CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
They must have never opened the windows in that house.......the houses are so close together..........I say....a whiff would have been likely.

Their family background isn't that particular denomination, is it? I read that the Church of God had a lot of different splinter churches with varying beliefs?

It's a free country. You can have a dirty house if you want, so long as you don't endanger others.

I am still disturbed by the Disney pictures. They are all posing with one of the characters in the park but no pictures of going on the rides, enjoying a snack/drink/treat, waiting in line for an adventure, none of the other things one would expect to see a family enjoying at a theme park. It is just "posing" for the façade they wanted to portray but where is the true enjoyment of the adventure?

We don't know though. They may not have purchased some of those pics, or, those pics are not shared to the public on their profile. I see no camera with them either. (I pack around some sort of camera everywhere I go.) . The pics, that I'm seeing, I think are "landmark" pictures. You stand in a designated spot, and Disney takes your family's picture, and you pay for them. You can purchase a package that takes picks of you on all of the rides, and spots, otherwise, you have to purchase each picture separately. You can snap them yourself, but with some pics , it's neat to have the whole family in there.) At least, if memory serves, that is how it is at DW.

Same here. Seeing friends’ parents speak to them softly and gently. Still took years to figure it all out.

I think that the young lady who stayed with us for a bit, between apt. finding, said her wake-up call was around 13. She felt that something was not right about her well-respected father making night time visits, but thought maybe that was how it was in all homes. When she found out differently, (mother flew the coop early in her life), she told a teacher, Iirc. He went to prison, and she got shunned by the family. So it was bouncing from foster home, to foster home, for her.

Well, I am feeling a little sick reading up on To Train Up a Child. I feel like I'm reading a Turpin playbook. You could say it fits to a "t".

The authors unapologetically compare child rearing to dog training. I don't know that I can read much more. They seem to advocate the things like leaving food out to supposedly train kids to live with temptation. Or something.

The book has seemingly been featured in multiple child murder cases.

Here is a link to blog review that tries to be unbiased and also includes link to read book text.

http://www.abeautifulruckus.com/2013/05/how-not-to-train-up-child.html?m=1

ETA second link that actually includes text link and mentions deaths

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ba...child-teaches-punishment-that-kills-kids/amp/

I think that the occasional "happy family" group photos were for the purpose of showing LT and DT's respective families on Facebook that all was well in CA, lest there be any questions. It seems to have been a plan that worked, as no one from either family notified authorities about any suspicions.....or asked for a welfare check. Were the kids ever NAMED on FB? I bet that even the family members who saw the photos could not identify all of the Turpin kids by name or even by age. JMO

Also the photo postings on FB seemed to have stopped in mid-2016 after both LT's parents passed away. That is significant because that would lead me to believe that the FB poses were only for LT's parents. Also before the FB account was taken down, I think I recall that there was a "Mothers Day" posting from 2016 that seemed to re-post photos from Oct 2015. I can't recall that there were any recent postings actually taken in 2016, 2017 or early 2018. If I'm mistaken, please let me know. The FB was taken down within hours of me looking at it so I could be mistaken.

As a homeowner and former social worker I can say: It depends. If they were renting then the landlord could've had them evicted. It's a long process, though. We had to evict someone for living in similar conditions in one of our houses and it was very expensive and took almost a year to get them out (and they hadn't even paid rent in 6 months so there was that on top of the filth). Nothing ever moves quickly in the court system.

As far as them owning the house, it would be dependent upon a) how it was affecting the rest of the neighborhood b) safety concerns and c) if there were any structural problems. There is nothing illegal with having a dirty house. People's various definitions of "dirty" make it subjective. If they were hoarding garbage or something that was causing a pest or insect infestation then they'd first be given a warning to clean it up. Then, eventually, they'd get fined. From there it may be condemned but there are several more steps involved and, like I said, could take a long time. With the feces and stuff on the walls and the dirty diapers everywhere, the city could come in and cite a safety violation, or unsanitary conditions, and make them clean it up. If they didn't steps may be taken to foreclose on them. (But, again, that would be the last thing they'd do.) Lastly, if there are structural problems caused by their lack of maintenance or abuse of the home then they would probably be violating codes. The inspector could come in, fine them, give them a timeframe in which they can make the necessary changes, etc.

If the city deemed it uninhabitable until the changes are made then they wouldn't be allowed to live in it until they did whatever they were told to do.

All of this is really dependent upon where you live. In their neighborhood, a nice one, the city would probably be more proactive about making them clean things up and may be more serious about enforcing the rules. Where I live, nothing in their houses that I've seen (including the awful one in Texas) would be enough to have anyone in there writing them up unless there was a child or elderly person in the home. A lot worse than that goes on around here (I know, it's hard to believe) but I am also extremely rural and people keep to themselves so things tend to be more lax.

Even as a social worker, when I got a "dirty house" case, it still took forever to get the city to do anything and most of the time nothing happened. Just watch an episode of "Hoarders." Those folks get away with all kinds of crap (literally) and that's not just for TV.

ETA: vmmking made a good point. They are MUCH more likely to be proactive if there is a child, elderly person, or person with disabilities living in the home.

For code enforcement in California to red tag or yellow tag a building, usually there has to be some sort of external problems that are visible to surrounding neighbors. Most of the time I have seen it involves some building modification that is never completed so there are hazards all over the yard. The only other time I've seen it is when a meth lab is going on inside a residence. I have heard of cases when government gets involved when people are living in uninhabitable space like a garage, but that is really hard to detect.

Usually code enforcement is only called when the trash starts to pile up in the yard. Also, to even go inside a residence, code enforcement is somewhat hesitant because the issue involves whether they are allowed to enter a residence. Because code enforcement is usually a police officer that is working for the local Planning/Building department, sometimes it really takes forever for any action to be taken even in extreme cases of hoarding.

I am wondering about the Vegas and Disney trips and how it was for the children to see all those restaurants and smell the food.I somehow do not think they actually ate there and how hard it was for them to smell all the foods after starving for so long.It must have been a torture for them

Im catching up so it may have already been said but IMO there is a 12th child with back to the camera between the other children as indicated by my very poorly drawn arrow.

MOO
8b6d40159188e9a2ce9beb3a6d578787.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You would think the graduate would be in the center of the picture, as my children were when they graduated high school and then college. But not here, it’s all about the breeder.

I think you are right about a child not facing the camera. Other than that I notice that their clothes don't seem to fit them properly. They also have the same stance or similar stances in every photo, unnatural posing, not touching each other (unless told to?). And their hair always seem to be poorly washed or combed.

A horrible thought just crossed my mind when I read this..... I wonder if they were allowed clothes in the house? I hate even thinking about this!

I think that the young lady who stayed with us for a bit, between apt. finding, said her wake-up call was around 13. She felt that something was not right about her well-respected father making night time visits, but thought maybe that was how it was in all homes. When she found out differently, (mother flew the coop early in her life), she told a teacher, Iirc. He went to prison, and she got shunned by the family. So it was bouncing from foster home, to foster home, for her.

It’s heartbreaking.

One time in college, I spent the night with a woman on staff and her children. I can’t remember why exactly, but I slept on the couch. The next morning, this wonderful woman came into the living room and, speaking just above a whisper, said “wake up, sweetie.” That stayed with me for weeks. It had never happened to me before and I was 20 or 21. I almost cried at the love she expressed through that one sentence. I hope someone is saying something just as wonderful to these survivors.

Well, I am feeling a little sick reading up on To Train Up a Child. I feel like I'm reading a Turpin playbook. You could say it fits to a "t".

The authors unapologetically compare child rearing to dog training. I don't know that I can read much more. They seem to advocate the things like leaving food out to supposedly train kids to live with temptation. Or something.

The book has seemingly been featured in multiple child murder cases.

Here is a link to blog review that tries to be unbiased and also includes link to read book text.

http://www.abeautifulruckus.com/2013/05/how-not-to-train-up-child.html?m=1

ETA second link that actually includes text link and mentions deaths

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ba...child-teaches-punishment-that-kills-kids/amp/

That’s exactly what it’s like and that’s what the Duggars did with their 19 kids. Fortunately, it appears that at least one of their adult daughters is not using that method with her own children. I pray none of them are.

Thank you vmmking. Well stated. I sometimes find myself doing so, too, and get annoyed at myself. It is still prevalent thought, though, in quite a few, modern day, young women, that men are not capable of caring for children.

My son in law is home with his year old son during the day while my daughter teaches, then goes to work when she comes home. Everyone (myself included) praise him for this. Well, I am trying to stop seeing this as some wonderful experiment, it is a wonderful experience. A natural experience that I wish more young families could embrace.

I agree. Both sides of the Turpin family are from West Virginia. I remember reading one of the first articles on the family background and it stated that Louise's father was a preacher for the local Church of God. Today, the Daily Mail has an article about the "Church of God With Signs Following in West Virginia.

I'm assuming that the Church of God With Signs Following is a branch of the Church of God. In this article it states that there's an annual outdoor service in which the pastor dances with a venomous snake. Sometimes the pastor gets bitten and very ill, sometimes they die. They believe that once bitten by the snake, it's God's will whether they die of the poisonous venom or not.

Here's a link to the Daily Mail article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ield-venomous-SNAKES-Americas-Bible-Belt.html

I think both of the Turpins were raised in a religion that was/is outside the beliefs of mainstream religions. Randy Turpin's belief in fasting is something the Turpin survivors shouldn't be exposed to, along with any other beliefs that might be harmful, like the practices of the religious group that dances with snakes.

I hope the case workers understand that allowing the minor children to be adopted by the parent's relatives wouldn't be in the children's best interests. I think the best possible scenario is adoption by someone who will keep all six together and allow them contact with their adult siblings.

I hope the adult children will one day be able to be together under one roof, and I think that's a reasonable goal. The oldest boy went through 2 semesters at college and pulled down a 3.7 grade point average. He could complete his education and get a job that could help support his siblings. All the siblings could one day be employed. With a combined income they could afford a home and all the expenses that come with it.

Not being snarky, but, I've not seen anything in the media, that has stated that her parents, nor his, were handlers of venomous snakes. I attended Full Holiness Pentecostal as a child, and then, later, Church of God (Pentecostal). No snakes were present, venomous or non-venomous.

The extremely small number of folks who hold this belief, do not allow children into the area, when the handling is done. One must be 18+ to decide if they want to handle them, no one is forced to handle them. It is strictly voluntary and not even done at every service. I personally am not into it, and know no one who is, it's that rare, but they're grown adults. It baffles me, but, I'm also baffled by the folks who hoard them, as a sort of hobby, I guess.
Snake handling pastor allows interviewer to come into church.
https://www.npr.org/2013/10/04/226838383/snake-handling-preachers-open-up-about-takin-up-serpents

100 venomous snakes, and eight alligators, seized from home in densely populated, residential neighborhood.
http://fox6now.com/2017/07/09/100-v...les-seized-from-california-home-man-arrested/

There was an alligator found, frozen to death, on the shore of Ky's Cumberland River not long ago, it likely outgrew it's cuteness. Not the first time, either, that folks got tired of their gators, and tossed them into the waters here.

Just a side note on fasting. Fasting does not mean that one cannot eat at all,nor does it mean that you force it on your children. The brother's children looked like normal weight, happy, healthy, children. I fast for lent and it's 46 days long. So, yeah, I do eat. I have known folks who pray and fast but it's not like anything that the T parents have been doing. That's not fasting. That's abuse. I'd be more likely to think that LT had a food issue herself ,and was handing it down, and forcing it onto her kids (possible fear of them getting obese). People with food issues can worry about calorie intake, even if they do gain weight themselves. They can also flip back and forth. Go on weird diets, or have their stomachs stapled, lose weight, then put it all back on. A love/hate relationship with food.

It truly is. I can't tell you to how many uncomfortable fathers I've had to explain that their preschool age son isn't gay or whatever because he plays with the classroom dolls!

I go with this rule of thumb, accessed today from https://goo.gl/images/Pf2uAD
ac2e3762e8b7d6517cae170c512c1fd0.jpg

Love, love, love this post! Fathers freak out when they come in and their son is in a princess dress!

They must have never opened the windows in that house.......the houses are so close together..........I say....a whiff would have been likely.

Oh yeah. If it's as bad as they say it was, the folks who sold them 10 boxes of scout cookies had to smell something when they opened the door.

For code enforcement in California to red tag or yellow tag a building, usually there has to be some sort of external problems that are visible to surrounding neighbors. Most of the time I have seen it involves some building modification that is never completed so there are hazards all over the yard. The only other time I've seen it is when a meth lab is going on inside a residence. I have heard of cases when government gets involved when people are living in uninhabitable space like a garage, but that is really hard to detect.

Usually code enforcement is only called when the trash starts to pile up in the yard. Also, to even go inside a residence, code enforcement is somewhat hesitant because the issue involves whether they are allowed to enter a residence. Because code enforcement is usually a police officer that is working for the local Planning/Building department, sometimes it really takes forever for any action to be taken even in extreme cases of hoarding.

Same here. It has to get pretty bad outside (drawing mosquitoes, snake infestation, and such, out in the county) for them to get involved. Usually a neighbor has to get other neighbors involved and take go through the courts. I've been in places that I'd not allow my dog to stay in, and even placed a wellness call on one because it was so bad, but, nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member