VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #3

Lol. Ok. And I understand since I doubt he was sexually attracted to her. But you never know.

But in all honesty. I am not seeing a motive for him to kill her unless she just witnessed that he was involved in something else.

The grand jury just needs a motive and it just doesn't seem to be one as we speak. Jmo.

Plus the family doesn't seem to have a motive as well.

Because if so; She wouldn't have been dropped off to him in the first place. Jmo.

I wish we knew more about the original claims/rumors/accusations that Stepdad had been physical with KA once when she was younger.

I never got that straight. I thought the story was that he may have spanked or slapped her? And was briefly detained? Does any else remember that?

I think our source for that story was KA's gf's MOM, when she was posting here. Did we ever clarify or verify?

I think it is important because it could indicate that there was some issue he had with her, that we don't know yet.

Also, if we are going to search and speculate about possible motives for stepdad to harm her.....:thinking:

There is one that has always niggled at me....but it may occur to me and seem possible, only because I am a childhood abuse survivor---so I would lean towards this scenario, where most would not think about it...

But is it just a sad coincidence that KA was currently dealing with that difficult situation, where she felt she had been sexually exploited by her two friends when she was drinking with them a night or 2 previously?

In my mind, she may have shared that story with her stepdad, in a vulnerable, emotional moment. And he may have reacted in a very predatory and aggressive manner with her, seeing it as the perfect time to have his way with her too. It might have just been the perfect opportunity and he took advantage of it.

They were alone on his large piece of land, no one would miss her for several hours, and so he had plenty of time to cover up things....

Also, if we are going to search and speculate about possible motives for stepdad to harm her.....:thinking:

There is one that has always niggled at me....but it may occur to me and seem possible, only because I am a childhood abuse survivor---so I would lean towards this scenario, where most would not think about it...

But is it just a sad coincidence that KA was currently dealing with that difficult situation, where she felt she had been sexually exploited by her two friends when she was drinking with them a night or 2 previously?

In my mind, she may have shared that story with her stepdad, in a vulnerable, emotional moment. And he may have reacted in a very predatory and aggressive manner with her, seeing it as the perfect time to have his way with her too. It might have just been the perfect opportunity and he took advantage of it.

They were alone on his large piece of land, no one would miss her for several hours, and so he had plenty of time to cover up things....
That scenario seems very plausible to me.

It's also possible that he had had designs on Katelin for a long time. Maybe he had, for years, been thinking about Katelin every time he had sex with her mother. Maybe he finally decided to to take what he wanted.

this is what ive always thought.

ive also considered that hed abused her in the past.

That scenario seems very plausible to me.

It's also possible that he had had designs on Katelin for a long time. Maybe he had, for years, been thinking about Katelin every time he had sex with her mother. Maybe he finally decided to to take what he wanted.

Isn't evidence a necessary thing for knowing something without a doubt?

Sometimes there is 'evidence' that cannot be used in a trial. But it is convincing to the detectives and makes them believe they have the guilty party.

For example, a family member or spouse may give some eyewitness testimony, but tells LE they will never testify in court or on the record. In essence they say 'Yes, my husband killed that man but I will never testify to that because of our kids.' Or something similar to that.

Or there may be a lot of small incriminating details, which clearly point to one suspects guilt, but it may not be enough to bring charges. So the phone pings in the same area as crime scene, suspect had a similar weapon but claims it was s stolen, suspect is caught in some lies to LE, suspect has an alibi but cops know it is phony, and the friend is lying for them, suspect made threats to the victim, but it is hearsay because the victim is now deceased, etc etc...

I was just gonna bump.
I have shivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just gonna bump.
I have shivers.

Katelin's case has a piece of my heart. Everything I've read or heard about her could be said about my own girls or friends of theirs. I feel so heartbroken for Katelin's family and loved ones.
Everyone knows what most likely happened...what is it going to finally take to bring her home and get her justice??

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

This is my first post on WS, though I've been a long-time lurker, so I hope I'm doing this right. I'm not sure why this particular case stuck out at me enough to make a first post, but well, here I am. :wave:

I saw this case on Disappeared just yesterday, and I read most of the 1st and 3rd threads on here. I agree with everyone who has said the stepdad is responsible. And I agree with katydid that Katelin's previous night may have been a catalyst (BBM above). But I'm going to come at it from a different angle.

What if the stepdad's motive wasn't sexual attraction, but rather sexual revulsion? I've read WS posts that Katelin felt uncomfortable around her SD (despite what the mom said on Disappeared). Do we know if SD approved of her relationship with and engagement to another woman?

Here's what I envision.

Katelin is dropped off at her SD's around 9:20am. He notices something is clearly bothering her and, although Katelin either knows or suspects SD doesn't approve of her lifestyle, she decides to tell him about the drunken threesome the night before. IIRC, Disappeared described Katelin as "despondent." In a situation like that, she may have thought she could trust him, that maybe her obvious pain and tears would be enough to break through his disapproval.

SD however uses this to question Katelin's sexuality. After all, the threesome involved a male, and Katelin is just 19—maybe she's going through a phase. Already "vulnerable and emotional," Katelin is now (rightly IMO) shocked and offended that, instead of compassion and understanding, she's getting a lecture on why she really isn't who she knows she is. An argument ensues and escalates into aggression and finally murder. It wouldn't be the first time a parent or step-parent killed their LGBTQ child.

SD then used Katelin's cheating as a cover-up, using Katelin's phone to text Amber something to the effect of "I can't come back; I cheated on you." Does anyone know when this particular text was sent? If it's part of the 11:56am text Amber received, and if this 11:56am MST, then this would've been 1:56pm EST, just four minutes after SD's 1:52pm text to LS saying he dropped Katelin off. SD was careful to do it in proper sequence to make it look like Katelin was texting now that she was alone at the mall.

What do you all think?

SD then used Katelin's cheating as a cover-up, using Katelin's phone to text Amber something to the effect of "I can't come back; I cheated on you." Does anyone know when this particular text was sent? If it's part of the 11:56am text Amber received, and if this 11:56am MST, then this would've been 1:56pm EST, just four minutes after SD's 1:52pm text to LS saying he dropped Katelin off. SD was careful to do it in proper sequence to make it look like Katelin was texting now that she was alone at the mall.

What do you all think?

BBM - Important point IMO

I just wanted to repost this .
QUOTE=JerseyGirl;13114388]Ok I'm done. They need to haul the SD in ASAP:

1:56pm - Katelin texts her mom "I'm at the airport, battery dying" but Katelin's phone pings at that time 30 miles south of the airport.

2:00pm - Katelin's ex-stepdad texts Katelin's mother and says "I dropped Katelin off" - his phone pinged further south close to his home.

7:15pm - Katelin texts her mom "I'm staying with a friend", "I need some time alone" - pinged in Stafford, less than 15 miles from where her luggage was found.

So this would mean that Stepdads phone and KA phones are pinging in 2 different locations., 4 minutes apart. He cant be using both phones himself. So this seems to be a huge issue to over come .

So this would mean that Stepdads phone and KA phones are pinging in 2 different locations., 4 minutes apart. He cant be using both phones himself. So this seems to be a huge issue to over come .

True-it is very important if this information is accurate-to refresh anyone where her luggage was found in Fredericksburg wasn’t quite as far south as “near stepdads house” and that is approximately 50 miles south of Reagan Airport. So if her phone pinged 30 miles south of that and his was close to his home, that’s some pretty unbelievable travel if he made it at least 20 miles in 4 minutes to send both texts..

True-it is very important if this information is accurate-to refresh anyone where her luggage was found in Fredericksburg wasn’t quite as far south as “near stepdads house” and that is approximately 50 miles south of Reagan Airport. So if her phone pinged 30 miles south of that and his was close to his home, that’s some pretty unbelievable travel if he made it at least 20 miles in 4 minutes to send both texts..

That has been a sticking point for me for the entire length of the case.along with 2 other points; In the beginning we found from Amber's SM posts that something was revealed that made clear they could no longer be together or something to that effect. We also became aware that KA had a threesome type encounter which was in some way traumatic for her.
Add to that this quote from LE early on in which they had some evidence that she may have chosen to go voluntary missing;

“We’re hoping – and this has happened before – that she simply decided that she wasn’t going to go back [to Arizona] and made other arrangements,” Pearce says. “Information recovered from her social media accounts and her cellphone records shows that [that may be case].”
http://people.com/article/spotsylvania-county-katelin-michelle-akens-missing-heather-ciccone-dead/

For these reasons I still waver back and forth on voluntary and that SD just presents no evidence that a crime has been committed.

Good catch. I didn't realize the significant distance between Fredericksburg, where Katelin's phone last pinged, and Partlow, where SD lives—27 miles, and a 38-minute drive according to Google Maps.

Disappeared made the two locations sound much closer. Quoting from the show:

(32:52)
"[SD's] ten-acre property is located in a rural area, called Partlow, about 50 miles south of the mall where [SD] dropped Katelin."

(34:07)
Detective: "[SD] said he had dropped Katelin off at Springfield Mall at about 1pm. And then a short period of time later is when you have [SD]'s phone sending a message saying, 'I just dropped her off.' [Image of the 1:52pm text]

Narrator: But records show that Katelin's phone was at least 50 miles away from the mall at the time. [Image of a cellphone ping near Fredericksburg, VA] And even more alarming to police, so was [SD]'s phone. [Image of a cellphone ping near Partlow, VA.

Detective: On December 5th, 2015, [SD]'s phone records show all of his communications on his phone—incoming and outgoing—all hit off of the Partlow tower.

Although that doesn't rule out SD's involvement, you're right in that the distance means he couldn't be using both phones himself and that this is a huge hole in that theory.

Has stepdad's name ever been released?
And has he ever made a statement anywhere?

?

Phones sometimes ping off of towers 40 miles away. The stepdad may have only driven 4 miles in those 4 minutes, but that could be enough to move out of range of one tower and into the rsnge of another. If the towers were 20 miles apart, that could create the illusion that he traveled 20 miles in 4 minutes.

I am 100% convinced that the stepfather murdered Katelin.

Has stepdad's name ever been released?
And has he ever made a statement anywhere?

?

The Disappeared episode does mention him by name, but since I haven't seen anyone here write it, I thought maybe we're not supposed to mention it? But you can find it in the episode or with a Google search.

Phones sometimes ping off of towers 40 miles away. The stepdad may have only driven 4 miles in those 4 minutes, but that could be enough to move out of range of one tower and into the rsnge of another. If the towers were 20 miles apart, that could create the illusion that he traveled 20 miles in 4 minutes.

I am 100% convinced that the stepfather murdered Katelin.

Thanks for this valuable info! I didn't know it could work like that, but it would definitely explain the pings, and possibly even have him use both phones at once, four minutes apart. I totally agree that he's responsible, for whatever his reason.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back