GUILTY Denmark - Kim Wall, 30, Copenhagen, 10 Aug 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good riddance, hope the appeal is completely unsuccessful. Slightly surprised at how quickly it came through, but that I guess shows just how obvious his guilt was. Throw away the key!

Peter Madsen has been found guilty of premeditated murder and sexual assault after previously admitting to dismembering Ms Wall's body on the submarine and throwing her remains overboard.

He has been sentenced to life in prison without parole.

Judge Burkoe said, "It is the court's assessment that the defendant killed Kim Wall”.

"We are talking about a cynical and planned sexual assault and brutal murder of a random woman, who in connection with her journalistic work had accepted an offer to go sailing in the defendant's submarine."

She said Madsen had "failed to give trustworthy explanations" and had "shown interest for killing and maiming of people and has shown interest for impaling".

Madsen's shifting and unconvincing explanations helped convict him.

Initially, he said he had dropped Ms Wall off the night before she disappeared and had not seen her since.

The next day he gave police a new account of events, telling them there had been a "terrible accident" on board the self-built submarine. He said she had been accidentally hit on the head by the submarine's 70kg (150lb) hatch. He had then dumped her body somewhere in Koge Bay.

On 30 October, the police said Madsen had changed his story again. He said Ms Wall had died on board of carbon monoxide poisoning while he was up on deck. He also admitted dismembering her body, which he had previously denied

One study shows the number of life-termers in Danish prisons increased from 10 in 1997 to 25 in 2013. The 2015 study said only every fifth or sixth murder convict was serving life.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43894495

Madsen was found guilty on all three charges: premeditated murder, the indecent handling of a corpse and “sexual relations other than intercourse of a particularly dangerous nature” evidenced by stab wounds inside and outside Wall’s genital area.

Judge Burkoe described the crime as “a cynical and planned sexual murder of a severe brutal nature against a random woman.” She said he dismembered Wall’s body in order to hide his crime and that he had not provided a reasonable explanation for the injuries found on her body or for his decision to bring a saw, screwdrivers and other items onto the submarine.

On Monday, Madsen was asked if he wanted to make a last statement before the jury went into deliberation. Madsen said, “If anything, I am sorry about what happened”.

The life sentence was based on Madsen’s mental examination which concluded that he remains dangerous, has psychotic traits, appears unfeeling and untrustworthy, suffers from lack of empathy and is highly sexually deviant.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/04/25/europe/kim-wall-murder-peter-madsen-intl/index.html

The BIB says it all, “If anything, I am sorry”. He even struggles to say that. I sincerely hope this monster serves a life sentence without parole because that’s exactly what he deserves.

Many thanks to those posting on here for weeks through the court case .
You have contributed a huge amount to this thread .
Happy to see Rocket Madsen locked away, charged as guilty !

Here is the full verdict from the trial today, as it is stated on the official court-webpage:

https://translate.google.com/transl...der/domsresumeer/Pages/Domiub%C3%A5dssag.aspx

Translated by google, so be imaginative...

I apologise for homing in on ludicrous Google Translate-isms concerning the orange-handled saw, yet again. I can't help myself, it's the only light relief we have. It has been an orange wristwatch, and an orange-scented fox-hood, and now it's a fog hood with orange handles.

I apologise for homing in on ludicrous Google Translate-isms concerning the orange-handled saw, yet again. I can't help myself, it's the only light relief we have. It has been an orange wristwatch, and an orange-scented fox-hood, and now it's a fog hood with orange handles.

Fits all of PM´s ever changing and ridiculous explanations for what happened. :)

RSBM

On Monday, Madsen was asked if he wanted to make a last statement before the jury went into deliberation. Madsen said, “If anything, I am sorry about what happened”.

The life sentence was based on Madsen’s mental examination which concluded that he remains dangerous, has psychotic traits, appears unfeeling and untrustworthy, suffers from lack of empathy and is highly sexually deviant.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/04/25/europe/kim-wall-murder-peter-madsen-intl/index.html

The BIB says it all, “If anything, I am sorry”. He even struggles to say that. I sincerely hope this monster serves a life sentence without parole because that’s exactly what he deserves.

Yes - I've seen that 'apology' made to sound more genuine than I think it was in some English-language accounts so would be interested in Danish views of this:
'Ikke andet, end jeg er rigtig, rigtig ked af det som er sket'.
I see he repeated 'very' before 'sorry', which does sound sorrier than this version, but doesn't the last bit sound as though it just happened, not his fault? Of course that's what he's maintaining.

And how does that 'ikke andet' sound? It is 'If anything' isn't it? And if so that is really awful - the articles that miss that out are missing the tone altogether.

Yes - I've seen that 'apology' made to sound more genuine than I think it was in some English-language accounts so would be interested in Danish views of this:
'Ikke andet, end jeg er rigtig, rigtig ked af det som er sket'.
I see he repeated 'very' before 'sorry', which does sound sorrier than this version, but doesn't the last bit sound as though it just happened, not his fault? Of course that's what he's maintaining.

And how does that 'ikke andet' sound? It is 'If anything' isn't it? And if so that is really awful - the articles that miss that out are missing the tone altogether.

Oh gawd, I had written a long explanation, point by point.... and my computer went down!

OK, It is a very superficial and not sincere apology (not even an apology) with a total distance to his crime - like he has not a thing to do with it.

My short version!

Ikke andet end - means, (I don´t have) anything else (to say) than
Rigtig, rigtig, (really, really) is an irritating phrase which is used a lot. There is distance in it and superficiality.
Ked af, isn´t a proper "sorry" - very mild apology, if that even.
Det som er sket, OMG, the nutcase totally distances himself from his horrendous crime. "What happened" - is the best translation of that.

So my best shot at a translation is:
I don´t have anything else to say than, I really, really regret what happened.

Oh gawd, I had written a long explanation, point by point.... and my computer went down!

OK, It is a very superficial and not sincere apology (not even an apology) with a total distance to his crime - like he has not a thing to do with it.

My short version!

Rigtig, rigtig, (really, really) is an irritating phrase which is used a lot. There is distance in it and superficiality.
Det som er sket, OMG, the nutcase totally distances himself from his horrendous crime. "What happened" - is the best translation of that.

BBM (the last sentence)

"What happened?"

Also an infamous question asked by a journalist-friend of Kim Wall.

My short version!

I would not use "regret". I dont think he regrets anything.
I would translate it like this:
I don´t have anything else to say other than I am very very sad about what happened.

I dont think he is sad about anything either though

Threre is still no info about what content the appeal will have.

Betina Hald Engmark visited Peter Madsen in prison this afternoon after being sentenced to the country's most severe punishment - lifetime.
"Of course, he is very affected and in a situation where he is very contemplating what is going to happen. He just has to sink it all in, says the defender.

Today she appealed the verdict on the spot on behalf of her client, but how the appeal should be precisely designed will be decided only later.
- He is considering what the content of this appeal should be. Then we have to wait and see until he has thought about it. I knew there was not anyone who heard me say in court whether it was a evidence-appeal or a sentence-appeal, "says Betina Hald Engmark, adding that Peter Madsen of course gets advice and guidance from her. "But it is him who has to make the choices to be made," she says.

- I can not say when we have an answer for the appeal. It is appealed, and then we must see if it is with one or the other content.
"It is primarily that there can be a distinction between. But it is appealed, and that is what we can relate to right now, she says.

https://translate.google.com/transl...varer-han-overvejer-indholdet-af-anke/7132341

I don´t have anything else to say other than I am very very sad about what happened.

No he isn't. He neither regrets nor is sad about anything except being caught and convicted. 'Regret' is often used entirely formally, not sincerely in English, whereas 'sad' (though also often annoyingly insincere these days) still retains some feeling, I think.

To capture the banality of his words in Danish, I think we should stick to 'sorry' which is also often absolutely meaningless in English 'I'm really really sorry about what happened'. 'Really really' in English as in Danish (as SATA has said) has a superficial sound.

My short version!

Thanks so much, SATA, and really (honestly!) sorry about your lost labours!

It's a classic case of deleting agency by using an impersonal phrase 'what happened'. (There was a book not long ago called 'Mistakes are made, but not by me', a title which encapsulates this.)

Interesting conversation about being sad or sorry! Yes, language works in mysterious ways and translation doesn't always do it justice. Sometimes the right word simply isn't available. Thank you all so much for clarifying.

What irks me most is the "what happened". For all that PM is sorry, this is not about what HE did, it just happened, like an accident or like rain falls from the sky. This diminishes the preceding sorry because there is no admission of responsibility.

Can't find where I read it, but it was reported that at the end of the trial the Judge asked the defence lawyer if they were going to appeal, and they said yes. IMHO this is a legal thing, part of the proceedings and the defence now has the option to appeal. Had they said no, this might have been the end.

IMHO if there is an appeal, it will probably be about the cause of death and the testimony of Ditte Dyreborg. Plus who had access to computers.

Hi Zazara
Yes 'what happened' is a horribly detached phrase. Of course, he couldn't appeal if he admitted his guilt, could he?
They said there and then that there will be an appeal on conviction and sentence. L_I has posted about it on the previous page #1511, but it's not clear what it's going to be based on.

Hi Zazara
Yes 'what happened' is a horribly detached phrase. Of course, he couldn't appeal if he admitted his guilt, could he?
They said there and then that there will be an appeal on conviction and sentence. L_I has posted about it on the previous page #1511, but it's not clear what it's going to be based on.

He made some admissions, he admitted to cutting her body into pieces.
Still he is sorry about "what happened"

IMHO one can be sorry about causing the family grief, without legally admitting anything.

Extract from an article in The Local, Sweden:
When Judge Anette Burkø arrived in the courtroom, everyone stood up, following Danish court tradition, and she immediately began reading the unanimous verdict, handing down an unusually strong life-sentence while onlookers were still standing.
Most journalists had expected the sentence to come towards the end of the judge's address, when they would already be sitting down with their laptops open ready to file.
There was a sense of frustration as they struggled to find ways to communicate the news to editors and producers. Some pulled out their phones, others balanced laptops in the air.
After the verdict had been delivered Madsen's demeanour underwent a dramatic change. He appeared totally crushed and when the court was allowed to sit, he sat stock still, head bowed and eyes closed for perhaps half a minute as he absorbed it.
The forensic psychiatrist who examined Madsen had identified narcissistic traits, so perhaps he had still been holding onto a hope that the judge and two jurors would be swayed by Engmark's well-put together final arguments, which emphasised the absence of conclusive physical evidence in the case.
If he had been holding onto such a hope, it was demolished the moment Burkø began her address.
After the verdict was delivered, Madsen was led out of the court with Engmark to a back room where they could discuss their response. Minutes later they returned and Engmark announced that Madsen would appeal. By this time Madsen recovered his composure somewhat, and began again to move and look around.
Then the judge and jury left the court, after which Madsen was led away by a police officer, followed by Engmark.
After the trial was over, several members of Wall's family shook hands with one another, perhaps less out of celebration than a sense of completion.

Yeah, I also considered using sad, but that does not cover it either,
.What he said is more superficial than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutalicy