CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a report on familial child torture that was referenced in an earlier thread, and I noticed it also referenced in the thread for the Tara siblings who were also subjected to torture abuse. It said that a fairly common thread was forced stress positions (I presume the 'coincidence' that the child will fail to hold the position will be used as an excuse to abuse them further). I'm wondering if the marching (we don't know the details of it other than the alleged sighting of it through a window) might be a form of this kind of abuse. The excuse to the outside world might be exercise, I don't know, but more in a sense of minimalizing what was really going on, but it could also be used as a form of stress abuse on the body of a child that's hungry and malnourished...walk and if you slow down or drop, then you're subject to more punishment.

It could also, in part, be forcing them to do something that does keep them occupied and drain their energy to reduce the siblings talking with each other (if talking was banned, or even if it wasn't it might be hard for them to whisper with each other during the walking periods) and reduce their energy, physically and mentally, for challenging the parents and colluding to challenge the parental authority or escape?

At Hephzibah House we were often forced to march in circles inside or march in place. It is very hard to move a group with one adult to various areas or activities, especially when it was seen as risky or inconvenient to take us outside. At Hephzibah House they said the marching fulfilled the state requirement for Phy Ed. Regardless, you can march many kids for an hour or so in a confined space with minimal supervision and involvement. Thats how I saw it. Something they used when they were short staff and the girls were getting antsy from sitting in a room, often on the floor facing the walls, all day. We had to march in place, knees high, silent, equally spaced while staff wrote letters or read a book. Any deviation was of course a paddling offense, so we just marched until we were ordered to stop.

On DT

From ABC 1/16/2018 http://abcnews.go.com/US/13-siblings-ages-29-held-captive-parents-shackled/story?id=52364267
David Turpin's parents, James and Betty Turpin of West Virginia, told ABC News they are “surprised and shocked” by the allegations against their son and daughter-in-law.

James and Betty Turpin said they hadn't seen their son and daughter-in-law since visiting them in California four to five years ago. But they have kept in touch with them by phone since then, they said.

They said they had not spoken to their grandchildren, saying David Turpin or his wife would often call when they were without the children.

The distraught grandparents added that David and Louise Turpin are considered a good Christian family in their community, saying they can't understand “any of this.”

"God called on them" to have as many children as they did, James and Betty Turpin said of their son and daughter-in-law.

The arrested couple's parents also said the children were given "very strict homeschooling," and that the children would memorize long passages of the bible. Some of the kids' goal was to memorize it in its entirety, the couple said.

The most recent time the grandparents visited they noticed the children “looked thin,” they said, but they seemed like a “happy family.”

Mirror 1/16/2018 https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/house-horrors-couple-david-louise-11864057
David Turpin was a computer engineer who had worked for General Dynamics in Texas.

The couple filed for bankruptcy in California in 2011, owing between £72,000 and £363,000.

At that time, Turpin worked as an engineer at defence contractor Northrop Grumman earning £101,000 a year.

Heavy.com bold/italics by me
https://heavy.com/news/2018/01/davi...-perris-california-children-shackled-parents/

Friends made typical comments on photos as if the family was a loving one. “is okay you guys look like your having just as much fun as the kids,” wrote one friend on a photo of the couple at Disneyland. Another wrote, “I watched your wedding video. It was great. Your children are so well behaved. I am so proud of you Louise and David. You have a great family.”

PP got me curious what I know about DT especially and what I think I know.

Started looking, got distracted by my own erroneous post, but maybe others will find some snippets brought together useful.

Nothing new, just sort of compiled. I stopped though. I had hoped to be more thorough. But need to get on with my day for now.

I would like to know how they are adapting to prison life thus far..not well I would assume. That is, unless LT is enjoying the spotlight.

Totally agree.
As for the spitting, I'm not reading too much into it. I don't remember if she spat AT somebody, or just at the ground. If it was just at the ground, it may have meant nothing. She had just woken up unexpectedly, I think, and may have had a bad taste in her mouth.
Now if I find out that the spit was directed at the police or anybody else, then that's another story. That makes it more calculating.

Agreed. Also, correct me if I am wrong, I believe spitting at an officer is something you can be charged for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At Hephzibah House we were often forced to march in circles inside or march in place. It is very hard to move a group with one adult to various areas or activities, especially when it was seen as risky or inconvenient to take us outside. At Hephzibah House they said the marching fulfilled the state requirement for Phy Ed. Regardless, you can march many kids for an hour or so in a confined space with minimal supervision and involvement. Thats how I saw it. Something they used when they were short staff and the girls were getting antsy from sitting in a room, often on the floor facing the walls, all day. We had to march in place, knees high, silent, equally spaced while staff wrote letters or read a book. Any deviation was of course a paddling offense, so we just marched until we were ordered to stop.

And this HH place still exists?! I sent my wayward one to a private school here that had gotten good reviews. Apparently something happened, or the kids were made to write the reviews... I'd not have done it but it was, what I felt, a last resort. My employer was extremely family friendly, otherwise I'd been fired for being at the school so much, I felt as if I was repeating school myself. We were looking at expulsion, in middle school, at one point, and neither of us could quit work to supervise mine, all day. So, we tried the boarding school routes. Worst parenting mistake I've ever made.

And this HH place still exists?! I sent my wayward one to a private school here that had gotten good reviews. Apparently something happened, or the kids were made to write the reviews... I'd not have done it but it was, what I felt, a last resort. My employer was extremely family friendly, otherwise I'd been fired for being at the school so much, I felt as if I was repeating school myself. We were looking at expulsion, in middle school, at one point, and neither of us could quit work to supervise mine, all day. So, we tried the boarding school routes. Worst parenting mistake I've ever made.

Yes Hephzibah House still exists, there is a thread dedicated to it here. I do not want to derail the conversation, but there are many parallels to my experience at HH and what we are hearing about these young people's captivity. My heart just breaks for these kids and the kids still locked up at Hephzibah house.

Do tread carefully with DT family sleuthing. I know we've been cautioned in the past, anyway. I also found CNN & Inside Edition had some articles from the earliest with quotes & info, but no time to link and don't want to risk paraphrase. Not sure if those will be useful for you.

I thought I read somewhere that the brother said he had a falling out with DT a few years ago? Did anyone else see that?

Agreed. Also, correct me if I am wrong, I believe spitting at an officer is something you can be charged for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It most definitely is. I know a young man, who, after recently losing his only close family member, went out and got totally lit, alcohol and drugs, and was found out of his mind. He spat on an officer as they tried to get him into the patrol car. He's in jail now on an assault charge...

I thought I read somewhere that the brother said he had a falling out with DT a few years ago? Did anyone else see that?

Looks to be that way...NY Post article describes them as estranged.
https://nypost.com/2018/01/17/horro...er-takes-leave-from-job-at-christian-college/

The estranged brother of accused shackle dad David Turpin is taking a leave of absence from his job as president of a Christian college in Ohio.

Dr. Randy Turpin — brother of accused child-torturer David Turpin — is on sabbatical from Valor Christian College while he deals with “revelations about estranged family members,” a statement from the college provided to The Post reads.

It most definitely is. I know a young man, who, after recently losing his only close family member, went out and got totally lit, alcohol and drugs, and was found out of his mind. He spat on an officer as they tried to get him into the patrol car. He's in jail now on an assault charge...

I read the "spitting" story.
It was a neighbour describing LT walking down the street between two police officers when she and DT were arrested.
Allegedly she had a smirk on her face, looked around a lot and spat, not at an officer, but twice into the ground.

I read the "spitting" story.
It was a neighbour describing LT walking down the street between two police officers when she and DT were arrested.
Allegedly she had a smirk on her face, looked around a lot and spat, not at an officer, but twice into the ground.
If it was the ground, where I'm from, to spit on the ground, is a show of extreme anger/disgust/hatred. It is the equivalent of "speaking" the most vile, offensive, thing to someone. You had best be ready for a potential fight. Imo, she was exhibiting her hatred for LE, and possibly the onlookers, and, her smile was NOT one of humor.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If it was the ground, where I'm from, to spit on the ground, is a show of extreme anger/disgust/hatred. It is the equivalent of "speaking" the most vile, offensive, thing to someone. You had best be ready for a potential fight. Imo, she was exhibiting her hatred for LE, and possibly the onlookers, and, her smile was NOT one of humor.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My thoughts too, especially if she had a smirk on her face.
But we don´t know really.

MOD NOTE

Many posts have been removed. Please stay on topic. The topic of this thread is the Turpin family; please keep to the facts of this case. If you don't have a link to back up quotes from a case player or another fact of the case, your post will be removed. Do not sleuth the extended members of the family.

Also, for any of our new WS members, welcome, and please familiarize yourselves with the rules or PM a moderator if you have questions. Astrology discussion is not allowed on WS.

This post lands at random.

Thank you! This is very interesting to me since they were clearly not estranged in the pictures and comments on that shared Disney holiday post.

That was in June of 2011, at the Murietta address. Iirc, only thing ever reported in MSM, from there, was a guy saw them marching in a circle, upstairs, when he came home, from 2nd shift. Again, iirc, they started pulling further away from family around 2010. A lot can happen in 7 1/2 years.

Brother may have accompanied the parents out there too. Doesn't mean they were chummy with one another. I've attended family things, and sat at tables with kin I've disliked, to put it mildly, and grinned and chatted, for my parents. My parents don't know to this day that I dislike that person(s).

Hi all. Any developments in the Turpin case in the past week or so? When is the next court appearance?

Address the post and not the poster please folks.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member