Identified! WA - Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #6 *name withheld*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since it's buried in the post, those of you who have a GEDMatch kit number, especially if you have Hispanic and/or Native American are encouraged to share it with DNA Doe Project to do a direct comparison with Lyle!! They will be running them today and hopefully will have a match list by late tonight. Apparently one person who sent theirs to them is potentially a very distant cousin of Lyle's. Their email is admin@dnadoeproject.org or you can private message the kit number to their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/DNADoeProject/ You might want to indicate that you have native american and/or hispanic ancestry if that is the case.

I wish I could understand how all this DNA stuff works. But I'm excited! Big kudos to all working with these results right now and all who made this possible.

I'm in the same boat - don't understand a word of this outside of Hispanic and Native American, but as long as it gets him closer to identification, it's all good!

I have seen a few comments saying this would be an average Mexican ancestry breakdown (generally Mexican people are mixed to some degree). I wonder if anyone else has thoughts?

Native American and Hispanic could share genes/ancestry. Historically, especially in areas that became New Mexico and in that region, some more prominent Latinos took in and traded Native Americans as laborers (including slaves). They were called genizaros.

At times before colonialism, some indigenous peoples also took in slaves.

Heck, colonists enslaved Native Americans, too.

So mixed heritage is entirely possible, imho.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/28/us/indian-slaves-genizaros.html

https://www.npr.org/2016/12/29/5052...an-slaves-in-new-mexico-emerge-from-obscurity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_among_the_indigenous_peoples_of_the_Americas

http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-ca-jc-native-american-slavery-20160505-snap-story.html

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...nded-enslavement-indigenous-people-180957900/

That said, if his heritage is predominately Native, or predominantly Hispanic ...

More likely to have close relatives/family members who are, too. I think. I’m no scientist. [emoji6]

Gosh, I dunno.

That said, if his heritage is predominately Native, or predominantly Hispanic ...

More likely to have close relatives/family members who are, too. I think. I’m no scientist. [emoji6]

Gosh, I dunno.

Yeah a few people have said that their Mexican friends had a similar genetic breakdown to Lyle

It is on one hand surprising because supposedly minority groups are very underrepresented in GEDMatch but then again Lyle's DNA is apparently in great condition

According to the DNA Doe Project's Facebook page, Lyle has "many, many" matches.

I can't believe this is happening...Lyle's story will never be anything but tragic but because of the care, dedication and human spirit of so many, the ending (the only part of the story that we can change, after all) is turning out right, somehow. He may have died alone but since then he hasn't been alone...not for a second. People never gave up on him. I just want to let you all know how amazing you are. It truly does restores my faith in humanity.

Oh, leilarose68 already posted about the matches. Sorry! I was too excited about it to check if someone already had.

UPDATE ON NEW MEXICAN ROOTS:

https://www.facebook.com/DNADoeProj...009255824516/2036574253268016/?type=3&theater

Update – just to catch you all up on our first day of analysis. We will try to share what we can with you as the days go by, until it would risk identifying the family or any relatives.

Some of the closest matches we are seeing to Lyle are from the northern New Mexico area. They seem to be from established families who have lived in that region a long time. Some were originally from Mexico generations ago.

These particular families in this area – we are learning – often married among themselves, as close-knit communities often do. This is known as “endogamy” – many intermarriages between close or distant cousins occur frequently enough that individuals end up sharing a lot of DNA with each other. IF this is what we are seeing with Lyle’s matches, this means that although someone may appear to be a first cousin based on how much DNA they have in common, they may actually be a second cousin who shares great-grandparents on both sides of the family. It can be tricky to pull apart these family lines and relationships (as anyone who has worked with endogamous family groups knows). So although Lyle has many good matches, teasing apart these lines will take time.

UPDATE ON NEW MEXICAN ROOTS:

https://www.facebook.com/DNADoeProj...009255824516/2036574253268016/?type=3&theater

Update – just to catch you all up on our first day of analysis. We will try to share what we can with you as the days go by, until it would risk identifying the family or any relatives.

Some of the closest matches we are seeing to Lyle are from the northern New Mexico area. They seem to be from established families who have lived in that region a long time. Some were originally from Mexico generations ago.

These particular families in this area – we are learning – often married among themselves, as close-knit communities often do. This is known as “endogamy” – many intermarriages between close or distant cousins occur frequently enough that individuals end up sharing a lot of DNA with each other. IF this is what we are seeing with Lyle’s matches, this means that although someone may appear to be a first cousin based on how much DNA they have in common, they may actually be a second cousin who shares great-grandparents on both sides of the family. It can be tricky to pull apart these family lines and relationships (as anyone who has worked with endogamous family groups knows). So although Lyle has many good matches, teasing apart these lines will take time.

This is all great news!
I can't help but notice that Isotope findings brought up New Mexico a few times (during different time periods of Lyle's life).It Also brought up California, Arizona, Nevada. I wouldn't be surprised if his close relatives who know his identity would be from these regions.
Hope he is identified soon.

According to the DNA Doe Project's Facebook page, Lyle has "many, many" matches.

I can't believe this is happening...Lyle's story will never be anything but tragic but because of the care, dedication and human spirit of so many, the ending (the only part of the story that we can change, after all) is turning out right, somehow. He may have died alone but since then he hasn't been alone...not for a second. People never gave up on him. I just want to let you all know how amazing you are. It truly does restores my faith in humanity.

This exactly! I may not understand how the whole DNA thing works and all I can do is donate small amounts here and there, but I'm impressed and excited... hoping he will have his name back and a family can have answers. No matter how he died, Lyle deserves this.

This exactly! I may not understand how the whole DNA thing works and all I can do is donate small amounts here and there, but I'm impressed and excited... hoping he will have his name back and a family can have answers. No matter how he died, Lyle deserves this.
It’s a matter of time now. With the database growing daily, one of those matches will turn out to be a close one, a first cousin or sibling or similar. And that person will have an idea who Lyle could be. And then we will know.

Does this mean that making an effort to promote the poster and information in that part of New Mexico might be productive?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Does this mean that making an effort to promote the poster and information in that part of New Mexico might be productive?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

I would think so. But while his ancestors may have been from that area, he may have been born and grown up somewhere else completely. No guarantees but I would say play the best hand you have. Right now that is New Mexico and a dna match. And a close one will come.

I always wonder if he was one of IK first victim. IK gets out of the military
in July 2001. 9/11 happens. He’s not in the military and it’s frustrating. His friends are prepping for war, he’s out. He meets a traveler from another country or who looks like he’s from another country, and unleashes on him. IK had a very homogeneous growing up, with exposure to racism. The crisp cash came from an ATM most likely, likely IK used the card. As cash was always a motive. No possessions would be an IK move. Plus the fact the guys hair was perfect. Staged. Victim of chance. And I still think Lyle was that far north trying to exit the USA by ferry where you didn’t need much ID, then the borders got closed down.

Interesting theory. How did IK silently hang Lyle without leaving any mark of violence on him, and without anyone else seeing him come or go?

I'm so excited that they have found a few distant cousins from people who submitted their kit info! Apparently one that might even be a second cousin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea