GA GA - Jenna Van Gelderen, 25, Atlanta, 18 Aug 2017 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lived right on Lindbergh for the past 5 years and now closer to where her parents stay actually, I drive past her apartment location every single day on my way home from work and I am the same age as her so I’ve always followed this case, just never commented. I do have a comment now however! There seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding how townhouse guy and college park but could be the same person. I think it’s very likely based off of the fact that his number is linked to the instagram with the pimping activity in mention, a lot of people who are involved in drug dealing and other illegal activities in Atlanta have “trap houses” or essentially homes not connected to there Names that they might sell drugs out of down in the less desirable parts of town like college park, but then stay up north of the city near buckhead or Lindbergh area since it’s a bit removed from that so more descreet. Cheshire bridge though which is the area she lived off and also where that Wendy’s is located is a little sketchy, there are a lot of prostitutes that walk around and a lot of weird after hour bars and strip clubs. I really wish the very best for her and her family I think of this case often since I am so familiar with the areas. But I wouldn’t feel safe at all hanging around the manipulative characters involved in all that. They might make you feel special or something but you can’t trust a second of it. Just my input.
Welcome Sarahnel. What you say makes sense and is what I thought. Let's hope something will come of these searches in the woods mentioned up thread.

I lived right on Lindbergh for the past 5 years and now closer to where her parents stay actually, I drive past her apartment location every single day on my way home from work and I am the same age as her so I’ve always followed this case, just never commented. I do have a comment now however! There seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding how townhouse guy and college park but could be the same person. I think it’s very likely based off of the fact that his number is linked to the instagram with the pimping activity in mention, a lot of people who are involved in drug dealing and other illegal activities in Atlanta have “trap houses” or essentially homes not connected to there Names that they might sell drugs out of down in the less desirable parts of town like college park, but then stay up north of the city near buckhead or Lindbergh area since it’s a bit removed from that so more descreet. Cheshire bridge though which is the area she lived off and also where that Wendy’s is located is a little sketchy, there are a lot of prostitutes that walk around and a lot of weird after hour bars and strip clubs. I really wish the very best for her and her family I think of this case often since I am so familiar with the areas. But I wouldn’t feel safe at all hanging around the manipulative characters involved in all that. They might make you feel special or something but you can’t trust a second of it. Just my input.

Welcome Sarahnel....good to have a local commenting.

Welcome Sarahnel. What you say makes sense and is what I thought. Let's hope something will come of these searches in the woods mentioned up thread.

Thank you all for the welcome! I hope something comes of the search of the woods for the pure sake of some closure for this family, but I as I’m sure many others thought the best hope for this case (which is still horrendous) would have been a trafficking across state lines so that they could follow a trail and eventually bring her home safely.... a local search in the woods sounds grim to me, I hate that that’s the course this has taken. Holding onto hope for my first theory I hope that they don’t find anything sinister today. Maybe whoever took her had trafficking as an intention but then realized she would be actively looked for and was actually cared about. It worries me that they are searching inside Atlanta. Prayers for the family today.

Thank you all for the welcome! I hope something comes of the search of the woods for the pure sake of some closure for this family, but I as I’m sure many others thought the best hope for this case (which is still horrendous) would have been a trafficking across state lines so that they could follow a trail and eventually bring her home safely.... a local search in the woods sounds grim to me, I hate that that’s the course this has taken. Holding onto hope for my first theory I hope that they don’t find anything sinister today. Maybe whoever took her had trafficking as an intention but then realized she would be actively looked for and was actually cared about. It worries me that they are searching inside Atlanta. Prayers for the family today.

It only mentions woods. They may not be in Atlanta. :frown: :crying:
Anyone know of any ongoing search efforts or the public helping?

Agonizing and heartbreaking for Jenna's family. Finally people are starting to talk and there seems to be a focal point for the investigation. Thanking Jenna's Dad for the update and praying for Jenna and her family.

New update by Jenna's dad ~ 1 hr ago:
"Out searching with miracle woman- Trace Sergeant (featured in AJC) who volunteers with trained dogs to do searches and has had many positive results. If anyone wants to donate= www.helpfindmissinpersons.com"

@Shiressleuth. I have heard no other mention of any other searches or outreach for public assistance. With police involved in the search, there must be some credible tips or evidence to work with. Wondering which police jurisdiction, Dekalb County, Atlanta City, or other. So difficult for the family, but I hope they are able to find closure soon.

@Shiressleuth. I live in a neighborhood close to Jenna's family. I heard about the case initially on Nextdoor, right after Jenna went missing. I have followed closely on WS. I'm still perplexed about the lack of media coverage, what appears to be poor LE handling of the case, and relatively few updates. I commend Subie for his efforrs to bring awareness to Jenna's disappearance and his willingness to share information on this site initially. found the Vanished podcast to be a very good interview with some new information offered by Jenna's dad that I was not aware of previously. I'm happy to be able to become an active participant on WS!
Hi Atlmom- welcome. We have no info that LE mis-managed this case. On the contrary, many of us here have been extremely frustrated with conflicting information, extreme changes in information, and lack of information. Even with a VI, the info did not come easily. My opinion, LE was even more challenged and frustrated with conflicting info.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

@henry2326. I agree with you- we don't know what information LE has collected, or at what point in time, and rightfully so. And very true, there has been a lot of conflicting information which has likely been challenging to LE. But you took my statement out of context..... I stated "what appears to be poor LE handling of the case", which IMO was very true early on. Never did I state a direct accusation that "LE mishandled" the case. A matter of semantics, I suppose. But IMO, some of the LE oversights and mistakes made early on were unacceptable.

Initially, the family had to push LE to take the case seriously. I / we don't know what the last few months of the investigation have produced as facts have been scant. The Vanished podcast was excellent. Jenna's dad was very forthcoming and expressed his frustration with the "less than desirable" LE investigation, and stated many reasons to support his statement. I'd recommend listening to it if you haven't already. I also feel that at the point when Jenna's brother was asked to hold back on commenting publicly on the investigation, LE was on to something or somebody. It's just been slow going.

I feel for the frustration and heartbreak that Jenna's family has experienced. I'm glad to see there appears to be progress in the case and hope today's search provides information that will be helpful in solving the case and bringing closure to the family. Prayers to Jenna's family.

@henry2326. I agree with you- we don't know what information LE has collected, or at what point in time, and rightfully so. And very true, there has been a lot of conflicting information which has likely been challenging to LE. But you took my statement out of context..... I stated "what appears to be poor LE handling of the case", which IMO was very true early on. Never did I state a direct accusation that "LE mishandled" the case. A matter of semantics, I suppose. But IMO, some of the LE oversights and mistakes made early on were unacceptable.

Initially, the family had to push LE to take the case seriously. I / we don't know what the last few months of the investigation have produced as facts have been scant. The Vanished podcast was excellent. Jenna's dad was very forthcoming and expressed his frustration with the "less than desirable" LE investigation, and stated many reasons to support his statement. I'd recommend listening to it if you haven't already. I also feel that at the point when Jenna's brother was asked to hold back on commenting publicly on the investigation, LE was on to something or somebody. It's just been slow going.

I feel for the frustration and heartbreak that Jenna's family has experienced. I'm glad to see there appears to be progress in the case and hope today's search provides information that will be helpful in solving the case and bringing closure to the family. Prayers to Jenna's family.
Hi Atlmom- I'm currently participating in 250 cases on this site and have participated in over 1000 since May. That is only the tip of the iceberg. There are many wonderful people on this site who help and participate for years and have extensive knowledge in missing cases.

If I had a dollar for every time a family member said that LE was not doing enough, I would receive quite a nest egg. Bless them, they are in agony and LE is the closest target.

I feel for the families and correspond with several who log on here. I tend to look for confirmation from other sources. Unfortunately, there was very little info on this case. Typically this scenario doesn't have a happy ending. Hope Jenna is found.

How can they be searching for someone not officially missing? (Not on GBI or Atlanta missing persons list.)

As per Jenna's father:

"No luck yesterday.

This is a double tragedy.

Jenna is named after an aunt , a single professional woman; age 30 who was transported to Auschwitz with Anne Frank as shown in her museum. (nos. 336 and 339)The aunt survived the liberation of Auschwitz per recent information I received and went missing afterwards in Poland probably dying in a hospital- I search for records on her too.

Maybe this will motivate someone to tell what they know."

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

This, apart from missing Jenna, really breaks my heart.....I know story's of the murdering of whole families in the camps, just from a few survivors and the hurt of later generation's and the horrific stories of people who's parents were wrong in the war and still feel sooooo quilty...pfffff...crying for all of them, and Jenna, in silence.

Hi Atlmom- welcome. We have no info that LE mis-managed this case. On the contrary, many of us here have been extremely frustrated with conflicting information, extreme changes in information, and lack of information. Even with a VI, the info did not come easily. My opinion, LE was even more challenged and frustrated with conflicting info.

LE told the family she was found when she wasn’t. And they just got phone pings from one of her phones in January! Not to mention, failing to interview key POI’s/witnesses for weeks. Not doing forensics on moms car or the house.

I don’t see any of these things as standard procedure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LE told the family she was found when she wasn’t. And they just got phone pings from one of her phones in January! Not to mention, failing to interview key POI’s/witnesses for weeks. Not doing forensics on moms car or the house.

I don’t see any of these things as standard procedure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Im going to agree with Henry on this one. There are no hard facts to prove this. Its word of mouth. I remember reading somewhere that LE were quoted as saying they never said she was found. As for the phone pings, they probably had this info a long time ago but they dont want to be giving evetything away. Is it standard procedure to fingerprint a house 48hrs after someone has gone missing? I dont know so i am genuinely asking. If LE were led to believe (like we were at the start), that Jenna was very secretive and hid things from her family then i can see why things may have been slow going at the start. Im guessing, that any action LE take i.e searches and fingerprinting has to be backed up with evidence backing the need to do these costly exercises? I dont know much about how these things work but its just me trying to look at it from LEs point of view for a change.

ETA: LE's quote is stated in post #1 regarding 'never said we had found her.... etc etc'

I have just come across this news story that would be good to share here. Though its unrelated directly to Jenna, its an avenue that has been brought up here on the thread. Though The Sun is known to fabricate stories, this is one of those that does happen and is everywhere. Im hoping Jenna wasnt living this way before her disappearence as her last known living arrangements were a bit sketchy.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5485166/sex-for-rent-london-landlords-craigslist/

I have just come across this news story that would be good to share here. Though its unrelated directly to Jenna, its an avenue that has been brought up here on the thread. Though The Sun is known to fabricate stories, this is one of those that does happen and is everywhere. Im hoping Jenna wasnt living this way before her disappearence as her last known living arrangements were a bit sketchy.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5485166/sex-for-rent-london-landlords-craigslist/

Creepy ugly buggers I bet. How can they even get away with putting "women only" in the ads?

You have a point and poor J didn't even have her own bed. And look how he was when family wanted to search?
A sex4rent scam yet all her friends knew where she lived, so wouldn't they know?

Have to admit, I could never understand why she left home after she lost her pet store job.

Maybe thats where she has gone? To another dodgy roommate, but has come to harm this time. :frown:

Like the new sunset avatar.

Creepy ugly buggers I bet. How can they even get away with putting "women only" in the ads?

You have a point and poor J didn't even have her own bed. And look how he was when family wanted to search?
A sex4rent scam yet all her friends knew where she lived, so wouldn't they know?

Have to admit, I could never understand why she left home after she lost her pet store job.

Maybe thats where she has gone? To another dodgy roommate, but has come to harm this time. :frown:

So is there indication she was participating in this, or is it just a "could be something like this" thing? Either way, these are somebody's daughters. I have 14 & 18yr olds. Just the thought of this makes me nauseous. :(

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk

So is there indication she was participating in this, or is it just a "could be something like this" thing? Either way, these are somebody's daughters. I have 14 & 18yr olds. Just the thought of this makes me nauseous. :(

Ive not seen any actual evidence. However, we have been told she lived in an apartment with a man but the family never knew where. The roomate wouldnt let anyone in and when they (being the PI i think) was allowed in there was no bedroom furniture or anything and she supposedly slept on the floor IIRC. I think it was discussed before as a 'what if..' situation.

ETA: I was strongly against the trafficking theory at the start but i do see this sex4rent scam as a possibility as she was looking for somewhere to live as she disappeared. If we knew more about the roomate we would know what his intentions were. Everything is all speculation at the moment. Its heart breaking :(

Just speculation but based on the fact she had no income, no job and an arsehole for a roommate. MOO.

Makes too much sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members