CA CA - Lancaster, WhtFem 1205UFCA , 30-50, in desert, homemade coffin, Dec'68

I sure hope he is doing better now what horrible thing for him to see. I pray God will remove that image . I do not think the lady in the Red Coffin is my sister Madeline Babcock the time line is right but her height is way off Madeline was only 4 foot 11 inches I believe this woman was 5 foot four . God bless you and your son . Madelines sister Pat:seeya:

Thank you. :) my son got the sweetest note from the mother, thanking him for being there with her. She told him she was praying for HIM. Sounds like such I sweet lady. I did find out she is in her 80s. Her son was 56.

I hope you can get some answers on this UID and find out where Madeline is.

Nothing new on dentals yet it will take awhile I have been looking for my sister a steady 46 years from within the week in June when she went missing. I really feel in my heart of hearts Lynn is dead and buried in Camas Washington on private property the daughter contacted me two years ago and the police Sta in Camas can't take the word of a almost 4 year old that witnessed the murder my hands are tied right now God willing he will show me how to get her reburied .Madeline Babcock's blood Sister

Nothing new on dentals yet it will take awhile I have been looking for my sister a steady 46 years from within the week in June when she went missing. I really feel in my heart of hearts Lynn is dead and buried in Camas Washington on private property the daughter contacted me two years ago and the police Sta in Camas can't take the word of a almost 4 year old that witnessed the murder my hands are tied right now God willing he will show me how to get her reburied .Madeline Babcock's blood Sister

Sorry to get off topic from the thread, but that is just ridiculous! If there is someone willing to say they saw something the police should investigate! Absolutely ridiculous!

You Name it I have contacted the President . Secretary of Justice, The FBI, , Eric Holden .and the Justice Dept in California of all the letters Email I received were from Calif. I was told to contact the Gov. Of Washington I did they referred me to Camas Police Dept .I was then told by a high ranking Officer in Charge of Camas area .They cannot take the word of an almost 4 year old girl who saw my sister murdered by her now deceased DAd The woman knew many things about my sister that some one only having been around her would know .The woman hired a back hoe to dig where Madeline was dropped into a sink hole on her Dads property . The road started to collapse and they had to stop . That woman even hired a Private detective to find a relative . The mother does not want people to know that there is a dead body buried on her property it would ruin the sale price . SIC

I am so sorry that you have encountered so many roadblocks in finding your sister Pat. I can only imagine how frustrating and infuriating that would be....have you ever thought of trying to start a viral campaign to bring awareness? Something on Facebook or YouTube always has the chance to gain momentum and pressure LE into taking action! I pray you find your sister and any answers you are looking for. It truly hurts my heart that there are so many unidentified victims, and so many people looking for loved ones.

I am so sorry that you have encountered so many roadblocks in finding your sister Pat. I can only imagine how frustrating and infuriating that would be....have you ever thought of trying to start a viral campaign to bring awareness? Something on Facebook or YouTube always has the chance to gain momentum and pressure LE into taking action! I pray you find your sister and any answers you are looking for. It truly hurts my heart that there are so many unidentified victims, and so many people looking for loved ones.

Yes! What about starting an online petition?

After analysing the first photo of this article I've attached a picture with the approximate location the map says the body was found.

This map is very good. The burial spot would be on 188th St. East, 3/10ths of a mile east of your mark at 185th St East.

Just for the sake of accuracy, the burial site isn't in Lancaster. It's actually east of Palmdale in a community called Llano. There is a golf course (Crystalaire) about 2 miles directly west of the burial site. It's pretty much open desert with a few scattered houses in between the two. It's in Los Angeles county, but very close to the San Bernardino Co line. (Approx. 8 - 10 miles)

DN have added the information that she had auburn, graying hair and that there was a copy of Los Angeles Times dated 7/1/67 in casket.

So she probably wasn't buried earlier than that.

Wonder if it meant anything that they put the newspaper there or was just a practical thing for whatever reason. Could it contain any clues to her identity?

https://identifyus.org/cases/2994
This is a female found in Los Angeles County in December 1968 wearing pajamas and a checkered bathrobe whose stats and physical description are the same (as far as info is given) and the case number matches but Namus says she was found December 08 and not December 27 and her pajamas were blue instead of pink. She had crowns in the front teeth of the upper jaw.

These apparently are the same case. Doenet references the Namus case number and updated the date to December 08. Doenet has much more information.

One ruleout: Verna Smith 1919 California

The bag over the head makes me think that this was a suicide. I think the deceased did not want her loved one to have to see her after she died in such a gruesome manner. This theory could be easily proved or disproved if we knew whether the gunshot went through the head covering or not. If ithe bag was placed after death, then I suspect she did not shoot herself.

The coffin also supports my theory IMO: why decorate the coffin of someone you’ve murdered? If it were a beloved family member who chose to take their own life, then decorating the coffin makes sense.

I wonder if there was any evidence that the woman had a terminal illness. If so, I think that makes suicide or assisted suicide more plausible.

DN have added the information that she had auburn, graying hair and that there was a copy of Los Angeles Times dated 7/1/67 in casket.

So she probably wasn't buried earlier than that.

Wonder if it meant anything that they put the newspaper there or was just a practical thing for whatever reason. Could it contain any clues to her identity?

Unidentified Person Case
This is a female found in Los Angeles County in December 1968 wearing pajamas and a checkered bathrobe whose stats and physical description are the same (as far as info is given) and the case number matches but Namus says she was found December 08 and not December 27 and her pajamas were blue instead of pink. She had crowns in the front teeth of the upper jaw.
I wonder if anyone was able to ever obtain a copy of that newspaper to see if there was any clue at all in it.

I randomly came over this missing woman, Christine McCarter Gill Scott, who was shot in the head by her husband and buried in a box by her son, and thought about this UID, but she was presumably buried about about 30 feet from Piru Creek, and the age is off, so is the PMI.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/28294996

Edit: I found this link, which states that the box Christine was buried in was "cardboard box, 3 feet by 3 feet by 3 and 1/2 feet in size", so she is probably not this UID.

Last edited:
I’m not sure how I have missed this thread. Nothing new to add just some thoughts.

Why paint something red that you want to stay hidden. In the desert. Even buried there’s the risk of something red being seen. I would think the bare wood color would blend much better.

The photo of the coffin is just strange. I can’t even explain why. Something about the way it’s sitting in the hole. I know little of buried coffins so nothing to base this on. I can’t think of any reason for the slats other than to keep the body in place during an upright transport mentioned earlier. I think the wood and nails would have been enough to keep animals out.

Leaning towards assisted suicide of some sort. I just have a hard time with her hair being done for the next morning.

Detectives seek help with red coffin cold case
On Dec. 8, 1968, a group of hunters came across a coffin about 15 feet from the roadway, on 188th Street East, just south of Fort Tejon Road.

“It was behind a tree or bush and could not be seen from the roadway,” Longshore said. “It was covered with dead limbs of trees and rocks and some dirt.”

Longshore said the women’s appearance coupled with how the coffin was constructed led detectives to believe it was a domestic murder.

red-coffin-cold-case-300x238.jpg

red-coffin-cold-case-1-300x292.jpg

red-coffin-cold-case-3-300x246.jpg
Definitely think the person who killed her / put her in the coffin was a loved one. They took the time to construct a coffin *and* paint it, put a pillow in it so she'd be "comfortable" in death, and covered her face, which is very common for killers who know their victims. I think maybe it was an accident and they didn't want to be blamed for a murder or the person who did it felt guilty afterwards.

It's unfortunate to see Verna ruled out considering that her husband was a cabinet maker in 1964.

I did come across this article from a Hayward, CA newspaper
It gives a little more detail but not much.

Attachments

• Dec 10 1968 Daily Review, Hayward CA.PNG
    Dec 10 1968 Daily Review, Hayward CA.PNG
    276.5 KB · Views: 16

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members