CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have several hundred thousands of dollars of money in donations. Do they have to spemd that down first and then they will get help from the govt?

Usually when you get govt help, you can have a tiny bit of assets. Those are utilized first, Does anyone know?

Or since they were under the father’s health plan, can they pay for it for 18 months and then get kicked off?

Or is there some kind of other health plan they could get to cover their intense needs for years?

I believe the donations and charity will be their primary source of help, until it runs out. Then they will qualify for government benefits. Probably California General Assistance which would provide each of them with about $221 a month in cash assistance, and about $190 a month in food stamps. Which is basically nothing with California's high cost of living.

I believe the donations and charity will be their primary source of help, until it runs out. Then they will qualify for government benefits. Probably California General Assistance which would provide each of them with about $221 a month in cash assistance, and about $190 a month in food stamps. Which is basically nothing with California's high cost of living.

Wow. A whole $221 a month and $190 in food support.,Even if five of them lived together they would not afford a place to live.

I don't want to go too far off topic but some people don't use shampoo to wash their hair. I went off shampoo years ago. Instead, I use a vinegar rinse with just a little bit of baking soda to rub into my scalp. I do the same to my daughter's hair. Mine has never looked healthier/better. The Turpins could have used something similar. They were all about appearances so I could see them keeping the girls' hair looking good. Ugly, greasy, ratty hair doesn't look good in pictures (though you can't smell unclean bodies through the computer).

In some countries (rural India for example) people almost never wash their hair and still look great. DT seemed to have good and thick hair despite the dreadful haircut, and his sons and certainly some daughters at least (more difficult to judge) inherited it. What I mean is that people with thick hair can get off with no washing or seldom washing it.

[48 hours without washing my hair and it looks as if a rat drowned in oil came to expire on my head :gaah:]

Looks to me like that leg lines up fine.

I agree that that leg could line up with the middle boy.
All about the angle.
Then saw a leg behind LT´s left leg that I cannot account for.
Again, could be the angle.

BTW, who took those photos for them? Who was standing with the camera?

Home checks for homeschool families, is only excessive for those who have something to hide. If your children are happy healthy and learning, you should not have a problem with state verification of that fact. On the other hand for somebody like the Turpins, whose children were not happy, not healthy, and not learning, checks would be a big problem. There is no way they could have continued the abuse as long as they did, if there was any checks.

<modsnip>

Do you believe this is the only change that could have prevented this from happening? I don&#8217;t have anything to hide in my home or about my homeschooling my children and I find home checks excessive. I also am not looking to argue or exchange strongly worded posts. We can agree to disagree; but my children are regularly seen by a physician, dentist etc. At some point, somewhere, one of these children had some type of care outside the home...glasses.

I am only saying that this one facet of their life can&#8217;t be the only one we scrutinize and say could have change the course of their paths, solely. If this is the case, family members who spent time with them are just as culpable, in my opinion.

All of these things are my opinion only. I believe we have been redirected from the homeschool conversation. Someone did, at one point, question the son&#8217;s ability to attend college without a diploma. One of my biggest points, in my post, was to highlight that most community colleges do not require a high school diploma to enroll. I believe many on here understood my original post and agree that focusing solely on that one area and putting all of the &#8220;what ifs&#8221; in that basket and then, in turn, calling for an overhaul of a system that works for most using it, is excessive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you believe this is the only change that could have prevented this from happening? I don’t have anything to hide in my home or about my homeschooling my children and I find home checks excessive. I also am not looking to argue or exchange strongly worded posts. We can agree to disagree; but my children are regularly seen by a physician, dentist etc. At some point, somewhere, one of these children had some type of care outside the home...glasses.

I am only saying that this one facet of their life can’t be the only one we scrutinize and say could have change the course of their paths, solely. If this is the case, family members who spent time with them are just as culpable, in my opinion.

All of these things are my opinion only. I believe we have been redirected from the homeschool conversation. Someone did, at one point, question the son’s ability to attend college without a diploma. One of my biggest points, in my post, was to highlight that most community colleges do not require a high school diploma to enroll. I believe many on here understood my original post and agree that focusing solely on that one area and putting all of the “what ifs” in that basket and then, in turn, calling for an overhaul of a system that works for most using it, is excessive.

Yes, I believe that is the ONLY change that could have prevented this from happening. How do you propose that we protect children like this, if we can't even check on them to make sure they are still alive?

We have compulsory education laws in this country. Nobody is exempt, not even homeschool parents. The government needs to start doing their job and making sure that homeschool children are healthy and getting their legally required education. Trust is not enough. Homeschool parents need to prove they are complying with the law.

“The same laws that allow parents to create these thriving innovative settings allow parents like the Turpins to create private torture homes because there’s no accountability.”

Quote from beginning of Mother Jones article at beginning of thread.

Homeschools aren't particularly prevalent in the US, to my knowledge. I'm sure it could vary widely by state for a variety of reasons.

The religious freedom it offers parents seems to make it popular with fundamentalists. But there are parents who choose to school their children at home in a way that provides a far richer experience than kids could get at the local public or private traditional school.

I stumbled on this OT article. It is going to be controversial too, but it says less than 2% of kids are homeschooled in my state.
https://www.google.com/amp/host.mad...169da185-0095-53ef-81f1-986131c3bdc5.amp.html
The article mentions "unschooling" as a concept which I heard of in relation to a different large family neglect case (Nicole Naugler http://m.wave3.com/wave/pm_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=od:yrWwBDI5 )

Imho, in general, the homeschools are like private and public schools and even unschooling apparently. There are a few that are top notch and few at the bottom of the barrel, but most exist in the gray area in between.

I do see a theme of abuse in the fundamentalist patriarchal system. I see them as a disproportionate number of homeschoolers, imo. If they don't train the kids young this way at home, they find a "boarding school" to do it later. And that seems to be protected not so much by laws, but by powerful lobbies that hide behind religious freedom. My opinion, of course. Though, this was also in early Mother Jones article,
In recent years, lawmakers in at least five states have tried to pass measures to make homeschools more accountable. None so far have been successful, even in places with documented abuse. In 2015 in Michigan, which did not require parents to register their schools with the state, two children were found dead in a freezer in Detroit after, prosecutors said, their mother abused them and pulled them out of public school to homeschool them. The incident sparked a legislative effort that year to establish minimum reporting requirements, such as requiring kids to meet with a doctor, teacher, or other individuals twice a year and keeping records on which kids are homeschooled in the district. But the proposal failed to get even a hearing. Ellen Heinitz, the legislative director for Michigan Rep. Stephanie Chang, the lawmaker who introduced the measure and faced a barrage of angry phone calls from homeschooling parents, told ProPublica that year: “I’ve never seen a lobby more powerful and scary. They make the anti-vaxxers seem rational.”
bbm
https://www.motherjones.com/crime-j...d-weak-homeschooling-rules-helped-them-do-it/

In the Turpin case, LT & DT seem to have taken the worst of the fundamentalist thinking and twisted it for their own pleasure.

Something else that keeps itching at the back of my brain while I think about how to stop these cases in their tracks. Years ago when safe surrender laws started taking effect, some states, iirc, initially allowed safe surrender of children & infants in addition to newborns. And it was a disaster, wasn't it? The laws were quickly changed? It seems the US doesn't know what to do with problem kids who grow up to be problem parents who can't teach the next generation.

I was reading a lot of quotes on evil last night, too. Evil does seem to be the problem here. Evil will find a way around a law.

All about the angle.

Lots of folks do some great photography from home studios. I know I wouldn't want to admit to being the person behind the camera, friend or not, after what the Elvis Tribute Artist endured in SM. But I'm really really curious myself, too.

All about the angle.

BBM - I'm sure it was a Disney photographer. They're all over the parks, and you can buy packages with your tickets to have photos taken at prime locations.

BBM - I'm sure it was a Disney photographer. They're all over the parks, and you can buy packages with your tickets to have photos taken at prime locations.

Are the "Thing" pictures from Disneyland?

Are the "Thing" pictures from Disneyland?

Nah, I don't think so, at least. Maybe on the road to and from with a timer. Eta: could be some other landmark?

Imo the blue shirts are definitely a studio, makeshift or otherwise. I think these have a different finesse to them that makes me think there was a photographer other than LT/DT for these.

But I've learned a lot from other posters about the nature of the Disney shots.

I also wonder if it is DT who took the grad pic from '07. It certainly could be and probably makes the most sense, but could it be someone else who also had a graduate in the building that day?

Yes, I believe that is the ONLY change that could have prevented this from happening. How do you propose that we protect children like this, if we can't even check on them to make sure they are still alive?

We have compulsory education laws in this country. Nobody is exempt, not even homeschool parents. The government needs to start doing their job and making sure that homeschool children are healthy and getting their legally required education. Trust is not enough. Homeschool parents need to prove they are complying with the law.

Yes times one million

I may be the only one who thought from the very first glance at the Disney photos...that the family was never really there. And that the photos were done using some app where you could insert a photo onto a Disney-themed template and even photoshop disney characters with faces, etc. I don't think they really went there. As mentioned, there are no other non-posed photos of any of the family other then the staged photos. I googled this concept and founds apps that do exactly this, including inserting Disney characters with different faces. The father Turpin was a computer geek so he could do this.

I also don't know how this family could afford to get to ... and pay entrance fees...for 13 people. Did they drive, assuming it's the CA Disney. Where did they stay? It's expensive. All in one room? Did they all go in one car? Was it a one day trip? With all of the folks on this thread questioning the limbs missing in these photos, it does make me wonder. Do a bit of googling and see what you find and think.

I may be the only one who thought from the very first glance at the Disney photos...that the family was never really there. And that the photos were done using some app where you could insert a photo onto a Disney-themed template and even photoshop disney characters with faces, etc. I don't think they really went there. As mentioned, there are no other non-posed photos of any of the family other then the staged photos. I googled this concept and founds apps that do exactly this, including inserting Disney characters with different faces. The father Turpin was a computer geek so he could do this.

I also don't know how this family could afford to get to ... and pay entrance fees...for 13 people. Did they drive, assuming it's the CA Disney. Where did they stay? It's expensive. All in one room? Did they all go in one car? Was it a one day trip? With all of the folks on this thread questioning the limbs missing in these photos, it does make me wonder. Do a bit of googling and see what you find and think.

Knowing what we know about the seclusion and isolation and hiding the children from the public, it doesn't compute for these same parents to take all of their children out in such a public forum. There would be too much risk and too many opportunities for just one to flee and ask for help.

Or maybe, just the two Turpin's went for a day while they locked down all the children at home. They got photos of themselves while there and then photoshopped the children into the photos.

...cringing at the thought but I don't think we can even imagine what these parents did and what went on in that house

Good questions.

The Turpins are no strangers to using themed templates as can be seen here:
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Turpins 7.png
    Turpins 7.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,146
  • Turpins 9.png
    Turpins 9.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,164
Posts containing generalized discussion about homeschooling will be removed.

Please keep all discussion about homeschooling limited to how it relates specifically to this case.

Thanks.

Good questions.

The Turpins are no strangers to using themed templates as can be seen here:
attachment.php
attachment.php

I'm having a hard time nailing it down right now, but I believe the story behind those bull riding pics is that they revisited the same photo booth. They even used one as a Christmas card. Definitely weird, but the booth probably only had one crowd backdrop.

They have various Vegas shots too and at least the vow renewal has an outside person who can corroborate that they were all there. Pics of them in lobby of Circus Circus and Bellagio.

Weird, but not unheard of, it seems.

It seems as if the kids will be able to sue CA for not following the rules, I hope because there is not enough money for them to have any kind of a decent life

Nah, I don't think so, at least. Maybe on the road to and from with a timer. Eta: could be some other landmark?

Imo the blue shirts are definitely a studio, makeshift or otherwise. I think these have a different finesse to them that makes me think there was a photographer other than LT/DT for these.

But I've learned a lot from other posters about the nature of the Disney shots.

I also wonder if it is DT who took the grad pic from '07. It certainly could be and probably makes the most sense, but could it be someone else who also had a graduate in the building that day?

Do Disney pics have watermarks or something to prevent people from using them for free?

They could have asked a random person to take the pic. Tourists here do that all of the time. Assembling so many people for a picture would take a long tine . Not sure who would want to stand around for that

Aren’t they able to download the forensics on photos? It will tell you details about when the photo was taken, what camera they were using, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member