CA - Hannah,16,Devonte,15,&Ciera Hart,12 (fnd deceased),Mendocino Cty,26 Mar 2018 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
A picture of Hannah from September 2011, before she lost her front teeth, showing a very bright smile.

attachment.php

Just for perspective, the year this picture was taken SH plead guilty to abusing Abigail and got 1 year probation, the children were pulled from public school, and they participated in an Occupy Minneapolis demonstration.

The children had been with the women for approximately 2 years and 5 years at this point.
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...f/2018/03/hart_family_deadly_crash_a_tim.html

So I want to say upfront that IF the Harts knew of what I’m going to say, it seems more likely to me that they would use it to cover their tears than using it wholeheartedly for the best interests of the children.

1) many times kids “from hard places” are a bit behind socially, even developmentally. So the 10yo seems 6 or the 19yo seems 14. So it may be that kids weren’t dating, going to college, driving, etc simply because they weren’t ready yet.

2) many times kids “from hard places” need rules that seem odd to the average person. Their intimacy with others, their relationship with food, etc can all be skewed so rules keep them safe and keep healthy boundaries until the child shows they can follow normal patterns of behavior in their own.

3) many times, it is encouraged to parents of kids “from hard places” to keep their world small. Homeschooling, limited friendships, not doing certain activities all help kids develop healthy familiar relationships, keep anxiety lower, help minimize behaviors, etc.

4) there are studies that show family socialization to be what really shapes a person socially. You have healthy role models from your parents and older siblings. You teach younger siblings. You have your best friends often within a family. Of course, it’s not the ONLY socialization suggested. Normally, people would have people they did things with, hung around at least semi-regularly, could go to when they need help, etc. But generally, school type socialization isn’t “real world” nor the healthiest version.

5) discipline for kids from hard places looks different. Sometimes it may appear we are too lenient or making excuses. Sometimes people wonder why we put up with certain things. But many times, we are ultra consistent, have clearly drawn lines, and hope the child feels more secure with knowing the boundaries. And if those boundaries do bend, our child may not be able to understand that this was a special circumstance. So bedtime is at X every single night without fail. A kid may NEVER get a sofa. They may only be allowed to hug people with their last name. They must hold mama’s shirt tail in public. Whatever.

For an adoptive child, especially one born addicted to drugs, who had several homes, who experienced neglect and abuse, homeschooling, a small world, strange rules, strict (not harsh!) discipline, recognizing they are a little behind developmentally may be extra helpful.

I think my biggest thought regarding this is to encourage people to know that this is encouraged TO SOME DEGREE to adoptive families. Don’t jump to heavily on the idea that we are all hiding something if we are doing some/all of these things.

Again, maybe the Harts heard some of these things and ran with it. Or maybe they used them as excuses to go too far with it all. Or maybe they never did any research and were clueless on top of abusive.

I just wanted to share some things you might not know about.

Great post!!!! Great reminder...

Regarding lawsuits and insurance settlements, etc-- as others have stated, it is true that the bio parents have no further legal claims to anything related to any of the Hart children. It appears that Jen legally adopted the first set of siblings, and subsequently became legally married to Sarah. We don't know (yet) if Sarah either legally adopted any/ all of the kids as a second parent, or became their legal parent by virtue of her marriage to Jen.

So the best I can tell is that with no surviving children, and both spouses deceased, the next of kin for the children's final arrangements will be Jen and/ or Sarah's parents. If that is legally true, they "could" work voluntarily with the bio parents as to the bio mom's stated desire in the interview to have the kids buried in Texas near her. However, the next of kin (Jen's parents, and/or Sarah's parents) have no obligation legally to work with the Texas bio mom, or to communicate with her or any of the TX bio relatives.

Texas bio-relatives have no standing to sue any insurance companies for any money related to the crash. They have no standing legally to bring any kind of wrongful death suit, either.

Severing of parental rights, particularly in cases like this, is quite a lengthy legal process, with many interdisciplinary layers, and not undertaken for frivolous matters, or one time "mistakes".

I can vouch for this. It took the state of CO 4 long years to sever my sisters rights to her 4 children. This is after verbal and physical abuse from her, smoking meth with the 3 and 4 year old in the room, kidnapping 3 of them on a visitation and running all over the state of CA and NV with her pimp high on meth and prostituting before being located 6 weeks later. ONLY after not staying clean after being arrested on kidnapping were her rights terminated. Just to give you a vague idea of the severity of things that can be going on before bio parents lose rights.

So I want to say upfront that IF the Harts knew of what I’m going to say, it seems more likely to me that they would use it to cover their tears than using it wholeheartedly for the best interests of the children.

1) many times kids “from hard places” are a bit behind socially, even developmentally. So the 10yo seems 6 or the 19yo seems 14. So it may be that kids weren’t dating, going to college, driving, etc simply because they weren’t ready yet.

2) many times kids “from hard places” need rules that seem odd to the average person. Their intimacy with others, their relationship with food, etc can all be skewed so rules keep them safe and keep healthy boundaries until the child shows they can follow normal patterns of behavior in their own.

3) many times, it is encouraged to parents of kids “from hard places” to keep their world small. Homeschooling, limited friendships, not doing certain activities all help kids develop healthy familiar relationships, keep anxiety lower, help minimize behaviors, etc.

4) there are studies that show family socialization to be what really shapes a person socially. You have healthy role models from your parents and older siblings. You teach younger siblings. You have your best friends often within a family. Of course, it’s not the ONLY socialization suggested. Normally, people would have people they did things with, hung around at least semi-regularly, could go to when they need help, etc. But generally, school type socialization isn’t “real world” nor the healthiest version.

5) discipline for kids from hard places looks different. Sometimes it may appear we are too lenient or making excuses. Sometimes people wonder why we put up with certain things. But many times, we are ultra consistent, have clearly drawn lines, and hope the child feels more secure with knowing the boundaries. And if those boundaries do bend, our child may not be able to understand that this was a special circumstance. So bedtime is at X every single night without fail. A kid may NEVER get a sofa. They may only be allowed to hug people with their last name. They must hold mama’s shirt tail in public. Whatever.

For an adoptive child, especially one born addicted to drugs, who had several homes, who experienced neglect and abuse, homeschooling, a small world, strange rules, strict (not harsh!) discipline, recognizing they are a little behind developmentally may be extra helpful.

I think my biggest thought regarding this is to encourage people to know that this is encouraged TO SOME DEGREE to adoptive families. Don’t jump to heavily on the idea that we are all hiding something if we are doing some/all of these things.

Again, maybe the Harts heard some of these things and ran with it. Or maybe they used them as excuses to go too far with it all. Or maybe they never did any research and were clueless on top of abusive.

Define "hard places"

Do we have any evidence all the children were addicted to drugs?

I doubt these heartless women got advice and "ran with it." The only time I think they ran was from accountability and across the states to evade cps.

They deserved to be placed under the jail.

[emoji1488]'s up for all the children.

MOO*

So that might indicate that the text from Sarah was just to let Cheryl know that she wasn't going to be at work perhaps? The friend, Cheryl Hart, could be a co-worker as well.

That might make sense IF Cheryl Hart is a co-worker and Sarah worked Saturday's? --Still, it's a really odd time to send a text.

I understand what you are saying and I agree with this, but not in the case of the Harts.

I can't reconcile the number of festivals these kids went to with kids who have many challenges behaviorally, socially, emotionally and intellectually. Nor can I imagine, as a parent, bringing 6 young kids to events like these when they were basically 5 to 9 years old in 2011 and then again in 2012, 2013 and beyond. Events like these would have thrown home discipline out the window for the duration of the event. Social boundaries changed drastically for the kids at these events, as adult interaction was intense and many of the adult who interacted with these kids saw them more as spiritual blessings than children. The sensory stimulation at these events would be challenging for kids with issues.

IDK why, but my gut says for Jen and Sarah to be bringing these kids to festivals as early as 2011, that the kids had to be fairly well behaved and manageable, especially given the multitude of photos showing them all together and the kids appearing to be cooperative and smiling for cameras.

Forget the Hart women for a moment. What do you think the children would have said in response to this?

THEIR voices have been silent and this type of post for me is not victim-friendly.
It's superficial theorizing at best.

MOO*

I was a teacher for over thirty years in schools where most of the kids came from poverty. I had children who were adopted or were living with relatives or in shelters. I had some that were born drug addicted. Or some that came from intact families.

I did have parents who disappeared when we as school personnel started getting too close to examining what was happening . One that really bothered me was a woman from a farm in Southern MN. Lots of strange things. But she fled.

With hundreds of children I taught, I have to say we never treated the children differently. They had rules and expectations. We would take data on what triggered them, and then try to change things so the triggers would be addressed,

For instance, children who have instability like things the same. So if any changes in the classroom are to be made, we do them together as a group rather than them walking into a new situation,

One girl freaked out when coming to school. Why? The psychologist analyzed it and it was because she could not scan the room because we had a bookcase right by the door. She did not feel safe unless she could scan the room.

Fortunately we had staff who I could discuss things with. Weighted vests, texture balls to squeeze, sitting on texture mats. And we discussed methods with the child on what to do if they were going to have a meltdown.

This was all with kids of varying abilities and ethnicities. In all of my years, I did not have to resort to punishment. The children were able to work as a team and we could discuss and brainstorm.or they could express their anger and we would listen. That is all they wanted. Someone to listen. The original issue did not even matter after the child was heard. We would ask what the child wanted out of the situation. It was so amazing.

I did not allow items from home because they get stolen or lost. But sometimes some kid needed whatever it was he needed. We discussed the need as a group. Then the next couple of days several kids brought their “needed” items but they promptly forgot about them as they did not really need them.

I am so passionate about this because I know it works. Not because I am teacher and greatest person of the year, but because I had training.

We had a special grant for a few years. One time a man came and sat in my room for the whole time taking notes. At the end of the day, he asked me if the kids were always so well behaved. I have to admit I was astounded myself.

The next day things went back to normal.

We can make a difference in kid’s lives by treating them with respect. They are amazing. The positive things they think of!

Big emotions are a learning time because they will have them all of their lives. Learning what to do with those big emotions is critical.

I was a teacher for over thirty years in schools where most of the kids came from poverty. I had children who were adopted or were living with relatives or in shelters. I had some that were born drug addicted. Or some that came from intact families.

I did have parents who disappeared when we as school personnel started getting too close to examining what was happening . One that really bothered me was a woman from a farm in Southern MN. Lots of strange things. But she fled.

With hundreds of children I taught, I have to say we never treated the children differently. They had rules and expectations. We would take data on what triggered them, and then try to change things so the triggers would be addressed,

For instance, children who have instability like things the same. So if any changes in the classroom are to be made, we do them together as a group rather than them walking into a new situation,

One girl freaked out when coming to school. Why? The psychologist analyzed it and it was because she could not scan the room because we had a bookcase right by the door. She did not feel safe unless she could scan the room.

Fortunately we had staff who I could discuss things with. Weighted vests, texture balls to squeeze, sitting on texture mats. And we discussed methods with the child on what to do if they were going to have a meltdown.

This was all with kids of varying abilities and ethnicities. In all of my years, I did not have to resort to punishment. The children were able to work as a team and we could discuss and brainstorm.or they could express their a fer and we would listen. That is all they wanted. Someone to listen. The original issue did not even matter after the child was heard. We would ask what the child wanted out of the situation. It was so amazing.

I did not allow items from home because they get stolen or lost. But sometimes some kid needed whatever it was he needed. We discussed the need as a group. Then the next couple of days several kids brought their “needed” items but they promptly forgot about them as they did not really need them.

I am so passionate about this because I know it works. Not because I am teacher and greatest person of the year, but because I had training.

We had a special grant for a few years. One time a man came and sat in my room for the whole time taking notes. At the end of the day, he asked me if the kids were always so well behaved. I have to admit I was astounded myself.

We can make a difference in kid’s lives by treating them with respect. They are amazing. The positive things they think of!

Big emotions are a learning time because they will have them all of their lives. Learning what to do with those big emotions is critical.

:goodpost:

This brought tears to my eyes, because it speaks to the truth of dealing with children. They deserve respect and understanding.

Almost complete isolation seems extreme. They had these kids for years and possibly a couple of the kids from infancy. When are the kids able to finally do normal socializing? Apparently 19 years of age isn't the magic number.

Surely children from "hard places" can't be shut indoors and limited forever. If a child is so mentally stunted that they need to be extremely restricted, that child mostly certainly needs continued therapy instead of just isolation like a bird in a cage.

I should have kept a chart. When I had my parent teacher conferences, almost every parent seemed to ask if their child has a friend in school. Interesting how important that was.

It does not matter if you are gifted beyond belief if you do not have friends and can get along in the world.

human, that was a beautiful and accurate and moving post. thanks so much.....can we clone you?

IMHO Markis looks unwell in pretty much every photo of him. Swelling in his face, yes, but also his color is off, his eyes look like they have bags, etc. I think the previous poster who said that keeping the kids in almost all-white crowds helped to mask their condition because white folks have less of a reference point for the nuances of what the range of normal growth and coloring is for a black child. If they had been around fellow black folks, more people would have been concerned about their appearance. And NOT accepted the "moms" lies as to the reasons.

Looking on Sarah’s mother’s FB, she looks like she would be very accepting. Maybe the family did not approve of the harsh way the kids were treated

bbm. What someone seems to be on Facebook is not necessarily indicative of what they are like IRL, as this case shows. I know someone whose mother on Facebook seems like the loveliest, sweetest older woman. That mother quite literally kicked her 14 year old daughter out of the house when the daughter confided to her that she thought she might be attracted to women. 14 years old, kicked out and told never to come back. Now, of course, we don't know what the parents of Jen and Sarah are like, and a story like that might be horrifying to them, but we really don't have any idea.

That might make sense IF Cheryl Hart is a co-worker and Sarah worked Saturday's? --Still, it's a really odd time to send a text.

Truly. It also seems an odd time to text a friend about being so sick at 3 a.m. Saturday that you might go to the hospital and miss work *Monday* (which I believe was the day referenced.) Normally, you'd wait to see if you were going to the hospital, not text a friend at 3AM that you *might* go there. And if you called at that hour simply for a shoulder to cry on about thinking you needed a hospital, and you had the rare sort of friend who answers texts in the middle of the night, then you'd certainly reply to her responses (which SH didn't), lest your friend panic and call 911.

Normally, I'd think a spouse would let work people know if you were suddenly so sick you were admitted to the hospital over the weekend and were too incapacitated to call in. And not by text, but by phone call.

So I'm not entirely convinced SH sent that text. Sounds more to me like someone wanted to delay alarm at SH's absence from work Monday, though instead it effectively raised alarm bells with her friend (who called LE Monday).

human, that was a beautiful and accurate and moving post. thanks so much.....can we clone you?

Ha ha. I made plenty of mistakes that haunt me as I learned as I went along. But truly, the last few years of teaching were the most incredible because of the training I received.

The most incredible teacher I ever saw was Julie Erickson at the U of MN in Minneapolis. She had a program with children with huge issues. She would even ride the bus home with them to see what was what.

She tolerated being hit and scratched and whatever else so that she could reach their big emotions.

bbm. What someone seems to be on Facebook is not necessarily indicative of what they are like IRL, as this case shows. I know someone whose mother on Facebook seems like the loveliest, sweetest older woman. That mother quite literally kicked her 14 year old daughter out of the house when the daughter confided to her that she thought she might be attracted to women. 14 years old, kicked out and told never to come back. Now, of course, we don't know what the parents of Jen and Sarah are like, and a story like that might be horrifying to them, but we really don't have any idea.

Yes, that is true for sure. Look at their FB. But I do not think it was a severing because of political views on the world. Whatever it was . Who knows.

This was all with kids of varying abilities and ethnicities. In all of my years, I did not have to resort to punishment. The children were able to work as a team and we could discuss and brainstorm.or they could express their anger and we would listen. That is all they wanted. Someone to listen. The original issue did not even matter after the child was heard. We would ask what the child wanted out of the situation. It was so amazing.

This is all so true for adults, too!

Wonderful post, Human.

A picture of Hannah from September 2011, before she lost her front teeth, showing a very bright smile.

View attachment 132911

If you zoom in close her two front teeth are missing. Matter of fact on the remember the heart kids FB. There are photos of her wearing the same outfit with her mouth closed and a closeup with her teeth missing. There are 485 plus of photos.

If you zoom in close her two front teeth are missing. Matter of fact on the remember the heart kids FB. There are photos of her wearing the same outfit with her mouth closed and a closeup with her teeth missing. There are 485 plus of photos.

Huh? Missing? I notice Devonte is the only one out of the children who is NOT wearing glasses and his left hand could be in a fist.🤷🏾*♀️

MOO*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member