GUILTY MI - Lost Teen Narrowly Escapes Being Shot, Rochester Hills, Apr 2018

So, Mrs Z would have known from the security system that a black person was knocking at the door.
She opened the door anyway and flipped out on him.
The man of the hour comes downstairs, grabs his gun and goes after the teen.
The safety was on so he missed shooting him in the back. Mr Z tries again and misses.
It seems to me like Mr and Mrs were spoiling for a fight and this young man happened to come by. IMO
I wonder if she yelled at him to stop when he went after the teen?

Did I miss anything in this?
One thing I can think of that you missed. He said he went to that house because it had a neighborhood watch sticker. MOO

I wasn't certain about the attendance area for Rochester High School and looked it up this morning. It's at this link in a PDF. https://www.rochester.k12.mi.us/pages/5055/attendance-maps

It's entirely possible that the teen lives on the west side of Adams and isn't familiar with the subdivisions along the bus route to the school. RHS start time is 7:30AM which means that bus riders could be picked up at 6:45. Streetlamps are rare in most subdivisions in RH and are usually only at main entrances. For much of the school year, students ride the bus in the dark and may not be familiar with the route.

BBM
You may be right (you usually are), but I think he almost certainly knew his bus route. (Even if he rode to school in the dark, wouldn't it be daylight when he rode home, or vice versa?)

At any rate, missing his bus would already mean he was going to be late for school. Because he's now on foot (and bus routes aren't usually the shortest distance between two points imo), he needed to save time by making a beeline to school, e.g. take a shortcut, which is how he ended up lost in unfamiliar territory.

And then... he had the colossal bad luck to seek help at the benign-appearing door of Mr&MrsZieglerFollies from Hell... something that even his obviously bright, loving parents couldn't prepare him.

Blessedly, at the unreasonable and shocking sight of a gun, the hair on the back of his neck stood-on-end and he instinctively ran for his life.
All Imho.

I honestly don't understand how anyone could defend this guy. Even if this kid was planning to rob them (which he wasn't), you can't shoot someone outside your home when they're running away. They were safe in their home WITH A GUN. A retired firefighter? Nah, he wasn't afraid. He wanted to kill a specific type of person.

What a sad time in the USA.

One thing I can think of that you missed. He said he went to that house because it had a neighborhood watch sticker. MOO

Holy..... just wow.
I have been that lost kid who had to knock and ask for directions.
I picked a house with a McGruff sticker. You know, that dog?
We had just moved and I got off the wrong bus stop.
Luckily it was 20 years ago and I was a white, blonde, female but still....

I HATE when anyone knocks on my door or rings the door bell.
I almost never answer it. However, I don't assume they are there to rob me.
I just don't like peopling!

I don't have a gun because I know one day I'd use it on an idiot like this homeowner.

It seems this guy has a history - he fired his gun at someone a few years back in a road rage incident. I wonder why he didn't have his license removed then? This was very nearly a tragedy.

Owning a shotgun requires no license.

A nice hefty prison sentence, and Trayvon Martin was just hurrying home with skittles. Please. Until we can all get real and admit there is crime and wrongdoing on both sides, this crap will go on and on and on, ad infinitum.

The teen was "lost" and the guy with the gun was "irrational and violent". LOL, nice try. What I see is a man frightened by crime, not ready to be the next victim.

Look, there are 2 sides to every story. I don't have the "truth" from either side, and neither do you. All we have is what you read in the papers/internet. If we dig a little/lot, I'll betcha we could come up with more dirt/excuses for both sides. Why don't we cut the crap and tell it like it is? Black crime is on the rise and whites have lost all trust. What we need is true, realistic dialogue, not blame or virtue signaling.

Why do we need dirt on the victim? Please explain this entirely racist-seeming post to me, because I am confused as to how anyone could possibly justify this shooting.

Bolded: Gross.

Thanks for this link.

BBM - Glad to see that this young teen got directions from a different homeowner earlier in the morning. Hopefully, that homeowner will come forward and confirm his story.

Why would we need another homeowner to come forward to corroborate the victim's story? Are we doubting that he was in need of directions?

BBM
You may be right (you usually are), but I think he almost certainly knew his bus route. (Even if he rode to school in the dark, wouldn't it be daylight when he rode home, or vice versa?)

At any rate, missing his bus would already mean he was going to be late for school. Because he's now on foot (and bus routes aren't usually the shortest distance between two points imo), he needed to save time by making a beeline to school, e.g. take a shortcut, which is how he ended up lost in unfamiliar territory...

Maybe he knew the bus route; maybe he didn't. We don't know how long the teen has lived in the Rochester School District, nor do we know exactly where he lives. Given that there was mention of him living 4 miles from Rochester High School, I'm inclined to believe that the young man lives west of Adams, possibly in one of the large apartment or townhouse complexes in that area. If he lives in Christian Hills, he would probably be more familiar with the subdivision.

There really isn't a "beeline" through the two large subdivisions between Adams and Livernois. Both have winding streets with limited access to main roads. The most direct route to RHS would have been walking north on Adams to Walton Blvd., then east on Walton to Livernois (RHS is on Livernois just south of Walton Blvd.). The route is approximately 4 miles - a long way to walk to school.

I don't think this young man will ever oversleep or miss the bus in the future ;)

I would have just stayed home that day.
So kudos to this kid for even trying to go.
He has far more drive than I ever did!

Rochester Hills man accused of firing shotgun at teen asking for directions appears in court

ROCHESTER HILLS, Mich. - A Rochester Hills man was in court Tuesday for a probable cause conference in connection with accusations that he chased a 14-year-old boy away from his porch and fired a shotgun toward him after the teen knocked on his door to ask for directions to school.

Jeffrey Zeigler, 53, is charged with assault with intent to murder and felony firearms violations.

Deputies responded about 8:20 a.m. Thursday to the home in the 2200 block of South Christian Hills Drive after a caller said someone was trying to break into her home...

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...un-at-teen-asking-for-directions-due-in-court

Rochester Hills man accused of firing shotgun at teen asking for directions appears in court

ROCHESTER HILLS, Mich. - A Rochester Hills man was in court Tuesday for a probable cause conference in connection with accusations that he chased a 14-year-old boy away from his porch and fired a shotgun toward him after the teen knocked on his door to ask for directions to school.

Jeffrey Zeigler, 53, is charged with assault with intent to murder and felony firearms violations.

Deputies responded about 8:20 a.m. Thursday to the home in the 2200 block of South Christian Hills Drive after a caller said someone was trying to break into her home...

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...un-at-teen-asking-for-directions-due-in-court

I was just coming to post this too, BDE. I should have known you'd be on it right away! Nothing huge or new in the article, but a good write up IMO. Police chief says there is no justification. None.

I admit, I am curious what Z is alluding to with his whole "there is a lot more to the story"... but not curious enough to believe him at this point when he has had time to reflect and query counsel and concoct a story.

Renisha McBride... I still think of her... https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...Nov-1-2-2013/page19&highlight=renisha+mcbride

This is from March in re her killer. No new trial: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/n...fer-denied-new-trial-porch-shooting/32778751/

I was just coming to post this too, BDE. I should have known you'd be on it right away! Nothing huge or new in the article, but a good write up IMO. Police chief says there is no justification. None.

I admit, I am curious what Z is alluding to with his whole "there is a lot more to the story"... but not curious enough to believe him at this point when he has had time to reflect and query counsel and concoct a story...

I'm guessing it's the "story" that he and his attorneys will concoct in their efforts to defend the perp. Good luck with that! It's been reported that the entire incident was captured on the Ziegler's security video. According to Sheriff, the "story" told by JZ is much different from what's on the video.

Judge upholds order to keep Rochester Hills man from city where shooting occurred

An Oakland County judge is holding tight to a bond condition requiring a Rochester Hills man to stay 10 miles from his home and the city where he’s accused of shooting at a teenager who reportedly came to his house to ask for directions.

Jeffrey Zeigler, 53, recently asked Oakland Circuit Judge Wendy Potts to allow him to return to his Rochester Hills residence while his court case continues, saying the restriction poses difficulties with his employment. He reportedly does house renovations and other contract work, much of it in the restricted zone. Potts denied the request.
Zeigler is on a tether and reportedly staying with his parents at their home in Macomb County. His trial is scheduled for Oct. 8.

A video of a Rochester Hills man who appears to be firing his gun in the direction of a fleeing teen could be raising serious doubt in jurors’ minds about his claim that the shooting was accidental, as his trial continues in Oakland County Circuit Court.

The video, shown in court on the trial’s second day, was recorded by a home surveillance system owned by Jeffrey Zeigler, 43, who’s charged with attempted murder and felony firearm in the April 12 incident on South Christian Hills Drive. Zeigler is accused of shooting at Brennan Walker, 14 at the time, who reportedly stopped at his house that morning to ask for directions to school after missing his bus.
Jurors view video of Rochester Hills shooting as trial continues

They're white, they're armed, and they're empowered. Whether or not threats are real or they just perceive them to be, expect more shootings and close calls like this one throughout the coming years. This country is coming apart at the seams, and this sort of gun violence is a big part of the rending of our national cloak.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back