GUILTY OH - Emily Rimel, 5, Columbus, 7 Dec 2004

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- After three days of deliberating, a jury found Lindsey Bruce guilty of aggravated murder in connection with the killing 5-year-old Emily Rimel.

Bruce, who was convicted of kidnapping Emily Rimel last year, was accused of murdering the girl and dumping her body near Big Walnut Creek in December 2004, NBC 4's Nancy Burton reported.

Bruce was found guilty on one count of aggravated murder with a death penalty specification, but not guilty of another aggravated murder charge that concerned a purposeful killing. He was also found guilty of tampering with evidence for dumping her body and a lesser charge of murder, Burton reported.

Jurors deliberated since Wednesday, and returned to the courtroom on Friday afternoon to ask the judge a question. The jurors said they had reached a consensus on three of four charges, but were unable to agree on the fourth charge, asking what happens next.

The judge instructed the jury to return to deliberate and try to reach a decision. A short time later, the jury told the judge that they would continue to deliberate through Friday evening -- insisting that they would reach a unanimous decision.

The jury returned shortly before 4 p.m., saying they had reached a final decision.

Bruce hung his head as the verdicts were read, Burton reported.

The victim's mother said the guilty verdict after the 18-day trial was the beginning of justice for her daughter.

"I'm excited that we're going to have justice for Emily. She deserves better than what happened to her. She deserved the world and her life was ended too short," said Jane Rimel, the girl's mother.

The same jurors will return on April 3 to begin the next phase of the trial -- deciding whether Bruce will live or die.

Emily Rimel would have turned 8 years old on Saturday.

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17760213

Thank God they found him guilty. Now I hope they give him the death penalty. He deserves nothing less. The evil monster was a friend of the family. They let him stay at their home when he had no where else to go and then he murders their daughter. I don't care how long he sits on death row. That is where he belongs for taking the life of this beautiful little girl who hadn't even begin to live her life. If he doesn't get the death penalty I hope he is put in general population and the other prisoners take care of him. That won't happen though...he will be put in a safe place so no one can hurt him.

http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070323/UPDATES01/70323026

Lindsey Bruce found guilty of aggravated murder
NBC4

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- After three days of deliberating, a jury found Lindsey Bruce guilty of aggravated murder in connection with the killing 5-year-old Emily Rimel.

Bruce, who was convicted of kidnapping Emily Rimel last year, was accused of murdering the girl and dumping her body near Big Walnut Creek in December 2004, NBC 4's Nancy Burton reported. Rimel was born in Zanesville and still has family in the area.

Bruce was found guilty on one count of aggravated murder with a death penalty specification, but not guilty of another aggravated murder charge that concerned a purposeful killing. He was also found guilty of tampering with evidence for dumping her body and a lesser charge of murder, Burton reported.

Jurors deliberated since Wednesday, and returned to the courtroom on Friday afternoon to ask the judge a question. The jurors said they had reached a consensus on three of four charges, but were unable to agree on the fourth charge, asking what happens next.

The judge instructed the jury to return to deliberate and try to reach a decision. A short time later, the jury told the judge that they would continue to deliberate through Friday evening -- insisting that they would reach a unanimous decision.

The jury returned shortly before 4 p.m., saying they had reached a final decision.

Note: If you go to the link, there's a video of the verdict and a few words from her mom.

FWIW, March 24th, the day after the verdict was reached, would have been Emily's 8th birthday.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY sweet EMILY.:blowkiss: Play with the angels and watch over your mom. Justice has been served for you.

fran

http://www.10tv.com/?story=sites/10tv/content/pool/200703/1475216913.html

Lindsey Bruce Found Guilty In Girl's Slaying

Mar 23 2007 5:29PM

A Columbus man was found guilty on Friday in connection with the slaying of a 5-year-old girl.

Lindsey Bruce, 25, was convicted on three of four counts, including murder, aggravated murder with specs and tampering with evidence. Jurors found him not guilty of an aggravated murder charge.

The jury deliberated for approximately 2 1/2 days.

:woohoo:

I am elated! And I hope that lives every last day of his life in fear. In my opinion, there will be a special place in hell reserved just for him. And I can't wait until he gets there.

JMHO

Justice for Emily.:angel:

This is just wonderful news! Lot of guilty verdicts coming down lately and deservedly so imo.

Justice is finally complete for little Emily. I'm not surprised by the verdict. I just knew that this jury would come through for her. Now...will he get the death penalty?

I had thought the jury was to decide whteher Bruce gets death today, but I can't find any info. Does anyone in Ohio know when they reconvene?

The Jury came back this am with life without the possibility of parole. :behindbar

The Jury came back this am with life without the possibility of parole. :behindbar

*sigh*

I was hoping for death.

Poor precious baby... I will never forget her little face.
:( ugh. God be with her family...

with love,

Ariel:(

*sigh*

I was hoping for death.

Poor precious baby... I will never forget her little face.
:( ugh. God be with her family...

with love,

Ariel:(

It is very hard to get "death" here in Franklin County, we had 3 defendants that shot and killed 3 Ohio State students execution style with lots and lots of evidence and they all got life sentences also. The best news is that Lindsey Bruce is off the streets and Emily is an Angel now.

And as he'll be in general population now, I hope someone does a Dahmer on him.

I too had hoped for more, but Baleuf isright. Emily is at peace now.

The jury came back with life without the possibility of parole. I had oped for more, but he won't last long in general population if there really is justice in the world.:banghead:

The jury came back with life without the possibility of parole. I had oped for more, but he won't last long in general population if there really is justice in the world.:banghead:

I'd hoped for death myself....
Still, I am GLAD to know he was tried AND convicted.
You're right in regards to the general population. At times
it seems they've more of a sense of justice than
our courts and juries.

Emily

helovesus.jpg

I'd hoped for death myself....
Still, I am GLAD to know he was tried AND convicted.
You're right in regards to the general population. At times
it seems they've more of a sense of justice than
our courts and juries.

I agree with you. At least he will never get out. I wonder why the jury didn't give him the DP though. I'm counting on the prison population to deal with this guy. They don't like baby killers.

They sure dont and life is gonna be a long old time for him - either with the beatings he will surely recieve or alone if he opts for solitary! Justice.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back