2 Rescued After Falling Off Cruise Ship

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- A man and woman fell overboard from the cruise ship into the Gulf of Mexico but were recovered alive after a four-hour search, a Coast Guard spokeswoman in New Orleans said.
It wasn't clear how the two fell overboard. Their ship, Princess Cruise's Grand Princess, had left Galveston, Texas, and was headed toward Mexico.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/P/PASSENGERS_OVERBOARD?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

Is it that easy to "fall" off a cruise ship?! :doh: I can't imagine that it is.

I'll have to talk to hubby about going on a cruise and investigating this! :D

I have been on many cruises on different ships. DH and I were on this ship, The Grand Princess, for our 25th anniversary. The rails are high enough that you would not just accidently fall over. Now if you were climbing up on a rail or for some stupid reason sitting on the rail(maybe taking a picture) then I could see someone falling over. I am anxious to see what exactly these two were doing. They are lucky to be alive to tell their story.

I have been on many cruises on different ships. DH and I were on this ship, The Grand Princess, for our 25th anniversary. The rails are high enough that you would not just accidently fall over. Now if you were climbing up on a rail or for some stupid reason sitting on the rail(maybe taking a picture) then I could see someone falling over. I am anxious to see what exactly these two were doing. They are lucky to be alive to tell their story.

I still think I need to investigate this personally.

:innocent:

I'm guessing too much alcohol might increase the chances of this happening as well, like with that other guy last week.

Those kids are very lucky. If alcohol was involved, I bet they sobered up pretty quickly once they fell into the water.

Do you suppose they were doing the Jack and Rose thing? (No, not that thing, the posing on the prow thing!)

This is amazing. Last week I saw two men interviewed on TV who had both fallen off of different cruise ships and had been in the water for more hours than these two... and it seemed like a miracle that they both survived. Now these two fall off... I don't understand what gives with everyone suddenly falling off of cruise ships. What the heck are they doing to make this happen? Surely whatever the answer is it doesn't involve good common sense!

And Taxi, I agree... you NEED to investigate this in an up close and personal way! And I may NEED to help you do that!

I hope that they can shed some light on how and why people fall off of the ships. It may explain why so many people are missing after cruises.

And Taxi, I agree... you NEED to investigate this in an up close and personal way! And I may NEED to help you do that!

Heck, let's make it the first "WS Investigative Reports" cruise, all invited!

I have recently started feeling dizzy at certain heights, and I wonder how I'd feel out on the ocean looking out/down. Enough to topple over or just toss my cookies? I wouldn't even want to consider adding alcohol (or drugs) to the situation.

I'm assuming these companies know how to build safe cruise ships. Something's up with TWO people going overboard at the same time.

I'd be aggravated if I was on that cruise and was interrupted by something like that if it was intentional!

Heck, let's make it the first "WS Investigative Reports" cruise, all invited!

I have recently started feeling dizzy at certain heights, and I wonder how I'd feel out on the ocean looking out/down. Enough to topple over or just toss my cookies? I wouldn't even want to consider adding alcohol (or drugs) to the situation.

I'm assuming these companies know how to build safe cruise ships. Something's up with TWO people going overboard at the same time.

I'd be aggravated if I was on that cruise and was interrupted by something like that if it was intentional!

I'm in!!!:D

I have been on many cruises also. I think my cruising days may be over after hearing about people falling off, people disappearing, people getting sick, suspected Legioner's disease, etc. The only cruises I would consider may be to Alaska or to take another tall ship cruise with the Windjammers.

Taxi, I'm in, too! We'll just need to stay away from the rails... I suggest staying towards the middle, perhaps in the Bar! Naturally, after a heavy night of drinking, we definitely won't be able to go near the railing on the return to our rooms... but I think we can handle that limitation!

Its been awhile since I took a cruise, is possible to slide under the rail?

My mother-in-law went on a cruise earlier this month and she came back. You can't count on anything anymore. :mad:

We had a balcony cabin and a 9-year old and I was perfectly at ease. Unless you try to sit up on the rail or something stupid, it's safe. The only time I felt uncomfortable was walking on the very top deck when it was quite windy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back