Rebecca Zahau Wrongful death trial begins. Trial coverage and discussion #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Mica :wave: I also like the article below. Good info on the DNA. The Dr. Phil show sure did cause an uproar with SDSO. They had to call another press conference.

From 11/17/2011, questions for the Sheriffs Crime Lab Director Mr Grubb:

DAVID GOTFREDSON/CBS8:

Real quick. Was there mixed DNA found anywhere else in terms of the -- I think Ms. Bremner said on the show there was mixed DNA found on gloves, on the bed frame, and on the knife. Is there mixed DNA on those items?

GRUBB:

I'll run this down for you fairly quickly. Overwhelmingly, in 10 of the 11 rope segments -- err -- samples from the rope was Rebecca Zahau’s DNA that was found. In one of those samples there was a fragment of DNA from some other source, absolutely un- interpretable. There was a low level of DNA un-interpretable on the large knife from the bedroom floor. There was a low-level mixture of DNA not interpretable on a doorknob to the balcony. Those are the mixtures that I think she was -- and the black gardening gloves that were recovered from a table at the scene? Again, a low level mixture, un- interpretable.

http://www.760kfmb.com/story/1606801...nce-not-tested

How did they explicitly exclude Adam from UNinterpretable DNA again? Also, not sure if anyone else mentioned regarding the possible processing of the gloves -- Greer said in a podcast with Tricia that the gloves were improperly processed (or something to this effect) and could now not be tested -- they were useless for obtaining evidence.

--------
Edited above, as I accidentally posted "interpretable" when I intended to say UNinterpretable!

The Dr Pepper sitting on the defense table: was that a big "oops" or done on purpose?
Who could go into that house(do this) and "never be questioned"?
Have all of you WS completely come to the conclusion that "no one" else could have done this?
<modsnip>

The Dr Pepper sitting on the defense table: was that a big "oops" or done on purpose?
Who could go into that house(do this) and "never be questioned"?
Have all of you WS completely come to the conclusion that "no one" else could have done this?
<modsnip>

What purpose would it serve?

These phone records were obtained as part of the investigation of Max's injury. They wouldn't be available publicly.

Can you provide a link to this information? I don’t recall ever hearing that before.

Respectfully, Please provide links to back up what you have stated as facts, otherwise you are violating websleuths TOS, as I understand them.

I am replying also to the post you quoted from Jessica2012 which said:

"Jonah testified that when the doctor told her Max would never walk or talk again, she began &#8220;hysterical&#8221;. So did Rebecca, but unfortunately, she took her life during her mental breakdown. If she had onlty reached out to someone, we would not be here discussing this today."

BBM. So earlier in the discussion today (don't remember who said it) her 20 calls to her sister are indicative of her emotional distress, but OTOH she didn't reach out to anyone, and if she had, she might still be alive.

Uh...

I've said before, I'm just catching up on a lot of things. Forgive me if this has already been discussed ad nauseam.

What is the suicide theory regarding the black paint on her nipples?

Edit: or, to be more specific, how does the black paint on her nipples fit into the suicide theory?

Edited again to correct spelling mistake.

I am replying also to the post you quoted from Jessica2012 which said:

"Jonah testified that when the doctor told her Max would never walk or talk again, she began &#8220;hysterical&#8221;. So did Rebecca, but unfortunately, she took her life during her mental breakdown. If she had onlty reached out to someone, we would not be here discussing this today."

BBM. So earlier in the discussion today (don't remember who said it) her 20 calls to her sister are indicative of her emotional distress, but OTOH she didn't reach out to anyone, and if she had, she might still be alive.

Uh...

iirc, her sister testified nothing was wrong. It is up to the jury to decide whether she is credible.

Jonah testified that when the doctor told her Max would never walk or talk again, she began &#8220;hysterical&#8221;. So did Rebecca, but unfortunately, she took her life during her mental breakdown. If she had onlty reached out to someone, we would not be here discussing this today.

I remember hearing that Dina became hysterical.
Understandable as this was her only child. I can't even imagine.

I do not however recall hearing that Rebecca became hysterical. In fact the only description I recall is that she was in shock.
I was under the impression that she kept busy, kept in touch with family members and taxiing people around.

I didn't know anyone knew how she reacted to the alleged voicemail with bad news.
Obviously Jonah left her a voicemail, yes. However we will never know exactly what it said. Or how she reacted to it. Or if she ever heard it at all.

iirc, her sister testified nothing was wrong. It is up to the jury to decide whether she is credible.

FWIW, I've been on two juries, one state, one federal, the state one civil, the federal one criminal.

In both cases the jury instructions advised us to use our common sense and life experience as well as the evidence presented in the courtroom to come to a decision.

With that in mind, if I were on this jury I would find Mary credible according to both measures.

FWIW, I've been on two juries, one state, one federal, the state one civil, the federal one criminal.

In both cases the jury instructions advised us to use our common sense and life experience as well as the evidence presented in the courtroom to come to a decision.

With that in mind, if I were on this jury I would find Mary credible according to both measures.

I've been on several juries and since this case began, I have never found Mary credible. 20 calls in two days is an indication TO ME that something is terribly wrong. JMO

I watched this on the local tv in San Diego this evening.

http://www.kusi.com/rebecca-zahau-trial-latest-with-caitlin-rother/

Caitlin mentions that there will be no split. The judge's instructions for the jury in this case are all or nothing. If I was on the jury, I would find As to be held accountable. Too many inconsistencies within the Defense's case IMO. This is the reason the Judge gave these instructions, this case is a slam dunk for the Plaintiff, IMO

I've been on several juries and since this case began, I have never found Mary credible. 20 calls in two days is an indication TO ME that something is terribly wrong. JMO

Something WAS terribly wrong. Her boyfriend's son had had a horrific accident on her watch and was in critical condition with a grim prognosis.

Were I in that situation, I would be calling the lead members of my support group (my family, many miles away, just as Rebecca's was) for ... support.

That doesn't mean I would have been suicidal, however. Just that I was, understandably so, upset and seeking reassurance and support from people I trusted.

Something WAS terribly wrong. Her boyfriend's son had had a horrific accident on her watch and was in critical condition with a grim prognosis.

Were I in that situation, I would be calling the lead members of my support group (my family, many miles away, just as Rebecca's was) for ... support.

That doesn't mean I would have been suicidal, however. Just that I was, understandably so, upset and seeking reassurance and support from people I trusted.

That's right, something was terribly wrong. If a child had suffered massive injury and went into cardiac arrest while in my care and police had called me five times, I would be terribly stressed and upset. I would also feel guilt even though I knew I did nothing wrong. That's just me. Each juror has their own life experiences to influence their opinion as to whether they find a witness credible.

You understand that “excluded” means there is NO WAY Adam could have been a contributor to any of the DNA that was of high enough quantities to be tested, right?

Were there prints and DNA on the knives?
The small knife had Rebecca’s DNA, and only Rebecca’s DNA. No fingerprints were developed from this item. The large knife had Rebecca’s fingerprints, and only Rebecca’s fingerprints. A low level of DNA material was found on this knife as well, but it was not enough for any comparison.

Were there prints and DNA on the rope?
Rebecca’s DNA was found on the rope, particularly in areas that would have to be manipulated to tie the knots. Only Rebecca’s DNA was found on these items other than one “artifact,” which is a fragment of material that could be DNA, but does not contain enough information to determine who, or what, it came from (animals and plants also have DNA that can be left behind). The rope could not be fingerprinted.

http://www.sdsheriff.net/coronado/faq.html

You understand that when deciding this case the jury will be looking at the evidence presented during trial, not SDSOs answers on their FAQ page, right?

That's right, something was terribly wrong. If a child had suffered massive injury and went into cardiac arrest while in my care and police had called me five times, I would be terribly stressed and upset. I would also feel guilt even though I knew I did nothing wrong. That's just me. Each juror has their own life experiences to influence their opinion as to whether they find a witness credible.

BBM for focus.

Absolutely. I would feel the exact same way.

Nonetheless, those feelings wouldn't prompt me to commit suicide within a few hours in a particularly self-debasing way, particularly, ESPECIALLY if I knew I did nothing wrong.

The phone was properly processed. The fact that the message was deleted wasn't under the control of the SDSO but that also doesn't change the fact that the phone call was made and it lasted 2 minutes.

The Lead Detective had knowledge that the message would be deleted of carrier's server in 30 days.
The Lead Detective also knew the technique they were using to retrieve the message was not working.
The Lead Detective CHOSE to not contact the carrier to retrieve the message when their attempts failed and they knew time was of the essence.
The phone was never fingerprinted to see if anyone else (Like AS) touched her phone and could have listened to the voicemail.
The phone was NOT properly processed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member