CA CA - Hannah, 16, Devonte, 15, & Sierra Hart, 12, Mendocino County, 26 March 2018 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think Sarah was trained in methods of dealing with children with issues. Weighted vests. Mats with texture. I forget what else the OT told us about.

There are all kinds of ideas of what to do with kids with issues and if she did not learn them at school, she could look on line. Spanking , beating, and sticking the head under cold water are not ideas provided except I suppose for blanket trainer groups.

I would think Sarah was trained in methods of dealing with children with issues. Weighted vests. Mats with texture. I forget what else the OT told us about.

There are all kinds of ideas of what to do with kids with issues and if she did not learn them at school, she could look on line. Spanking , beating, and sticking the head under cold water are not ideas provided except I suppose for blanket trainer groups.

Don't you know it. I guess my fascination with this case is related to the fact that I would assume a lesbian couple so involved in progressive causes would be much more progressive in their parenting. I never truly believed that was the case across the board, but I still hoped. I certainly wouldn't have assumed this level of abuse.This case is pretty devastating to me as a result.

This is just a tiny bit off topic, but I'll share anyway...

With all the posts here about the photo of Devonte hugging the police officer, and people sharing their interpretations of what he was feeling in that moment, it made me think of the test called "Reading the Mind in the Eyes" by professor Simon Baron-Cohen.

Its a series of photos of eyes and you have to guess which of four choices is the emotion being expressed in the photo. It is designed to measure how well a person can read facial expressions/emotions.

I found an on-line version of the test you can take here- it will score you at the bottom.

Reading the Mind in the Eyes test- NYT

I thought it would be interesting for people who are trying to interpret Devonte's emotions in that photo to see how well they score on the test.

Don't you know it. I guess my fascination with this case is related to the fact that I would assume a lesbian couple so involved in progressive causes would be much more progressive in their parenting. I never truly believed that was the case across the board, but I still hoped. I certainly wouldn't have assumed this level of abuse.This case is pretty devastating to me as a result.

And with financial means to seek out help.

My sister adopted two kids with issues in MN and she was in a group with people who had children with issues that were adopted. I imagine if there was nothing in town, there would be online groups.

Instead, they chose this weird abusive route with isolating the family. That is what abusers do. Isolate. And the kids don’t say anything because it is the family secret.

There are things written on this issue

Does anyone know if Mrs. DeKalb put the requested food items out for Devonte on that last day? I've been holding onto the hope that she did, he took the food and he and two of his siblings ran away. However, the longer time goes on the harder it is to hold out hope. The food has either run out or is getting very low - not to mention if they were camping out in the elements. I've wondered also if in a fit of anger they dropped Devonte, Sierra and Hannah off somewhere because of the call to CPS and now everything was unraveling. I doubt now that's likely as someone would have had to have spotted three children alone by now. This case has really rocked me emotionally. I hope we all get some answers soon. The not knowing, the wondering if the remaining three are alive out there somewhere or in the water is just so agonizing. So many emotions over this horrible story. :(
Didn’t CPS come the next day? Or was that after the little girls visit?

LOL A guy I knew a long time ago, who lived out on a country road, once saw them approaching his door and quickly took all his clothes off and answered the door. hahaha

Hahaha I had a college friend who got so sick of it he would invite them in to drink some (nonexistent) whiskey and watch *advertiser censored* on the tv that he didn’t have. It was quite effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all the posts here about the photo of Devonte hugging the police officer, and people sharing their interpretations of what he was feeling in that moment, it made me think of the test called "Reading the Mind in the Eyes" by professor Simon Baron-Cohen.

Its a series of photos of eyes and you have to guess which of four choices is the emotion being expressed in the photo. It is designed to measure how well a person can read facial expressions/emotions.

I found an on-line version of the test you can take here- it will score you at the bottom.

I thought it would be interesting for people who are trying to interpret Devonte's emotions in that photo to see how well they score on the test.

22.low average

This is really interesting. I got 30/36.

I got a 33/36 would have been a 34 but my finger touched the wrong one by accident. 🤷🏾*♀️

IMO

Yes, most of the alternative lifestyle/progressive parents I’ve been around over the last dozen years or so are very much attachment parenting, talk it out, Janet Lansbury following, never ever a physical punishment type people but I’ve specifically found the people I wanted to be around and stayed away from the ones who stated things like it’s fine to “pop the butt” of a 1 year old for not minding. I’m 36 and spanking or physical punishment never happened in my home growing up and there’s no way on this great green earth I’d let it be a part of my children’s lives. My husband took some convincing but fortunately we hashed all of that out when our oldest was an infant. I was honestly horrified at what he’d suffered at the hands of “loving” family members.

Thanks for the update. Maybe they're a bit more lax with crowd shots? (Sometimes in sponsored events it's in the fine print, too, when you sign up to attend.)

Here's a link to the legal overview of when releases should be used (if interested): http://corporate.findlaw.com/litiga...ion-of-photographs-is-a-release-required.html

I attended a concert last year that was being recorded for a DVD and each and every person in attendance had to say their names (on camera) and give consent to being recorded.

Would love to see a version with more people from black, Hispanic, and Asian backgrounds.

IMO

Please someone explain to me how CPS is told by a child that her own mother, not only, hit her BUT subjected her to waterboarding and the child is left in the home? What CPS manual approves of that?

Please someone explain to me how CPS is told by a child that her own mother, not only, hit her BUT subjected her to waterboarding and the child is left in the home? What CPS manual approves of that?

The only CPS/mandated reporter manual I have on hand is Virginia. I’ll see if I can find MN’s but IMO in a case like this it was at the discretion of the prosecutor and the judge. https://www.dss.virginia.gov/files/.../publications/general/B032-02-0280-00-eng.pdf

He is very special, I like him a lot too.

Now what good natured mother wouldn't want a role model like that in her sons life? Even if it's just a few meetings or chats etc...please

IMO

My 2000 GMC does like 3 dings one time and has a dash light if a front seat passenger is not buckled, my 2005 Tahoe doesn’t ding but has the light on also only for the front passengers. TBH I can’t remember if at one point it did and just doesn’t anymore. I actually paid attention to it last night because I always buckle, but it’s a struggle to get my husband to and he was driving.

Very interesting discussions. Thanks everyone for all the updates.

My ford truck has an annoying ding ding ding and repeats too often till I buckle up. I once had a broken seat belt on it and I was surprised that it would finally time out and stop dinging. LOL

Ive been trying to focus on the open doors. Wondering how often in crash like theirs that they would both fly open. I have to leave now and will try to look later about it.

I almost wonder if the two adults had planned to roll out right before it went over the cliff and pretend it was a bad accident. It just seems strange to me that both doors were open. I guess with an impact like that maybe it is not uncommon.

I did find this interesting link about how to escape a car that is teetering on a cliff. Not much help for this case but interesting. The one part about locked doors in back is interesting. Not sure if their vehicle even had back doors.

https://www.wikihow.com/Get-out-of-a-Car-That's-Hanging-over-a-Cliff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member