a car on Oct. 4 and plan to leave on Oct. 5 after spending about 10 days in LA without a car. Is there any CC activity in that time period for a taxi or ride sharing service. How did he meet with publishers or friends during this time.
This is a great point. Sounds like this is his getaway car. Wow. Mexico?

Seems as if it would be easy for the family to find out if there were any actual meeting. There would be emails, letters, phone calls, texts, something. I would love to know what the hostel staff observed.

This is definitely possible. Why would he contact his family with the "waiting for a flight" story, though? Why not just land in the States and cut all communication with them? This is one of my many questions.

I think that he thought his disappearance would be more believable as a "non-voluntary " one if he seemed to have engaged in what he told his family he was doing--"meetings." If he simply left on a plane then disappeared, it would seem as if that whole story was a lie from the get go. Also, it may have taken time to set all elements of his plan in motion once he was in the USA. if he stopped answering their calls and texts immediately yet LE had footage of him toodling around town at any point in that period, it would be obvious that he had been lying. I think that he purposely pinged from the airport area then destroyed the phone. I think he thought that it would be less devastating to his family if he didn't abandon them (crazy idea, but I get why he might have wanted that).

I think that he thought his disappearance would be more believable as a "non-voluntary " one if he seemed to have engaged in what he told his family he was doing--"meetings." If he simply left on a plane then disappeared, it would seem as if that whole story was a lie from the get go. Also, it may have taken time to set all elements of his plan in motion once he was in the USA. if he stopped answering their calls and texts immediately yet LE had footage of him toodling around town at any point in that period, it would be obvious that he had been lying. I think that he purposely pinged from the airport area then destroyed the phone. I think he thought that it would be less devastating to his family if he didn't abandon them (crazy idea, but I get why he might have wanted that).

^^^ this ^^^

The "meetings with publishers " thing sounds hinky. He was writing about both science and football ? As in American football, or was it soccer ? Notoriously difficult to get publishers to even respond to would be authors emails etc, never mind set up meetings. jmo

Actually you can have dual citizenship if one of your parents is from Spain. My children have dual citizenship spanish and american.

I stand corrected. ¿¡I was sure the consulate told me in the late 1990s that I couldn't obtain dual citizenship?!

(AFAIK fútbol for Spaniards is soccer, according to my late grandfather who played semi-professional in Spain.)

Exactly! He may have had a life insurance policy also and knew they could collect on it, if he went missing, to ease his guilt.

When I see his wide-ranging writing topic and hopes for writing so much in a short time, it makes me wonder if he suffered from some sort of mental illness such as bipolar. Grandiose plans, great periods of "production", etc., during a manic phase could be symptomatic. It could also lead to a "great plan" to head to the USA to talk to publishers, even if it wasn't really practical. All this is wild speculation on my part.

I stand corrected. ¿¡I was sure the consulate told me in the late 1990s that I couldn't obtain dual citizenship?!

(AFAIK fútbol for Spaniards is soccer, according to my late grandfather who played semi-professional in Spain.)
The rules may have changed about the dual citizenship since then, I am assuming. But you are correct, fútbol for us is what here is known as soccer, that has not changed :)

When I see his wide-ranging writing topic and hopes for writing so much in a short time, it makes me wonder if he suffered from some sort of mental illness such as bipolar. Grandiose plans, great periods of "production", etc., during a manic phase could be symptomatic. It could also lead to a "great plan" to head to the USA to talk to publishers, even if it wasn't really practical. All this is wild speculation on my part.

My current speculation is that he had a health issue that affected his university position in Mexico. It may have been a mental health issue or a physical health issue that affected his ability to teach, and he may never have fully recovered. This trip may have been his last effort (in his mind) to reclaim his standing as an academic, and his self-worth is likely riding on that standing. His academic degrees were well-earned, and he had to be committed to succeed in challenging disciplines. To (maybe) not be able to continue at a professorial level would have been such a difficult blow, IMO.

He seems to have a lovely family. MOO, but I don't think this was cover for an affair or even a conscious attempt to ditch the family and start over. I think he chose not to return until he succeeded. He may have disappeared after that decision due to an accident, self-harm or foul play. I'm concerned he wasn't thinking clearly and would have been an easy target. MOO. I hope I'm wrong.

I wondered this, too. I just don't think he abandoned his family to start a new life. Can't make that connection in my head for some reason. I'm locked on suicide or car accident. I do hope someday his family (and we) have an answer --- especially, his family. Very anxious for an ID on the body in Malibu.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back