ACTIVE SEARCH CA - Hannah, 16, Devonte, 15, & Sierra Hart, 12, Mendocino County, 26 Mar 2018 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I taught children who were in homes below the poverty level for thirty years. We ate linch and snacks in the classroom. I had food hoarders but never once did I have a child who ate out of the garbage,No one ever tried to sneak food out of the garbage can.

Right or wrong, I,let them take as much food as they wanted. I never said one word if their last multiple helping was thrown away. I did not want them to think foord was restricted in anyway. I know there is a food waste problem in the US, but to me it was more important to see that at school, food was no issue.

What they did at home I had no idea.

It is possible that out of the hundreds of children I had, there were no children who were deprived of food in an abusive way. They may have been deproved because there was no food, but not because anyone was being cruel.

I cannot figure out why someone would eat out of the garbage if other food was available. Why not choose something more yummy?

Just guessing here but one factor is probably that food from the garbage wouldn't be noticed missing. If the child thought they'd be punished for taking food, that would be one way to do it without getting caught. (And they may not have actually been punished but just been afraid that they would be.)

^^^^^ Mz, I believe, IMO, there was more evidence at this time of worse things had been happening in that home.

Was there more severe starvation, or more physical abuse, or physically restraining, or sexual abuse or incest ????

Something was worse this time and the evidence was there. They knew they couldn't squirm out this time.

But with the crash, water degradation and condition of the bodies when found, this info may not come out.

I'm hoping maybe there's some type of journal to be found somewhere. Maybe one of the kids keeping one in a secret place, or even one of the adults keeping one on their phone or laptop.

Interesting, different view of couple from the early beginnings. Even with one child they were a little harsh. I can't imagine being taken to a beauty counter and made to have a 'makeover', parents watching arms crossed...

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...-remember-previous-foster-child-in-minnesota/
Oh my. Thank you for sharing that. So Jen vandalized the property of her employer and they were fine with it, huh? Hmm. I would love to hear more about that time of their lives and if they fostered any other children.

Wow.The eating out of garbage cans persists. Seems like some of the kids they had liked eating out of the garbage.

We had a curious custom at our home. Our kids could go into the refrigerator and the cupboards to get food. I wonder if they ever tried that unique idea.

And the person reporting that all parents they know spank. Funny, but none of my friends spanked their kids. And putting a head under cold water and leaving bruises that hurt the next day is no problemo?

It makes me womder what these people think good parenting is.
As I was drifting off to sleep last night a horrible thought occurred to me--one of the first things they were accused of was immersing a child in water. And the last thing, as well. Somehow it all just hit me as such a cruel cycle.

I suspect that was the case with the foster child. That they complained to others about her eating out of the garbage can and not being smart says that they needed help for this girl...more than a makeover at a department store could accomplish. So what made it seem to be a good idea to take on 3 small children and then 3 more a few years later?

And cutting nipples of mannequins? Is she nuts? Does this tie in with keeping the kids small...preventing sexualization? Or am I over-analyzing this?

Bbm: No, I don't think you are over analyzing at all. And yes, Jen is demented.

It's really rather a violent image. Take a hacksaw to a mannequin? Especially for a natural part of the anatomy? And symbolically as much about nourishment as anything else?

Guess there were no Barbies, black Barbies, rainbow Barbies, whatever on the approved toy list...

Wonder what they told these kids about the birds and the bees?

I'm hoping maybe there's some type of journal to be found somewhere. Maybe one of the kids keeping one in a secret place, or even one of the adults keeping one on their phone or laptop.

Yes, because all we have is Jen´s fake narrative. Not even Sarah´s.

The kids need to be HEARD!

I thought that very thing....wondering if Jen had obssesive compulsive disorder that coupled with these gaming guild and control issues...the anger etc, NO EXCUSE WHATSOEVER but i like to understand things, she still got what she deserved, if you know these things, give the kids, up.....but for clairty, not the OCD where one washes their hand over and over.....the house too appear to be very neat, esp with all those kids, my house isnt THAT neat and there's just 2 of us
Looks like a dumpster or composter?
I must say it’s a well kept rural property.

Right, that is exactly what I have been asking myself this whole time. They got CPS called on them more than once before. So, what was so terrible that she thought she couldn't get away with? I don't think she (they) was thinking about comming back. CA is a long way from WA. Sarah probably had to go to work eventually, maybe she was already missing work days (not sure if she worked weekends or not). They left everything back. They did even take toothbrushes with them? I don't know but I keep thinking that Jen (or both of them) was not planning to ever get back.

I feel like the plunge over the edge wasn't planned, that they took off in a panic. Maybe they had the idea of just "running away" from everyone and everything. They were afraid of facing an investigation, possible jail time, having the kids removed, etc. so they thought they'd take the kids and skip town and go as far away as possible. Only that isn't realistic-it's VERY hard for someone to totally go off the grid these days and remain "hidden", especially with that big of a family. (Though I know people who still manage to do a pretty decent job of it.) I could see them traveling for a few days and the panic slowly giving way to fear: they're afraid to go back but really don't have a plan for going forward, either. And that's when whatever happened, happened. Mix fear, paranoia, mental illness (I'm not going to internet diagnose someone I've never met, but mentally healthy people don't drive their families over cliffs), and possible psychosis and you get a tragedy.

As a social worker, I had many families tell me that when they first heard that someone had made a report on them, their first instinct was to take the kids and go hide someplace where they couldn't be found.

The million dollar question.
Could it be that the kids were now teens and would talk about all that happened in that household?
Yep. I think that was it. The reports were piling up and the kids were getting older - harder to manipulate or coach. Even if they managed to evade CPS again, the kids were getting closer to their 18th birthdays. Markis never left, but I'm sure Devonte or Hannah or some of the others would've left the second they turned 18, thus ruining Jen and Sarah's image. I think Jen and Sarah needed to feel "special". Having a litter of rescue puppies (that's really how they viewed the kids) fulfilled that need.

My first reaction to seeing the birthday video was it's more like a slick production that snippets from a family outing. Strictly from a technical perspective the birthday video might be considered good, but from a creative standpoint it's not that original. In many ways it's a ripoff of the artist's official video for the song "Wild Child" that JH used. IMO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTh4NaIJgrE

Huh. That is interesting to see. I may have to rewatch the bday video now. Maybe the video itself is the 37th bday present. I mean it was already clearly all staged shots, but if the point was to make a surprise music video inspired by this song, instead of just putting a vacation trip to music....I might feel a little differently about some parts.

I thought that very thing....wondering if Jen had obssesive compulsive disorder that coupled with these gaming guild and control issues...the anger etc, NO EXCUSE WHATSOEVER but i like to understand things, she still got what she deserved, if you know these things, give the kids, up.....but for clairty, not the OCD where one washes their hand over and over.....the house too appear to be very neat, esp with all those kids, my house isnt THAT neat and there's just 2 of us

With so many kids it is absolutely normal that a house is cluttered.
Not so much here, but I doubt anything at all was normal there.

What bothers me is why weren't there "(Kid)'s (___)th Birthday Adventure!" videos? Or even one big "birthday adventure" that they did once a year? These women just come across as so self centered.

I hate how easily people can be fooled.

Exactly! All them kids... there should have been tons of footage if they were truly having fun. Man it's so disgusting...

IMO

These kids were just props. The second the camera quit taking pictures- Im sure the poses and smiles went away.
Originally Posted by emma.laurens View Post [url said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjpD...ature=youtu.be[/url]

That facebook group is a joke- so many people who had to be their friends saying they are innocent.

hmm interesting thought if it hasn't been brought up already, Ive followed teh case but not seriously on WS here......WONDERING WHERE THIS BDAY CELEBRTION WAS SHOT AT? iWondering if its close to the crash site a year later..,,they mustve known the area well

Does anyone else think Devonte and another girl ran away with the dogs? Heer is my thinking yesterday, other than the obvious, devonte was piling up food, even mrs dekabl thought he may be going to run away, I dont know if she saw EACH child in the car or loading up the car friday night....Dekalbs said that devonte did NOT want them to call police.....WHY? Police would have hunted any runaways down and returned them to their abusive moms, they would have been seen as just unruly orphans with early mental issues and trouble now

He did not want Dekalbs to tell his moms about the food.....WHY? besdies teh obvious they wouldhave got beaten.....they would have taken the stash of food away adn he'd have no food for his escape plan to leave..

Why was Devonte continually asking her if she called CPS and he was at the dekalbs THREE times on THrusday and latest was 11:30 that night.....because if he and a sibling were missing and the dekalbs told teh cps what wsa gonig on, they would want to know WHERE EACH AND every child was, they would wnat them accuonted for as part of their investigaton....the other children may and hopefully would be taken away as was his hope and plan

there are still 2 children and 1 to 3 dogs missing

Hannah wanted to go to Seattle....whatever is there

I hope atleast these 2 are unaccounted fOR becauSE they are on the run.....they will be too scared to come out for a while if so AND if they dont know about the deaths of the others

JUST A MOM WITH HOPE~

With so many kids it is absolutely normal that a house is cluttered.
Not so much here, but I doubt anything at all was normal there.

Of course...

Most people pick up a bit (to a lot) before taking pics, at least the ones that end up on the internet. I have chosen not to show pics that show a soda in the background. I’m certainly not posting one with a pile of laundry or the kitchen two minutes after supper is completed!

And many large families are better organized out of necessity. And older kids have fewer “toys” around throughout the house. And more hands keeps the work lighter also. I have yet to see a house that isn’t fairly put together of a family with 5-12 kids.

ANd it may not be that the families are that way prior to getting kids. And certainly doesn’t suggest OCD. Sometimes you learn as you add kids. Or many foster parents worry about being judged by caseworkers and such. One thing my mom really liked about us fostering was that I seemed to keep house a lot better/more easily. I got the hang of it once I had a houseful of kids and knew that any number of people could knock on the door at any time.

I just kinda think people are reaching by saying they must have had mental issues to keep a nice house with six kids.

Of course...

Most people pick up a bit (to a lot) before taking pics, at least the ones that end up on the internet. I have chosen not to show pics that show a soda in the background. I’m certainly not posting one with a pile of laundry or the kitchen two minutes after supper is completed!

And many large families are better organized out of necessity. And older kids have fewer “toys” around throughout the house. And more hands keeps the work lighter also. I have yet to see a house that isn’t fairly put together of a family with 5-12 kids.

ANd it may not be that the families are that way prior to getting kids. And certainly doesn’t suggest OCD. Sometimes you learn as you add kids. Or many foster parents worry about being judged by caseworkers and such. One thing my mom really liked about us fostering was that I seemed to keep house a lot better/more easily. I got the hang of it once I had a houseful of kids and knew that any number of people could knock on the door at any time.

I just kinda think people are reaching by saying they must have had mental issues to keep a nice house with six kids.

No, not just that.
The whole picture.

(Coming out of lurkdom to say between this, and the Turpins, my mind can't help but wonder how many other kids out there are being purposely starved...)

Yeah it just really hit me, too. She seems like the baby, and it just really REALLY struck me exactly how tiny and young she looks. Ugh it's so heartbreaking!

Wait wasn't Jeremiah the oldest? Terrible either way.

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member