CA CA - Hannah, 16, Devonte, 15, & Sierra Hart, 12, Mendocino County, 26 March 2018 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I look at a lot of the photos I think that Hannah fought back in many different ways. Her demeanor in many photos, she didn't always smile, one photo it appeared as if she was deliberately looking away from the camera. When she told the dekalbs she wanted to go back to Seattle I wonder who was there?
IMO

Fought against what? In what ways?

I think Hannah running that night could have been as simple as her speaking up to one of her parents, and running for her life after. When you're being abused, you usually do everything you can to please your abuser. She may have lashed out or tried to defend herself, and then knew she was in big trouble. Ugh, that poor girl. That would have been enough to jump out the window in fear. [emoji174]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I had a situation like that with my father. I spoke up to him about him abusing my brother and he responded very violently. I was old enough to have a driver's license and know how to drive. Afterwards, I was within a hair's breath of just taking the car and running. Only the knowledge that the police would bring me back and I didn't have any money or any way to effect any real change in my life stopped me. If I had been less able to see the end result, I likely would have tried to escape.

But, if looking for a teaching job that paid well and had great benefits and vacation time, then why not Colorado. They were a mobile family, so if teaching was an option with a good salary, why not do it?

What was a beginning teacher’s salary there compared to the cost of living?

Vacations are a time when teachers get to take trainings in order to have the credits necessary to renew their licenses or to catch up on their schoolwork.

For instance, if a high school teacher has 150 students who write a one page paper, that is 150 pages of correction. Of course, no one gets to write only a one page paper.

I think it is something like 50% of teachers leave within the first five years. Sarah may have realized the job she had paid more and did.not live with her evenings and weekends. And she did not have to supply the store with basics such as paper, pencils, food and clothing for her coworkers.

Wow! read the last sentence of this partial article.

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/family-killers

The four types of family annihilator

Examining all the cases led to the identification of four distinct characteristics that drove the murderer, which helps to dismantle the common myth that family killings are motivated either by "revenge" or "altruism".

Self-righteous killers hold the mother responsible for the breakdown of the family and will often call her before to explain what he is about to do. Disappointed killers believe their family has let them down, and the killing could be sparked by something like children not choosing to follow religious customs. Anomic killers see the family as a symbol of their own economic success, but if they suffer some kind of economic failure -- bankruptcy, for example -- the family no longer serves this function. Paranoid killers are often motivated by a desire to protect their family from a perceived threat, such as having children taken away by social services.

This is a fascinating article, thanks for sharing.

FWIW, they have updated the media release to show Sierra as 15.
https://us12.campaign-archive.com/?u=d58e8d47c32727a999b3dde01&id=9100903b2f
Missing Persons:

Devonte Hart, 15 years of age, Woodland Washington
Hannah Hart, 16 years of age, Woodland Washington
Sierra Hart, 15 years of age, Woodland Washington

Due to the massive media attention related to this incident the Mendocino County Sheriff's Office has been receiving an overwhelming amount of telephone calls and emails. The massive number of inquires for information is hampering the routine daily operations of the Mendocino County Sheriff's Office.

In an attempt to resolve this situation the Mendocino County Sheriff's Office will be sending out a press release each day at 9:00 AM highlighting information from the previous day's investigative work.

A daily press release will be most helpful! Perhaps it should be 'required reading' for those following case. ;->

~jmo~

What was a beginning teacher’s salary there compared to the cost of living?

Vacations are a time when teachers get to take trainings in order to have the credits necessary to renew their licenses or to catch up on their schoolwork.

For instance, if a high school teacher has 150 students who write a one page paper, that is 150 pages of correction. Of course, no one gets to write only a one page paper.

I think it is something like 50% of teachers leave within the first five years. Sarah may have realized the job she had paid more and did.not live with her evenings and weekends. And she did not have to supply the store with basics such as paper, pencils, food and clothing for her coworkers.

Different places, different degrees, different stuff. Professionally certified teachers don't take course during vacation time.

Sarah didn't have a job as a teacher. She completed a teaching degree, and then there was a full stop in those career ambitions.

Typically, where I am, practicum assignments are divided between elementary, and junior/senior secondary. Secondary teachers have three practicums: junior, senior, and sometimes government programs. Elementary practicums are only grades 1-6.

Beyond parent teacher interviews and parent-teacher relationships, there's classroom management, teaching and learning. The management piece occassionally reduces practicum teachers to tears and other inappropriate responses.

A quick search of teacher and Kohl salaries was $53k for Kohls managers, and $51k for teachers in Colorado. If the money is the same, and teacher job includes three months of vacation, why be a store manager?

51k for a beginning teacher? Or is that the average salary? The average salary is a misleadiing figure. Did you find the salary schedule from a particular school district?

I've known people who were very emotionally disturbed who just got in cars and drove on a whim. Miles and miles, states away.

Hypothetical scenario: Jen is volatile on a good day but the CPS visit made her crazy. Angry at the neighbors, the kids, Sarah (because the spouse is a target when anything goes wrong, right?) She orders them all to get in the car. They are all too scared of her to say no, so they get in. They take the dogs because the dogs are used to riding in the car on outings with them. Jen rants and raves and Sarah and the kids stay quiet. Or, the argue back with her. At some point, either from despair or anger, she decides to take care of her problems permanently. She see everyone in the car as a unit, or considers them all responsible for her despair or anger. So she takes them with her.

jmo

I am too optimistic. I ran a scenario in my head where Jen ignores the knock. Early articles say a card was left per the DeKalb neighbors. So Jen finds the card and hides it. Sarah gets home and Jen is full of life like she used to be or sometimes was and wants to go back to a favorite spot. Spur of the moment, c'mon....like the good old days....

Or maybe Sarah comes home to find the CPS card and/or a despondent or enraged Jen and she wants to get away to a happier place to clear their heads. I do think the trips might've been wonderful in their own way, even if you knew it would go right back to hell once back home. Maybe you didn't have to worry about the rules on vacation so much.

I say that because my SO loves to vacation in theory. He's a bear trying to plan and pack and get out the door, but as soon as we're past that landmark that says we're "on our way!" he's like a carefree kid. Until we get close to home and all that laundry and equipment and life is still there waiting for him to be grumpy about it again.

I am too optimistic. I ran a scenario in my head where Jen ignores the knock. Early articles say a card was left per the DeKalb neighbors. So Jen finds the card and hides it. Sarah gets home and Jen is full of life like she used to be or sometimes was and wants to go back to a favorite spot. Spur of the moment, c'mon....like the good old days....

Or maybe Sarah comes home to find the CPS card and/or a despondent or enraged Jen and she wants to get away to a happier place to clear their heads. I do think the trips might've been wonderful in their own way, even if you knew it would go right back to hell once back home. Maybe you didn't have to worry about the rules on vacation so much.

I say that because my SO loves to vacation in theory. He's a bear trying to plan and pack and get out the door, but as soon as we're past that landmark that says we're "on our way!" he's like a carefree kid. Until we get close to home and all that laundry and equipment and life is still there waiting for him to be grumpy about it again.

Good theory! My only question is what about Sarah's work? I guess without knowing if she happened to have some days off, we will only be able to speculate. Maybe they already planned this trip though. It's a possibility.

Most definitely that was a bold brave thing for a little girl to do during the middle of the night. She had courage.

Indeed she did have courage, but she was also desperate. She knew more than we will ever know about how it was living inside of that house. Although she was small in stature/build, she was 15-16 yrs old and had lived with her adoptive parents for many years and all too aware of what was going-on. I agree with those who suggest she was the scapegoat.

There are some lessons to be learned and one of them is Report, and particularly when a minor child arrives at your door at 1:30 am covered in weeds from having RUN from her home. You don't have to be the judge: Call the authorities to make that decision.

If I were the neighbors, I would be grieving for the rest of my life that I did not Report.

~jmo~

I guess you haven't ever gone on any super low budget California road trips.

Sleeping in the car is not unusual in Cali, when in a pinch. You lean your seat back and sleep as well as you can manage. Like you were in an airplane.

I think the cost of a motel, in a tourist area, for a family of 8, might be more than they wanted to spend---unless Jen already knew what she was going to do.

If this was end result was planned, then I could imagine she would rent them a glorious night at the River Inn, and a great big room service dinner.

But I don't think she was certain how it was going to end, until she made the turn into the Look Out point,

Sure. I did it once on a trip because it was the Fourth of July and when we got to the location, there was not a single place to stay. It was something my husband had to do for work. He had to deliver a missed item. We took my son who was about 8. So we stayed in the parking lot of a college. It was beyond uncomfortable. There were not 8 people in the car and it was unbearable.

Here's something I hadn't thought of. What if one or more of the children kept a journal? It would be really common that out of 6 children several of them would have had one. I will also note that unless the photos were completely staged, some of the children were reading pretty high level books. If that is true, and there are journals, they could really shed some light on what was going on in that house.

On a related note, since there isn't anyone to try for this crime, I wonder if any information they gained from the house will be released. And if so, on what timeline? I admit complete ignorance on how and why or even if things like that can be released.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361