CA CA - East Area Rapist aka The Original Night Stalker 1976-86

Status
Not open for further replies.
About two years ago I was traveling for business and was having dinner and drinks st a bar. I met a retired detective from the Sacramento area active during the EAR events. We struck up a conversation I will share here.

He was young at the time and knew of course about the VR and EAR. At the time he was a very low level detective and not directly associated w any of the crimes. He was involved in auto thefts mostly.

What I found interesting was the angle the perp was LE and had inside knowledge. We chatted about the “blue” code ect. He was adamant LE considered early on the perp to possible be LE. He shared there was in intense internal effort to check, double and triple check all LE on the area and eliminate them as suspects. Although the “good ole boy” system might help you with a speeding or parking ticket or let an officer that drove a little wreckelessly slide no way no how was someone going to be in LE and the EAR and not caught. His take was extraordinary efforts were made to eliminate the EAR as anyone in LE.

One area he felt needed more sluthing was people who had failed out of the Police academy, were dismissed early in their careers or never qualified for the academy and then correlate that to people who ultimately had a career in contruction and or real estate.

Has anyone ever definitively perused this particular avenue?
First thing I thought of when looking at this case was the common theme that some victims had were; New construction homes or buying or selling homes. My intial thought was it is a realtor!!

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

I think almost all the accents and wigs he wore and even things he mentioned about a van were all just to throw victims and police off. I do believe he was on some sort of drug. I even believe he didnt break into homes for the purpose of stealing money or personal items. I believe his motive was just to terroize and hurt these people for his own selfish needs.

So if all of these methods were employed to throw off LE why do we believe the “Mad” and “Custer” essays were dropped by accident? Why do we believe paint chips were left by accident? Why do we believe the map was dropped by accident? Would any of these items being plants change then or now the course of the investigation? Absent these items where would the investigation naturally progressed?

How come some victims thought he was asian? Others said white male. I think you would be able to tell the differnce between Asian male vs White male!

So if all of these methods were employed to throw off LE why do we believe the “Mad” and “Custer” essays were dropped by accident? Why do we believe paint chips were left by accident? Why do we believe the map was dropped by accident? Would any of these items being plants change then or now the course of the investigation? Absent these items where would the investigation naturally progressed?
The essays and map I do think were his, the map was used for stalking and the essay was used to throw off police into thinking he was more bat **** crazy then he was. Even the misspellings and stuff I think were done intentionally. As crazy as that sounds....

I keep shaking my head how lucky this perp was time and time again. It blows my mind frankly.

Most criminals are plain stupid. It’s not that cops are brilliant—like anything some are and some are not—but overall they are just less stupid than the perps. I work w LE daily btw. It’s like every profession some better than other but overall they are not all James Bonds. They solve most crimes bc the perps are stupid and careless and don’t have accesss to the technology and funds LE does.

This perp was lucky so many times. Chased by the cops and FBI and still eludes them. What are the chances? It just totally blows my mind all these crimes and someone didn’t get the better of him.

I apologize for rambling and not that it matters but I have heard “rumors” the Air Force police officer Maggiore had his service weapon the night he gave chase. Obviously a non issue except again this guy got so lucky so many times. Again. Again. Again.

The essays and map I do think were his, the map was used for stalking and the essay was used to throw off police into thinking he was more bat **** crazy then he was. Even the misspellings and stuff I think were done intentionally. As crazy as that sounds....

Or possibly to confuse everyone about his age. Or just to confuse in general. To me it always seemed those papers didn't belong together.

I apologize for rambling and not that it matters but I have heard “rumors” the Air Force police officer Maggiore had his service weapon the night he gave chase. Obviously a non issue except again this guy got so lucky so many times. Again. Again. Again.

It makes me crazy. My husband isn't familiar with the case and when I try to tell him about it it always ends with me ranting about how on earth did he get so lucky and how has he not been caught?!

I wondered if he had his weapon on him. Why or how was he not able to defend himself. I will read more about the Maggiores case now. I just started slutheing this case so I am trying to get all caught up.

Maybe the reason this has not been solved is because alot of the victims gave different descriptions. Seems like some have said he had blonde hair,some said brown. One said he was a white male, another says Asian male. If we do not know what he actually looks like how can anyone including cops and fbi find him? So frustrating!!! I know they have his dna profile and stuff, but they cant use it to search for other family members....

I wondered if he had his weapon on him. Why or how was he not able to defend himself. I will read more about the Maggiores case now. I just started slutheing this case so I am trying to get all caught up.

This was just speculation and rumor and there is no basis I know of either way for yes or no. Just another one of those lucky breaks for the perp.

I only recently became aware of this case, say within the last year. Some of the details I find interesting, and they can be put together to try to profile this guy with regards to occupation(s) and other factors.

Footwear has been mentioned, both in written accounts and in documentaries. High tops like Converse/Cons, if I remember correctly, and in early cases it's been mentioned he wore these:

https://www.hessenantique.com/Vietnam_Style_GI_Jungle_Boots_p/rc5080.htm

I wore these in the Marine Corps in the 90's. They were standard issue for the Coast Guard, Marines, Army, Navy, and Air Force, from the 60's and up until the early 2000's. As anyone will tell you about hard soled military boots, there is a break-in period for them, you have to wear them often, and walk some decent distances, in order to break them in. So if indeed EAR/ONS wore them, then the question has to be asked where he got them. Surplus? On McClellan AFB? ???

McClellan appears to have been a busy base during most of the Cold War, both for the Air Force and the Coast Guard. Some of the work on the base would have required a lot of civilian contractors, for aircraft maintenance, repair, and refurbishment purposes.

Just thinking out loud, here. If early on he used Cons and jungle boots as footwear, that fact alone shows planning as both would have been common in the 70's.

I only recently became aware of this case, say within the last year. Some of the details I find interesting, and they can be put together to try to profile this guy with regards to occupation(s) and other factors.

Footwear has been mentioned, both in written accounts and in documentaries. High tops like Converse/Cons, if I remember correctly, and in early cases it's been mentioned he wore these:

https://www.hessenantique.com/Vietnam_Style_GI_Jungle_Boots_p/rc5080.htm

I wore these in the Marine Corps in the 90's. They were standard issue for the Coast Guard, Marines, Army, Navy, and Air Force, from the 60's and up until the early 2000's. As anyone will tell you about hard soled military boots, there is a break-in period for them, you have to wear them often, and walk some decent distances, in order to break them in. So if indeed EAR/ONS wore them, then the question has to be asked where he got them. Surplus? On McClellan AFB? ???

McClellan appears to have been a busy base during most of the Cold War, both for the Air Force and the Coast Guard. Some of the work on the base would have required a lot of civilian contractors, for aircraft maintenance, repair, and refurbishment purposes.

Just thinking out loud, here. If early on he used Cons and jungle boots as footwear, that fact alone shows planning as both would have been common in the 70's.
I thought they also said he wore Adidas. Back then could Jungle boots be bought in a Surplus store or were they only bought on Bases?

Questioning clues in terms of if it was staged/planted etc. is very wise, in my opinion. But then there are the running themes, such as the Air Force that would either be "extreme planting" since it was a thread in several instances. Not saying it would be above the EAR/ONS to be capable of even staging an MO or signature, much less a theme such as the Air Force. Yet we must trust some things to be accurate in order to dive into those topics. I think the Air Force angle is as good as any.

As for thoughts on the clenched teeth, that sounds like he was on speed. Teeth grinding is very common. Plus the reports of him smelling. I don't know about speed, but meth makes users smell real bad, and him smelling was a common theme. Addiction to speed could also help explain the need to take valuables as well as the clenched teeth. From what they say, it makes a user feel invincible.

Stuttering coming natural to him would not surprise me. I believe it could be considered an equivalent to some of the other signs of possible trouble to come in children when seen in multiples, such as bed wetting, fire-starting and hurting animals.

Alternatively, as you have wondered, he could have employed stuttering as a way to conceal his identity possibly, an act. I expect he was quite an actor after all. He blended right in.

Maybe the reason this has not been solved is because alot of the victims gave different descriptions. Seems like some have said he had blonde hair,some said brown. One said he was a white male, another says Asian male. If we do not know what he actually looks like how can anyone including cops and fbi find him? So frustrating!!! I know they have his dna profile and stuff, but they cant use it to search for other family members....

DNA showed he was German, British and Scandinavian descent. I don't remember him ever being described as asian. Some victims said he used fake accents; Mexican, German, black etc.

DNA showed he was German, British and Scandinavian descent. I don't remember him ever being described as asian. Some victims said he used fake accents; Mexican, German, black etc.
Yeah, I seen on a forum someone mentioned he might have been Asian. I figured that was wrong though.

Questioning clues in terms of if it was staged/planted etc. is very wise, in my opinion. But then there are the running themes, such as the Air Force that would either be "extreme planting" since it was a thread in several instances. Not saying it would be above the EAR/ONS to be capable of even staging an MO or signature, much less a theme such as the Air Force. Yet we must trust some things to be accurate in order to dive into those topics. I think the Air Force angle is as good as any.

As for thoughts on the clenched teeth, that sounds like he was on speed. Teeth grinding is very common. Plus the reports of him smelling. I don't know about speed, but meth makes users smell real bad, and him smelling was a common theme. Addiction to speed could also help explain the need to take valuables as well as the clenched teeth. From what they say, it makes a user feel invincible.

Stuttering coming natural to him would not surprise me. I believe it could be considered an equivalent to some of the other signs of possible trouble to come in children when seen in multiples, such as bed wetting, fire-starting and hurting animals.

Alternatively, as you have wondered, he could have employed stuttering as a way to conceal his identity possibly, an act. I expect he was quite an actor after all. He blended right in.
That one composite with the hood on and very alert looking eyes made me think he was a meth head or was on some kind of stimulate.

One thing I thought of today: Based on all the acting crazy during attacks like crying and letters he wrote etc. This person faked all the crazy stuff,and is proboly someone who seems rather normal in everyday life. As in no one would suspect him. I think in his everyday life he did not act crazy or even mean. Most serial killers are pretty smart,and love to throw the cops off. He knew what to say about having a van when he proboly had a car instead or when he told them he had an apartment close by.Those were all lies.

Det. Shelby in his book talked about "Carlos", the ex-husband of a woman who came forward with information he found compelling. He had worked as a meter-reader for the utility company, had owned or had access to all the vehicles associated with GSK, and could mimic voices easily, probably because he normally spoke with a high-pitched voice, according to police who heard him on tape. What's more, he was in all the right places at every point, including Visalia. I was hoping this would be addressed or shot down in the recent coverage.
From Shelby's book:

"In 1979, Carlos invested in a new 37.5 ft. boat which was classified as a “ship”. Trailering it to Southern California, they stopped at just about every port they came across. His wife put them in Orange, Santa Barbara and Ventura counties at the same time the ONS was active. Today, Carlos lives on that boat."

Btw, does anyone else have to keep logging in? I'm a slow typist, but not that slow! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77