Lesbian Asks Court to Ban Gay Adoptions

angelmom

The love stays...forever in our hearts
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://www.comcast.net/news/national/index.jsp?cat=DOMESTIC&fn=/2007/03/25/619191.html

ATLANTA - Sara Wheeler's life has become a contradiction. Once a proud lesbian, she's now a pariah in the gay community. Once in a committed relationship with a female partner, she's rethinking her sexuality.

And now she's doing something she once would have considered unthinkable _ arguing that gays don't have the legal right to adopt children.

much more at link.

http://www.comcast.net/news/national/index.jsp?cat=DOMESTIC&fn=/2007/03/25/619191.html

ATLANTA - Sara Wheeler's life has become a contradiction. Once a proud lesbian, she's now a pariah in the gay community. Once in a committed relationship with a female partner, she's rethinking her sexuality.

And now she's doing something she once would have considered unthinkable _ arguing that gays don't have the legal right to adopt children.

much more at link.

This has NOTHING to do with with this woman's sexual preferences, or Gay Rights.

She is taking a hot button issue and using it to deny visitation and a relationship with an innocent child.

Seems to me that once again the kid gets screwed over a parent's immaturity and pettiness.

And one gay person opposing gay adoptions doesn't mean anything any more than one heterosexual person opposing heterosexual adoptions means anything.

This has NOTHING to do with with this woman's sexual preferences, or Gay Rights.

She is taking a hot button issue and using it to deny visitation and a relationship with an innocent child.

Seems to me that once again the kid gets screwed over a parent's immaturity and pettiness.

I, too, felt that she was using her "status" to manipulate the court system. But who am I to say? I just thought it was an interesting legal point. GA is a complex place to be homosexual. The state came very close to passing the amendment to ban gay marriage, but ATL has a large, open gay population.

Agreed!!!
I think her actions and statements make it very clear she is not doing what is in the best interest of her child.
Based upon that IMO the other women should have sole custody.

I, too, felt that she was using her "status" to manipulate the court system. But who am I to say? I just thought it was an interesting legal point. GA is a complex place to be homosexual. The state came very close to passing the amendment to ban gay marriage, but ATL has a large, open gay population.

Playing devil's advocate here...... Using her ridiculous argument, the next step would be to ban gay people from having children.

I get annoyed with this issue. Gay people should be allowed to marry, have children, etc etc.

With all of the REAL problems our society faces, it pisses me off that gay rights even has to be an issue.

Doesn't matter. The Far Right will be quoting her, and using her as a poster-child for a long time to come, IMO.

Doesn't matter. The Far Right will be quoting her, and using her as a poster-child for a long time to come, IMO.
The only poster she should be used on is the one for parents who use the children as pawns when their relationship goes south. :furious:

The only poster she should be used on is the one for parents who use the children as pawns when their relationship goes south. :furious:

I agree, but I don't think it will stop them.

Hey Irish!

As I said earlier...Aren't there more important issues that we can concentrate on rather than whether a gay couple adopts a child or not.:hand:

The thing that annoys me most about this, is that she seems to be manipulating the legal system. It was certainly okay for her partner to adopt her son when things were all peachy-keen in their relationship. But now, she's claiming her partner shouldn't have been able to adopt. Well..........can you just imagine the STINK she would have caused if her partner had been denied the right to adopt in the first place? You can't have it both ways, people!

And one gay person opposing gay adoptions doesn't mean anything any more than one heterosexual person opposing heterosexual adoptions means anything.

Not to you or me maybe. The media...totally different story.

Hey Irish!

As I said earlier...Aren't there more important issues that we can concentrate on rather than whether a gay couple adopts a child or not.:hand:

Hi Csds!

I guess it depends on whether you are part of a couple trying to adopt. To them, and to the child(ren) that needs a loving home, I imagine it is a very important issue.

Not to you or me maybe. The media...totally different story.

Not just the media, either. The groups that are against gays no matter what are going to latch onto this, and act like it's true for all gays instead of just seeing it for what it is.

Kinda like the Terri Schiavo/Right to Life groups.

To heck with facts, just push the agenda.

Hi Csds!

I guess it depends on whether you are part of a couple trying to adopt. To them, and to the child(ren) that needs a loving home, I imagine it is a very important issue.

My point is... The Far Right Groups makes these types of things big issues.
For me, any responsible loving adult should be allowed to adopt a child. There are way too many children caught up in the system without enough households for them.

My point is... The Far Right Groups makes these types of things big issues.
For me, any responsible loving adult should be allowed to adopt a child. There are way too many children caught up in the system without enough households for them.

Amen to that, Csds! :clap:

Amen to that, Csds! :clap:

A parent who manipulates the legal system to destroy a loving bond between an ex and a child isn't much better than a spouse who kills a child to punish the other parent.

Gay or straight, such people get to share the same circle of Hell, as far as I'm concerned.

All she sounds like is a jerk who's trying to keep her child from the other parent, and she's found a convenient loophole (or so she hopes) because she's gay. Some parents will do anything to spite the other, won't they. :sick:

She's not thinking about her son AT ALL! She's acting no differently than than any other parent who is too angry at an ex to think about the childs best interest. This little boy has TWO mommy's. Even if she were heterosexual and the relationship ended, the possibility exists each parent would have another serious relationship.

As a never married single mother myself, who's relationship ended with my sons father solely based on my unexpected pregnancy, there is NO WAY in hades I would not allow my sons father in his life. Right now my sons dad ONLY sees him with his gf. Sure it's not easy, but good for my son as his dad isn't comfortable - he claims it's too intense - one on one. I finally met her just yesterday, and she's really nice. I think she will be a wonderful "mentor" to dad. Funny my son likes her better than his dad. I'm sure it's because she's far more comfy with him. I'm glad dad has someone to help him.

She's not thinking about her son AT ALL! She's acting no differently than than any other parent who is too angry at an ex to think about the childs best interest. This little boy has TWO mommy's. Even if she were heterosexual and the relationship ended, the possibility exists each parent would have another serious relationship.

As a never married single mother myself, who's relationship ended with my sons father solely based on my unexpected pregnancy, there is NO WAY in hades I would not allow my sons father in his life. Right now my sons dad ONLY sees him with his gf. Sure it's not easy, but good for my son as his dad isn't comfortable - he claims it's too intense - one on one. I finally met her just yesterday, and she's really nice. I think she will be a wonderful "mentor" to dad. Funny my son likes her better than his dad. I'm sure it's because she's far more comfy with him. I'm glad dad has someone to help him.

Good for you, Cubby. Your post is how a loving parent thinks, even when the situation isn't comfortable.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back