Gun Control Debate #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am talking of my experience of my son graduating HS in Florida. A lot of his friends joined the military because they couldn't get a decent paying job to support themselves with.
It might be different elsewhere? And kids getting out of college, finding difficulty in getting a job as well. It's alright if you only want to earn minimum wage and live at home i suppose.

I am not sure where you are in FL but it is true that the number of low skill jobs are shrinking (and depending on the part of the country, rapidly shrinking). The number of jobs that require a post secondary options-- trade school, college, training (military or other) are on the rise. Students in high schools often have limited skills (curriculum in most schools are still preparing students for working in the 1950s or 1960s) in technology, critical thinking/problem solving. Also the jobs of the past that were less automated, including fast food places, required more workers and more human support for the business as opposed to today where even in the oil industry the extraction requires almost 75% less humans as well as skilled/trained workers.

Not sure how easy it is to pull a kid out of school just whenever and immediately start home-schooling.

It would be impossible to do this in numbers big enough to make a difference. Whole school districts. Single parents quit their jobs to homeschool their children whether or not they're qualified, and then the gov't spends kajillions (estimated) of dollars to equip schools and train special weapons teams. We can't even pay teachers and fund schools the way we should.

Last month, in WV:

The strikers won all five of their demands by shutting down every public school in the state.
From the very first day of the strike, the unions shut down every public school in the state, with 34,000 workers out. As the strike rolled on, a steady stream of thousands protested at the state capitol—many wearing bunny ears—while others staffed picket lines around their schools. At the same time, the parents of over 270,000 kids simultaneously supported the strikers, while scrambling to find places for their kids to stay. On Tuesday, February 27, the governor sat down and hammered out an agreement.

That's what it takes.

If "What good is the education when there won't be any jobs for them when they leave school?" is how you feel IMO today's walk out shouldn't be a problem.

I was talking about the walkout and liability on the school if that would be an issue, and the other poster stated it wasn't if the kids have a signed permission note. So as long as they do it's all good.

BBM, I would agree with that because when kids are meant to be at school and are present for the day, if anything should happen to any of the students while they are meant to be at school, the school can be held legally accountable for that.
As long as a child is in school it is the school's responsibility for what happens there. All IMO.

Like getting strafed by bullets?

But the school’s closed as ... someone ... cleans up after a mass shooting where dozens of kids and adults were wounded and killed. And, besides, it’s crawling with cops rn! [emoji8]

Oh dear, think about that. That would have to be the worst job in the world.

Oh dear, think about that. That would have to be the worst job in the world.

A large percentage of those workers will end up with PTSD, and, since we seem to be so concerned with money here, who is going to pay for their treatment?

It would be impossible to do this in numbers big enough to make a difference. Whole school districts. Single parents quit their jobs to homeschool their children whether or not they're qualified, and then the gov't spends kajillions (estimated) of dollars to equip schools and train special weapons teams. We can't even pay teachers and fund schools the way we should.

Last month, in WV:

The strikers won all five of their demands by shutting down every public school in the state.

That's what it takes.

My post was really in regard to making a statement to the Govt. about school shootings, that why should parents send their kids to school if schools can't be made safe for their children to attend them. The onus is really on the Govt. because they are the ones that institute the laws that it is mandatory for kids to attend school in the first place. And therefore the onus is also on them to keep those places safer.

http://time.com/5195960/national-school-walkout-march-14/

Thousands of students and teachers began walking out of their classrooms on Wednesday, March 14 as part of the the #Enough! National School Walkout to raise awareness about issues of school safety and the impact of gun violence. The nationwide march, organized by Women’s March Youth Empower, began at 10 a.m. Many marches lasted 17 minutes, to represent each of the victims of the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

https://www.womensmarch.com/enough-faq

https://www.womensmarch.com/team/

Who knew Linda Sarour was behind the school walk-out?

Seriously, you cannot make this up, you just can't.

I need to get to bed.

:bed:

I cannot believe my tax dollars are being wasted on this walkout.

I cannot believe that my tax dollars are spent on building schools that are shooter proof as much as posible. That my tax dollars are spent on Social Security payments for those without a parent or those with broken limbs, organs, and minds from shootings.

I can’t believe that my insurance permiums have to go up because of the medical costs of broken bodies, organs, and minds because of shootings. I cannot believe my tax dollars have to go for security at all kinds of functions.

My post was really in regard to making a statement to the Govt. about school shootings, that why should parents send their kids to school if schools can't be made safe for their children to attend them. The onus is really on the Govt. because they are the ones that institute the laws that it is mandatory for kids to attend school in the first place. And therefore the onus is also on them to keep those places safer.

I do see your point, but do you really want schools to be guarded like fortresses?

Like getting strafed by bullets?

No, the school had no safe controls in place for that type of thing obviously, or it would have been prevented. Maybe after this walkout the children that have to attend school could put their ideas together on how to tackle the problem on what they think could help to keep their schools safer from violent acts. And get petitions going to submit to their local political representatives that change is desperately needed, or else other actions will be taken. Just suggestions.

All 100k of them??

Aren't American tax dollars used mainly for warfare? How many trillions of dollars is the country in deficit right now?

No, American tax dollars go to help pay for public education. I don't even have children

http://time.com/5195960/national-school-walkout-march-14/

Thousands of students and teachers began walking out of their classrooms on Wednesday, March 14 as part of the the #Enough! National School Walkout to raise awareness about issues of school safety and the impact of gun violence. The nationwide march, organized by Women’s March Youth Empower, began at 10 a.m. Many marches lasted 17 minutes, to represent each of the victims of the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

https://www.womensmarch.com/enough-faq

https://www.womensmarch.com/team/

Who knew Linda Sarour was behind the school walk-out?

Seriously, you cannot make this up, you just can't.

I need to get to bed.

:bed:

She is publicising it, not organising it. The NRA's response to the protest was to post a pic on twitter of an AR15.

The govt is the taxpayer and they seem loathe to pay for schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member