FL - 17 killed in Stoneman Douglas H.S. shooting, Parkland, 14 Feb 2018 #1 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm reading that he wasn't allowed on campus with a backpack because he was violent, had made threats agains students and they knew he had guns. Questions:

1. Why weren't mental health services via the police involved?
2. Did he have parents? Were they involved in trying to help him or stop him from harming others?
3. Where did he get access to firearms? How and where? Given his age and past problems it seems it wouldn't be that easy for him.

Pretty much the same questions every time - just gonna keep happening

unless when one asks a question someone answers and then does something

that is with anything so we really don't have any reason to think it will stop

Earlier post indicated we are averaging one every three days since the new year

We will be doing this again shortly

"Dozens of law enforcement vehicles are on site, including one tank, along with a team of heavily armed law enforcement officers. Agents from the Miami office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are responding to the scene, a spokesman said."

Shooting reported at Florida high school
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/14/us/florida-high-school-shooting/index.html

bbm
MOO
Here's a thought experiment: Imagine that a small percentage of the resources, manpower and budget set aside for the "reaction" to mass shootings were instead used to try to figure out if there's any way this sort of thing could be prevented. I know after every mass catastrophe we thank the first responders and praise the fact that live shooter drills may have saved lives. But, all of those armored vehicles and officers just seem like window dressing after the fact.
MOO

JROTC is Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps...the regular ROTC is the college version. My son is was in the Air Force version...basically some military history combined with some military drills...just parade stuff though, no weapons training. My son was in the Color Guard and dang can't come up with the word, been a while, but Rifle Drills, where they flip rifles and march. The rifles are 'plugged' meaning they have a piece of metal in the barrel so the gun cannot be fired.

My husband said he had 22 caliber rifles in HS ROTC, MID 90's Nevada. How times have changed.

How many children being slaughtered en masse does it take before my fellow Americans say ENOUGH?

MSNBC

doc interview

3 critical in one of the hospitals some transported to still in surgery now

if we think about doctors were not conducting pressers years ago -- cept assignations

There is security at schools navy bases concerts airports malls etc etc

but I guess not at every public school yet. I honestly am glad I'm NOT a kid. I'd refuse to go to school. I'd live in constant anxiety and fear.

Let's put aside the gun issue. Let's just assume everyone has access to guns and that's all there is to it.

To get these kids to stop killing their classmates we have to figure out why this keeps happening.

What is going on at home? In their life?

That's what we need to find out. Why these kids think killing is the answer.

I am at a loss.

Tricia
PS. Did I mention do not bring up guns? Oh, yes I did right at the top. SEE IT RIGHT THERE IT SAYS " LET'S PUT ASIDE THE GUN ISSUE. LET'S JUST ASSUME EVERYONE HAS ACCESS TO GUNS AND THAT'S ALL THERE IS TO IT". Did you read it? Good!
Seems like a good time to bump this.

NBC Nightly News says 17 Dead, more in surgery now.

Sheriff: weapon was an AR 15 and he had multiple magazines. Do not know motive for shooting.

Whatever happened to the push to have metal detectors and school IDs necessary to enter. I think some inner city schools already have metal detectors. Maybe its about time all schools have them. Its a one time cost and then it should stop some of these shootings I would think.

It would help. All students must check in or swipe an ID badge like most corporate offices. It cuts down on non essential wandering in/ot and around campus to case it.

Wash, rinse, repeat. And we're not even allowed to talk about the elephant in the room. We can't discuss what needs to be discussed. What's the point of even having the thread. Till next time, I guess...

I get what you are saying and I don’t disagree but at this point there has to be more to it. There is a problem. A serious problem with the mindset of some American youth, that you just don’t see in other nations.

Simple as that.

So the perp was able to come and go as he pleased even though he wasn’t a student at the school??? This is just stupid ridiculous!!!!

I think it's the same motivators as most mass shooters/bombers. These are injustice collectors. (HMS Hood where you at?). They are people with social issues, and narcissism. They believe they're entitled to more attention, praise, women and recognition than they receive.

Sometimes they are victims of abuse or neglect Or domestic violence and sometimes they aren't. Some were ruthlessly bullied. Some were not. Some have mental health diagnoses or neurological disorders and some do not.

One commonality (other than the obvious) is that they get the notoriety and attention and vengeance they crave due to relentless media attention.

I think we could decide as a culture that we aren't going to do that anymore. Don't publicize their names and photos. Eventually boycott news agencies that do.

The media used to air suicides and shooting by police, live. They use to publish full photos of dead bodies, even of children. But they decided to stop.

I think we have the power to change the culture.

I agree. This is a solution. Take away the attention, notriety.

Traumatized students said that once they heard reports of a mass shooting at the school they knew it would be Cruz, while one teacher said he had been identified as a potential threat to his classmates last year.
Matthew Walker, a 17-year-old student at the school, told WFOR-TV that all his classmates 'knew it was going to be him.'

Daily Mail UK

Whatever happened to the push to have metal detectors and school IDs necessary to enter. I think some inner city schools already have metal detectors. Maybe its about time all schools have them. Its a one time cost and then it should stop some of these shootings I would think.

I don't think it would have helped in this instance but I do agree it's not a bad idea. Only problem, will shooters start targeting buses and orchestrating shootings like today.

I get what you are saying and I don’t disagree but at this point there has to be more to it. There is a problem. A serious problem with the mindset of some American youth, that you just don’t see in other nations.

Simple as that.

yep but treatment costs MONEY-

if Sandy Hook did nothing and ya mix in desensitization add some internet a dash of bullying both parents working add some disenfranchisement a pinch of anger some isolation

here we are

in the old days tv networks HAD to do a certain amount of PUblic Service Announcement

msnbc just aired inside the school during the shooting it was loud really loud like Pulse

I jumped it was so loud

except there were kids screaming and being startled

past stupid

one step (superficial ) no backpacks period carry your laptop costa nothing

No backpack policies have been trending for close to a decade. I'm not sure if there's any data on its effectiveness.

So the perp was able to come and go as he pleased even though he wasn’t a student at the school??? This is just stupid ridiculous!!!!

I think he pulled the fire alarm and that’s how he got inside.

he wore a gas mask and smoke grenades MSNBC

Bomb squad doing another search msnbc

There has to be a long history of issues to get expelled -- typically it is not one incident that results in expulsion

I think this will be similar to Lanza as far as history goes

Ok our congressmen are out talking about mental health am I confused did someone press repeat?

I don't think it would have helped in this instance but I do agree it's not a bad idea. Only problem, will shooters start targeting buses and orchestrating shootings like today.

yeh I would think so we have moved to outdoor concerts churches subways night clubs

bbm
MOO
Here's a thought experiment: Imagine that a small percentage of the resources, manpower and budget set aside for the "reaction" to mass shootings were instead used to try to figure out if there's any way this sort of thing could be prevented. I know after every mass catastrophe we thank the first responders and praise the fact that live shooter drills may have saved lives. But, all of those armored vehicles and officers just seem like window dressing after the fact.
MOO

When I saw a tank at one of our high schools that is a utterly repulsive image imo

past stupid

one step (superficial ) no backpacks period carry your laptop costa nothing

MSNBC

he made it to the third floor shooting on one then going up one then again

sounds like he was inside a while

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online