Found Deceased MN - Kara Blevins, 27, pregnant, Akeley, 2 Feb 2018

Cass County Sheriff Tom Burch said several agencies are investigating what led to her disappearance.

"This is a terribly sad situation," Burch said.

Burch said tips from the public helped find Blevins.

"Just people being observant, seeing things that just didn't look right," he said. "It is very important with stuff like this to get input from the public because any little detail can really lead to a solution."
The Ramsey County Medical Examiner will determine the cause of Blevins' death.
https://www.mprnews.org/story/2018/02/18/body-of-pregnant-woman-found-in-chippewa-national-forest

Very sad indeed! RIP Kara and baby! I too will be interested in seeing ME's conclusions on her death.

Oh no ... :(.

From the article:
“Blevins had originally been reported missing from a residence on the Howard Lake Road on Feb. 5, 2018.” (BBM)

Previously, it was reported:
“She was last seen walking along Howard Lake Road in Akeley, Minnesota on the evening of February 2.” (BBM)
http://www.kvrr.com/2018/02/12/pregnant-woman-goes-missing-northern-minnesota/

Chippewa National Forest is massive (“The Forest boundary encompasses about 1.6 million acres, with over 660,000 acres managed by the Chippewa National Forest” per https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/chippewa/about-forest), so this is approximate, but it appears to be about a 15-minute-drive from Howard Lake Road: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/47....1!1s0x52b77274393ce08f:0xa71e941bc26bb7ae!3e2

Thinking of Kara, her mom and her babies ....

First time poster. This story caught my attention as I'm from the area - grew up in MN (mom is from nearby Park Rapids, dad is from Bemidji).

Howard Lake (and Howard Lake Road) are in the Chippewa National Forest. While Akeley is in Hubbard County, Howard Lake is just inside Cass County - the county line runs north-south just to the west of Howard Lake and incidentally is also the western edge of the national forest. The location in the link you posted is the US Forest Service office in Walker.

First time poster. This story caught my attention as I'm from the area - grew up in MN (mom is from nearby Park Rapids, dad is from Bemidji).

Howard Lake (and Howard Lake Road) are in the Chippewa National Forest. While Akeley is in Hubbard County, Howard Lake is just inside Cass County - the county line runs north-south just to the west of Howard Lake and incidentally is also the western edge of the national forest. The location in the link you posted is the US Forest Service office in Walker.

I'm new here, too. Grew up in Nevis.

Small world.

I was born in Bemidji and grew up in Moorhead. I spent a ton of time in that area as my grandparents lived in Park Rapids.

Glad to have you here and posting RB39 - welcome to WS.

I'm new here, too. Grew up in Nevis.

Welcome to the group. I live in SE MN, but we vacation up north in the summer months and I’m familiar with the area.

This case caught my attention because my brother passed away unexpectedly from cardiac arrest in Mahnomen on Feb 2nd. He played drums and sang at the “We are Savanna” rally in Fargo on Feb 1st. Savanna Greywind was 8 months pregnant when she was murdered and her baby was stolen from her body.

Interesting finds, Tippy.
I'm also sorry to hear about your brother.

First time doing this, so hope I’m doing it right!

RIP [emoji22]

http://m.startribune.com/foul-play-doubted-in-death-of-pregnant-northern-minnesota-woman/474484513/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, NebraskaGirl. From that link:
AKELEY — Authorities said they doubt foul play was a factor in the death of a pregnant woman who was missing for more than two weeks before her body was found in the Chippewa National Forest. The body of 27-year-old Kara Blevins was found Saturday not far from her hometown of Akeley.

Cass County Sheriff Tom Burch said there was “no indication at the scene of any crime.”
Preliminary autopsy results could provide more information about how she died.

Markers for hypothermia would show up at autopsy (always a possibility this time of year when traveling by foot not dressed for the conditions and always the possibility of being medically or otherwise impaired.) Blood work to see if drugs or alcohol were a factor will take some weeks. I'm glad they've found her for closure, but I don't think these cases are related other than by geography.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708
Back