Identified! WA - Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #6 *name withheld*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post mortem photo ahead.. I want to add this to conversation. You Must Remember This..a story about a boxer named Lyle Stevick. Why would he know this name unless he read the book and why would he have read the book. A college student? I thought maybe he, himself could be a boxer. In his profile pic he does seem to have the flattened facial features boxers get from repeated injuries over time ( no offense) it's just MO thoughView attachment 130249
Pic from Google search

Has a bit of a Siberian or Russian Mongolian look there.. If this man was an agent of a foreign state we will never know who he was

Oh wow, do you guys think he will have a name soon? How long does the process take?

Oh wow, do you guys think he will have a name soon? How long does the process take?
Even if they get results quickly, it will be a while before we hear anything. They'll have to double check, verify, notify next of kin, etc. And the kin might want to keep it private. It's possible we'll never know.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Even if they get results quickly, it will be a while before we hear anything. They'll have to double check, verify, notify next of kin, etc. And the kin might want to keep it private. It's possible we'll never know.

True, and that's not what matters. The goal isn't to satisfy the public's curiosity but to foster peace and closure.

Its

Its LEs decision not family

In the meantime, there is this mp, not sure if he has been suggested or not, his thread closed but there does not seem to be a resolution to his case, imo.
http://charleyproject.org/case/scott-a-hilbert
Scott A. Hilbert

cache.php

Hilbert, circa 1988

• Missing Since 03/13/1988
  • Missing From Cincinnati, Ohio
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth 03/21/1969 (48)
  • Age 18 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'9, 150 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, green eyes.

Is this DNA bank only for US citizens to submit their DNA, or is there an international place for all citizens of the world to submit samples?

I'm in Europe atm. I know I have some close-ish relatives in West Canada and Guatemala...
Is there an international DNA-project?

I would love to help, but not sure if I can or where... ? Anyone know?

Is this DNA bank only for US citizens to submit their DNA, or is there an international place for all citizens of the world to submit samples?

I'm in Europe atm. I know I have some close-ish relatives in West Canada and Guatemala...
Is there an international DNA-project?

I would love to help, but not sure if I can or where... ? Anyone know?

They upload to GEDmatch and GEDmatch Genesis which are world wide public databases.

Anyone interested see the link below, Genesis is the last post

Family tree and DNA general instructions

Also be sure to upload to GEDmatch Genesis which is separate from GEDmatch. Right now it's beta, eventually it will be merged with GEDmatch. IT contains results from the major 3 as well as results from 24 Genetics, Atlas, Complete Genomics, DNA Land, Full Genomes, Gencove, Gene By Gene, Genes For Good, Genos, GPS Originas, HGDP (Stanford), Living DNA, NatGeo, Oxford (FTDNA), We Gene, YSEQ, and some labs that a few of my matches used; Parabon, Dante Labs, Whole Genome and other sites that are not supported with regular GEDmatch. It also says there are more accurate matching tools.

UPDATE from the DNA Doe Project (facebook page):
https://www.facebook.com/DNADoeProj...009255824516/2035274830064625/?type=3&theater

UPDATE: Preliminary results for Lyle!
We’ve been given a tentative finding on Lyle’s mitochondrial DNA haplogroup, which tells us something about his mother’s heritage. It appears that Lyle’s group is B2a, which is most commonly found among Native Americans in the Southwest US and Northern Mexico. (Google “mtdna B2a” for tons of information on what this means.)

Does this mean Lyle was Native American? Not necessarily. It means one of his ancestors on his mother’s mother’s mother’s side (potentially going all the way back thousands of years along his “matrilineal” ancestral line) was likely Native American, since the parent haplogroup came to this continent over the Bering Strait perhaps 12,000 years ago. We won’t know how many of Lyle’s other ancestors were Native American until we see his autosomal ethnicity results in a few days. His mother could have been full-blooded NA, or half, or a 16th or less.

Our real work will commence when we get the autosomal data files from the lab and upload them to GEDmatch. Then we hope to find DNA relatives representing all of his ancestors so we can start building a family tree for him.
Lyle has given up his first secret!

If you would like to learn more about our cases, or wish to make a tax-deductible donation either to our general fund or a specific Doe Fund Me case, please visit our website at:
http://www.dnadoeproject.org/

ANOTHER UPDATE!!
https://www.facebook.com/DNADoeProj...009255824516/2035482260043882/?type=3&theater

When it rains it pours! Our wonderful, hard-working lab has just given us Lyle’s Y-DNA haplogroup: R1b-DF81, which seems to have Hispanic / Spanish associations in the present day. This represents Lyle’s father’s father’s father’s etc line – also back thousands of years. Bear in mind this is only one of the many ancestors that make up Lyle’s ethnicity. But considering what we’ve learned about his matrilineal line, it certainly suggests his family could have been Hispanic/NA. The ethnicity report in a few days will shed more light on his overall origins. If you visualize your family tree, your patrilineal (Y-DNA if male) and your matrilineal (mtDNA) lines represent only the outermost edges of that tree, going far, far back in time.

You’ll all get much more detail (and a clearer explanation) by googling R1b-DF81.

Someone in the comments points out that from googling it appears Basque men often have this haplogroup and there happens to be a very large Basque population in Idaho (only second to California)... and we all remember the Meridian, Idaho location Lyle put as his address... obviously we don't know if he is mainly hispanic but it's very interesting

Basque lineage doesn't surprise me! Lyle resembles my husband's family, who are of Spanish Basque origins.

How far can this DNA take us toward identifying Lyle?

Thank you to all the contributors and to the folks processing these tests!

Basque lineage doesn't surprise me! Lyle resembles my husband's family, who are of Spanish Basque origins.

How far can this DNA take us toward identifying Lyle?

Thank you to all the contributors and to the folks processing these tests!

Well we don't know that he's Basque or even that he's largely hispanic at this point... but these are just preliminary results, I don't think the DNA is fully done sequencing. They could potentially find his whole family tree and identity from his DNA. On Friday we should know his more immediate and complete ethnic background.

LYLE'S ETHNICITY REPORT IS HERE EARLY!!! They discuss one ethnicity report (and they can vary). Basic takeaway: Lyle is likely at least 1/4 Native American, probably a bit more, and his European ancestry is approximately 1/4 North Atlantic and Baltic altogether. His Hispanic ancestry likely comes from Spain (West_Med on pie chart), a little less than 1/4 but third most significant.

His ethnicity pie chart:
https://www.facebook.com/DNADoeProject/photos/p.2035859126672862/2035859126672862/?type=3&theater

UPDATE
Lyle Stevik’s raw DNA data files have been delivered to us, and we’ve uploaded them to GEDMatch. It will take most of the day for his DNA match list to be generated. The we roll up our sleeves and get to work looking for his DNA cousins and building their trees. Meanwhile we have an ethnicity report for him we can share. There are many available reports (they use different algorithms and reference populations.) Some are better than others. But all need to be taken with a grain of salt, as those of you who have tested know. **This one does suggest, however, that Lyle very likely is at least ¼ Native American. Probably a bit more – it looks like one grandparent and perhaps an additional great-grandparent were NA.**
**North Atlantic and Baltic represent his European ancestry – approximately ¼. West_Med is likely the source of his Hispanic ancestry (Spain).** If anyone has a different admixture tool they’d like us to look at, we’ll do so as time permits. We’ll post another breakdown shortly.
Also, some of you have sent us your GEDMatch kit numbers to do a one-to-one comparison. We are happy to accommodate those requests as time permits. Email us (admin@dnadoeproject.org) or message us to keep your kit numbers relatively private. (Uploading DNA results from any testing company to GEDMatch is free.)
Our heartfelt appreciation to our fabulous lab and bioinformatics expert for staying up late and getting these files created ahead of schedule!
If you would like to learn more about our cases, or wish to make a tax-deductible donation either to our general fund or a specific Doe Fund Me case, please visit our website at:
http://dnadoeproject.org/

I have seen a few comments saying this would be an average Mexican ancestry breakdown (generally Mexican people are mixed to some degree). I wonder if anyone else has thoughts?

I am so amazed and impressed at what has been done by people here and on other sites regarding lyles case. Major props to the dedicated sleuths who have worked so hard at this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood